PDA

View Full Version : Rio de Janeiro - Hotels & Apartments

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Member #3427
08-01-04, 20:57
MSJ,

You are correct!! I have stayed at the Marina Palace and they did not charge for bringing (a) or as many different woman as you want back to your room.

Also, I have stayed at the Marriott which did not charge for bringing a woman back. So, contrary to what many says about 5-star hotels..it is possible without even being sneaky about it.

Now, like always, one should call ahead and check and be VERY specific when asking hotels, becuase policies always have a way of changing. And when thye are wanting a bit more revenue. You don't want to find out at 2am with garota in hand.

The Chacal

Cachorro
08-01-04, 22:57
Lorenzo, where did you get those prices? $400-500 per day minimum??

I was thinking more like $25 per day. No, they don't all charge by the hour, look for ones with pricing "diaria" or "pernoite".

Sure, it's not for everyone. If you're only down in Brazil for a week, and you've got a pocket full of money, then by all means go 5 star.

The love motel is not a bad option for someone who is in Brazil for a few months, and doesn't insist on staying in Ipanema or Avenida Atlantica (remember Rio is much more than just Copa).

Euro100
08-02-04, 04:05
Kent,

I have to admit that I stayed at the Ipanema Inn. I did not like it much, but they allowed girls in the room and did not charge extra for this. Plus, it was pretty inexpensive.

Not really a luxury hotel, though, if you know what I mean!

Euro

Lorenzo
08-02-04, 06:45
Cachorro,

I got my figures as follows. When I used Shalimar, one of the best motels, it cost me about $60 for 3 hours, not at all bad considering that it is a luxurious 3-level setting with jacuzzi on the roof, mirrored ceilings, huge waterbed, free coffee, luxurious shower, etc. So extrapolating this $60 figure to 24 hours comes to $480. Even $10 per hour would come come to $240 daily, for which you could stay at a 5-star hotel easily. Besides, I'm not sure you'd want to stay full time. I don't recall these rooms having dressers or closets, for example, and they're usually pretty far from where the action is.

If there really are motels for $25 a day (!?), which is less than what a 2-star hotel would charge, I shudder to think what the quality would be like; you'd probably be sharing your room with a variety of 6-legged creatures. My experience is that you usually get what you pay for (with the possible exception of women, where the correlation between price and quality isn't always high). Anyway, to each his own.

Lorenzo

Rio Fan
08-03-04, 03:59
Hi,

I was thinking about renting an apartment from Rio Apartment Rentals through their web site of the same name. Has anyone rented through them recently? The pictures are the best I've seen from other apartmental rental web sites in the Rio area. One thing I don't like is that they require a 200 or 300 dollar deposit. Is this standard? Also I'm not too thrilled with the pay in cash the full balance one I inspect the apartment and accept the keys. I don't generally fly to Rio with that much cash, because it seems like a very bad idea. Maybe they would accept travelers checks?

Any input would be very appreciated. If anyone has any other apartment rental advise that would be great too. I want to rent a fairly nice place, not a dump.

Thanks again.

Rio Fan

Smirk53
08-03-04, 04:39
Hey guys I need your opinion on something?

There are three newbies going to rio in August. Should we get a hotel (1 room= 3people and considering 3 garotas) ? I don't think there is a way in hell the staff will let us all up in the room. Or should we get a two bedroom apartment. I know that the apartment is much more convienent, but as newbies should we just get a hotel room and go to motels?

Your Opinion is greatly appreciated.

Junior
08-03-04, 18:44
Fellows,

Have anyone been to Rio Roiss lately ?

I got the follwing pricing schedule from them:
Sgl std = R$ 200,00 + 15% taxes
Dbl std = R$ 250,00 + 15% taxes
Sgl lux = R$ 250,00 + 15% taxes
Dbl lux = R$ 350,00 + 15% taxes

Any idea as to what the difference between standard and luxus is ?

Is it my memory or have they increased prices quite a bit ?

Junior

Rezza
08-04-04, 01:12
Rio Fan,

I use rioapartmentrentals all the time and Marco the owner is the best IMHO. He does have the best apartments and he provides a great service. Tell him Rezza recommened you and he will sort you out. A nice guy who runs a honest family business. Stay in the Viera Souto building (Ipanema!) if you can - its costly, but its the best apartment building in Rio, so I been told by Brazilians living in Rio - 24hr room service and 2 pools - had some wikkkid trips staying there - the girls love it :)

The deposit is standard - I still have to pay it even though I go all the time - its business - he needs to know your going to show up and if you don't then he has some compensation. I just deposit it in his account these days, but 1st time I used paypal.

Have fun in Rio.

Cheers,

Rezza

cool-1
08-04-04, 18:10
Junior,

I have been to Rio 5 times-4 of those trips in apts. and once at Rio Roiss. Those prices you listed are higher than when I stayed there (1 1/2 years ago). Rio Roiss has a good location and great staff but the rooms are old and worn (renovation badly needed).The luxury rooms are a little bigger with a double corner window--so their not as dark and depressing as the standard rooms. Do yourself a favor and rent a nice ocean-front apt. for less than half the price of the luxury room at Roiss.

Rio Fan
08-05-04, 02:26
Rezza,

Thanks much for the info. So thats what the VS on VS41 stands for. It's not surprising that I picked one of them. It looks really nice. So no hassels bringing 'friends' back right?

The only other thing that concerns me is this pay with cash on arrival business. I can't imagine for the life of me carrying more than 1,000 US on the plane with me. How do you usually handle this detail?

Thanks again for the info. RF

Rio Fan
08-05-04, 02:34
Smirk53,

The three hotels I've stayed out would not go for that. The three are:

Othon Palace - worst, no girls before 11pm out by 6am
Leblon Palace - one girl no problem, extra 30R
Marina Palace - one girl ok, extra charge depends on whose on duty so hit or miss.

My vote goes to the apartment. RF

Big Nana
08-05-04, 17:22
I was informed by DEBRET hotel that its NOT ok to bring chicas to
room. The scoop I got, a PRO got pissed off and thru brick at the plate galss. Oh well!.

Are the mirimar or otho rio palace GF.

I would appreciate info about GF hotels on ANTLANTICA near Mea Pataca,

Thanks

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending revisions to add standard capitalization throughout the text. To avoid delays in future reports, please refrain from using the "chat room" style of writing with no capital lettering. Thanks!

Paolino
08-05-04, 17:32
Rezza,

is that building on Vieira Souto the one that is located near the Lagoa Rodrigo Freitas with that superb view on Leblon and on the Pedra Dois Iramaos in the back? i'm asking because i saw that Buttman flick with Rocco Siffredi and some other hot-assed chicks, and i think the initial scene has been filmed in that very apartment house you are talking about. Could you just confirm that because i was looking for some phone number to rent that but never found it on the internet (and once i was there i had other things in my mind than looking for that apartment).

Cheers!

Kenn
08-06-04, 12:10
RF, the owners of these apartments do not have merchant accounts with banks and therefore can not take credit cards.
All apartments are paid in cash... I think you would be insane to pay in full before you see the apartment so a small deposit (except for New Years and Carnival ) is the norm. Balance is due in cash in full when you accept the keys……….

Watcher
08-07-04, 04:56
I stayed at the Mirasol Hotel
rua Rodolfo Danta 86
Copacabana

Superior room, Double occupancy,Queen bed, had Dry Sauna in large bathroom with 5 jets in tub/shower.electronic safe/mini fridge, included free breakfast .

On the roof, a small swimming pool, small workout room in glass sunroom, steam room with lounge area and open bar with nice view of city and ocean view. R 227 a night plus taxes .

If you pay the double occupancy rate no fee for girls depending on who is at the front desk and how she dressed?

Is a couple of blocks behind the Copacabana Palace on Atlantica.

This is a nice upscale room, they have cheaper and smaller rooms.
I heard of this hotel from a WSG. member.

Big Nana
08-08-04, 01:51
It seems to be beach front hotels are not all that GF.

Has anybody had any experience with the MIRIMAR, COPACABANA

On the 3600 block.

MSJ44
08-08-04, 07:10
Received several emails from the folks at Ipanema.com on accomadations, and was told booking at the double rate for the Princess Copacabana will allow for bring chicas back (discreetly). Planning on being there in Sept., and will report back on status via laptop.

Young & Restless
08-08-04, 12:55
Big Nana,

I stayed at the Miramar back in 2001. I thought that the hotel was very nice, however they did not allow girls back to your room (they would not even let the girls wait for you in the lobby area).

As far as the rooms go, they are nice although I never could get the room as cold as I wanted it. The A/C ended up shutting down completely, but all it took was a call to the front desk and they put me in a different room on the top floor with a balcony. The view was postcard quality. I highly recommend this room to anyone that wants to stay at the Miramar.

The A/C in my new room started acting up on my last 1.5 days at the hotel, but not enough to feel uncomfortable. I think that Brazilian's in general are accustomed to more extreme temperatures and don't particularly like the room temperature to be as low as Americans do per se, so they probably manufacture their A/Cs accordingly. I might have pushed this A/C to a level that it had not been to before. Many of the girls that I have brought back to my room at other hotel/motels would always say "muito frio!!" when they entered my room and in the meantime, I can feel beads of sweat on my forehead.

The Miramar also has a great rooftop bar w/ swimming pool (never used the swimming pool, but I did see some non-pro hotties there while I was having some drinks at the bar). The view from the patio outside the rooftop bar was incredible at nighttime. This hotel also has an excellent restaurant and I think the breakfast was included w/ the price of the room (that was the perfect medicine after all of the beer and sex from the night before!!).

If the Miramar is still not garota friendly, the Vanity motel is only two blocks back and one over to the right from Miramar (on an earlier post, I wrote how much they charged me). I made the mistake one night of leaving the Vanity at about 4AM and on my way back too the Miramar, I found myself walking down an unlit alley w/ a few small crowds huddled together. I felt a little uncomfortable, but made it a point not to show any signs of fear (I think that is always the most important thing to do). Looking back, I know that it was a stupid thing to do. Best thing to do would have been to stay until day break, but if you absolutely have to leave, get a cab or walk straight to Av. Atlantica and then head for the Miramar. Damn!! Ok, I realize that I'm getting carried away here (happens every time that I post!).

I have stayed at better hotels in Rio, but the balcony view from my room and the patio view from the rooftop bar keeps this hotel in the race w/ some of the better ones. Don’t let my comments about the A/C make you wobbly about staying at this hotel. I recommend the Miramar and I’m sure that A/C incident was just a fluke. Honestly, I think this would be the perfect monger hotel if they would just allow girls back to your room, because it's nice, moderately priced and they have good accommodations.

In the name of research, I went inside the Miramar during my trip to Rio late last year (you can read the post on my trip in the regular forum) and their garota policy had not changed (neither had their staff).

Here’s a link to their website, if interested:

http://www.windsorhoteis.com/miramar/index.html

Have fun!!

Y & R

Big Nana
08-08-04, 15:58
YOUNG & RESTLESS

Thanks for your data. Beside the Luxor Continental are there any GF *** to **** hotals, becahfront within the vicinity of Help or nearby?

How do you rate California Othon?

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending revisions to fix dozens of simple writing errors including missing punctuation, peculiar punctuation, missing capitalization, multiple periods throughout the text, etc. To avoid delays in future reports, please proof-read your reports before posting them. Please review the Forum's Posting Guidelines (http://www.wsgforum.com/postingguidelines.html) for further information. Thanks!

Big Nana
08-08-04, 16:11
Y & R, thanks for info.

To all,

I've read numerous reports some are conflicting. Are there any *** TO **** beachfrot hotels in the vicinity of HELP that are GF?

California Othon or others?

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending revisions to fix dozens of simple writing errors including missing punctuation, peculiar punctuation, missing capitalization, multiple periods throughout the text, etc. To avoid delays in future reports, please proof-read your reports before posting them. Please review the Forum's Posting Guidelines (http://www.wsgforum.com/postingguidelines.html) for further information. Thanks!

Bazinga
08-10-04, 00:27
The Apoadoar Inn.

Apoadoar seems to be a small area nestled between Ipenema and Copa. Its known for its large rock formation and also where the surfers go. This small (5 floors) hotel is right on the beach and you can wake every morning to the sound of roaring waves (street side gets you traffic noise).

The rooms seem to be standard size (not big or small) and the mattress was pretty decent, I had no complaints and I complain about my own mattress. I believe the rates were 288 real por noite for the waterfront and no charge for the garota and a free morning buffet.
Oh yea, not really close enough to walk to help. but taxis are coming by constantly.

Young & Restless
08-10-04, 01:19
Big Nana,

Don't have any feedback on the California Othon... sorry. You might look into the Luxor Regente or the Hotel California (such a lovely place!). I have not stayed at either of these hotels, but have read several recent post on here about them being GF friendly, they are right on the beach and I know that they are decent hotels. I'd be willing to bet that they both will charge a fee to bring a girl back to your room, but everyone has to have their slice of the pie.

Y & R

Jonny Hit Run
08-10-04, 05:47
California Othon just booked by a friend of mine($57.00 USD/NT)Ocean View room (not Ocean Front.)

He claims they initially said that guests were against their policy and therefore not allowed. He emailed them saying he would not stay there without the ability to bring in guests. They said after the 2nd email it would be possible for an additional R100.00

I'm not sure it's a fair price but better to express your intentions in advance. I told him to bring the email confirmation just in case

He's in and I'll be close by at The Marriott Aug 26th- Sep 5th if anyone's interested in partying with a couple of fun loving middle aged mongers from LA.

Rio Bob
08-10-04, 23:31
Young & Restless

The Othon California and the Hotel California are the same hotel

Young & Restless
08-11-04, 00:27
Rio Bob,

Thanks for pointing that out. I remember the picture that you posted on the regular board, but did not know that it was called Othon California as well. Really the only two that I can give first-hand feedback on are the Miramar and the Marriott. The Rio Roiss has been pretty well covered, but I'll be able to give info on that one for anyone interested after November.

Cheers,

Y & R

Rio Bob
08-11-04, 02:50
Young & Restless
Like several hotels in Rio they have changed hands through the years, The California hotel was bought by the Othon chain at some point and slightly changed the name. So has the Miramar Palace hotel which I have stayed in twice, once no problem bringing girls in then the second time no girls were permitted. Good thing I did not pay up front for the total stay because when I found out about their policy I checked out immediately and moved into the Debret. Don't get caught paying in full before you go unless your 100% sure they allow girls in because it is a big pain in the neck going to a love motel every night not just an added expense but a pain in the butt as you have to leave when you are finished at maybe 5 in the morning.

Young & Restless
08-11-04, 13:36
Rio Bob,

Good point about getting locked into paying in full. That's what happened to me on my first trip to Rio (air/hotel package). I did get a good rate on the room & flight, but as you said it's a pain in the ass when the hotel won't allow girls back to your room. I found out about the Debret after the fact, but was not too impressed when I peaked in there last year (the room w/ a balcony was kinda cool though). I may be in for a rude awakening when I go to the Rio Roiss, but if it's just really bad, I'll be outta there in 2-minutes & 2-seconds!

Y & R

Big Nana
08-13-04, 02:20
I've mailed both LUXOR REGENT &LUXOR CONTINENTAL inquiring if it is ok to bring a guest for the night. There was no response. Is that a polite "no"?

I am looking for a GF hotel on ,r within a block of beach.

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending revisions to add standard capitalization throughout the text. To avoid delays in future reports, please refrain from using the "chat room" style of writing with no capital lettering. Thanks!

Kent747
08-13-04, 03:41
Just got back from Rio and Sao Paulo this morning. I decided to go to Rio without a hotel reservation. During my flight to Rio, I decided to try out Leblon Palace since they do allow girls and I wanted to stay in Leblon since I liked the area when I stayed in Marina Palace last year.

Apparently, Leblon Palace was very slow when I walked in. They offered me a R$ 160 plus tax rate (instead of published R$ rate) if I would stay over three nights or more. I gladly took the deal and I ended up staying for four nights. The room was just an average for Brazilian standards (about 2 stars in US standards; my room had a partial ocean view) which was fine for me since I was under a more tight budget this time around.

Leblon Palace's breakfast was a dissapointment since it was only a continental breakfast (no eggs and bacons). The restaurant offered a good buffet lunch (you pay by weight of food) at very reasonable price.

Overall, I would stay in Leblon Palace since it is in one of most desirable area of Rio and offers good value.

Rabo Verde
08-17-04, 20:27
Wow thanks for the tip regarding Leblon Palace. That is a great area! Actually that was not a special deal, apparently it is an ongoing sale 600R FOR 4 NIGHTS = $50usd PER NIGHT) for staying 4 nights or more:

http://www.leblonpalace.com.br/

Travel Capt
08-20-04, 02:30
Hi Guys, mongers

Budget, brings up a question I wanted to ask.

How much do you thing it will cost to do Rio for a week?

While one stays on the beach. with a new lady each night.

Count in a round trip flight from Houston.

Cap!

Hondo12
08-24-04, 18:58
I'm planning a trip to Rio in November. Can you guys help me out with the following hotels:

California Othon
Debret
Rio Roiss

Which hotels are girl friendly?

Do they charge for overnight guests?

How is the breakfast?

Which one has the nicest standard rooms?

I appreciate the help. I'll reward you guys with many pictures.

Gatorman
08-27-04, 02:50
I was at the Debret in early August. The front desk told me no guests. They allowed my girlfriend up, but I had to register a room for two. No others allowed.

The Rio Roiss was chica friendly the last time I checked, about six month ago. They charge slightly more for guests. The good thing about these two hotels is the prime location very close to Help.
Also there are several rent by the hour love motels close by which provides another option. Boa sorte.

Lorenzo
08-27-04, 21:08
Hondo12,

The only one of these I can comment on is the Debret, which was girl friendly for many years, but no longer is. I stayed there many times, but no more. They used to charge for overnite guests, but now they don't allow them at all. The only hope would be if you have the same girl every night, then you can book a double room. A pity, since they have good breakfasts, are right by the beach, and are reasonably priced.

I've heard Rio Roiss is a true monger hotel, but I can't say personally.

You might consider Augusto's or Atlantico Flat Service, which I'm going to report on very shortly. I just don't have the specifics available right now.

Lorenzo

Hondo12
08-28-04, 01:26
Thanks.

I emailed the Debret, and they said they no longer allow guests. The Othon responded and said all of their hotels allow guests. I've come to depend on this board so much for my upcoming trip that I'm leary with that response. I don't think read anywhere that the Othon hotels were guest friendly. I think I'll do what someone suggested and book are room prior to my trip for two or three days, and go from there.

Junior
08-28-04, 05:51
Hondo12,

I have used Rio Roiss several times in the past and recommend it for mongers.

There are never any problems bringing guests to your room. If you book a double room there is no fee either - even when the name of the second occupant varies a lot.

Breakfast is average and the rooms could use an upgrade. But it is clean and safe. It is located just around the corner from Help and a short taxi ride or brisk walk away from several termas.

The staff know why you are in Rio if you are a single man. I have recieved several good tips and suggestions from them as to where I should chase women.

My conclusion: If you go to monger and want to bring girls to your room it is a very good choice. If you go as a regular tourist and would like a nice hotel, find somewhere else.

Exec Talent
08-28-04, 14:57
leblon palace is no longer offering the 4 days @ r$ 600 special. the rate is now $r189 (r$198 with tax) per night since the hotel is full. too many people found out about a good thing.

any other suggestions for apartments or hotels with high-speed internet?

Veterano
08-28-04, 23:35
Does anyone know of a luxury apt-hotel located vicinity Ceasar Park Hotel?

Thanks for the info.

Kenn
08-30-04, 11:39
Exec Talent, you need an apt. with internet for what dates?????

Rio Bob
09-01-04, 02:35
Hondo12

Most of the Othon Hotels in Rio are probably guest friendly because most of them are 3 star. The Rio Othon Palace which at one time was 5 star is probably now considered 4 star as it is in need of a face lift. This is the only Othon Palace that flip flops from guest friendly to not guest friendly but now since I am sure most people have stayed away they may be allowing guests now as I heard so does the Marriott. I am surprised at the Debret but I guess they have new management and I stopped staying there several years ago when they made a $150 mistake on my bill and wouldn't give it back until I smeared their name and they got cancellations.

Rabo Verde
09-01-04, 04:36
There is a great deluxe Apart-Hotel just a half block from the Cesar Park. Great Ipanema location, totally girl-friendly, in a very high class bldg., 2br/2ba with kitchen, good a/c, phone, doorman, hair salon, one block from beach, etc. This is where, IBM and similar companies put up their execs. There is only one internet computer in the lobby (free), but there are two bookstores around the corner with cheap Internet cafes on the second floor.

== Ipanema Tower.

http://ipanematower.com.br/ingles/index.html

Published rates are about $120 a night, but if you are staying for a week or more you can email or call Claudia in reservations and if you are really nice you can usually negotiate a lower rate than the published rate, e.g. around $90. The "Deluxe" apts are not worth the extra price, they are the same except higher in the bldg. (slightly less street noise and a small view from the balcony). and they will often upgrade you if they have an open one anyway, especially if you slip the guy 50R when you check in.

For other less-expensive apartments, especially in Copacabana. I would PM KENN on this board. He hooked me up on my first two trips. Now I like Ipanema better.

High on Hobbyin
09-07-04, 12:41
Big Nana

RE: I've mailed both LUXOR REGENT &LUXOR CONTINENTAL inquiring if it is ok to bring a guest for the night. There was no response. Is that a polite "no"?

I am looking for a GF hotel on ,r within a block of beach.

I stayed at the Luxor Regent twice in Jan 2002. During my week there they did allow guests, but required a 50R registration fee for each guest. ...and only one guest at a time I believe. On my return enroute home the manager said they did not allow guests. I told him that the other night manager from my last visist a few weeks earlier always allowed my guest's to visit as long as I registered them. He shuffled a few papers then allow my guest to registar.

My gut feeling is that the Luxors would prefer not having guests because they have a large contingent of families and couples. I'd venture to say that during the day it'd be improbable that the Regent would allow a guest. Late night after the more normal guest has retired for the evening, I'd bet you're chances of having a guest increase. FYI the Regent has a side exit that might allow one to sneak a guest in, but keep in mind that the Regent had a lot of bell men and staff and could catch you.

The less expensive rooms at the Regent didn't have a thermostat. They simply had a remote lever that openned or closed the vent with cold air. And cheap rooms have the view was the alley in back of the hotel... Kind miserable looking. Clean, well kept but not the most luxurious. Also if you stay at the Regent, remember the "women" standing out front near the cars and changing clothes late at night are TVs! To each there own!

Cantor
09-08-04, 09:45
Just a few days ago ( 04Sep 2004), Luxor Regente allowed me to bring in a garota from Help but because she did not checked-in with me for a room booked for double occupancy, I had to pay the $R 50 fee. My personal opinion about the Help/garota scene is that this is simply a waste of precious time and money in Rio.

Copper1968
09-11-04, 21:51
Just a question, Ipanema is nicier then Copacabana for staying but what about the girls? Can you pick them as easy from beach like in Copa?

MSJ44
09-13-04, 00:39
Just wanted to note here that the Princess Copacabana is girl friendly when you pay the double rate, which is around R215; and on the weekends R164. So keep it in mind. nice suite type rooms brand new with kitchnette area, seperate living area adn patio. very cool front desk.

Have fun, I´m lovin it here!!

High on Hobbyin
09-13-04, 06:40
Copper1968

I would say it probably isn't as easy to pick up the ladies on the beach at Ipanema when compared to Copacabana. ...though I didn't spend much time on Ipanema. Ipanema has more space, is less touristy along the walk way (fewer beggars and kids peddling junk). It's more upscale and just a 15 minute walk from the southern end of Copacabana.

Also many of the gals who work the Help Disc scene rent beds in apartments close to Help (Those that make enough rent an apartment...those how don't rent a bed). You'll notice that many of the women you see at Help can be found wondering the beach close to Help as well as the outdoor cafes. They're hoping for a free meal and possibly some day time action. You'll also see guy's hanging out with their previous night's TLN ...enjoying the beach, a meal and of course the girl's favorite ...shopping!

Oh, one last thing Ipanema is nicer, but if you plan on staying out late in another neighborhood watch out for the cabbies. The friendly day time attitude seems to depart after 9 or 10 pm. They will often stop using their meters and charge an outrageous fare...take it or leave it. My first time to Centaurus I took a cab. The fare from my hotel to Centaurus was 4 reis. After I knew where it was I walked their. One night I stayed late and it was 20 reis to return (there are a couple of streets are questionable at night ). Ask the price before you get in or make sure that meter is used at night! Some of the ladies won't walk even a few blocks to your hotel. I wonder if it's a safety issue, their pride, that is letting the others see her entering a cab for a two block ride, or possibly a small kick back from the cabbies? If you get in good with a girl, she knows can get local rates even at 2:00am and she'll lookout for you.

Hope this helps!

Young & Restless
09-14-04, 01:01
High on Hobbyin,

You could not have said that any better. The cab drivers during the daytime are usually pretty helpful and I can’t recall having to ever ask one to turn his meter on during daylight hours. During the night it is almost as if they turn into the Brazilian mafia or something.

Walking out of Help and trying to get a taxi is such a major rip-off. There’s usually this one guy outside of Help that speaks a little English and is helping to coordinate the taxis. When he asked me where I was going and I told him the Marriott, he told me R$ 20,00 and I laughed in his face and kept walking. Immediately he tells me “OK, R$ 10,00” and I told him that I wanted a taxi that will use a meter (money is hardly the point here… total principle). He then tells me that they do not use their meters at this time of the evening. I told him to watch me find one. As I started to walk away, he yells, “Hey, this guy will use his meter”. After that night, I ignored that guy as I was leaving Help.

As far as spending the next day with a girl that you met the night before at Help, IMHO that’s just a bad idea. I don’t want to give them any more opportunities at my daily rations than necessary. Besides, when you buy them something from the mall (or anywhere that has a return policy), all they do is bring it back and get a refund the first chance they get.

I hate to sound dismal about Rio and don’t get me wrong, I love all of the good things that it has to offer (headed back again in Nov… yeah!!), but I always take a proactive approach to these little scams and rip-offs. The only thing worse is when a girl from Help ask you to give her an excessive amount of money to pay her taxi fare back home after you just paid for her services... Damn!! LOL!

Sorry this post was off the subject of hotels... will revert to the regular board with any follow-up post.

Happy hunting,

Y & R

Jim Tim
09-16-04, 14:40
Hi Guys,

Quick question for those in the know. Does anyone have any info on the Santa Clara Hotel on Rua Décio Vilares? Came across it while searching for reasonable priced accomodation. Listed as R$105 for a single en-suite which seems pretty cheap. Anyone know if it's a shitehole or not?

Jim

Member #3427
09-16-04, 17:39
This question goes out to all, including KENN,

There are many choices as far as getting a hotel, or apartment goes in Copa or Ipanema. But how would one go about finding a room to rent (i.e....share an apartment with someone) for 6-8 weeks?

For example, I would rather stay in a bit nicer and larger place by sharing it with someone, or renting a room they have. I would think I could do this at as good or less a rate than I would be paying for a solo apartment.

I have looked at quite a few apartments in Rio, online and in person, and notice 2 bedroom apartmetnts plus suit me better than the skimpy one bedrooms, especially at the prices they charge for a solo. Additionally, an internet connection would be ideal! I know, I am looking for the needle in the haystack. But I know if anyone knows how I can accomplish this the seasoned veterans and creative guys out here are the only ones that can.

Thanks,

The Chacal

Rabo Verde
09-21-04, 02:04
I can highly recommend Kenn from

http://www.ez-riorentals.com

for housing. He is fixing up some apts. to U.S. standards, with internet access, etc. He is a Viet Vet who stepped on a mine and lost a leg, but he has an artificial leg and can outwalk me! He now lives on his VA pension in Copacabana. He is super-knowledgable and helpful about everything, so give Kenn a shout and help out a true war hero!

Not much luck picking up girls in Ipanema, most of the girls there are middle or upper class and not very hungry. But Copacabana is a 5 minute, $3 (9R) cab ride. The whole idea is to enjoy the safety and nice atmosphere, bookstores, restaurants, of Ipanema, while going to Copa for fun.

Hondo12
09-22-04, 16:25
Has anyone used riorentals4less? They have some great apartments listed on their site, but I'm a little skeptical since they don't list a phone number or office location on their website.

JustGotBack
09-23-04, 07:32
So I booked my ticket and now I need a place to stay. I'm not a stranger to travel but this is my first time to Rio. I know I should get an apartment, but as a first timer I would feel more comfortable in a hotel. I read the list a few pages back. Is the Rio Rioss the best bet for a girl friendly hotel at the moment. Also is ipanema.com a decent way to book a place. It's been mentioned in a couple of posts and has a lot of hotels. Do any of these hotels run their own sites?

Young & Restless
09-23-04, 14:38
JustGotBack,

Here is the home page for the Rio Roiss (English/Portuguese):

http://www.rioroiss.com.br/

Y & R

MSJ44
09-23-04, 17:43
Justgotback,

promenade.com.br is the addy for Princess Copacabana, and a few other aprt-hotels. Girl friendly when you book at the double rate. I used Ipanema.com too. There a good group.

JustGotBack
09-24-04, 07:01
Thanks everyone.

No Parlezi
09-24-04, 11:32
Hondo12,

John Thompson runs RioRentals4 less... He's a real cool American New York retiree. He hangs out a Meita Pataca a lot. Good recomendation. All of the agencies use the same apartments in Copa. But John is always available, and willing to help you out if you run into a problem.

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending revisions to remove the forced hard returns in the text.

For those of you who may not be familiar with this concept, a "hard return" is created when you press the "enter" key while typing, thus artificially shortening the length of the text by forcing it to begin on the next line. Hard returns are also caused by some word processing and email programs.

More preferable would be a "soft return" wherein the text is allowed to continue automatically on the next line when it reaches the right side of the screen thus automatically adjusting to the varying width of each viewer's screen.

If your reports are being composed in a word processing or email program that is artificially inserting hard returns in the text, then please consider composing your Forum reports in another program or in the Forum's "Add New Report" window.

To avoid delays in future reports, please consider composing your report in the Forum or in a word processing program that does not insert hard returns in the text. Thanks!

Hawg Dawggie
09-25-04, 06:42
Based solely on the advice in this forum from Euro 100, I booked a room in the Luxor Continental.

Euro 100 was spot on the money!

The front desk staff gave me absolutely ZERO hassle when I showed up at 1am with my "guest". They DID require her to sign in, but there were no upcharging problems.

One point: Euro 100 said there is no pool at the Luxor Continental. There is actually quite a nice rooftop pool with full bar and restaurant service.

Paid US$79 per night, but the hotel is clean, modern, secure, and definitely garota friendly.

Hawg

JustGotBack
09-28-04, 05:02
After all the advise from you guys I decided to come to my senses and rent an apartment and not stay in a hotel. I have one delimma though. The apartment only comes with 2 or 3 towels and a couple of sets of sheets. Not very much if I entertain. How do you apartment dwellers deal with this? Are there laundry places? Should I just bring my own?

MSJ44
09-28-04, 05:52
Just got back,

There a hell of alot of spots where you can just go buy a few extra towels dirt cheap. You'll see shops all up and down N S Copacabana Ave.

Ricobd
09-28-04, 06:16
Can anyone give me information on the garota policy of Design Hotel Portinari located at Rua Francisco Sa. 17, Rio de Janeiro?

Thanks

Ricobd

Ricobd
09-28-04, 06:25
Additionally, can anyone give me information on the garota policy of Merlin Copacabana Hotel located at Av. Princesa Isabel 392 -Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro?

Thanks

Ricobd

Young & Restless
09-28-04, 06:27
JustGotBack,

Not a bad plan. You will definitely save a lot of money and have way more freedom, no doubt. Who are you renting it from? I am going back in November and I was pondering on the idea of an apartment this time around. I read a post from Gladiator in the regular forum on 6/18 & 6/19 and got a little leery afterwards. Sounds like he got burned pretty bad. Let us know how you make out.

Y & R

JustGotBack
09-28-04, 07:36
I'm renting from gringomanagement. So far so good. The process has been smooth. He's been recommend by a few members. I'll post how it goes when I'm in Rio.

Kenn
09-28-04, 13:00
Hotel Portinari as of the beginning of this year.... it was they frown on guests but they will allow it after 11pm and the guest must be out by 7am.. not sur if they changed their guest policy or not....

Rio Bob
09-29-04, 03:07
JustGotBack

If your renting from gringomanagement then Dave'a sisterinlaw Edna takes care of cleaning the apartment and sheets and towels, I thing she charges 25 reais a visit. I usually have her come like every other day but I do buy some extra towels because they go fast.

RonnyRon
09-29-04, 04:15
Hello Gentlemen,

FYI- Just wanted to give you all a heads up. Do not use this guy name John. His website is www.spectralight.net. Please don't get him confused with John Thompson out of NY. This guy is tall white American guy who lives down in Rio with his wife and daughter. Kind of reminds you of a surfer dude. I used his this year and I was really pissed when I got to the apartment only to find it when not the apartment I thought I was reserving. I got to Rio late, because my AA flight were delayed, so I missed my connection to Rio. I kept walking, once I found out my flight to Rio was gone and was able to get on the the San Paulo flight. By the time I arrived at the apartment my friend had already paid and were unpacked. All in all it wasn't a bad apartment, but it certainly wasn't the apartment I wanted. The guy did discount the cost by $150.00, because I was so pissed, but I only do business with people who give full disclosure.

On my flight home I met another guy who had the same experience with this John. It is not my style to bad mouth people, but I thought you guys should know.

Ricobd
09-29-04, 08:40
Has anyone rented an apartment from

www.rioapartments.com

The business is managed by a Swedish guy named Hakan Olsson.

Your experience and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ricobd

Track Star
09-29-04, 15:15
I was in Rio the first half of September and the Othon Hotels are not "girl friendly". I emailed them before leaving asking for their policy on taking girls to the room. They emailed me back that they had a no visitor to the room policy. So monger friends avoid the Othon Hotels. I had bought my travel package several months ahead before I found this out. I kept the hotel and also rented an apartment in addition so I could indulge in my extracurricular activities.

MSJ44
09-30-04, 03:19
Just a quick thought for those folks looking at hotel options in Rio,
I highly suggest NOT locking yourself in with travel packages where you pay for the hotel in advance. This may be a no brainer to most, but for 1st timers going down not staying in an Apt, unless your 100% sure the hotel is guest friendly, you may end-up an unhappy camper.

I would suggest booking directly with that hotel, or using a service like Ipanema.com where you don't have to guarantee the reservation with a credit card. I certaintly don't want to be an advertisement for them, but based on some of the recent comments by Track Star - this route could save you some pocket cash if you discover your hotel is no go on guests.

Exec Talent
09-30-04, 18:21
Ricobd,

I just stayed at Portinari. They strongly discourage overnight guests. They had no problem with my regular girlfriend and said the same would apply if I registered someone at the beginning of my stay. Otherwise, the charge is R$150 per night.

Iron Mike
10-01-04, 12:26
RonnyRon,

I looked at their website spectralight and it seems that his prices are also a bit high.

What did you pay for the apt. you had?

What apartment did you think you were renting and at what price?

Johnny Darko
10-06-04, 13:36
On the strength of some arguments here I decided to stay in an appartment rather than a hotel. Ok, so far so good. Two small queries? One, any recommendable agecies? Two, how much should O expect to pay for a 2-bedroomed app. in Copacabana?

Thanks in advance for all you infor fellow mongerers.

Keep it up,

Johnny

Kenn
10-07-04, 14:02
The price you pay for a 2 bedroom apartment in Copa. depends on the actual apartment you rented. All 2 bedroom apartments are not created equal.
But a ballpark figure should be $75-85.US for something standard and about $120-140.US for an Ocean front 2 bedroom apartment.

Mcintosh
10-07-04, 23:20
I am taking my first trip to Rio in January and would like to know if there are any nice hotels that have onsite "fish bowls" where you can choose the girl you would like to go back with you to your room. The fifth floor at the Amari Airport Hotel in Bangkok has this feature; it makes it very convenient and safe. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Cash Works
10-09-04, 17:45
Kenn, (or anyone else who may know)

I'm trying to get back into my previous profession as a consultant. If I'm successful, sometime in the next 6-12 months, I'll be working offshore at various locations around the world for generally, a month or two at a time. In between jobs, I'll have anywhere from 2 weeks to a couple of months off. Since I'll be limited to the amount of luggage I can carry with me to the job site, I was wondering about secure storage facilities in Rio.

One plan I have is to spend most of my time between jobs in Brasil. Since I'll be limited on the amount of luggage I can take with me to the job site, I'll probably want to leave my "civilized" clothing, etc. in Rio and just take my grungy work clothes with me to the job.

Are there a lot of "self storage" facilities in Rio these days, they seem to be popping up all over the world, but I don't recall seeing any down there 20 years ago, when I was living in Brasil. Does your company (you're with gringo management, right? Sorry if I got that one wrong) provide a "left luggage" service? Any of the hotels?

At this time, I'm not interested in signing a long-term lease on an apartment, since I'll probably be roaming around Brasil for a while, before I pick a place to settle down. There's also the possibility that this whole plan may not pan-out, but I'd still like to have the information, just in case.

CW

Cash Works
10-09-04, 17:52
Kenn,

My appologies, I just did a quick search and found that you are with ez-riorentals, not the other one. I hope you don't hold the mistake against me.

CW

PsyberZombie
10-10-04, 01:33
To : Cash Works

If you need a Sponsor to get you Senior Membership here ,
you can count on me

RonnyRon
10-10-04, 13:50
Iron Mike,

I negotiated for example 1, but ended up with 5 under 4bdrm. Original quote was for $210US a night. We settled on $150.00, bear in mind I was there in the off season. I have rented apartments, which were much nicer for $100.00 US or less a night.

RonnyRon

JoshJosh69
10-10-04, 17:25
Mcintosh,

No fish bowls, try the termas, they're somewhat similar to what you are looking for.

Kenn
10-11-04, 13:20
Cash Works..

No problem.. Not bothered by the mistske at all.

I don't think I have ever seen a self storage location in Rio. either. That being said, I have never actually bothered to look for one..

Cash Works
10-12-04, 23:54
Kenn,

I've been thinking about it and don't think I ever looked for any storage facilities 20 years ago, we never had any restrictions on luggage until about 10-15 years ago when they started doing crew changes almost exclusively by helicopter.

I do remember once in Fortaleza, one of the guys on my crew had a large foot-locker stored in a huge warehouse along with some other equipment that belonged to my company. But I don't think I'd want to rent an entire warehouse for a suitcase or two.

PsyberZombie,

I sent you a rather verbose (as is my way - check out my latest post on the "morality" board if you don't believe me) PM. At the rate I'm going, as a "Regular" member, I'm liable to bypass you on number of posts in another 5 or 6 months.

CW

Bubba Boy
10-13-04, 08:32
A Guide to the Busy season pricing.

I have stayed at the Princess Copacabana, a few times this year. Basically it always has cost R$240 Mon-Thur and then R$165 on Fri-Sun. (add 5% for Tax). Guests have cost zero.

New pricing for Jan & Feb is going to be R$280 + guest fee of R$60.

They are also going to charge the following over 29.12.2004- 02.01.2005. R$600 per night. Similar rate during Carnaval which is around Feb 6 this year. (add 5% for Tax).

I would think come March it will be back to the old R$240 per night deal.

Snowman66
10-17-04, 11:53
Just an fyi - Princess Cococabana has quoted me R$216 per night between mid January and end of January 2005. You may be right about the R$60 per guest as they don't want to answer if there will be any guest fees during that period. If Princess doesn't come down you should contact Rhonda, a Calif. based travel agent who may be able to get you better rates than what was earlier posted.

Wham39
10-20-04, 04:01
After a few days in BA I will be in Rio for 4-5 day then Sao Paulo for a couple of days. The hotels were booked by a goup I will be traveling with. Anyone have any info on these two hotels and their policies with regard to chicks? How about their general location.

Rio: Ipanema Plaza

Sao Paulo: Parthenon

Thanks for any info!

MSJ44
10-22-04, 05:10
Hey Bubba,

How did you get your R$240 rate? I stayed there last month at a rate of R$216 thru ipanema.com, with R$165 weekend rate for one of the pool view doubles. Although as peak season hits, I'm sure the rates will increase. As many of you know, the staff is hella cool, and even though they have not responed directly to you on the guest fee, odds are they wil not be charging extra. Great hotel I can't say enough about.

Bubba Boy
10-22-04, 10:04
Hey Bubba,

How did you get your R$240 rate? I stayed there last month at a rate of R$216 thru ipanema.com, with R$165 weekend rate for one of the pool view doubles. Although as peak season hits, I'm sure the rates will increase. As many of you know, the staff is hella cool, and even though they have not responed directly to you on the guest fee, odds are they wil not be charging extra. Great hotel I can't say enough about.

I booked through their website, I was aware that other people there were getting the R$216 deal. I probably could have gone and negotiated them down but thought for $R24 it wasn't worth it.

Its good to see they are still offering deals in January as well!

Cali41
10-25-04, 00:19
Bubba Boy, MSJ44, Snowman

I was quoted the following in mid-November (see below). Can you guys please clarify the type of room and rate for me. The R$216 you guys are refering to is for the apartment or studio room. They (Princess Copa) told me that the studio (ensuite) room only has bedroom and bathroom. Is there a small sofa/coffee table in studio room as well. There was no mention of a discount (ie R$165) on the weekend.
Also, do they require a credit card or deposit when you book with them. Thanks guys.

Cali

Princess Copacabana ( Rua Xavier da Silveira, 58 - Copacabana)
>
>Apartment - Bedroom, bathroom, small kitchen al balcony facing the swimming
>pool - (sgl/dbl) R$ 240,00 + 5% tax (including breakfast)
>
>Studio - bedroom and bathroom - (sgl/dbl) R$ 170,00 + 5% tax (breakfas is
>included)

MSJ44
10-26-04, 03:27
Cali,

My rate($R216) was for the Apt.( living room, queen size bed, kitchenette,balacony. Definitely make sure you specify that you want the double rate so you will not be charge extra for bring up guests. The $R240 was the rack rate posted in the hotel as you walked in. Considering I stayed for over a week, the $R24 difference was worth it to me.

Not sure if there website requires a credit card to make reservations. Again, at ipanema.com a credit card is not necessary, but that also assumes you will be checking in by 6pm. I personally wouldn't guarantee room with any of the hotels there.

Bubba Boy, MSJ44, Snowman

I was quoted the following in mid-November (see below). Can you guys please clarify the type of room and rate for me. The R$216 you guys are refering to is for the apartment or studio room. They (Princess Copa) told me that the studio (ensuite) room only has bedroom and bathroom. Is there a small sofa/coffee table in studio room as well. There was no mention of a discount (ie R$165) on the weekend.
Also, do they require a credit card or deposit when you book with them. Thanks guys.

Cali

Princess Copacabana ( Rua Xavier da Silveira, 58 - Copacabana)
>
>Apartment - Bedroom, bathroom, small kitchen al balcony facing the swimming
>pool - (sgl/dbl) R$ 240,00 + 5% tax (including breakfast)
>
>Studio - bedroom and bathroom - (sgl/dbl) R$ 170,00 + 5% tax (breakfas is
>included)

QuackUp
10-26-04, 09:26
Does anyone have the website address for the VIP love hotel in Leblon? I tried doing a forum search but nothing comes up. I know it was discussed in the past.

Thanks,

Quackup

Young & Restless
10-27-04, 21:48
Does anyone have the website address for the VIP love hotel in Leblon? I tried doing a forum search but nothing comes up. I know it was discussed in the past.

Thanks,

Quackup

Quackup,

Here ya go:

http://www.vipsmotel.com.br/

QuackUp
10-28-04, 10:02
Thanks a million. Although I will not be back in Rio again until next August, I like to plan ahead. Told my friends about this place but they didn't believe me. Now they can get a clue.

Quackup

MJG Dogs
10-30-04, 03:14
Can anybody give me a ballpark rate for a 2bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment,
In Ipemema. The more I read the more it sounds like a private apartment is the way to go. A buddy of mine and I are planning a trip in Mid- April, for 10-12 days. Can someone also post a map of all the termas, clubs etc:. I have yet to see one on this thread. I would appreciate any help that can be provided.

Being to Costa rica, the Domincan, and Panama, it is time to leave AA ball and go to the Big leagues.

Thanks

Shemp
10-30-04, 06:31
Just returned home from 9 nites in Rio. The 1st 3 nites were spent at the California Othon Classic in Copa on Ave. Atlantica. Based on reports I was pretty sure this place would be garota unfriendly & after I saw the sign on the reception desk checking in that said "Say no to sexual tourism" I never made an attempt to get a garota in. It was ok as I concentrated on the termas for those 3 days and had a blast. I picked this hotel for one reason, it was my 1st trip to rio & I just had to have an oceanfront hotel room with a balcony for part of my stay in rio. The hotel was fairly old & run-down but the views & the balcony were spectacular. It was about R250 a nite-I won't stay there again, but I got what I wanted out of it.

For my final 6 nites I jumped in a taxi and moved over to the Ipanema Towers on Rua Prudente de Morais, near the Ceasar Park Hotel in Ipanema. The rate I reserved was for R280 a nite but after asking for a discount checking in they offered me R230 if I paid cash. I took that deal & quickly figured I had an extra R300 for garotas-what a deal! This place was big & luxurious-2 bedrooms & baths, full kitchen, living room & a giant balcony. Also a pool, gym, 24-hr doorman,internet service, daily maid service & no guest fees for my garotas. The neighborhood was very nice-a lot of posh high-rise apartment buildings. In Copa I felt like a tourist, at the towers I felt like a local who lived there. And all the action of Help, Monte Carlo, etc. are all just a short & cheap, less than a R10 cab ride away. Usually with the garotas we did most of our action on the couch in the living room. We always finished up with the garota on all fours on the end of the couch next to the balcony. I always climaxed in the bunda & from that position I could look at the ocean while pounding away. THAT is why I came to Rio-to be pounding a lovely garota in the bunda on my couch while looking at the waves of the Atlantic Ocean. That was heaven. Highly recommended.

Shemp

Viper10
11-11-04, 00:51
I am going down to Rio during Carnival Feb. 3- 13th. I know that Ipanema is usually the place to stay at nowadays, but how about during Carnival? I had heard that Copacabana is the place to stay during Carnival. Any experienced veterans input would be of great help. Thanks.

Viper

Robert Palli
11-16-04, 08:13
Is this girl friendly. I need to know about it specifically as i already paid for it. Also any extra fees let me know.

Orgasm Donor
11-23-04, 17:34
Is this girl friendly. I need to know about it specifically as i already paid for it. Also any extra fees let me know.

I was staying at California Othon Classic. I interpreted large signs at reception counter that said "nao sexo tourismo" at any Othon Hotel.

My question is, does bringing a "girlfiend" up to the room classify as this?

O.D.

JackDaniels
11-24-04, 00:32
I need a hotel in Ipanema for a couple of nights. I have read back through but most of the hotels are in Copa. Someone did mention Ipanema Towers. Any other choices - must be guest friendly of course. I have stayed in Copa before and am looking for something different.

Thanks.

Emil12
11-25-04, 23:37
hi,

im looking to spend some time in rio and looking to find a appartment or hotel with high speed internet.

anyone?

greatful for help

Kenn
11-28-04, 13:40
Hi Emil12, we have 4 apts. with internet access available, so bring your laptop.. When are you coming down, for how long...

e-mail us at 4info@ez-riorentals.com

Rio Bob
11-28-04, 21:13
I was staying at California Othon Classic. I interpreted large signs at reception counter that said "nao sexo tourismo" at any Othon Hotel.

My question is, does bringing a "girlfiend" up to the room classify as this?

O.D.

Mr. Donar, I believe that the answer to your question is only if you are paying her. All kidding aside if they are being that strict then I would imagine that they would be looking to see if this girlfriend is listed on the registration of the room. I stopped staying at the Othon hotels years ago just for this reason but it seems lately that the hotels that are user friendly are getting less and less. Someone needs to build a big hotel just for mongers. I find it hard to believe that all these hotels are willing to turn away such business especially now where the news of crime in Rio is on the rise again and people are reevaluating their travel plans. Most mongers don't care about the news of crime as the reward outweighs the potential risk of getting mugged.

Brasil Redux
11-30-04, 06:29
How do I go about checking out the reliability of people renting aprtments? I know Kenn has a great reputation, but I was wondering about www.rentinrio.com. Has anyone heard of them? Used them? Are they legit (nop bait/switch, etc.)? Some of the apartments are gorgeous and would be a good choice to use if I can coordinate with some other friends who may want to visit while I am taking an extended vacation.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Tim

JackDaniels
11-30-04, 22:20
I need a hotel in Ipanema for a couple of nights. I have read back through but most of the hotels are in Copa. Someone did mention Ipanema Towers. Any other choices - must be guest friendly of course. I have stayed in Copa before and am looking for something different.

Thanks.

Can anyone answer this question ?

Rio Bob
12-01-04, 02:17
Try the Ipanema Inn its inexpensive and I believe user friendly.

Hondo12
12-01-04, 21:09
I stayed at the Othon the first week of November and noticed the sign also, but I still brought different girls back to my room every night. I tipped the doorman and the guy at the front desk, and didn't have a problem. They took her Id, signed her in and told her she had to be out by either 6 or 7 am. My girls stayed until well after 10am without so much as a phone call to my room. When I checked out, I was still charged for just a single.

Carlos Primeros
12-02-04, 03:22
Hallo - could anyone give me the e-mail address of Ipanema Towers or another guest-friendly hotel which still has rooms over carnival?

thanks

Carlos

Lorenz Mi
12-08-04, 13:37
Heelo Friends,

Could someone please let me know if Everest Rio hotel in Ipanema is girl-friendly?

It seems nice for $100/110 with pool and best location.

Any other comments are welcome.

Many thanks,

Ciao,

Lorenz

Robert Palli
12-08-04, 20:00
I am the guy who got sent back from Rio and will be going again in January. I am just too horny. I have two choices. Either Luxor Regente or Royal Palace.

You guys know which one is more girl-friendly and also if Luxor regente charges a fee per girl, or if you have to pay double room or something like that. Let me know soon.

Robert Palli

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending revisions to capitalize the word "I". To avoid future delays, please use a capital "I" to refer to yourself in future reports. Thanks!

Hojo
12-09-04, 02:07
I won't mention the name of the service, but I was just asked for a 50% deposit for the Christmas and New Years time frame. Is this common for this time of year?

I have rented apartments a few times during the off season and no deposit was required.

Someone please let me know if I am being taken advantage of.

pop till you drop,
hojo

Iron Mike
12-09-04, 16:58
I have been to Rio on New Years and Carnival both. I have always been asked for a 50% deposit and I have always paid it. If I go for a week during the regular year a 1 night deposit is usually what is asked.

Iron Mike
12-09-04, 17:00
I have been to Rio for New Years and Carnival both and I have always been asked for a 50% deposit. During the rest of the year if I gop for a week I always pay a 1 night deposit.

Havahopeful
12-15-04, 23:45
Can anyone advise as to the extent that these apartments are girl friendly.

I know that the place has been described as being girl friendly but from the website they appear to be a bit exclusive and I wanted to be sure that if I call Karla's Models and 3-4 girls come will it cause a problem at the front desk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Snooky
12-16-04, 01:40
Ipanema towers is pseudo-girl friendly. Friend's I know that stay there give this advice. Always tip the doorman when you first arrive (R$10-20) and you should have no problems.

Can anyone advise as to the extent that these apartments are girl friendly.

I know that the place has been described as being girl friendly but from the website they appear to be a bit exclusive and I wanted to be sure that if I call Karla's Models and 3-4 girls come will it cause a problem at the front desk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shemp
12-17-04, 07:33
I stayed at the Ipanema Towers for 6 nites in october & had no problem with bringing in my garotas. Twice I met girls at help & took them back-just walked right by the front desk. Twice I called for escorts & the front desk called my room when they arrived & I went dowmstairs to meet them, No problem, no extra fee. I'm not sure what would happen if you bring 3-4 at once. The apartments are great for entertaining them-huge balconys and it's in a good neigborhood, just down the the street from the Garota de Ipanema restaurant. Highly recommended.

Shemp

Snooky
12-18-04, 01:46
How much are they charging at the Ipanema Towers? I heard you can easily get it at a much lower rate as a walk-in. That is, if they have a room available.

Havahopeful
12-19-04, 04:05
They quoted me 370 R a night for a standard room but that was under the condition that I book for at least a week.

Havahopeful
12-21-04, 18:56
Does anyone know of the chica friendliness of this Hotel?

My reservations wtih Ipanema Towers got lost, and am now in a lurch for a substitute

Thanks

FYI they are quoting 450 R per night on a 2 bedroom

Ruca In London
12-26-04, 14:35
Hey guys!

Just returned from Rio.... I stayed in a decent hotel in Rua Nossa Senhora de Copacabana. Not far away from Help.

The price for a single was 180 Reais/night. And no problems in bringing girls to the room.

Kenn
12-27-04, 11:49
Ok, it’s official..

www.EZ-RioRentals.com now has 3 apartments with VIOP (Voice over Internet Phones) available..

A studio apt. on Ave. Atlantica in Leme…. (Ocean Front)
A studio apt. on Rua Djalma Ulrich in Copacabana………. (Ocean View)
A 2 bedroom on Rua Domingos Ferreira in Copacabana…. Near BlockBuster and the CitiBank..

We have 4 phone numbers in the USA that will be available…….
Area Codes are…

718…… New York, New York

323….... Los Angeles, California

773…… Chicago, Illinois

404…… Atlanta Georgia

The cost for using this service is $5.00 USD a day….
Or combined with a cell phone rental $8.50 USD a day…

Give them a phone number in the USA to call you at… If they have Caller ID they will see the phone number in the USA appear….
All of the phones have voice mail so even when your out you can retrieve your messages…

Tell the boss you had to go out of town for a week to see a sick relative..
Tell your girlfriend you have a sales convention to attend….
You’re a very creative bunch of guys so bring a laptop and hook it up………..

Or you can just work from the apartment... that is what the last 2 people did ……

jaykayesq
01-01-05, 08:45
I'm am arriving in Copacabana on Jan 8th. I'd like to stay:

1) Close to the beach and reasonably priced

2) In a place that has a jacuzzi in the bathroom

3) Doesn't charge for bringing girls to the room.

I will appreciate all feedback about any part of the things above.

Thanks to everyone and Happy New Year!!!

Bambino
01-05-05, 19:14
Help!, ( no, not that "Help")

I've got an opportunity to stay at the Caesar Park Hotel in Ipanema for a week for free. Anybody know if they are "chica friendly". I'm cautious bec. it's in Ipanema.

Thanks in advance.

Kenn
01-05-05, 21:36
Bambino, Caezar Park is one of the best Hotels In Ipanema (5 star) and I doubt if they have a friendly guest policy..

Bambino
01-06-05, 02:43
Kenn,

Am I dreaming , thinking that I might be able to work something out like only bringing guests after a certain time, say11pm? Perhaps slipping the relevant people some Reals.

Bubba Boy
01-07-05, 07:26
Can't comment on Caeasar Park in Ipanema but the one in Ba did not have a problem with me bringing in guests. Best thing is to email and simply ask what their guest policy is.

Sidhartha
02-13-05, 17:14
Can anyone suggest a fair rate for the Vermont Hotel in Ipanema, for an April stay?
The hotel staff can ask different rates on different days, and I wanted to be able to offer them a rate myself.

Thanks

Lorenzo
02-17-05, 06:03
Bambino,

This is a very belated reply to your post, but you know the problems everyone has been having with this forum. So this may be too late to help you.

That having been said, I would advise you that if you have a chance to stay free for a week at the Caesar Park, take it. This is possibly the best hotel in Rio, one that charges upwards of US$300 per night, so for a week's stay you are talking about a US$2000+ value.

I stayed there in 2002. I took girls up to my room in the daytime quite easily. The thing is not to look furtive, just head straight to the elevator as if you owned the place. Night time is a different story. Then you will probably get stopped. The key factor is that the girl not look like a prostitute. If she could pass for a respectable dinner date, then just tell them you are going up to the restaurant for dinner. They may look at the floor indicator for the elevator, so best bet is to go to the restaurant floor, then turn right around and go to your floor.

So forget about bringing any of the trash from help back there. Your best bet is a girl from the termas that you arrange to meet and tell her how to dress. Have her meet you in the bar. What the hell, why not actually take her to dinner, then go back to your room and fuck your brains out.

Lorenzo

Lorenz Mi
03-03-05, 13:26
Hi,

I'm in Rio and I´d like to report my experience with hotels.

I booked by phone the MAR IPANEMA hotel for the first days and then I checked around ipanema for other solutions.

Well, around the same rate (230R$ B&B double room) there is not better solution, so I decided to stay here: located on the main street of Ipanema (very nice), 100mt from the beach, very confortable, just rebuilted and absolutely girl friendly.

Other similar hotel is, for example, Ipanema Inn but I prefer this one. Ok, is different if You can spend more, but more means at least the double (starting from 150 US$), so there are luxory place like Caesar Park, Ipanema Plaza, Everest Rio, but probably is not so easy have some guests.

Nothing about Copa, where for sure there are many many cheaper opportunities, since I really prefer to stay in Ipanema.

Member #3411
03-24-05, 13:45
Just a quick question.

I've read various recommendations about this hotel being guest friendly. Is double room booking necessary or single is just fine?

I intend to spend the difference on chicas :)

Adickt
03-25-05, 03:44
If you book a single you will have to pay the difference when you bring a girl in. If you book a double you do not have to pay since you already have.

Adickt
03-25-05, 03:55
If you book a single you will have to pay the difference when you bring a girl in. If you book a double you do not have to pay since you already have.

Bimbo Boy
03-26-05, 01:00
Rio International in Copacabana is a nice hotel. No problem with girls, but you have to pay a 100R "girl tax".

Im thinking in staying in Barra de Tijuca next time. Is the Sheraton Barra girl friendly ? What is their policy ?

Regards

WoodYi
03-27-05, 03:44
If you book a single you will have to pay the difference when you bring a girl in. If you book a double you do not have to pay since you already have.I was quote R200+tax per night by Rio Rios for 1st week of June. Does this seem reasonable? Any tips on getting a better rate?

Thanks

Thunderthrust
03-28-05, 12:45
Hello,

I just booked at the Roiss for April. I was quoted the same deal as you initially but managed to negotiate down to 180R + tax per night. There is definitely room for manouvre unless they are really busy, which I dont think they will be in June.

Good luck

Simmer
03-29-05, 19:50
Paid around US$90 per night (inc tax, charged in US$) for a Superior room in the Mirasol Copacabana, two blocks from the beach. Superior room features jacuzzi bath (which wasn't great to be honest) and a personal sauna! In-room safe (R2 per day), large double bed, wooden floors, air con, cable TV, bar, restaurant, rooftop swimming pool, rooftop gym (great view!), and rooftop steam room (also a great view!), buffet breakfast included in room rate (not that I managed it much!) - and girl friendly, albeit with a R50 charge. Recommended.

Havahopeful
04-04-05, 19:17
I'll be in Rio from May 21-30. Starting with May 23 I will get a 2 bedroom apartment in Ipanema. I am thinking about Ipanema Towers as I was pleased with the rooms and service during my January visit.

I am travelling with a friend and thought about spending my first 2 days in Brazil in Sao Paulo so that we can have some mongering time before my novia latches on. The more I thought of this the more I thought why not just go to Rio and not tell her that I am there until the 3rd day. (This is a little trickey as she wants to pick me up at the airport) But I have worked through that obstacle.

Now I just have to make sure to avoid Ipanema (which is where she lives) because knowing my luck I will run into her during those 2 days.

I have seen some talk of people wanting to spend a few days at the sex motels and have seen that idea shot down very quickly. I checked out VIP's site and it seems that for a price of 75R per 8hrs. or 225 R per day you can get a standard room which still seems very nice and a reasonable price. I am concerned about the safe issue. Generally speaking can anyone comment on the security of these rooms? or come up with an alternatives.

I am basically looking to have a crazy 48 hours before I settle for some one on one time with my girl

Thanks

Track Star
04-05-05, 15:46
During my stay in Rio from March 24 to April 3 I stayed at the Royal Rio Palace hotel which opened in 2004. Very good hotel which is girl friendly. Book a double room and they give you no hassle with taking girls to the room. I took 7 girls all together to my room and had a new girl in my room every night. The girl has to surrender her ID at the front desk and if the girl leaves after a short time they will even call you at the room to make sure everything is okay. They look out for you. The hotel has two swimming pools on the roof and poolside bar. Other amenities include fitness center with sauna. Inside the lobby they have another bar. They have restaurant and breakfast is complimentary. Rooms are nice and clean. Before I booked my stay I negotitated a very good price and made sure we had an agreement about no problem having girls coming to the room. One on the bell hops will even get agency girls for you if you are interested. I paid $66 per night +15% tax at this 4 star hotel. I was very happy with this place.

Orpheus I
04-05-05, 18:03
Do you know the internet address of Royal Rio Palace?

Papi Muy Rico
04-05-05, 21:57
I am going to Rio for 5 days and then Manaus for 2 weeks.

I plan to:

1. Go to a couple termas.

2. I will try the agencies for the first time.

3 Go to a couple Normal Clubs: Bombar. Melt, etc to drool over some local non pro cariocas babes ( and do something about it!).

4. Do the normal tourist stuff: Sugar loaf, etc.

5. Go to local pub to watch some good Football ( not American Football but the real stuff AKA soccer).

I would like to hook with fellow associates to share couple beers and "sports" activities.

I:
Speak portuguese very well

Know the city quite good

So le's do it

I was offered a good deal at the Mar Ipanema Hotel at Rua Visconde de Piraja in Ipanema, have anyone been there? Is it comfortable/clean/overall good? At least is well located I don't care about been girl-friendly since I have too many gadgets with me and don't want to risk them so I am going to sex motels.

Cheers

Cachorro
04-06-05, 00:26
Havahopeful,

Sex motels are pretty good for safety. When your guest arrives, reception will phone you and announce it, probably before she gets to the door. When she leaves, reception will phone up to you and check that she is clear to leave. The staff are looking out for your interests, as you are the paying client.

There is a whole range of motels in Rio, and many have daily rates. VIPs is said to be right among the best. So if price is not an issue then you might as well just stay there.

Bimbo Boy
04-06-05, 00:49
Well, I have tried the Vips motel because I wanted to this at least once in my life.

Don't worry about safety, the staff is professionnal and nice.

This motels caters mainly to brazilians who go there with their mistress. Their cars are hidden from view in closed garages. They also go there for festinhas: ie group sex orgies.

One rents the room for an 8 hours chunk. It's all geared to sex: sex chairs, mirrors in the ceiling, etc. Prices range from 80R to 500R (the presidential suite with several rooms, a swimming pool, etc).

I took the Brisa suite: http://www.vipsmotel.com.br/brisa.html. I found it seedy, a little run down and depressing. I will not go back there, unless, if I am invited in a festinha by a brazilian friend.

Havahopeful: you can stay in Sampa and have your girls in any hotel there. They are much more laid back about bringing girls in your room than in Rio.

Regards.

I have seen some talk of people wanting to spend a few days at the sex motels and have seen that idea shot down very quickly. I checked out VIP's site and it seems that for a price of 75R per 8hrs. or 225 R per day you can get a standard room which still seems very nice and a reasonable price. I am concerned about the safe issue. Generally speaking can anyone comment on the security of these rooms? or come up with an alternatives.

Thanks

Track Star
04-06-05, 14:43
Fellow Mongers and Hobbyists

This is the web address and contact info for Royal Rio Palace Hotel:

Address:
Rua Duvivier, 82 - Copacabana
22020.020 - Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

Reservations via email:
reservas@royalrio.com

Phone/Fax:

Telephone
55 21 2122 - 9292

Fax
55 21 2122 - 9293

WEB Address: www.royalrio.com

I have no financial interest in providing this info. Just a courtesy to fellow mongers on this great forum. Also my regards to Jackson for doing a great job. Thank you very much.

RexG
04-08-05, 05:29
Web Site: http://www.promenade.com.br/ingles/princess.html

Unless things have improved, making reservations via the above web site is not very satisfactory. I never felt like I had a rock solid confirmation. (In one case I received no confirmation at all.) I've had better luck using the following phone number where I've always been able talk to an English-speaking agent:

55 21 2253 1759

Note that the above phone number is not listed on the web site.

Bubba Boy
04-08-05, 20:10
Just one tip when staying at the princess, the rooms closest to the road are very noisy with street traffic, primarily car horns as it is close to a small intersection where everybody thinks it is necessary to hit the horn when passing though.

Member #1899
04-08-05, 20:15
Take a room in the Copacabana Palace, it's one of the leading hotels in the world, go to the private beach of the hotel, negociate with the guy who manage the beach chairs and you will be amazed with beautiful women you can have in your bed. Please not from 500 Reals and up, but it's top quality.

Bubba Boy
04-09-05, 06:09
Does the beach dude organise for the lady to be let into the hotel? From what I know this hotel does not allow guests at the moment.

Member #1899
04-09-05, 09:35
No, you have to rent a love room.

Member #2329
04-09-05, 21:14
If these girls are charging r$500, they probably are more classy than your average gdp. That means they should also have nicer clothes.

To get a girl into your room at the Copa palace, have the girl dress as nice as she can. Then, if stopped by the reception, just tell them you are taking her for a meal at the hotel's restaurante Cipriani: to eat or even just for drinks. (If you are paying r$500, you can afford to drop r$30 or so on a few cocktails at this place, albeit a 5-star EXPENSIVE restaurant.) If you don't feel like blowing cash, just walk out towards where the Cipriani is and sit around their great pool for a little while and chat. Or take her upstairs to the second level where there is a huge ballroom and show her all the autographed pictures of the famous guests of the hotel.

Anyways, by the end of all this wasting time, hotel reception and security will be off your back. Pop up to your room and then get your 500 reals worth of "classy" Brazilian beach girl.

Rio Bob
04-09-05, 23:30
Take a room in the Copacabana Palace, it's one of the leading hotels in the world, go to the private beach of the hotel, negociate with the guy who manage the beach chairs and you will be amazed with beautiful women you can have in your bed. Please not from 500 Reals and up, but it's top quality.

Just off the top of my head I would imagine that the Copacabana Palace is going for about $300 a night for a normal room, nothing too fancy. And I am willing to bet that that dude who manages the beach chairs will negotiate with you a 500 reais GDP even if you are staying at the Rio Roiss so long as he gets his cut of the deal. Thanks for the tip, next time Im in Rio Im gonna stop by there and rent a chair and take a look at the merchandise. I never sat in front of the Copacabana Palace before because I heard it was a gay beach.

Peter Kin
04-10-05, 06:29
I have now almost finished my Bangkok, Franfurt and Rio arrangements - what a great trip this expects to be.

Now I need some help with hotels in Copacabana - girl friendly, and near Help and L'uomo, etc of course.

My budget is about R200 or US$67 per night on a double basis so no girl hastles, and

I have the choice of:

Hotel DeBrett
Rio Roiss
Princess Copacabana
Mirasol Rio
Rio Copacabana
Royal Rio

The last has internet connections, an almost "must" for me.

Which do you guys think is best, best located, etc? I have never been to Rio before and a beach view does appeal.

I read all the posts over the last year in the various Rio threads but am really no wiser.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

PK

Kenn
04-10-05, 12:07
Hotel Debret is NO longer guest friendly.......

Rio Roiss is OK but a bit run down.......

Princess Copacabana new and nice location but make sure you get a room in the REAR of the hotel.. Too much noise on the street side.

Mirasol Rio.... ???? do you mean Marisol Copacabana Hotel?
Rio Copacabana....???? do you mean Rio Copa. Hotel?
Royal Rio....???? never heard of this one...

Rio Bob
04-10-05, 13:58
Hotel Debret is NO longer guest friendly........

It's such a shame that the Debret is not guest friendly anymore as it has such a good location in relation to HELP. I found out about the Debret years ago from the world sex guide archives as a perfect hotel for our hobby.

It has been several years since I stayed there anyway since they made about $175 mistake on my bill. I checked out in a hurry and felt that the bill was high but didn't really go over it untill I got home. I noticed a local call I made on the bill for $175, I immediately called them from the US and got no satisfaction, they kept giving me the run around for days, told me they had to wait for the telephone bill to come in about a month from now.

Three months later they said they still didn't get the telephone bill, it had gotten lost in the mail. Well I then posted this situation on various travel websites and people started to notice and some people who were thinking of booking in the hotel told the Debret that they were concerned about what they read on some website, the Debret manager contacted me and I had my money back the next day.

Track Star
04-10-05, 22:24
Hello Kenn,

Royal Rio Palace is a new 4 star hotel that opened in 2004. I stayed there from march 25-April 3 now in 2005. Very good and clean facility.

Paid $66 +15% tax per night for double room with no additional charge to have girls to my room. I had a girl with me to my room there every night of my stay. Sometimes two girls at the same night but not at the same time.

This hotel is GIRL FRIENDLY and they have bar and two swimming pools on the roof, plus fitness center, internet/business center, restaurant and another bar inside the lobby.

This is a gem and I am going to stay there again on my return trip in October this year.

RexG
04-10-05, 22:36
I've stayed at the Princess Copacabana twice and, in general, I like it very much. Both times I had a room (actually the rooms are apartment-style affairs) at the back, so traffic noise wasn't a problem. I did, however, have to endure an abominably loud air conditioner during my first stay. Every time the compressor kicked on, it made a huge racket. The air conditioners look pretty cheap, so I would bet this is a common problem. Fortunately my first visit was in July, and it was cool enough to run only the fan at night. There is no carpeting in the rooms or hallways, both of which are nicely tiled. This could have the potential for higher noise levels, but I was never affected by loud noises overhead or in the hallways.

My return flight to the states always leaves at 9:30PM. During my first visit the hotel was very nice in letting me delay my checkout until 6PM at no extra charge. They also let me delay my checkout during my second visit. But then they (nicely) kicked me out at 1PM, saying that the hotel was fully booked and I needed to checkout. This was a bit of a hassle, since I had already arranged a final date with a nice garota from Termas 65.

There is an internet shop one block toward the beach from the hotel.

On one occasion, as I waited in the hotel lobby for a friend, I was hugely embarrassed by the actions of three of my fellow countrymen. They insisted upon detailing their mongering exploits in loud, boisterous conversation. They seemed totally oblivious of the fact that many non-mongers stay at the hotel. Nor did they show any regard for the hotel staff, including the female receptionist. Is it any wonder that hotels cease being girl friendly?

Anyhow, in my opinion, this hotel's positives far outweigh its negatives.

Rio Bob
04-11-05, 03:37
On one occasion, as I waited in the hotel lobby for a friend, I was hugely embarrassed by the actions of three of my fellow countrymen. They insisted upon detailing their mongering exploits in loud, boisterous conversation. They seemed totally oblivious of the fact that many non-mongers stay at the hotel. Nor did they show any regard for the hotel staff, including the female receptionist. Is it any wonder that hotels cease being girl friendly?

You bring up a good point as to why hotels cease being girl frinedly, as you say it is to bring in a different class of clientele. Other reasons may be to reduce problems such as robberies from some garotas who rob their clients while they sleep or just to reduce problems in general from the mongering trade. When I used to stay in a hotel I used to feel embarrased checking in a 19 year old during the afternoon while some little old lady was standing at the front desk. Respectable people bother me.

Lorenzo
04-11-05, 05:37

Are you sure the CP has a private beach? I doubt it. I was told by the management at the Sheraton that no hotel in Brazil has a private beach; by federal law, all beaches have to be open to everybody. I think this is true, because at the beach in front of the Sheraton I saw some teenagers from the nearby favela.

Lorenzo

Rio Bob
04-11-05, 13:13
Are you sure the CP has a private beach? I doubt it. I was told by the management at the Sheraton that no hotel in Brazil has a private beach; by federal law, all beaches have to be open to everybody. I think this is true, because at the beach in front of the Sheraton I saw some teenagers from the nearby favela.

Lorenzo

No "private" beach, Im sure what he meant was that on the public beach they have an area blocked off where just the guests of the hotel stay. They do this at the Marriott too, they arrange their chairs so that there is just one big block of chairs in a section only for the Marriott, it is their private area but of course your right, all beaches in Rio are public including the one in front of the Sheraton which on the weeked is overrun with people from the Vidigal favela. I have never seen this private section in front of the CP but next time I am there I am going to take a pass by and take a look to see what this guy has going on, because the hotel is expensive some high end garotas may hang out there only and avoid Help or Meia Pataca or Ho beach in front of the othon palace.

Guys like this can be a great source for nice ladies, I have had great luck with bartenders of 5 star hotels, some of them have a book of numbers as they see girls coming in and out of the hotel all the time, I have gotten some real nice ones from them both by telephone and others have pointed out girls to me in the bar that you wouldn't even think were working but they were and they were beautiful and great.

Fido Dido
04-15-05, 20:02
I plan on booking the hotel Mar Ipanema for a few days.

Anyone any experience on this hotel? Specially if is girlfriendly or not. Thanks for the info.

The Greek
04-25-05, 02:55
I plan on booking the hotel Mar Ipanema for a few days.

Anyone any experience on this hotel? Specially if is girlfriendly or not. Thanks for the info.Hi,

You can call them and ask them. Brazilians are very open about sex. I stay at Debret and it is 30 R /night. Some hotels allow you to have a girl for free if you book/pay for a double room. The girl id registration is for your own security!

Nice site for hotels is www.ipanema.com Almost all hotel sin Copa have websites.

Good Luck

Fido Dido
04-25-05, 19:59
Well Greek thanks for your input.

I am considering the Mar Ipanema because of the report of "Lorenz Mi" (03-03-05 #382 ). "Lorenz Mi" claims the Mar Ipanema is comfortable and "absolutely girl friendly".

However. I could not get this confirmed at the reservation office.

I gave the hotel a call and asked if I could take a guest with me. The woman answering me was not pleased (not that I do care about that) and told me that no guests were allowed.

Well the situation might be quite different if you come in late at night at the reception.

Mar Ipanema seems a nice place to me. So, is there anyone who knows: if the Mar Ipanema really girl-friendly?

By the way rates are US$62 + 5% tax for a standard double room (R$ 157 + 5% tax). If you want breakfast that is an extra US$ 7.

Kenn
04-26-05, 01:57
Track Star -------- the Royal Rio Palace, can you tell us the address of this Hotel? a phone number? an e-mail address? something?

Greek-------- I don't know when the last time you stayed in the Debret was but they have been a NO GUEST Hotel for well over a year now........

Rio Bob
04-26-05, 03:39
Track Star -------- the Royal Rio Palace, can you tell us the address of this Hotel? a phone number? an e-mail address? something?

Greek-------- I don't know when the last time you stayed in the Debret was but they have been a NO GUEST Hotel for well over a year now........

Ken just google it:

http://b2b.hotelclub.net/directhotel.asp?id=26290

Royal Rio Palace Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Rua Duvivier 82
Copacabana
Rio de Janeiro
Brazil

Hot To Cool
04-26-05, 04:21

Greek-------- I don't know when the last time you stayed in the Debret was but they have been a NO GUEST Hotel for well over a year now.Kenn,

Trackstar just posted this info on the previous page of posts.

Hot To Cool

Sidhartha
04-26-05, 16:12
When I stayed at the Mar Ipanema a couple of years ago they had no problem with guests, and no fee either. But as you know Rio hotels have been changing their policies, so it is best to call, maybe speak with the manager. I am pretty sure they wont have a problem with girls, but you also need to know if they will stiff you with a charge.

Two places I checked on earlier this month:

Atlantico Copacabana, no guest fee. You should be able to bring the price down to 150 real plus tax. Includes breakfast.

Vermont, not too far from the Mar Ipanema. A 70 real charge if the guest is not a regular. You should be able to get the price down to 120/130 real. No tax, includes breakfast.

Toshw2
04-27-05, 22:26
Hi there, as anyone ever sayed at The Copacabana Rio Hotel?

What are the rooms like? Is it girl friendly?

Thanks

Caffrey
04-28-05, 08:18
I stayed there couple of months ago. You can bring guests with prior approval. I enjoyed my stay there. Walk to Ipanema Beaches. Crime free environment. Walk to Internet cafes, banks and many nice restaurants.

They have a website for direct booking.

Kenn
04-28-05, 12:44
Some Hotels have strange guest policies.
Some have a "guest allowed only after 11pm and must be out before 6-7AM policy" and they still MAY charge you a fee from 30-70.reais per guest. No multiple girls in rooms also is VERY common if not the standard.... and if you are sharing a suite with another guy.. no more than 1 girl in the room at a time also pretty standard....

Be very careful which hotel you choose. ALWAYS call the Hotel and ask what the policy is on guests and if they charge..
Do not rely on an answer from another monger because you never know how old the information is.. especially if you are paying for the entire stay up front on your C/Card..... not too much fun not being able to bring a girl back to your room and having to pay for a sex hotel on top of your hotel.

Fido Dido
04-28-05, 22:37
Kenn, Sidhartha and others: thanks for you advice on this one.

Well. I just called once again to the hotel and asked about guest-policy.

The guy on the phone told me that bringing in a guest is only possible if you have reserved a double room and you have given the name of the second person at the moment of reservation.

Doesn't sound too (girl)friendly.

Well. I am just going to write them a mail. Asking the same question.

See what the response is.

Bambino
04-29-05, 03:26
Tosh,

I've stayed there 3 times. The last time, in March, I had to leave for another Hotel; the Rio Roiss.

The Copacabana Rio has some rooms much nicer than others. The A/C is very noisy, and Nossa Senora is a VERY busy and loud street. The free "cafe da manha" is weak. My door lock was broken, so I had to bring one of the guys up with me every time I came in. I have paid $200 R. There is much better for that price. They are "friendly"

Rio Roiss is a nice older hotel. The lighting in the rooms sucks. Some sort of low wattage fluorescent bulb. But the rooms are nice, carpeted, and it's on a quiet street half a block off Ave. Atlantica.

If you get a deluxe suite for $50 R more, no garota charge. If you go for a regular room, you pay 50-70R each time you bring one. I paid $200R for a regular suite, cause I knew I would only bring a garota there a couple days of my short stay.

I'm trying somewhere else next time, just to have more Rio hotel experience. Until I find the perfect one...

Trippleecks
04-29-05, 12:54
Shit man, just rent an apartment and forget Hotels.. You can get something nice for about 120 REAIS a day.

there are plenty of reliable people to rent from Dave, Kenn, John just to name a few..

Hot To Cool
04-30-05, 04:34
Shit man, just rent an apartment and forget Hotels.. You can get something nice for about 120 REAIS a day.

there are plenty of reliable people to rent from Dave, Kenn, John just to name a few..Nodd_N, et al,

You can even go as low as R80 in an apartment building just to the right or north of Help and Rio Othon.

Hot To Cool

Trippleecks
04-30-05, 12:51
hot to cool, I looked at that building. They call it the Green Building and its a shit hole. Full of roaches and poorly furnished. They should have called it the Roach Hotel. They even charge you extra for fresh clean sheets and for fresh towels. I have even seen girls laugh and call guys "ele gasta grande" (spelling) "big spender" when they go back to that Green Building with a guy.

I would much rather pay a bit more for something a lot nicer, thank you.
It always makes me laugh when someone does not want to pay more than $30Us for his room and then shells out over $100Us for some skank at Help.

Member #4156
04-30-05, 15:57
It always makes me laugh when someone does not want to pay more than $30Us for his room and then shells out over $100Us for some skank at Help.Hilarious post!

Toshw2
05-01-05, 00:46
Does any one know of any girl friendly hotels between Copacabana & Ipanema beaches (preferably Copacabana side)? Looking for something around $80-100.

Been doing some research and found the Orla Hotel, has any body stayed here? Is girl friendly?

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Kenn
05-01-05, 12:45
Toshw2...... There are plenty of hotels available in that area of Copa. that are nice and girl friendly. For even less than $80.US a night.
Hotel Rio Roiss for exapmle is about $70.US a night.
Princessa Copacabana Hotel would cost about $80.US a night..

Apartments would start at about 120R ($47.US) for somethng a bit better than the normal Brazilian standard.

PM me if you need more info. I live in Rio.

Bambino
05-03-05, 04:41
Help!,

I need some quick info. on the Othon Palace. I may be able to stay there for free for a week, but I have read some poor reviews on the web. The worst are from 2002. Some other, more recent ones are not so bad.

Have they renovated since 2002? How would it compare to the Rio Roiss? (I've stayed there). I'm not willing to stay in a place with threadbare furniture and a noisy air conditioner, even if it's free.

Thanks in advance guys...

Bubba Boy
05-03-05, 05:50
Accor has 2 hotels that are on the border of Copa/Ipanema. Both are virtually brand new and great value. The pics on the site are a good indication of the inside of the rooms - girl friendly as well.

Parthenon Arpoador Rio de Janeiro
Parthenon Queen Elizabeth

http://www.accorhotels.com.br/guiahoteis/listagem_hoteis.asp?cd_hotels=232%2C204%2C171%2C65%2C4&xfer=5

Kenn
05-03-05, 12:25
Bubba Boy, have you checked out the prices?
1 bedroom apt. 216.Reais + 15%....= 248.reais a night
2 bedroom, for 2 people is nearly 400.reais a night inc. tax…..

You could rent a nice apt. for a lot less.......

Kenn, ez-riorentals.com

Rio Bob
05-03-05, 12:28
Help!,

I need some quick info. on the Othon Palace. I may be able to stay there for free for a week, but I have read some poor reviews on the web. The worst are from 2002. Some other, more recent ones are not so bad.

Have they renovated since 2002? How would it compare to the Rio Roiss? (I've stayed there). I'm not willing to stay in a place with threadbare furniture and a noisy air conditioner, even if it's free.

Thanks in advance guys...

The Rio Othon Palace used to be a 5 star hotel being the Flagship of the Othon chain. The only reason why it might not still be 5 star is because it is older now and may need some renovation but I think they may be in the process of it.

There is no comparison betweeen the Rio Roiss and the Othon Palace, the Othon Palace is far superior. If its for free then why not, my only question would be is it girl friendly which I think you can't depend on as I have seen it both ways there and the last time I stayed there in 1997 it wasn't and at first I had to use motels like the Lido and then finally I had to get another room in the Debret to make it easier. I vowed that I would never stay there again but the hotel is OK for free.

Make sure this is the Othon hotel you are talking about on ave atlantica next to Meia Pataca cause they have several othon hotels in Rio and they are not all as nice as the Rio Othon Palace.

Bubba Boy
05-03-05, 16:05
Kenn, I thought that the ISS was only 5%, not 15%?

I prefer to pay a little bit more for the comforts of a good hotel that has western standards, something most apartments do not have, IMHO. Having said that the apartment I rented off you in Lido, round the corner from barbs was good, I just prefer hotels.

Scott C
05-09-05, 00:42
Does anyone know if the JW Marriott is girl friendly? I searched and could not find a direct reference.

Rio Bob
05-10-05, 03:34
Does anyone know if the JW Marriott is girl friendly? I searched and could not find a direct reference.

I know of many guys who have brought girls into the Marriott, just be descreet and quiet and I don't think they will bother you.

Alex P Keaton
05-10-05, 22:56
The Copacabana Rio has some rooms much nicer than others. The A/C is very noisy, and Nossa Senora is a VERY busy and loud street. The free "cafe da manha" is weak. My door lock was broken, so I had to bring one of the guys up with me every time I came in. I have paid $200 R. There is much better for that price. They are "friendly"

I stayed at the Copacabana Rio Hotel for six nights last week and had a better experience than Bambino did. It is located at Av. Nossa Senhora de Copacabana 1256. Its website is www.copacabanariohotel.com.br, but I got a better room rate, $59 per night including tax and breakfast for a double room, by booking and prepaying through www.bitourism.com. It is a 16-story hotel with approximately 8 rooms per floor. The front desk staff speaks decent English, my air conditioning worked fine and was no noisier than a typical window unit is, and there was good water pressure and hot water supply in the shower. My room faced the interior courtyard, so I wasn't bothered by noise from the street. It was noisy outside my door when mongers would come back at 2 a.m. with their girls and linger by the elevators, but oh well. The nicest feature is the rooftop pool, which provides a good view of the Copacabana area and is an alternative for water and sun on days when you don't feel like going to the beach.

Overall, I would compare the quality and price to the Presidente Hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica, for anyone who is familiar with it. Not the greatest, not the worst, but a fair value for a girl-friendly hotel.

Gladiator
05-10-05, 23:12
I stayed at the Copacabana Rio Hotel for six nights last week and had a better experience than Bambino did. It is located at Av. Nossa Senhora de Copacabana 1256. Its website is www.copacabanariohotel.com.br, but I got a better room rate, $59 per night including tax and breakfast for a double room, by booking and prepaying through www.bitourism.com. It is a 16-story hotel with approximately 8 rooms per floor. The front desk staff speaks decent English, my air conditioning worked fine and was no noisier than a typical window unit is, and there was good water pressure and hot water supply in the shower. My room faced the interior courtyard, so I wasn't bothered by noise from the street. It was noisy outside my door when mongers would come back at 2 a.m. with their girls and linger by the elevators, but oh well. The nicest feature is the rooftop pool, which provides a good view of the Copacabana area and is an alternative for water and sun on days when you don't feel like going to the beach.

Overall, I would compare the quality and price to the Presidente Hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica, for anyone who is familiar with it. Not the greatest, not the worst, but a fair value for a girl-friendly hotel.

OK, and what about their girlfriendliness? Can you take girls there day and night? Do they hassle you? Do they charge you extra?

Prosal
05-10-05, 23:28
In Rio, I've been staying several times in the Parthenon Queen Elisabeth in Ipanema, Parthenon Arpoador, and recently in the newly opened Parthenon Long Stay Botafogo, which is cheaper because of the location (the best option IMO, it will be my headquarters in Rio from now) ;

Those aparts-hotels have a girl-friendly policy, as it has already been mentionned here, and if girls IDs are always checked at the reception, there's no extra fees.

They'll open later this year a new branch on the northern side of Lagoa, Parthenon Jardim Botanico, which will surely be good too. This area is nice, a little far from the beach, yet with loads of restaurants/bars and a good nightlife.

Hope this help.

Pro

Toshw2
05-10-05, 23:55
Hi

Current looking at the South American Copacabana hotel for my stay.

As anyone stayed there?

What's the girl situation?

Thanks Tosh_w2k

Alex P Keaton
05-11-05, 16:10
OK, and what about their girlfriendliness? Can you take girls there day and night? Do they hassle you? Do they charge you extra?

Book a double room. Be friendly with the desk staff when you check in. Be respectful of non-monger hotel guests by not parading skanky hooker-looking girls around in front of them. No hassle, no extra charge.

Slick1
05-12-05, 02:42
Does anyone know what the typical reservation policy is with regards to reserving an apartment. I don't want to pay too much in advance in case the apartment is not what I expected. I just don't want to get stuck having paid in advance for a dump. I would rather vacate and get a hotel. Thanks.

Hojo
05-12-05, 03:40
Hello Slick1,

Usually you pay a 50% deposit for the Christmas, New Year, and Carnival season. Other times no deposit is required, and all you need to do is tell them what dates you need.

You can ask for pictures of the apartment which I recommend. Also, let the land lord or agent know that you won't pay unless you see the apartment first and it is to your satisfaction.

I have heard of other people getting a hotel for one night and using that day to find an apartment locally.

If you plan on using credit card, the only service I know that accepts Visa is the Blame it on Rio Travel Agency. Most others are cash only.

pop till you drop,
hojo

Kenn
05-12-05, 20:33
Many apts. DO require deposits. Normally a 1 night deposit is suffucent for short stays 7-10 days. The longer the stay, the more the deposit.
Hojo is correct about New Years and Carnival season witch both require a 50% deposit.

Slick1
05-13-05, 15:20
Thanks for the info guys. Has anyone dealt with Rioaparts.com ? They do have some nice looking apts. on their website. I just don't want to send a deposit off to someone that may not be there when I arrive. Thanks again.

Peter P
05-15-05, 00:50
spent a few days in rio recently and stayed at pestana rio atlantica hotel. this is truly one of the worst 5 star hotels i have ever stayed in. i really wonder how they got the 5 star rating. having stayed in copacana palace, le meridien, jw marriott, sofitel, ceasar park, intercontinental in rio, pestana really deserves to have their stars stripped.

when i arrived, i actually got a rather warm and friendly reception. everything went downhill from there onwards. here are 10 reasons why:

1) ridiculous girl policy. i never had any problems with any of the other 5 star hotels bringing girls in. for pestana, called up a gp that arrived at 1030pm. she strutted in without being stopped and arrived at my room. 2 minutes later, front desk calls to say that she can't come in because they only allow 'guests' after 11pm and up to 5am. after much argument, their manager 'authorises' the stay, and comes up with 2 security to 'escort' her down to get her personal paticulars. she gets terribly rude treatment and had her id confirep001ed by the reception. never had i encountered such rude and unprofessional service in a supposedly 5 star hotel.

2) even after being upgraded to a 'superior' room, the room facilities still sucks. the lamps take turns to break down over the the course of the few days i was there. the view of copacana is a tiny side view from the balcony.

3) supposed broadband in the room is painfully slow, and stops working every once in a while. i ended up using their business centre as i could not even have a consistent connection for more than 20 min.

4) shower spurts out brown water on 2 occassions when i first turn on the tap. thank god i looked first.

5) hot shower stops working on one occasion in the morning.

6) so called 'instant' service took 1 hour and 3 phone calls to deliever extra towels.

7) concierge tried to pull a fast one by upping transport prices already pre-arranged with another concierge person the day before. afterwhich, the later concierge has the audacity to write a letter to my room stating that he is right. i am truly astounded by how rude these guys can be.

8) brazil is great for its tropical fruits. however, the hotel breakfast is stocked with the most tasteless oranges, most fibrous and bland mangos, and worst tasting pineapples. waiters at breakfast restaurant are generally 'blind' to frantic hand gestures calling for service. the chef doing the omelette disappears frequently to answer phone calls.

9) old style window unit airconditioner in the room is extremely nosy. temperature and velocity controls simply do not work.

10) hired transport from the hotel but was not allowed to park at the various lots in front of the hotel. the driver had to stop at av atlantica and keep making rounds the hotel so as not to get fined by the traffic police.

overall, extremely poor and rude services, poor english, incompetent staff, lousy facilities and terrible food. please do not waste your money on this hotel as it will definitely spoil your holiday or business trip in rio.

Carrib
05-15-05, 02:26
My quick advice is not the stay there. Some of the upscale hotels have had to change their guest policy over the years because they were losing business. What usually happens, they would relax it and some idiot would cause a scene and the Hotel would tighten rules once again--one Manager at the Marriott told me that GDPs were answering the door and getting out in the hallways half naked. To my knowledge, the Rio Atlantica has always been guest friendly--after 11pm-till 5am rule sounds correct. Something must've happened there recently or u may have run into a manager having a bad night or pissed off at u. The GDP may have been involved in an earlier incident there as well.

The Copa Cabana Palace on the other has NEVER been guest friendly--your only chance was if your GDP dressed and looked like a middle/upper class garota. So I am surprised that u were able to get a girl inside( I must admit I have never stayed there) but I have stayed at the Marriott, Rio Atlantica and Princess Copacabana.

Marriott $250-300 USD limited girl policy
Rio Atlantica 145-200 USD same as above

Princess Copa-$70-80 Liberal girl policy, free excellent breakfast.

Havahopeful
05-18-05, 18:41
Can anyone point me to a good map or advise as to how far north on Nossa Senhora de Copacabana this hotel is?

The address is 1256, but I am having a hard time correlating that to cross streets.

I needed a hotel for this Friday and Saturday, and I couldn't get through to Princess Copacabana and Royal Rio Palace seems a little far out of the way.

Thanks

Alex P Keaton
05-18-05, 20:13
Can anyone point me to a good map or advise as to how far north on Nossa Senhora de Copacabana this hotel is?

The address is 1256, but I am having a hard time correlating that to cross streets.

It is number 12 on the South Copacabana map on this page: www.ipanema.com/rio/hotels/e/hotcopa.htm

Lorenzo
05-18-05, 23:00
Peter J,

Thanks for the infor on Pestana Rio Atlantica. However, except for the Marriott, I think you're mistaken about the girl-friendliness of other 5 star hotels. I've stayed at Le Meridien, and there they have a security guard posted at the main floor elevator precisely to see that anyone not registered as a guest doesn't go up. I've also stayed at Caesar Park, Sheraton, and Intercontinental, and none of these are girl friendly. I've never stayed at Copacabana Palace, but it is notorious for not being girl friendly.

However, as I have written many times on this forum, it is quite possible to get a girl to your room at any of these hotels--and I've done it at every 5 star I've stayed at--if you follow one simple rule: the girl must not look like a prostitute. This means that she must look like someone you're meeting for business or for a social occasion, i.e., she must be able to pass for a member of the middle class. Read: off duty termas girl or escort. This is best and easiest to do in the daytime. At night, just tell the goombah at the elevator that you're going to dinner (most of these hotels have a roof or other level restaurant), take the elevator to the floor the restaurant is on, get off, then just get right back on and go to you room. Piece of cake!

Lorenzo

Track Star
05-19-05, 14:01
Hello Monger friends,

I just contacted Royal Rio Palace where I stayed now in March. Was planning to stay there again in October. That will not happen.

They have now added a R$50 fee per visit. So every time you take a garota to your room you will be charged 50 Reais. That could add up to another $R400-600.

This is not good. I am now in search for a similar quality facility that is girl friendly.

Monger friends contact me with suggestions. I need swimming pool and fitness centre in my hotel. Preferably swimming pool on the roof.

Looking forward to hear from you all.

Thx.

Track Star

Track Star
05-19-05, 21:13
Mongers,

Anybody know whether this place is girl-friendly when paying for double room??

Please let me know.

Track Star

Carrib
05-20-05, 16:44
50R policy? Ouch!

Luxor used to be girl friendly but I am not sure now. I suggest you call them first. If you want beachfront view, give them a try.

I am sure about the Princess Copacabana, rua Xaviera Silvera, 58. Very liberal girl policy with no fee. Great Pool, and such. Free excellent full breakfast that rivals the Marriotts who charges about 35 US.

The only time I use these hotels is when Im coming back to Rio for one day. I normally use apts and there are quite a few folks offering real nice apts with same amenities as these hotels. Try ken from EZ rio

Havahopeful
05-22-05, 16:28
It appears they have changed their guest policy as well. I am alone and have a double room. Much to my dismay I still got hit with a 50R guest fee last night. This even though the girl I took back from Help wa actually dressed very nice and didn't even look much the part of a GDP.

Other than that, the rooms are ok, breakfast is very good. I paid $60 a night for a double.

I argued with the guy that I paid for a double and am entitled to a guest, his response only one guest and her name must be registered.

Oh well, as I only am spending one more night here, I will call it a lesson learned.

Carrib
05-22-05, 20:12
Where the heck is this 50R fee is coming from? The hotels that used to charge, only charged 15 FIFTEEN reals. So I've heard.

I am going out on a limb here. When these brazilians say "fifteen" it actually sounds like "fifty". I can bet you, a couple of Americans heard this and they paid R50 when it should have been R15 and of course word spreads like wildfire and the others must've followed suit.

Gentlemen please boycott these establishments and make it a point to tell them EXACTLY why you are leaving. After a few months of this, they should revert back to a no fee policy or to the more reasonable 15 reals.

Heroic
05-25-05, 12:23
[QUOTE=Track Star]Hello Monger friends,

I just contacted Royal Rio Palace where I stayed now in March. Was planning to stay there again in October. That will not happen.

They have now added a R$50 fee per visit. So every time you take a garota to your room you will be charged 50 Reais. That could add up to another $R400-600.

Trackstar - does this fee apply if you book a double? When I called Royal Rio a couple days ago, I was persuaded to book a double to avoid the fee. Can you confirm. Because I will change my reservation if that policy is in place.

Rabo Verde
05-25-05, 19:45
You guys should just quit using hotels, you will be much better off in an apartment!!! KENN on this board is an agent for a number of good apartments, is a local in Rio, a wounded Vietnam vet, and will set you up with an apartment!!! He has helped me many times, and is highly recommended. He doesn't like to toot his own horn here, so I will do it for him. His website is:

http://www.ez-riorentals.com/

Round the World
05-25-05, 20:09
anyone know if the Visconti in Ipanema is girl friendly?

it is related to the princess Copacabana so I assumed it is friendly and made a reservation. however I will cancel he it unfriendly.

thanks in advance

Henry R
06-01-05, 02:23
Seems like many of the mid priced hotels in or near Copa are now starting to charge a R50 guest fee. I wonder if the Aporadoar Inn is doing that now also? I stayed there in the Fall of 2003 - they were guest friendly - and there was no guest fee at the time. Has their policy changed? Also, does anyone know what their current room rates, single and double, are during the tourist season? Do they now require you to reserve a double room to avoid a guest fee, as some other hotels do?

Havahopeful
06-02-05, 20:25
Just got back from 7 days there. I didn't bring and gdps back as I was with my girlfriend and only had time to sneak to a few Termas on the side. I will however say that the staff at this Hotel is great very friendly and helpful.

I saw quite a few gdps in the hotel though. Both Help girls and escorts the staff seemed to have no issues and were friendly and helpful.

Jayf1970
06-07-05, 14:00
I am considering between Rio Roiss and Princess Copacabana. Looks like the guest policy is a toss up; both appear equally friendly or unfriendly depending on the phase of the moon.

My question is this: do either of them have mirrors in the room?

Jayf1970
06-07-05, 14:43
I am sure they both have mirrors in the room!

When I asked if either of them have mirrors in the room, I meant do they have full length mirrors around the bed.

Thanks a lot!

Jay

Riohemp
06-08-05, 12:39
I have stayed at the Princess but never the Rio Ross and can't remember about the mirrors around the bed? From what I have been told by many Mongers the Princess is superior to the Rio Ross.

Hemp

Brazil Lover
06-09-05, 00:26
Yeah, but sometimes the apartments are crap. Last time, I rented from GringoManagement/Blame It on Rio, and really, the place was a shithole. I know this is 3rd world country and all, but are Kenn's apartments really an upgrade over the other guys'?

You guys should just quit using hotels, you will be much better off in an apartment!!! KENN on this board is an agent for a number of good apartments, is a local in Rio, a wounded Vietnam vet, and will set you up with an apartment!!! He has helped me many times, and is highly recommended. He doesn't like to toot his own horn here, so I will do it for him. His website is:

http://www.ez-riorentals.com/

WoodYi
06-09-05, 02:45
I was there for a week. Girl friendly? Well, kind of.

I booked a double room and was not charged so I guess the answer is yes.

However, one of the guys at the front desk tried to charge me and gave me a real hard time. The GDP i was with read him the riot act and put him in his place. It was classic. The bellboy was doubled over laughing. I was kind of embarrased but all in all it was great listening to her dress him down. Too bad she wasn't so good in the sack. She had a great attitude.

The other night a differnt guy did not blink at my date.

RexG
06-09-05, 04:42
I've stayed at the Princess Copacabana twice and have booked a room there for a week in June. Unfortunately the price has gone way up. I stayed there last November in a nice apartment at the back of the hotel for R$195.00 (and on a few of the nights I was charged R$216.00). Those rates are still available, but they are now the rates for the smaller rooms at the front of the hotel. They now quote R$276.00 for the nicer apartments. I was able to negotiate the price down to R$260.00, but no further.

Rex

Bimbo Boy
06-13-05, 22:13
hello friends,

i recommend the rio international in copacabana. they charge extra for getting a girl in, but they never made any problem. sure they keep the girl's id, but i see that as reassuring, since i am certain that the girl is not a minor, and she can't steal anything (they always call me when she leaves, to be sure everything is ok). the rooms have high speed internet access and nice balconies.
http://www.riointernacional.com.br

a question: is the sheraton barra girl friendly ?
http://www.starwood.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyid=1452

kind regards.

bimbo boy.

Hoof Hunter
06-13-05, 22:55
I usually stay in one of Kenn's apartments. He's the Rio version of Juan Ventura (of CTG acclaim). Neither do a lot to toot their own horns, but offer great quality accomodations at reasonable prices in great locations.

I would highly recommend Kenn's apartments. I have no experience with the other vendors you mentioned, therefore, this is not a slight against them.

I'll never stay in a hotel in Rio again, unless I got the killer deal I used to get at the Intercontinental in Sao Conrado ($49USD/nite plus taxes). But I doubt that will be happening anymore.

Yeah, but sometimes the apartments are crap. Last time, I rented from GringoManagement/Blame It on Rio, and really, the place was a shithole. I know this is 3rd world country and all, but are Kenn's apartments really an upgrade over the other guys'?

Brazilman
06-14-05, 02:47
How much did The International charge you?

Riohemp
06-16-05, 01:24
The Sheraton Barra is definitely girl friendly but just be discreet as it is a very upscale Hotel.

Hemp

Almotu
06-28-05, 09:37
Guys,

My own personal definition of a hotel/motel/apart flat that is girl friendly is one that won't give you a hassle (ie charge you a girl fee) if a garota pays you a visit. Checking the girl's ID and making them sign in is fine by me as long as they don't tack on an extra fee. There are minute degrees to this as well ... does the hotel make you pay for a double? what about afternoon visits? if you have a 'regular' that you can tell your room number to, can she just walk in and take the elevator straight to your room at 1pm in the afternoon?

Year ago, I stayed at the Atlantico Copacabana and they never charged me a thing. I usually booked at corner suite for $R200 and they let me entertain 247. The extreme opposite, I once stayed 2 nights at the Portinari Design Hotel and they wanted to charge all and any of my guests (male buddy mongers included) I was not even allowed to have a 'business meeting' in my room. Total BS. I had to have my fun at the termas or went to Vanity. The rooms were super high tech and interestingly decorated but definitely not for us mongers.

This being said, does anybody know the policies of the ORLA Copacabana Hotel? the Miramar Copacabana?

I found decent prices for both (considering the current exchange rate) on the web site . . . http://www.hotel-rates.com/brazil/rio-de-janeiro/
for $95/night and $111/night respectively for a double room.

I am trying to get to Rio by July 12th. I welcome all help and suggestions.

Almotu

Rio Bob
06-29-05, 00:16
Guys,
This being said, does anybody know the policies of the ORLA Copacabana Hotel? the Miramar Copacabana?

I stayed in the Miramar twice , first time girl friendly then it was bought by another company fixed it up and then not girl friendly anymore. I was shocked as I booked for 10 nights and on the first night I bring a garota back from Help and they tell me no way. I immedately checked in to the Debret which was garota friendly at the time and stayed there the next 9 days.

I believe the Orla is still garota friendly.

Exec Talent
06-29-05, 01:48
The extreme opposite, I once stayed 2 nights at the Portinari Design Hotel and they wanted to charge all and any of my guests (male buddy mongers included) I was not even allowed to have a 'business meeting' in my room. Total BS. I had to have my fun at the termas or went to Vanity. The rooms were super high tech and interestingly decorated but definitely not for us mongers.

The Portinari had no problem with my Brazilian girlfriend coming and going as she pleased. I always register her on the room with me and make sure she has her own key. However, you are absolutely correct that they are not garota friendly. During extended stays at breakfast I rarely saw other than the regular couples. You could have a garato stay with you, but the charge was pretty high (don't remember the exact amount). When I asked them about that they told me that their emphasis was on the business traveller.

Genghis Khan
07-03-05, 09:34
hello friends,

i recommend the rio international in copacabana. they charge extra for getting a girl in, but they never made any problem. sure they keep the girl's id, but i see that as reassuring, since i am certain that the girl is not a minor, and she can't steal anything (they always call me when she leaves, to be sure everything is ok). the rooms have high speed internet access and nice balconies.
http://www.riointernacional.com.br

a question: is the sheraton barra girl friendly ?
http://www.starwood.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyid=1452

kind regards.

bimbo boy.

bimbo boy,

about half a year ago i wanted to go to rio and stay at the rio internacional. i tried to book this hotel from bobby at blameitonrio4travel, but they told me it wouldn't allow guests to the room. then i sent the hotel an e-mail and they confirmed this. are you saying that they have changed this policy. i love the beachfront balconies in this hotel.

gk

Literol
07-07-05, 03:49
About over a year ago, I stayed at the Savoy Othon for few days. A little bit on the low end [probably the same level as the Drebret or Rio Rioss], but served the purpose for me just fine. The most important feature for me is they are very garota friendly [at least at the time], did not have problem bringing the Help girl in, even late night. I did some seach in this forum but could find any post on this hotel. I plan to go back to Rio soon and plan to book this hotel again. Anybody happen to know if they are still garota friendly just the same?

Fido Dido
07-08-05, 21:55
Hotel Ipanema Inn is good. Take a double, standard room. Book through www.ipanema.com (best rates).

Kaysar
07-10-05, 05:27
Henry R,

Your message box is full.

Atlantico copacabana hotel is indeed in Copacabana, on Rua Sequeira(?sp) Campos, about 4 blocks from Copa beach, a 5-minute walk from the hotel. Can check hotel website for location.

Metro station next door is called Rua Sequeira campos or copacabana metro station.Try to get room in higher floor to avoid day time street noise.

El Mujerista
07-15-05, 21:11
As posted earlier in the 2005 Reports Forum, EM recently stayed at the Atlantico Copacabana Hotel. As Kaysar says, it's in Copacabana, on Rua Siquera Campos with the junction of Rua Tonelero. Literally across the street from the Rua Siqueira Compos Metró station and less than two minutes away from EM's favourite terma, L'uomo.

The Atlantico Copacabana is a great hotel, executive rooms are like suites with a huge master bath that includes a a full-blown sauna, a two (or three or four even) person shower and jucuzzi tub, not to mention the more or less standard toilet and bidet. The downside was the exec rooms are only on the lower floors and whilst the bed area has air conditioning the rest of the room does not. Even though EM was there in "winter," with the temp outside hovering about 30º or more, this became somewhat of an issue. The staff had warned that street noise might be a problem and let him choose between two rooms, one on the first floor and one on the second. EM chose the one on the first, where noise wasn't a problem as the window looked out over an adjacent rooftop, rather ugly but EM wasn't there for the view...

The room had a hardwired broadband Internet connection, but the jack was in the bedroom and would not have been terribly easy to use except EM had with him a wireless access point and set that up to reach the only real workspace available, on a table in the "living room." It was not free, but rather reasonable compared to places recently encountered in Europe.

The mini-bar was rather large compared to what EM normally finds, was reasonably priced, and included enough space for one's own items. There's a Senda's market in the shopping centre below L'uomo, so after getting sucked dry at the terma, one can stock up and be ready to party with a garota from Help (or an encore from a terma lady) later in the evening. There's also an ATM/Cashpoint in the building next door, quite convenient.

To answer jayf1970's question, the executive room where EM stayed featured a whole wall of floor to ceiling mirrors parallel to the bed. Unfortunately, EM found that once things got rocking, the wood-framed bed made quite a racket, which he found distracting. Not a real problem, as there was a rather large and comfortable couch in the bedroom (and living room, for that matter) that easily and quietly accommodated the action.

EM found the Atlantico Copacabana to be girl friendly, and he is a bit confused by apparently contradictory reports. EM wonders if some might be getting their hotels confused -- even the taxistas do it, so it's not uncommon. The Atlantico Copacabana did ask his garota from Help to show her passport/ID. EM did not ascertain whether one of his favourite terma ladies was asked the same when she later called in mid-afternoon. Unlike some hotels EM has stayed in Rio (notably the Luxor Copacabana), in neither case did they call afterwards to make sure all was OK when the lady left...

Happy Hunting,
EM

Bimbo Boy
07-16-05, 14:47
Dear Gengis Khan,

Well, it's clear that the hotel staff and the direction do not really enjoy the sex tourists like us. They'd like to have an all family or business clientele. Of course, if you ask directly, they may say no. In practice, no problem though.

I've been to this place several times in the past 3 years, and NEVER had any problem in letting girls up in my room. The only thing is that the bellboy makes you sigh a slip of paper that means a charge of 100R$. It's expensive, but at least one can fuck in a nice room. It's less than the Sofitel (150R$).

Regards.

BB.

Bimbo Boy,

About half a year ago I wanted to go to Rio and stay at the Rio Internacional. I tried to book this hotel from Bobby at BlameitonRio4Travel, but they told me it wouldn't allow guests to the room. Then I sent the hotel an e-mail and they confirmed this. Are you saying that they have changed this policy. I love the beachfront balconies in this hotel.

GK

Eberhard
07-16-05, 16:08
Friends,

has anybody an experience with the Hotel Oceano Copacabana?

It's next to Terma Montecarlo.

Eberhard

Exec Talent
07-19-05, 20:42
just stayed at the atlantico copacabana hotel a few days while looking at apartments and waiting for my luggage which had been delayed.

the good: definitely guest friendly with no extra charges. they have the girl fill out a registration form and check her documents. some of the front desk personnel were a little gruff, almost amusingly so. but i found most of them very helpful. in particular i liked the older gentleman at night who checked the girls out (and in). smart, nice guy who speaks 6 languages; he is worth a few minute chat.

like most hotels where i have stayed it was very clean and the bathroom (regular room) was large and water pressure strong enough to sand blast a car.

unlike em, i gave my bed a good ride several times and there was no creaking. being on the 11th floor, street noise also was not a problem.

breakfast was very nice though some of the regular woman (and men) gave the girl with me (who was wearing a particularly short skirt) some looks.

the bad: since i actually work while i am here having high-speed internet access is essential, not optional. i had so many problems connecting and when i did, it was painfully slow. and the charges were outrageous. there is an internet cafe up the street to the left that was r$3.95 for an hour. the hotel was r$2.20 for a few minutes.

overall: i would stay at this hotel if cost (rate was r$160+10%= r$176), location to metro, termas, girl friendliness were important. the standard room, tv, ac and music more than met my needs. for all intents and purposes though, they do not have high speed internet and what they do have is very expensive. therefore, i wouldn't stay there again unless they could assure me that the internet access has improved and that they include it in the price of the room. btw, although not girl friendly portinari design hotel does have real high-speed internet and does include it in the room rate (guess i got spoiled).

Gladiator
07-19-05, 21:19
Thanks Exec for that review.

Is there any website for that hotel? Do you know if you can take more than 1 girl up to the room at once?

Exec Talent
07-19-05, 22:39
www.atlanticocopacabana.com.br

As for two girls at a time, I do not know. They had no problem with me bringing one up sending her on her way then bringing up another. Again, the guy at the front desk was really cool and helpful. When I asked the day desk clerk about their guest policy, he mentioned that it would be nice if I tipped the night clerk which I was pleased to do. The night clerk acted like he had had more than his share of fun during his younger days and had seen it all. My guess is if you asked him if you could take two girls up to the room, his response would be only if he could watch! Although I am in an apartment now, I probably will stop back one night just to chat with him again.

Donsat
07-21-05, 08:46
Does Atlantico Copacabana Hotel have internet in rooms?

What is best rate found and were?

Brazil Lover
07-31-05, 18:02
I stayed there about a year and a half ago, and it was a fine hotel with a good guest policy. Has anyone stayed there lately? If so, can you tell me if their girl policies have changed?

Thank you.

B J Lover
08-01-05, 02:02
I read the posts below. My impression is that they definitely do allow guests - they may have to sign in downstairs but be cool about it and get in good with the front desk dude.

Will someone confirm this for absolutely sure? I'm staying there for cost and location in Sept and would really like guests as well.

Of course they respond to all my emails, except the ones specifically asking them about the guest policy. I guess if they never respond, I can't hold them to it.

Kaysar
08-01-05, 06:08
Ther ARE guest friendly. NO Extra Charge for the girls either. No need to ask hotel about it, I stayed 1 month ago, I know! Even the bellboy will try to hook you up with girls.

The best rate I got from Ipanema.com, I described my experience with this hotel in earlier reports. Please see those posts. Enjoy

Lover Boy #2
08-01-05, 07:40
BJ Lover #2,

Just get a double at the Atlantico Copacabana Hotel. It is 100% friendly. I am hereby certifying and confirming this. The desk guys are very nice, multi-lingual and want you to be happy. It is not necessary to hold them to anything. This is a good starting point and everything will go fine.

Brazilman
08-01-05, 10:03
Loverboy,

I went on ipanema.com and it says the single and the double are both 155 Reals at Atlantico Copacabana. Is this possible. Do they charge extra for guests?How much did you pay and how was the standard room compared to princess copacabana. The picture of the suite is nice but who knows with the standard.

Exec Talent
08-01-05, 22:36
You know it is not because I haven't been getting regular (and fantastic sex) but some of you guys must have ridden the short bus. Atlantico is DEFINITELY guest friendly as I stated in my post just a few days ago. Could I have been any clearer?

Some of you shouldn't worry so much about learning Portuguese. You might want to spend some time on standard written English.

Ibiza007
08-02-05, 02:43
Gentlemen,

I am moving to Rio Sept 1, 2005, for 6 months. I need a good place for the first week , while I settle in, and then info on apartments.

I am looking for advice on three areas.

1. ) A good place to stay for one week while I get situated. My work will require that I visit FGV university every weekday for the entire six months. I belive this is located in the praia Botofogo Area. Any comments on living in Botofogo vs. Ipanema or Copacabana. I hav ebeen told by Brasilian associates that I should live in Ipenema and commute to Botofogo daily? How far is the commute and will it be safe to travel with a notebook computer on the bus or Metro in that area. The other optio is to live in Botogogo, which that say is the secong best part of Rio to live. Would anyone agree or disagree with the rating for Botofogo? Would I be missing the spirit of Rio by living in Botofogo or would I actually be in an area that is more the real Rio than the tourist areas of Ipanema?

2. A good apartment locating agency. I am moving from London, UK and I went through hell to find a good place and also to get a phone and the internet, etc. I would not mind using an agency, as my Portuguese is weak and I could never do the job over the telephone. Any thoughts on a one bedroom in Ipanema or in Botofogo, as far as price per month? What is high and what is low? What should I pay for a "nice " place with security in place.
Is Ipanema safe at night? Is Botofogo? I have heard that Copacabana is a bit seedy during the day and even worse at night? Comments.

3. Best travel agency for airline tickets? Appreciate any advice.

3A. Termas, best that are close to Botofogo, if any as I will be their everyday. Best in Ipanema or the area, as I may be living there. Any other suggestions. Are most termas in the Centro? I see several sites offering gatas for 2 hours for $R100.00 is that correct and it sounds like a bargain, about 22 pounds for 2 hours, vs london at 150 pound sterling (600R) per hour.

Look forward to any good solid advice. Thanks

Ibiza 007

Perkele
08-02-05, 04:01
Ibiza!

Congratulations, you're gonna have a lots of fun. To your questions.

Ipanema, Leblon and Copacabana have a more apartments available for 6 mts period. Botafogo and Flamengo are middle class brasilian neighbourhoods. Unfortunately its REALLY difficult to find temporary apatrments in Botafogo / Flamengo area. Usually owners want minimum 1 year contract and they require a guarantee (fiador). Also you need all kinds of proofs that you have income etc. So your best bet is Ipanema/Copacabana. Copacabana is not nice neighbourhood to live especially if you work/study on daily basis. Ipanema/Leblon is expensive so there are your parameters. Depends on your own requirements.

I would try apart-hotels, which are combinations with hotel and apartment. A bit expensive, but safe etc.

Commuting in Rio. Well as a foreigner you DON'T travel by bus/metro with your laptop. Either you get a car or you use a taxi. Buses are not very safe nor convenient. When I lived in Rio I was forbidden to use buses/metro for work related travelling. Taxi's are reasonably priced and fairly safe. Only downside is that occasionally you'll run into a driver who doesn't know your destination and you need to tell him how to get there.

About thermases and other *****houses, worry not. Just pick a taxi and ask the driver. I have a couple of friends who might give you a hand on that area, just PM me.

And last piece of advice, if you don't speak portuguese its time to start learning. When you master the language to the level where you can exchange information with the brasilians you most probably will see slightly different Rio.

Good luck.

P

B J Lover
08-02-05, 05:55
Exec - you know the policies change daily in Copa. I was 99 44/100% sure, but it still gave me pause when they would not answer any of the three emails I sent regarding guest policy, but responded in 20 minutes to every other question I posed.

Single and double are the same price - I got a single, as I like the large King size bed. I'm sure they won't hassle me for the single as opposed to the double when bringing my garotas back!

I now feel 100%. Thanks for the confirmation (sarcasm included).

Lover Boy #2
08-02-05, 07:40
BJ Lover #2,

You just fucked up. You need to book the double....this guarantees the addition, even though they are the same price.

You can have the double on your hotel card and still have the one big bed (I did). When you check in just tell them your wife will be along later. Everyone on the desk is cool....they will laugh.

If you use a little comedy with the personnel and tip lightly, everything will be extremely smooth. They really went out of their way for me.

Have a blast!!

Lover Boy #2
08-02-05, 07:48
Brazilman,

The room was very nice...the water pressure was the best in all the world. The combination of water pressure and high heat is excellent to wash the penis after sex and keep the hygeine level very high.

I'm not familiar with the other hotel, but the room was very acceptable for the price.

I paid 140 R, but this was in Oct. 2004...and I called ahead. My Ok Portuguese was the clincer on the rate (they initially wanted 155 R/nacht)

Brazilman
08-02-05, 19:47
Loverboy,

Did they charge extra for girls? If not, it looks like 140R is a great deal compared to the 255 that Princess is now charging. Are they out of their mind?

Lover Boy #2
08-03-05, 08:43
I don't know about the Princess, but in Brasil, you don't always get what you pay for. There are some great deals out there and paying more does not necessarily get you more.

If you are only staying one day, your bargaining hand might not be too strong. If you are staying a few days, they will give you a better price. If you can call in decent local tongue.....much better.

The guys (and one middle aged woman) were very fascinated by my "wives" who came by during my stay. They had a lot of friendly questions and I answered honestly. It was extremely funny.

Lover Boy #2
08-03-05, 08:46
Sorry, I forget....NO....No extra for the girl. NEVER. I had mostly after hours terma girls who came nicely dressed and looked very pretty. If you bring a skank off the street....you might get a different response. I also don't drink, and can walk straight, so they were not concerned that I was a dumb ass who would get robbed.

Brazilman
08-07-05, 16:19
Loverboy,

I know someone mentioned the street that Atlantico is on but I don't know streets.

1) If your facing help from the street, how far would you have to walk to get to the hotel. for example, Is it 5 blocks to the right and 2 blocks in or is it to far to walk? Thanks.

2) Do I still have to go to the beach in front of that hotel near Help to pick up hookers or can i just go to the beach in front of Atlantico Copacabana to pick up hookers. I was under the impression that the hookers only stay on the beach in front of the hotel near help, but I never looked into other spots on the beach.

Lover Boy #2
08-09-05, 08:09
Although "Atlantico" is in the name, it is not on the Atlantic......more like a tar beach in front of the Atlantico Copa.

This hotel is across the street from Luomo's.....about 3/4 of a block towards the ocean.......but you still have a nice walk through the urban jungle before the beach (about 3 city blocks). It is at Rua Siqueira Campos #90.

You can walk there from Help....but don't do this late at night unless you have some friends with you.

If you are looking at Help....walk to your right to Rua Siqueira Campos, then turn left. About three blocks and look towards your right.....shizzzzam.....you will see the hotel.

Use this place for a night or two...then move to an apartment that you find during the first two days. An apartment is total freedom.

I have spoken to women on the streets near the hotel about different things. None were hookers, just hard working Brasilians. These are regular women to take on a date. The hookers are on the beach.

Trippleecks
08-09-05, 13:08
If you do decide to stay at that Hotel "TAKE A CAB EVERYWHERE AT NIGHT".. The neighborhood is not very safe. It's also about 6 blocks from the beach.

Sphere2
08-10-05, 03:57
Hi,

Does anyone have information on a good beach front hotel in Ipanema? There only 3 or 4, but does anyone have personal experience there. By good, I mean very clean, classy decor, up to date furniture, safe area etc.

I won't have any guest issues so that's not a consideration.

Thanks,

Sphere

Boozer
08-10-05, 04:23
Sphere,

It's been a few years, but the Cesar Park was (and may still be) the best of the Ipanema hotels. Very nicely done, and the service was top-notch. Probably not at all guest friendly but that won't be a problem for you.

Lorenzo
08-10-05, 04:27
Sphere2,

Caesar Park is top of the line. You can sneak a girl in pretty easily in the daytime as long as she looks respectable. I've never tried it at night.

Lorenzo

Dave7427
08-11-05, 03:03
Sphere2,

I stayed at Sol Ipanema Hotel on my first excursion to Rio. Only a couple of blocks from Cesar Park hotel and right across the street is the beach. A couple blocks behind it is all the Ipanema shops and restaurants.

I booked a mtn. view room online for a week (it is actually part of Best Western chain) and when I got to the hotel they gave me a beach view room. Only about 6 rooms on each floor and good free buffet breakfast every morning.

There are cheaper hotels and more expensive hotels nearby but IMHO this hotel provided very good combination of value, location, cleanliness and safety particularly for a first timer to Rio.

Lover Boy #2
08-11-05, 04:53
Brazilman,

Ave. Atlantica to Rua A.Saldanha aka. Domingos Ferreira (half block) at that point, to Ave. NS Copacabana to Rua Barata Ribeiro...look on the right at Tonelero. The main blocks are NS Copacabana, Rua Barata Ribeiro and the hotel is at Tonelero. About 3 city blocks and .39 kilometres to the beach.

I like the neighborhood of this hotel, though admittedly not for everyone. The metro is directly across the street, as is Luomo and a local swinger's club. I have never had a problem, day or night at this place. Friends have stayed here and never had a problem. The theives are mostly looking for tourists on the beach. I have walked here at 0300 and never heard anything from the street guys.