PDA

View Full Version : Rio de Janeiro - Hotels & Apartments

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Big Bopperino
01-07-07, 00:35
Can anyone please recommend some trustworthy apartment agencies to use while in Rio. I don't like booking an apartment unseen, so I decided to get a hotel for the first few days.

I would prefer a place that caters mostly to Brazilians - hopefully to get a better deal.

Thanks!

BB

Gatorman
01-07-07, 03:31
Don't really know that much about the Port. classes, maybe some other members here can help. I think O Globo has a once a week supplement (not online) that is like a service guide. I think a few private instructors advertise there. Also there is a free weekly paper --I think called Posto Seis that has some ads also. I took a one hour individual class in Ipanema once for 45 reals. But really I have learned more in more fun ways from the girls I have been with that don't speak English. Its all good.
Christopherd, those sound like good rates at the Aparthotel. Do they have kitchen facilities in the rooms like many of the apartments? Also, is it no problem bringing the girls there?

Jan 156
01-07-07, 10:15
Christopherd, those sound like good rates at the Aparthotel. Do they have kitchen facilities in the rooms like many of the apartments? Also, is it no problem bringing the girls there?

Yes - they're nice apartments of varying quality and haggle-able prices. In the one I had, the kitchen was separated from the living room by a sort of L-shape. Separate bedroom and balcony looking at the Christ statue.

Absolutely no probs bringing girls there. In fact the security is formally more available than at an apartment. I had two girls over from an agency once. They were not only not very good IMO but started haggling afterwards to add a taxi fare which the agency said was included - and wouldn't leave. I called security up and they negotiated splitting the difference.

I did have a problem with the gas going off for a while. The chap who runs the rental apartments is very friendly but a hell of a bull-shitter. He told me it was a problem affecting the whole of Rio. <g>

The attraction is that maid service is included free of charge. But I think if you can look around for apartments there is better value to be had if you don't mind making up your own bed and emptying your own garbage.

Jan 156
01-07-07, 10:20
Just so as not to give any misleading impression to people coming to Rio for the first time, I *budget* for £15 a night for an apartment on a month-long rental, though I can generally get it closer to a tenner and without the long commitment. I don't think anyone should have to pay more than £15 but some people will want to pay extra for something a bit fancier.

There is no shortage of apartments in Copa (except in Carnaval time).

Exec Talent
02-08-07, 13:52
I have information for you but your PM is turned off. Be sure to LOOK at an apartment before you rent. Check:

Hot water
Air Conditioning
Condition of Building
Signs of insects (roaches)
Street noise
The bed - smell the pillows, many times the pillows reek of sweat (I usually buy my own at Lojas Americanas)
Towels, extra linens

If you are sensitive to noise the last place you want to be is on a low floor on NS Copacabana at an intersection. The buses screech to a stop and rumble loudly starting out.

Keep in mind that apartment rental agencies often rent apartments like used car dealers sell cars. They try to rent you the apartment that has the greatest profit for them, not necessarily the apartment that is best for you.

Right now it is a buyers market. Tourism is way down. If you are coming after Carnaval and not during the time of the Pan AM games, there is no reason to send a deposit months in advance. You will have no trouble finding a nice apartment at a good price.

If you are renting for more than a week. Come to Rio and stay in a hotel for a night. Arrange visits of the apartments you have seen on the internet. Like used car dealers, agencies try to push to close the deal and get your deposit money. Don't bite.

UPDATE: A couple of things that I forget in the original post. When checking out apartments try to get an apartment with the fewest number of units per floor. The more units, the more noisy and nosey neighbors. Also, in Rio the most popular renovation method is to beat the crap out a wall with a hammer or chisel and hammer. Look not only on your floor, but take a walk up and down the stairs. Are there any apartments being renovated? If so, forget about sleeping in or that hot number you brought home last night staying until noon.

Jan 156
02-08-07, 20:41
I have information for you but your PM is turned off. Be sure to LOOK at an apartment before you rent. Check: <snip>

An excellent post - I'd recommend it as one of distinction (but not sure how to do that).

It looks basic info but it shows experience. That's the way to do it for sure.

Exec Talent
02-09-07, 13:54
We all hate them, but I think we can understand why a reservation deposit and security deposit is necessary. I have never heard of anyone getting ripped off of their deposit money, so I think sending it is pretty safe.

Western Union to Brazil is very reasonable if you use a supermarket or drugstore. Do not use Western Union offices since they tend to charge about 5 times as much. Paypal works too.

Recently I rented an apartment from www.rioapartments.com and used the option to pay the deposit online with a credit card. What I was not told was that my $200 deposit would be subject to a VAT of $40.

Off Road
02-09-07, 23:17
I have used and trust:
Kenn at ez-riorentals.com
the team at riorentals.com

You can get a nice 2br for around $100 a night with internet access. And that would be closer to the action. The farther away from the beach, the less it costs.

What I would do if I were you, email both of them tell them what you are looking for exactly (location, prices, size) and they will more than likely send back links of potential apartments for you.

You can also then post the address or link here of what you are thinking about, many of us know the apartments.

Off Road
02-11-07, 16:10
As I was writing this I just recieved another email for an apartment from info@rioapartments.com and this apartment looks very acceptable. Does anyone recognize it? http://www.rioapartments.com/2-3_aluguel_de_imoveis_2_quartos_copacabana/ The cost of this rental for 30 days is $1,400 dollars plus gas, electric, and a cleaning charge of $20.00. I have sent an email back to them and have them holding it for me for 24 hours. This way I can hopefully recieve some responses from members here who might be familar with it or might have questions I might need to have rioapartments answer for me. The contact person is Mit Shibazaki.

I have rented that apartment, It is on a Domingos Ferrira near the end of the street, on the 10th floor. Nice place. Shower needed some work (valve problem, but had internet and was comfortable and clean. The photos are accurate. This is close to the action too.

Off Road
02-12-07, 20:54
Are there roaches in hotels? My last stay in an apt was roach infested and I am hesitant to try an apt again.
I have stayed in probably 12 different apartments in Rio and none of them have had a roach infestment. I have seen an occasional roach, but that is not unique to Rio or brazil.

Boratsexytime
02-17-07, 12:51
Does anybody know if the Copocabana Excelsior is girl friendly?

Buckfutch
03-09-07, 17:10
Has anyone used rentinrio.com for apartment rentals in Rio? I am planning a trip in mid April and am considering one of their apartments on Ipanema. I am new to the forum so I only have a few credit hours of education at this point but I plan on continuing on to the graduate degree level.

Buck

HoleRanger
03-11-07, 22:02
I'am planning my first trip to Rio(well my second, the first one was work). I would like to stay in a hotel close to the action(Help,4x4,65 etc.) and monger friendly. I speak no Portuguese right now but I will do some online learning over the next 30 days hopefully so I can p/u a basic understanding. What I need is a short list of hotels in the $100.00 range(+/-)$25.00 that are monger friendly. I've come across a few names here but would like some more specific locations/feedback. After trips to Panama and CR,I just have to check out Rio for some fun. Any information would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

Tavares
03-13-07, 08:22
Is Portinari Hotel in Copacabana girl-friendly?

It isn't that expensive and it is NEW, a must in Rio!

Another very good feature about this hotel: rooms are equipped with electronic safe boxes...

Bubba Boy
03-13-07, 16:29
I remember a couple of posts saying that they allow guests but the guest fee is high, from memory R80. Secondly I have heard the hotel is very noisy. I have walked pass it 100's of times, it sits on a busy corner and hence the traffic noise would be horrendous if it is not well insulated.

The princess copacabana is a better bet, that hotel is maybe 5 years old, cheaper, and quiet. Just remember if you stay in the Copa princess, get a room on the inside, not the street side, the street side is really noisy in the morning.

Tavares
03-13-07, 22:29
Thanks Bubba,

Sent a message to Portinari this morning and just got their reply. Guests are allowed for a fee of 150 Reais! which means something like 65 Euros...

On the other hand it is very close to where the action is and a room in one of the top floors should offset the incovenience of the nightlife noise.

Last time I was in Rio ( beginning of February ) I stayed at Oceano. What a dump: small rooms, even smaller bathrooms, cheap furniture and poor breakfast and I was paying 220 Reais per night.

The only nice thing about it was a morena waitress with fantastic dark blue/ grey eyes! coloured lenses, maybe?!

I am flying to Rio on thursday. Bubba, If you happen to be there I would be delighted to invite you for dinner or something. Never seen such a comprehensive city guide like yours. Congratulations and thanks on behalf of all fellow mongers!

Ace512
03-22-07, 13:31
Whats all im plainning to go to Brazil in June, from reading alot info hear and reading Budda guide. im thinking of rent an apartment besides Gringo Management Apartments, what other apartment rental sites are there that anyone can suggest for me.

Thank all,

Ace512

Ryjerrob
03-27-07, 08:24
Has anyone ever stayed at www.riodreamapartment.com???? I'd like to know your experience.

Ryjer

Prosal
03-27-07, 10:07
what other apartment rental sites are there that anyone can suggest for me.

http://www.aluguetemporada.com.br/

You'll find on this brasilian site a LARGE choice of apartamentos more humanely priced than the gringo-managed rentals.

Member #4378
03-29-07, 23:37
I'am planning my first trip to Rio(well my second, the first one was work). I would like to stay in a hotel close to the action(Help,4x4,65 etc.) and monger friendly. I speak no Portuguese right now but I will do some online learning over the next 30 days hopefully so I can p/u a basic understanding. What I need is a short list of hotels in the $100.00 range(+/-)$25.00 that are monger friendly. I've come across a few names here but would like some more specific locations/feedback. After trips to Panama and CR,I just have to check out Rio for some fun. Any information would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

For example, Rio Roiss, among many others. Very close to Help, quite location, and GF. Allows only one girl if booked a double room (make sure you book a double room). Try to call them and negotatiate a price.

Sprite13
03-30-07, 05:39
Can anyone post/recommend a reliable, good and not to expensive hotel in Centro or near Centro? I'll be in Rio in 2 weeks and this time, I'd like to give Centro a shot.

Thanks.

Ulrico
03-30-07, 09:25
Can anyone post/recommend a reliable, good and not to expensive hotel in Centro or near Centro? I'll be in Rio in 2 weeks and this time, I'd like to give Centro a shot.

Thanks.Good price, good location, good experience = Hotel Atlantico Copacabana:
http://www.atlanticocopacabana.com.br/

Prosal
03-30-07, 10:35
Can anyone post/recommend a reliable, good and not to expensive hotel in Centro or near Centro? I'll be in Rio in 2 weeks and this time, I'd like to give Centro a shot. .

If you want to stay almost halfway between Centro and Copacabana, then the Mercure Apt Botafogo - former Parthenon Botafogo Long Stay - is IMHO the best opton. It's my favorite apart-hotel in Rio. For me the location is just perfect, out of the 'gringos ghetto' in a nice neighborhood, close from Rio Sul and Cobal do Humaita (the nicest bar complex in Rio IMO) and with an easy access to Centro.

Jan 156
03-31-07, 03:16
Thanks.

You sound like you know Rio, but for the sake of general readers, let's point out that Centro ('Downtown') is about half an hour or more from Copa. Someone quotes Hotel Atlantico Copacabana, which even by it's own website, is "three blocks from the world famous Copacabana Beach", ie in Copacabana, not Centro. Maybe the poster thought you meant central Copa.

Botafogo is not exactly halfway geographically but a good halfway stop if you want to get to both Copa and Centro. It's an interesting, reasonably upmarket area with good shopping, nightlife, cinemas (although you need to know exactly where to go for P4P). Crap beaches - but you can get to Urca or Copa/Leme beaches easily enough.

Maybe you could post details of Botafogo accomm? Some agencies in Copa include apartments in Botafogo, but the further you go from Copa the more you need to be able to speak Portuguese.

For first timers wanting to try Centro, get the Metro. It's cheap and safe and you can't get lost (although you'll probably take a few wrong turns first time in Centro - have something comfy on your feet and maybe wear long trousers instead of shorts if you don't want to stand out).

More experienced mongers may just want to stay on or near Princess Isabel (the street that separates the eastern end of Copa from Leme). You can get almost any bus into town from there (but also have 24hr P4P on your doorstep ;-) )

Sprite13
03-31-07, 06:17
Thanks guys for the tips. Yes indeed, I said Centro as in downtown around Flamengo, Botafogo, Catete or Gloria. Anyone can recommend a hotel with a good location, safe area and a good price?

Thanks.

RonnyRon
04-12-07, 01:22
I suggest The Hotel Argentina, which is nice and cheap. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff is friendly and helpful. It's conveniently located (one block from the beach in Flamengo, one block from a subway stop and you can reach all major destinations easily by bus), the area is and feels safe at night. They have a very good buffet next to the lobby. Free internet for guest on the first floor. I believe it cost me R115.00 for the night, but that was a couple of years ago. Here are a couple of links with more info:

http://www.argentinahotel.com.br/ingles.htm

http://www.brazilhotelbooking.com/rio_de_janeiro_hotels/argentina.htm

RR

Sunset Strip
04-12-07, 01:28
Sprite,

A really good book to take a look at is Let's Go travel's brazil guide. They also have a Rio guide.
Let's Go is a guide that specializes in budget travel. But the places they recommend are never dirty, just cheap.

If you go to a bookstore just look for it in the travel section and most public libraries have it.
Even if you do not want to buy it, I advise browsing through at a bookstore and perhaps writing some stuff down.

TJ

Sprite13
04-12-07, 07:06
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have already booked my hotel in Ipanema. Nice little pousada for 90 reais, very nicely located.

Sunset Strip
04-14-07, 01:23
Sprite,

Care to share the name of this place. A website link would be great, if available.

I know the San Marco goes for around that amount, or at least it used to.

TJ

Ryjerrob
04-14-07, 20:17
With all the agencies, it's been hard for me to know who's who. Usually when I'm down here, I just use my Nextel for all my calls. This time, I forgot it. I do have a free one from where I'm staying now. But before that, I went into the Blame It On Rio office, and they let me use the phone to call the states for free. I went back again earlier today, I got to meet Bobby. He was really cool. It's great when you can put a face with the name of someone whose mentioned a lot.

Anyway, while I have never rented from him, after actually meeting him, I'm gonna give it a try when I get back down here for the Pan Am Games.

Ryjerrob

Sprite13
04-17-07, 06:20
Sprite,

Care to share the name of this place. A website link would be great, if available.

I know the San Marco goes for around that amount, or at least it used to.

TJ

TJ,
The name of the place is Colinas Residencias. Website is colinasresidencia.com
You can also find the hotel on hoteis.com.br Portuguese (or at worst, Spanish needed, last time, they did speak some basic English at reception) but very nice people there, nice place and quite area, very conveniently located. This place would be more suited for the younger traveller, ie those under 35 type of crowd IMHO.

Sunset Strip
04-18-07, 01:57
Thanks. I saw the review on hotels.com, and it was in English. Looks like a "young" crowd, as you say.

I think I am kind of hooked on Copa anyway.

The San Marco has gone up a bit.

http://www.sanmarcohotel.net/

TJ

Bizzie
04-18-07, 04:44
Hey guys,
Visiting GIG for the first time and looking for a good, (4-5*) hotel with relaxed guest poicy. I have been reading the forum but need help.
There are plenty of expensive hotels available, I just dont wanna get stuck in one that has restricted policy for guests.
Thanks.

Yariv
04-18-07, 05:18
Hey guys,

Visiting GIG for the first time and looking for a good, (4-5*) hotel with relaxed guest poicy. I have been reading the forum but need help.

There are plenty of expensive hotels available, I just dont wanna get stuck in one that has restricted policy for guests.

Thanks.I don't think there are any 4-5* in rio without any restrictions when it comes to bringing women in. I suggest 2-3* or rent an apartment.

Pipe Layer99
04-18-07, 10:02
Hey guys,
Thanks.

Bizzie,

Since you're going to Rio for the first time, here is some hotel info for you.

*Before you pay/confirm any reservations with a hotel, ask your travel agent or call the hotel yourself to inquire about their guest policy. Don't worry, they will be professional with you.

Last November, I used rio-de-janiero-hotels.net
I reserved a room (for two) at the Ibiza Hotel using their web site. I then called to make sure guests were allowed. AFTER I got confirmation for guests, I booked the room. Two other hotels I asked about would not allow guests.
Note - Its very important to book a room 'for two' to avoid paying any surchages. Had I booked a single room, I think I would have had to pay a fee for my guests ;-) You can see them in the photo section.

Another good site is: brazils-hotels.com
I found their rates were a little more expensive than the site one above.

Although not a hotel - you may consider an apartment. No worry about a guest policy. But no breakfast and other ammenities like a hotel. Anyway,
I've used Copa Apartments. Dieine runs it and she is great. She showed me 3 apartments. The one I really liked was only available for a few days, then I would have to move to another. I told her I wanted the nice once for a week and really don't want to move. But since it was already booked by another client, she offered me a R10 discount (per day) on the other available apartment. So she is very accomodating.

Good luck and don't forget to book the room for '2'

Donnie

Rio Regular
04-18-07, 18:31
Hey guys,
Thanks.

I always stay at the Marriott. I will be there next week. It has great security and is girl friendly. The only draw back is that you can only bring one girl in at a time.

They also let the girl stay as long as you want in the morning. I know other hotels make the girl leave in the morning so the girls aren't riding the elevators and in the lobby during the daytime.

Jan 156
04-19-07, 13:53
I always stay at the Marriott. I will be there next week. It has great security and is girl friendly. The only draw back is that you can only bring one girl in at a time.

They also let the girl stay as long as you want in the morning. I know other hotels make the girl leave in the morning so the girls aren't riding the elevators and in the lobby during the daytime.

No shit! You take streetlife back to the Marriott?! I guess it's ok if they are upmarket and you don't mind the label. I go there for lunch or to use the ATM.

Or do you just have them sent straight to your room?

A downside of a reasonably good hotel is they expect you to dress better than a lowlife Brasilian (my choice unless I'm doing Porcau's or the ballet). I find it quite amusing going to the Marriott and they grovel offering nice rates and benefits when I'm dressed well. And then try to look away as they talk to me if I've slopped in wearing havianias.

Rio Regular
04-19-07, 17:23
No shit! You take streetlife back to the Marriott?! I guess it's ok if they are upmarket and you don't mind the label. I go there for lunch or to use the ATM.

Or do you just have them sent straight to your room?

A downside of a reasonably good hotel is they expect you to dress better than a lowlife Brasilian (my choice unless I'm doing Porcau's or the ballet). I find it quite amusing going to the Marriott and they grovel offering nice rates and benefits when I'm dressed well. And then try to look away as they talk to me if I've slopped in wearing havianias.

The girls I bring usually are pretty hot. But I,ve seen them all. It is great rolling on up to the front desk after help seeing who else is dragging back girls to the hotel then seeing them again the next day at the pool or at lunch.

What I like about the place is that the whole staff is on the team. They are all pulling for you and helping you out any way they can.

Rio is a beach town so a t shirt bathing suit and flip flops are just fine.

Bizzie
04-20-07, 04:13
Thank you for the information, lads.

Much appreciated!

Since I hate 'the walk of shame', I may try an apratment. But so far I have not found a really nice/luxury apartment at the beach.

Fun And Sun
04-21-07, 17:14
Fellow mongerers,

Wanted to add a quick report on this hotel since this is where I stayed during my February Rio trip. (Hey, better to write a late report than no report. :)

Girl friendliness - yes, no problem at night whatsoever, no problem in the day time either, but they frown a bit if there are other guests around.

Price - don't remember, but just google them and check their website, it varies a lot during the year in my understanding.

Other guests - a few mongerers there, but mainly Brazilians on holiday staying there in my impression.

Cleanliness - no issues, nice and clean hotel. A very robust safe.

Security - I drank to much one night and the GDP that had come back with me asked me to pay in advance, which resulted in a bit of a heated argument between me and her. No problem with enlisting the support of the front desk sending security up to kick her out. After this I went back to Help again, another girl, same problem, and again security helped me out. (This taught me to stay reasonable sober in Rio.) An apology to the front desk the day after, and a polite tip to the security guard and the receptionist made sure that I could keep taking girls back with me.

Funny angle - maybe I shouldn't write this, but if the front desk guy approved of the girl I had brought back for the evening he would get their phone number from them.

Helpfulness - I was with a very hot garota from cicciolina one night and ran out of condoms, a quick phone call, and the helpful security guard went out to get them for me.

Summary, good location, very girl friendly, good security, so recommended.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I certainly hope that the author or somebody else will post a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php?) for more information.

Hojeobrigado
04-22-07, 02:51
Thanks Fun and Sun.

Nice report. I will be staying there this fall.

Thanks for the latest!

Fun And Sun
04-27-07, 01:57
Thanks Fun and Sun.

Nice report. I will be staying there this fall.

Thanks for the latest!Cheers Hojeo.

Probably shouldn't do any more plugs for this hotel, but it's also in a pretty good location. L'Oumo is just up the street, half way between Help and all the Boites, I was pretty happy with it.

One more tip that might be helpful if you're staying there: When going home with your companion of the evening, if you give directions "Hotel Atlantico Copacabana, Rua Siqueiro Campos" the taxis tend to take you to the intersection of Avenida Atlantico and Siqueiro Campos, and then you have to redirect them back. (It's only 2 real, but hey, it's the principle...) If you are in a good taxi, just show them your room key which has the address on it.

BillWilson2007
04-30-07, 02:37
In advance, 1st post here, could not find, I did UFSE...

Planning a august or sept 07 trip
First trip to Rio ( 30+ trips to LOS, and speak spanish, will get by in Port.)

Have 2 major questions:
Stay in Copa or Ipa?

Second:
here is my list of hotels ( from Gate1 Travel, i MAY use thier deal)
Savoy Othon
Best Western Rio Copa
Agusto's Copa
Luxor Continental
Mar Ipanema
Luxor Regente
Orla Copa
Rio Othon Palace
Sheraton Rio

Gate 1 has trips to LOS, i know thier selection there and they are nice hotels, but far from the action

There price is $900 to $1,100 usd for a 6 nite w/ air deal
I am ok with that, as i have priced tickets and they are about that from LAX

I know, I know, hotels are not my best bet, however for a 6 nite slutfest, it will do

So gents, comments, good or bad on the above hotels
1) dump hotel or not
2) location ok
3) info on guest friendly

thanx in advance

BW

Rio Bob
04-30-07, 16:12

Planning a august or sept 07 trip
First trip to Rio ( 30+ trips to LOS, and speak spanish, will get by in Port.)

Have 2 major questions:
Stay in Copa or Ipa?

Second:
Savoy Othon
Best Western Rio Copa
Agusto's Copa
Luxor Continental
Mar Ipanema
Luxor Regente
Orla Copa
Rio Othon Palace
Sheraton Rio

Gate 1 has trips to LOS, i know thier selection there and they are nice hotels, but far from the action

There price is $900 to $1,100 usd for a 6 nite w/ air deal
I am ok with that, as i have priced tickets and they are about that from LAX

I know, I know, hotels are not my best bet, however for a 6 nite slutfest, it will do

So gents, comments, good or bad on the above hotels
1) dump hotel or not
2) location ok
3) info on guest friendly

thanx in advance

BW

I'll just give you my 2 cents on the hotels I am familiar with:

Luxor Continental <-- Near the Mariott so good location, luxor chain is a good chain and guest friendly

Luxor Regente <-- Near HELP Disco so good location, luxor chain is a good chain and guest friendly

Orla Copa <-- Near the Sofitel so good location, newer hotel and guest friendly.

Rio Othon Palace <---- Never was guest friendly for me but good location.

Sheraton Rio <-- 20 minutes by taxi outside of Copacabana, nice hotel with great pool and semi private beach, guest friendly

Jan 156
04-30-07, 17:35
Stay in Copa or Ipa?
BW

Welcome to the Forum. Rio Bob and others can advise you better on hotels as I tend to use apartments, but for a 6-day first visit, there's much to be said for a hotel. The facilities for a start, and a concierge who can advise you on simple things like getting around this enormous city, mean that staying in a hotel can save you quite a lot of time.

The choice between Ipa or Copa is quite a difference but both have their attractions.

Copa is quite a long way out of town, but most visitors stay there for mongering as there's plenty of action (Help, Meia Pataca, the boites, several termas, even the beach) right there in Copa. You can get into town reasonably easily from Copa. (And you can miss downtown, as a large proportion of visitors do, without feeling any the worse.) Ipanema on the other hand is about another 20 minutes further out. It is more like 'the USA' - nice shops, beaches, nice and clean - but not a lot of mongering. It has a feeling of respectability compared to Copa and also appears safer (and much of it probably is).

If you weren't interested in mongering, Ipa is the luxury destination. The beach has more VIPs, the sidewalks have more luxury boutiques, it overflows with stylish restaurants, and so on. Copa is more down and dirty. You don't have to travel far for the action, and all the shops you need for essential things are right on the main street and not expensive. But you will have gringo tattoed on your forehead and more people will try to overcharge you, there are more dodgy characters about, and you will most definitely know you are not in Kansas.

If you want the chance of exercising your main muscle, breakfast, noon and night, Copa can accommodate you. Once outside your hotel you are in no-man's land and the day and night is yours for adventure. If you want a nice posh holiday with a once-a-day outing for things you won't advertise on a chat show, stick with Ipa.

(If you want to do genuine cultural stuff as well - and RJ does have must-see things too - including Sugar Loaf at sunset, football at Maracana, or the Christ statue, Ipa is again a bit further out. But on 6days you will probably avail yourself of tours from the hotel for this kind of thing and will hardly notice the difference).

Enjoy Rio, the Marvellous City! Unless you are very unlucky, you will have a fantastic time wherever you stay.

Almotu
05-01-07, 16:05
I always thought that the Luxor hotels charged a joiner fee for each girl you bring back to your room? They are girl friendly and for your protection even will keep the ID of the girl at reception and only let the girl leave after checking with you that it was OK. But I think they charged a fee of $R40-50 per girl.

Can someone confirm their current policy?

Jan 156
05-01-07, 19:24
for your protection even will keep the ID of the girl at reception and only let the girl leave after checking with you that it was OK.

I think Aparthotel did this when I stayed there too (no fee for the girls though). For those not familiar with Aparthotel it's on R. Barata Ribeiro, about a short block from Hobi Club. It's like an apartment except you get maid service and a few other niceties included with the higher price. Door staff will also come to your room if you request them and sort out problems with girls. there's a gym, pool, shops and so on all in the same building and it's quite close to the subway.

It is worth haggling like mad with the guy who does the rentals. He's a nice chap but likes to drive a bargain. If something goes down (eg gas, electric) for any period while you're staying there, insist on a discount (he comes out with "it's the whole of Rio which is affected," duh, which is b*llsh*t).

Sorry - don't ask me the web address - I never book anything I haven't seen to my face.

Euro100
05-01-07, 22:09
Have 2 major questions:
Stay in Copa or Ipa?

Second:
Savoy Othon
Best Western Rio Copa
Agusto's Copa
Luxor Continental
Mar Ipanema
Luxor Regente
Orla Copa
Rio Othon Palace
Sheraton Rio

Stay in Copa, if you go to Rio for mongering purposes.

The Sheraton Rio and the Rio Othon Palace are a step above the rest of your hotels, but not so girl-friendly.

The Best Western is located right in the area with the most boites. Just cross the street, and you are there.

I have just booked my next trip and will stay at the Savoy Othon. It is cheap and very close to the metro station and also L'uomo.

I have stayed several times at the Luxor Continental. It is in Leme, close to the hotel Meridian. Yes, they charge a guest fee and put it on your bill. But if you talk to the night desk guy beforehand and slip him a $20, then he will look the other way.

I have not stayed at the others on your list.

euro

Lennox
05-02-07, 06:10
The choice between Ipa or Copa is quite a difference but both have their attractions.

Copa is quite a long way out of town, but most visitors stay there for mongering as there's plenty of action (Help, Meia Pataca, the boites, several termas, even the beach) right there in Copa. You can get into town reasonably easily from Copa.
Copacabana and Ipanema are beachfront barios right next to each other on in Rio. You can walk between them or take a short cab ride (always advisable at night). I'm not sure what you mean by Copa is quite a long way out of town...I've never heard it described this way, there are tons of restaurants and clubs there... Copacabana is seedier than Ipanema and it is closer to the Favelas so be careful.

Prosal
05-02-07, 08:32
I'm not sure what you mean by Copa is quite a long way out of town...I've never heard it described this way
Christopherd is right. Copacabana is a very small part of Rio de Janeiro. It's quite a long way "out of town" for millions of Cariocas, and very far-off for others millions of Fluminenses. Don't forget that Rio's urban area has a population of almost 12 millions.

BTW, there's not "tons of clubs" in Copacabana, but hardly a handful.

Jan 156
05-02-07, 16:12
I'm not sure what you mean by Copa is quite a long way out of town...I've never heard it described this way, there are tons of restaurants and clubs there... Copacabana is seedier than Ipanema and it is closer to the Favelas so be careful.

Copa is on the south side of the city. Many tourists don't go into town, they just stay in Copa or Ipa. Downtown is called Centro. It's about twenty minutes or so (minimum) from the nearest point, the east edge of Copa (near Leme) when there's no traffic, or by Metro, and much much longer in the rush hour. If you use the buses marked 'Aterro' they go non-stop from Botofogo to Centro, which saves time. There's several suburbs between Copa and Centro - Botofogo, Flamengo, Gloria, St Terese/Lapa, till you get to Cinelandia which is on the south edge of Rio's city centre. So you can say quite factually that Copa is quite a long way out of town. If you are in Ipa, it's even further.

From a mongering point of view, you can often have more straightforward business in Centro. The termas are used by Cariocas so they are not dealing with tourist 'marks' all day. If you want to go to VM, you either go through Centro (or Lapa) or take the back road through the tunnel. VM is north/north-west of the city centre, whereas Copa is due south. Praca Maua is a short way due north of Centro. It's possible to get to Ipa from Centro without going through Copa, but you easily get snarled into the worst traffic on the roads. If you are going to do more than just monger, you have to get out of Copa, so it's as well to get a mental picture of the city. Sugar Loaf is just round the corner (so to speak) in Urca, but a lot of other attractions are a good hike.

If you ever want to go to a Carnaval rehearsal party (later in the year - I think they start about September) you can be looking at over an hour's drive on the freeway north after you leave Centro and still in the city limits.

Rio is a *big* city!

Lennox
05-03-07, 18:37
You know a lot more about Rio than me Chris. I'd like to check out Centro more on my next trip (May 17th to 22nd). It sounds like a lot of cool places to see. Last trips to Rio I've mostly been doing stuff around Ipanema and Copa and enjoyed some of the big sights near there. The places in Centro also sound interesting.

Last time I was there I checked out the Museum of Modern Art, I thought that was near centro, it didn't seem to far from Copa...only took like twenty minutes.

Jan 156
05-04-07, 05:29
You know a lot more about Rio than me Chris. I'd like to check out Centro more on my next trip (May 17th to 22nd). It sounds like a lot of cool places to see. Last trips to Rio I've mostly been doing stuff around Ipanema and Copa and enjoyed some of the big sights near there. The places in Centro also sound interesting.

Last time I was there I checked out the Museum of Modern Art, I thought that was near centro, it didn't seem to far from Copa...only took like twenty minutes.

Give me a PM if you get stuck or let me know where you're staying.

The Museum is quite stunning isn't it! I thought it was quite humbling too. Most foreigners don't realise Brasil's contribution to WWII.

Centro is maybe kinda baffling the first time you go. Like any city centre, hundreds of milling people who know exactly where they are going, every street looks the same at first, and your feet soon ache from going in circles.

The tube stops (esp Carioca and Uruguiana) and the main bus drop offs (the subway near the shore and Tiradentes Palace) are useful landmarks for starters (remember if you get a bus back though,there's a one way system, so you'll find one on Rio Branco).

Then maybe add Cinelandia (lots of interesting touristy bits - remember you can't get into some of them wearing shorts) and Lapa. Then on the north side of the city centre, Pres Vargas (bigger even than Rio Branco, the main thoroughfare). You'll keep heading north to get to the Praca Maua haunts, or go along Pres Vargas by bus west to VM.

Generally on meeting up - my personal thoughts for what it's worth -

I travel solo so it's good to meet up occasionally for friendship. I first met one of my best mates at the GIG airport. There's some things that it's more fun to do together if you're into them (apart from fluent conversation in English). Sugar Loaf is one my faves. Also any performance arts -based stuff. Several people have mentioned conviviality with other mongers in the posher termas.

But then you get to the pit stops, these twisty tiny little staircases in Centro at 10R for 10mins. Getting just yourself up and down some of them is an achievement given the two way traffic. There's not really much social value in going with someone else.

Then just because we monger doesn't mean we have much else in common. My personal bugbears are people who talk very loudly - many tourists do this, particularly in groups. I find it rude and embarrassing (except on Sugar Loaf - anyone can behave like a troglodyte tourist there! <g>) Also I'm not big into groups. If you're down in Rio with a bunch of pals then you've already bonded, and my function is no more than unpaid tour guide. I'd rather meet people on their own for a beer or whatever.

Then there's where you can fit in (Sugar Loaf apart!) I wouldn't be seen in some places with anyone who dresses flash and doesn't know how to protect their cash. They become a liability while ruining whatever street cred you've managed to build up so far. And anyone who thinks they are superior to women or poorly-paid illiterate Brasilians - well, don't get me started!

Finally - and this is something you'll be familiar with if you've been to Rio already, but easy to overlook if you haven't - the scale of the place and the difficulties of getting about are very different to London or Manhattan. That's even before you figure out where the nearest internet connection, how to get a local phone up and running, or differences to allow for traffic at different times of the day. And when you are surrounded by sea, sand and p4p can you really get excited about hanging around for hours to meet someone who hasn't quite got the act together yet? Cariocas are allowed to be late - very late. Etiquette demands everyone else is on time (else there's better things to do!)* So you need to know the logistics. I find even meeting up with someone living 100yds away can be a juggling act some days, so the local thing to do is to have a back-up plan and also know your own capabilities.

Anyway, part of it all is the adventure! :-) We all do things our own way at our own pace.

Sometimes it's nice to have fellow travellers to say 'hi' to . . . .

----------------------------------------------------------
*The exception, and great leveller, is the weather. If there
is a downpour that floods the streets, everything goes back
a couple of hours. This is worth bearing in mind if you, say,
book a concert at a top venue like the Municipal (in which
case it's worth being in the area that afternoon if you can,
unless you are happy to take a chance on losing what you
paid for the ticket when a deluge throws your travel plans.)

Bizzie
05-06-07, 06:14
Thanks you guys. Got a lot of info on the apartments and a few hotels so booked one of each for now. Will have to cancel one by tomorrow.

Has any one stayed at the Excelsior Copacabana recently? GF or not?

Bizzie
05-12-07, 23:16
Here is the scoop, as I experineced it:

Run down hotel and rooms, small rooms, even the Deluxe rooms (US$ 172), which do give you ocean front view.
Mediocre breakfast.
This is no more than a typical low-mid level US motel.

Guest are only allowed after 11 PM.
The fee for each guest is R$ 80, even if you have booked a double.

I had 5 day reservation, but moved out in one to an apartment.

Delaware Guy
05-13-07, 02:10
I found what looks like a reasonable Carnival 2008 rate of $R300 per night for Mercure Apartments in Leblon. I thought I had seen it mentioned here but did a search and came up empty handed. Does anybody have any info? I know Leblon is right beside Ipanema, which is out of the Copa crazyness, and it's a smallish place, but the rate looks good. I will contact them regarding guests but would appreciate any feedback.

Viper10
05-14-07, 16:12
I just rented from www.riorentals4less.com for the 5th time. Their service has always been excellent and John Thompson always takes care of me. This time I stayed on Av. Atlantica and Rua Bolivar Apt#301 and it was an excellent 3 bedroom.

Viper10

Country Counter
05-14-07, 21:29
I found what looks like a reasonable Carnival 2008 rate of $R300 per night for Mercure Apartments in Leblon. I thought I had seen it mentioned here but did a search and came up empty handed. Does anybody have any info? I know Leblon is right beside Ipanema, which is out of the Copa crazyness, and it's a smallish place, but the rate looks good. I will contact them regarding guests but would appreciate any feedback.I saw the same thing Delaware Guy. I looked it up on tripadvisor and only found 1 review, it was positive. I was thinking about booking it but that's the only info I've seen on those apartments.

Jayf1970
05-19-07, 14:35
Billwilson, where did you end up staying? Would appreciate your thoughts on hotels since you seem to have done your homework...

Atlantico Copacabana seems to be getting good reviews - has anybody stayed at both atlantico and rio roiss? Comparison would be much appreciated.

The couple of times I've been to Rio, I have stayed at Rio Roiss hotel. Its closer to a motel 6 in quality than to a holiday inn, but a nice clean enough place at a convenient location right behind Othon Palace. Decent free breakfast. Their standard room rate is R$200. In off season, they'll give it to you for ~150. Girl friendly - you can either book a double room or pay R$50 every time you bring a chica. The first time I visited I opted for the former, but found that the latter works out to be a better choice for me because I tend to monger more at the Termas. Hotel's official policy is not to allow two girls into the room, but the hotel staff will be glad to accomodate you for another R$50.

In any case, I am looking for something a little more upscale this time. Last time, I looked at Princess Copacabana. They had nice clean(er) rooms. But the hotel looked smaller and the location is slightly farther from the beach.

Luxor continental, Luxor regente and Orla copa have gotten a positive mention as well - would appreciate if someone could elaborate on their experiences at these.

Promise to report any unique experiences after the trip.

Obrigado!

I'll just give you my 2 cents on the hotels I am familiar with:

Luxor Continental <-- Near the Mariott so good location, luxor chain is a good chain and guest friendly

Luxor Regente <-- Near HELP Disco so good location, luxor chain is a good chain and guest friendly

Orla Copa <-- Near the Sofitel so good location, newer hotel and guest friendly.

Rio Othon Palace <---- Never was guest friendly for me but good location.

Sheraton Rio <-- 20 minutes by taxi outside of Copacabana, nice hotel with great pool and semi private beach, guest friendly

Almotu
05-20-07, 03:54
I have stayed in all three of the hotels that you mentioned. IMHO, the best value is Atlantico Copacabana. Get a corner suite, which has a small living room/sitting area. This hotel is girl-friendly and they did not charge a guest fee. Be careful, the night manager tried to ask for money but I knew the policy so I only smile at him after registering the GDP and just continue onto the elevators. Of the three hotels, the Princess has the best furnished rooms. I am not a beach person so their location was not a problem. Can be a bit noisy if your room faces the street. Their rooms cost more than the Atlantico. I would rate the Rio Roiss in third place because the mattress in my room was hard as a brick and the AC was not working properly. The best thing about this place for me was the staff was very attentive & nosy at the same time (they know that you're probably a sex tourist). A few of the bellmen even offered to introduce me to GDPs (probably friends of theirs). Nowadays, I only stay in several rental apartments that I have come to know. Especially with the current exchange rate it is a lot cheaper than staying in hotels.

Bambino
05-29-07, 02:22
Gentlemen,
I will be back in Rio for a week July 17th. I have been staying at the Sol Ipanema. Last time I got 345BRL. But apparently the Pan Am Games are being held at the same time. So the best they are willing to do is 472 (including the 15% tax). This is a bit too expensive for me. And they want 50% up front, and non-refundable.
I need a direct beach view. I'm willing to pay as much as 350BRL/night. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking of the possibility of staying in Copa. But I want to be across from a part of the beach I can read my book in relative peace. Which means probably not within 4 blocks of HELP.
Perhaps something going towards Leme?
Near Arporador?

Other posssibilities include just going somewhere else, like Natal or Forta. But the thought of coming to Brazil, and not having some time in Rio sorta hurts. And besides, it might be quite fun to check out some of the "games"...

Member #4378
06-01-07, 02:45
Has anyone stayed in this apartment rented by rioapartments

http://www.rioapartments.com/1-40_aluguel_de_imoveis_quarto_e_sala_copacabana/

According to an agent "it is located on Rua Bolivar with AV NS Copacabana, which is right behind the Rio Othon Palace Hotel". Any comments are appeciated. I plan to rent it for 10 days, so wanted to make sure that it is a decent place. Thanks.

Sperto
06-01-07, 06:57
Has anyone stayed in this apartment rented by rioapartments
http://www.rioapartments.com/1-40_aluguel_de_imoveis_quarto_e_sala_copacabana/
According to an agent "it is located on Rua Bolivar with AV NS Copacabana, which is right behind the Rio Othon Palace Hotel". Any comments are appeciated. I plan to rent it for 10 days, so wanted to make sure that it is a decent place. Thanks.
I haven't stayed there, but Rioapartments have a high standard on their apartments and their service is very good and reliable.

RonnyRon
06-01-07, 08:19
Like Sperto I have never stayed in that location, but the agency is very good. Very professional and I recommend them.

RonnyRon

Carlos Primeros
06-02-07, 05:29
I have used their services occasionally.

They delivered what they promised. I recently stayed at an appartement at Av. NS de Copacabana - good, clean, well-kept.

USD 65/night for 7 nights. If I do not stay with friends in Rio I use their services.

Carlos Primeros

Uncle Scrooge
06-04-07, 07:15
I recall reading on this board awhile back if you get a regular room at the Hotel Atlantico Copacabana you have to pay a fee to bring a girl up and if you get a suite jr you don't. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Does the room you book make a difference?

Jan 156
06-04-07, 17:11
I have used their services occasionally.

They delivered what they promised. I recently stayed at an appartement at Av. NS de Copacabana - good, clean, well-kept.

USD 65/night for 7 nights. If I do not stay with friends in Rio I use their services.

Carlos Primeros

Wow! I hope you get a super nice apartment for that. I am paying 45 Reis a night. That includes electric and gas. I have a separate bedroom and living room, kitchenette with accessories, and a balcony that gets the sun in the morning.

Jan 156
06-05-07, 18:24
Someone just PM´d me about the cheap apartment I mentioned. It is a private rent, and I don´t give the details out unless I have met and got to know someone (eg have passed them on to some mongers I have met). The woman who rents this and one or two others has a particular style which needs explaining and also I don´t want to risk blowing it. As an example of what you can get price-wise, it is not that exceptional.

But I recommend Felipe Bandeira (Manager, speaks some English) at Rent a Flat (Barata Ribeiro 207 near the tube, tel 2257 0559). He has a very large number of flats and runs a good business. He will rent you somewhere at only slightly more than I am paying.

But do please look at the flats first. Don´t book over the phone or the Net and then come back and complain to me that it was dingy or had poor lighting or the kitchen was too small. Dump your bags at his office and spend the afternoon looking at flats - his assistant will take you round and show you the ones you select (he´ll show you them on the computer screen in his office first). They are all reasonably maintained and Felipe will fix any problems reasonably promptly in my experience. But find one you like. I would look at maybe four or five before deciding. He is very business like and has been in business for a very long time - you won´t get much room to haggle. But if you let him take an imprint of your credit card (returned when you leave) he may waive the deposit.

If you don´t have a morning arrival, get one of the hotels nearby (or even backpackers - Mellow Yellow is just round the corner, literally) for one night then go round to Rent-A-Flat in the morning. On the NS Copa (south) side of B.Ribeiro. There´s a big sign over the top, you can´t miss it.

Sunset Strip
06-05-07, 20:17
You can see pictures of Rent-a-Flats apartments at:

http://www.rentaflat.com.br/index.php

I have used them before and they did ok. The apartment was nice.

However, the workers did pull some bullshit over the deposit. There was a couch in the living room with a blue cover on it. The cover had caused a ring on the wall behind it. When the worker came to return my deposit he checked behind the couch and then acted surprise about the ring/stain on the wall. Yeah, right!

They also charged me the same amount in utilities that a Brazilian spends in a month although I was there only a week.

I do not fully trust these people.

TJ

Jan 156
06-05-07, 21:10
You can see pictures of Rent-a-Flats apartments at:

http://www.rentaflat.com.br/index.php

I have used them before and they did ok. The apartment was nice.

However, the workers did pull some bullshit over the deposit. There was a couch in the living room with a blue cover on it. The cover had caused a ring on the wall behind it. When the worker came to return my deposit he checked behind the couch and then acted surprise about the ring/stain on the wall. Yeah, right!

They also charged me the same amount in utilities that a Brazilian spends in a month although I was there only a week.

I do not fully trust these people.

TJ

Yeah, I cannot say I have never had problems with them, but the problems have always been corrected. Remember a lot of mistakes are innocent ones or due to sloppiness rather than scams. Better than with other agencies I have used. And there are heaps of them along Barata Ribeiro.

On the utilities thing, it is usually possible to check the meter when they make the readings. Often they have encouraged me to do so.

I don´t recommend them unconditionally or anything, just that as people ask I prefer them perosnally to many other places (used them maybe three or four times and a buddy has used them twice). Now I have a regular landlady I don´t keep up to date on the agencies though.

Sunset Strip
06-06-07, 20:36
Yeah, i hear you Chris...Basically you have to realize that there will be small problems no matter what.
As I said the apartment was nice.

When I check in I DID not check the meter because I was tired ( I flew United and had lots of problems getting there).

I think the guy checking me in noted that I did not check and decided to make some cash on the side. The owner was not there when I checked out.

Plus, I think they thought I was a newbie, which I guess I kind of was since it was only my second time in Rio as an adult.

Here is the apartment I had:
http://www.rentaflat.com.br/detalhes_imovel.php?codigo=1027&negocio=3

TJ

Chris H
06-06-07, 21:04
Would you guys advise that when renting an apartment, to always check the meters? Is it normal to pay for utilites at all the apartment rentals? Never read this before, so just curious for future knowledge.

Chris H

Jan 156
06-06-07, 21:30
I suppose. Easy to forget tho, esp if you´re tired. It´s the air con that is expensive. I basically agree not to use the air con or, if I do, give my landlady something extra since she includes utilities in the price. Most places I have stayed at before have offered an idea of how much the utilities will work out at (ie an advance estimnate). I haven´t personally stayed in any regular ones that didn´t charge utilities separately.

Would you guys advise that when renting an apartment, to always check the meters? Is it normal to pay for utilites at all the apartment rentals? Never read this before, so just curious for future knowledge.

Chris H

Java Man
06-07-07, 00:22
if your stay is a month long or longer, you'll get hit with the utilities bill. I've never paid, at least directly, the utilities bill for stays of 10-14 days. Utilities is Gas and Electric, btw.
It not just the A/C. Check to see if the hot water for your shower is from gas or electric. If it's electric and set to verao, (summer) it will pull a lot of amps. (Depending on the wiring , the lights may dim when it kicks in.)
I've never seen a meter inside an apartment, usually they're in the bowels of the building.
The amounts I've seen are in the R100-R280 for each bill, with electric being the highest. All depends on your usage.

Exec Talent
06-07-07, 00:30
I have rented apartments for several months which include electric. I also have seen the bills. They are very high if the AC is run a lot. Some agencies charge a big premium over what they pay the owners, others, do not. I try to be fair if I am given a good deal on the apartment rental and I have used the AC a lot, or they provide a weekly maid service.

One thing I learned in business a long time ago is if you have a good suplier, you want them to make money so they stay in business.

Off Road
06-07-07, 00:35
As an apartment owner here, I can tell you that my electric bill has never been over r$200, and that is with 3 A/C units, 2 of which were on most of the time during January. Gas is about R$30..
So if you had one A/C unit and Gas, probably about R$100 would be average.
If you have a long term stay.

Exec Talent
06-07-07, 01:59
As an apartment owner here, I can tell you that my electric bill has never been over r$200, and that is with 3 A/C units, 2 of which were on most of the time during January. Gas is about R$30..
So if you had one A/C unit and Gas, probably about R$100 would be average.
If you have a long term stay.

I have seen the electric bills over R$400 for a two-bedroom apartment.

You need to spend more time indoors with a hot woman who wants the AC on all the time! :)

Grinder62
06-07-07, 17:47
I recall reading on this board awhile back if you get a regular room at the Hotel Atlantico Copacabana you have to pay a fee to bring a girl up and if you get a suite jr you don't. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Does the room you book make a difference?I have been staying at the Atlantico since 2003 and there never has been a garota fee no matter which type of room you have. The only situation where you get an additional fee is if you try and bring more than one garota in.

Tango999
06-08-07, 00:25
I'd like to first state that I've scanned through this section, but have not read each and every reports. It appears that most reports are focused on apartments rather than hotels.

I'm planning a trip to Rio in the next couple of weeks. Therefore, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any nice hotels (a good standard. Safe, large rooms, clean, good service, plenty of facilities, good food, etc.) in copa (ideally near help) or ipamena?. Of course girl friendly and ideally not overly expensive?

I was in Rio a couple of years ago and stayed at the Rio Othon Palace. It was a nice hotel, but not very girl friendly. I'm sure some guests were sneaking up some girls that dressed up quite well during the day, but ideally I'd like somewhere of this standard, in a good location but not have to totally sneak girls in. I don't mind being discreet, but cannot be bothered completely tip-toe-ing around. Any suggestions?

Uncle Scrooge
06-10-07, 09:47
I have been staying at the Atlantico since 2003 and there never has been a garota fee no matter which type of room you have. The only situation where you get an additional fee is if you try and bring more than one garota in.Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Tigers787
06-11-07, 08:04
Hello everyone,

I was in RIO in May and unfortunatly i missed the portion in Bubbas report about Marina. What a little lying ***** she was. She maid the worst Argentinian liar in to a SAINT. She promised me everything i asked for in the emails, then when i showed up one lie after another till my last day there. I know some poeple lie because thats how they do bussiness in RIO but her, every word out of her mouth was a big fat lie. So beware and stay away from a headache. I have been talking to Kenn for my November trip and he seems a real nice person to deal with. You can find his info in the Bubba report under apartment rentals.

Be safe out there.

Tiger

Euro100
06-13-07, 01:50
I'm planning a trip to Rio in the next couple of weeks. Therefore, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any nice hotels (a good standard. Safe, large rooms, clean, good service, plenty of facilities, good food, etc.) in copa (ideally near help) or ipamena?. Of course girl friendly and ideally not overly expensive?

Hmmm, you have several mutually contradicting demands. Low price and good facilities do not go well together. Girl-friendly and high-class with good service is also a problem.

I was in Rio a couple of years ago and stayed at the Rio Othon Palace. It was a nice hotel, but not very girl friendly. I'm sure some guests were sneaking up some girls that dressed up quite well during the day, but ideally I'd like somewhere of this standard, in a good location but not have to totally sneak girls in. I don't mind being discreet, but cannot be bothered completely tip-toe-ing around. Any suggestions?

Yup, Othon Palace can be restricitve. Last year I had good success there sneaking up girls. But the hotel I stayed in this time was very girl friendly. (Read my reports I posted yesterday.) It is the Savoy Othon Travel, located in the same block as the Othon Palace, but on Nossa Sen. Copa. I paid $70/day at hotels.com. Easy. The new metro station has opened, and it is only a good two block walk from this hotel.

Perhaps most important for many: there was no fee for bringing up the girls to the room (hence no trace on th efinal hotel bill, if you get my drift.

I recommend this place very much! Will stay there again next tiem.

Member #4378
06-13-07, 19:06
Can anyone comment whether the internet connection in the apartments of "rioapartment" is good or not. Thanks.

Exec Talent
06-13-07, 19:43
Can anyone comment whether the internet connection in the apartments of "rioapartment" is good or not. Thanks.

I have rented from different agents including Rio Apartments and have found internet connectivity good. Some have cable, others, DSL. In fact, overall, renting apartments in Rio has worked out well. People should not accept substandard apartments and service because they are in Rio.

Off Road
06-14-07, 03:49
I have rented from them and always had a good internet connection.
However.. most of the others (Bobby or Kenn) also have internet connections..

Dodger Bulldog
06-18-07, 16:29
No one hesitates to complain when there is a problem, so I think it is just as important to give out a compliment when it is due.

I was very pleased with Kenn at EZ Rio-rentals during my recent visit. He was very professional and helpful.

Start with the fact that he took time to give me some general advice over the phone before I even made the reservation, all of which proved to be spot on.

Then, about two weeks before my arrival he informed me that the electricity in my unit was shut off because the landlord did not pay the bill. He made arrangements for me to stay in a better unit, but still at the original price.

Upon arrival the hot water in the shower did not work. Within a couple hours he had a worker over who resolved the issue.

Plus, I created a problem for myself by locking my keys inside the unit. He was over in a reasonable period of time to let me back in.

I will definitely plan to rent from Kenn when I return, and can highly recommend his services to others.

DB

Abzsafado
06-21-07, 00:32
if your stay is a month long or longer, you'll get hit with the utilities bill. I've never paid, at least directly, the utilities bill for stays of 10-14 days. Utilities is Gas and Electric, btw.

It not just the A/C. Check to see if the hot water for your shower is from gas or electric. If it's electric and set to verao, (summer) it will pull a lot of amps. (Depending on the wiring , the lights may dim when it kicks in.)

I've never seen a meter inside an apartment, usually they're in the bowels of the building.

The amounts I've seen are in the R100-R280 for each bill, with electric being the highest. All depends on your usage.I have rented a lot of apartments in Rio and have only had a problem with a utilities bill once and that was the first time I rented.

Generally speaking the gas and electric are included in the daily rate for a temporada. Unless you have a CPF you will always be renting a temporada. It should be clearly stated on your contract, how much the rent is and what the rental period is and what extras you have to pay. I rented a two bedroom apartment in Lagoa from Maria cristina at belavista-rio.com.br., nice apartment nice lady. A Brasilian woman married to an American and she was educated at an american university, not an ex GDP. She gave an upper limit on the gas and electric of R$250 for the three weeks, the only reason she does this is because she had some guy run up a huge bill by running two a/c units 24/7. At the end of my stay we were below the limit and had nothing to pay.

Always get a contract and read it, decent companies will have it in english and portugese.

Marlboro Red
06-29-07, 00:15
All,

I am thinking of renting an apartment from either

http://www.rioholidays.com
http://www.ez-riorentals.com
http://www.gringomanagement.com

Has anyone been with any off them in the past month of so? With the demise of http://riorentals4less.com/ I want to ensure that I book with the right agent.

The only other think is that I have read some bad reviews from http://www.gringomanagement.com. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Chris H
06-29-07, 19:35
All,

Has anyone been with any off them in the past month of so? With the demise of http://riorentals4less.com/ I want to ensure that I book with the right agent.

The only other think is that I have read some bad reviews from http://www.gringomanagement.com. Does anyone have any experience with them?

What happened to Riorentals4less?? I am suppose to stay in 1 of their apartments next month.

Chris H

Shemp
06-30-07, 06:50
I was in Rio 2 -3 weeks ago & rented a phone from them. They were in the process of clearing out of their location on Djalma Ulrich & John told me they would soon have a new location on Av. N.S. de Copa. At the time I was there he was working mostly out of his apt. I liked renting phones from him because you could also use the computers at his office for free & make free phone calls to the U.S.A. from his office phones. These had all been removed. So it looks a little shaky now, if I had something rented from him for the future I would definitely be checking with him & thinking about a backup plan.

shemp

Springer
06-30-07, 15:08
All,

The only other think is that I have read some bad reviews from http://www.gringomanagement.com. Does anyone have any experience with them?Yes the people who wrote the bad reviews had experience with them!

Carlos Primeros
07-01-07, 06:09
I am wondering if the the hotels are completely booked during the PanAm Games.

Has anybody any specific infromations if there is a shortage of rooms?

Carlos

Sltucke
07-08-07, 16:12
Has anyone used http://www.rioapartments.com/?

How is there service?

Off Road
07-09-07, 03:29

How is there service?
Yes, I have used them. They are excellent. They have a large staff. They do more than rent apartments, have a legal team, brokers, construction and security.

Also use Kenn at ez-riorentals.com

Off Road
07-09-07, 03:30
I am wondering if the the hotels are completely booked during the PanAm Games.

Has anybody any specific infromations if there is a shortage of rooms?

Carlos
I talekd to someone renting, they are not full, but holding to higher prices.. I would guess that this week will be a fire sale, since the games are a few days away.

Sperto
07-09-07, 12:39
How is there service?
Very good!

Amerioca
07-13-07, 06:31
No one hesitates to complain when there is a problem, so I think it is just as important to give out a compliment when it is due.

I was very pleased with Kenn at EZ Rio-rentals during my recent visit. He was very professional and helpful.

Start with the fact that he took time to give me some general advice over the phone before I even made the reservation, all of which proved to be spot on.

Then, about two weeks before my arrival he informed me that the electricity in my unit was shut off because the landlord did not pay the bill. He made arrangements for me to stay in a better unit, but still at the original price.

Upon arrival the hot water in the shower did not work. Within a couple hours he had a worker over who resolved the issue.

Plus, I created a problem for myself by locking my keys inside the unit. He was over in a reasonable period of time to let me back in.

I will definitely plan to rent from Kenn when I return, and can highly recommend his services to others.

DB

Kenn is a good man. Always helpful, whether renting from him or not. He was my first contact in Brasil. For years, I went with others. Yet, he was always there to answer my questions, when needed. Assumed he would become bitter over time, instead, he always remained a gentleman. I only started renting from him in recent times. Very satisfied with his services.

HoleRanger
07-13-07, 12:00
During my stay I used www.copacabanapt4rent.com

My experience was a good one and I will use them again on my next visit. See my post in Rio de Janeiro reports.

Enjoy!

Member #4378
07-24-07, 18:50
During my stay I used www.copacabanapt4rent.com

My experience was a good one and I will use them again on my next visit. See my post in Rio de Janeiro reports.

Enjoy!

HR, Do you know whether there is an internet access in apts?

HoleRanger
07-24-07, 21:34
Dimension, in the unit I had there was no internet access. I used the internet cafe across the street, about a 1 minute walk from door to door.

Upon leaving the owner mentioned he was starting to look at adding internet access, I'am not sure if it has been implemented yet.

If needed, I can give you Franco's email. Don't PM me, I have ongoing issues with my message status/pm link. Not able to view my messages link/status. Still trying to figure out the problem.

Enjoy!

Chris H
07-25-07, 04:46
Just wanted to speak in behalf of RioRentals4less. Great service by the main contact John Thompson and his staff. I did not already have an apartment picked out before I got here, but what I arranged with John was to use his pick up service from the airport, and then him or his staff would show me the apartment choices and take it from there. This worked out great! My apartment was on Domingos Ferris, right next to BOB´s, which by the way, makes a disgusting hamburger. My apt. did not have internet access, but I did have the option to rent one that did in a different building. I know a few guys that used a different agency, and was very happy with there service too, the service is ran by Dale Calloway. If anyone needs there number, just let me know.

Chris H

Junior
07-25-07, 19:30
Hi Guys,

I am going to treat myself to a nice hotel on my upcoming trip. Does anyone know if Copacabana palace is girl-friendly?

Junior

Perkele
07-26-07, 08:35
Hi Guys,

I am going to treat myself to a nice hotel on my upcoming trip. Does anyone know if Copacabana palace is girl-friendly?

Junior

Absolutely. Just be prepared to pay ridiculous amount of money to receptionist and prepare that ho will be kicked out before day shift comes to work.

Not even worth trying.

And one more thing, no negotiating. If you try they´ll probably ask you to leave too.

Athlete
08-14-07, 01:51
I recall reading on this board awhile back if you get a regular room at the Hotel Atlantico Copacabana you have to pay a fee to bring a girl up and if you get a suite jr you don't. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Does the room you book make a difference?Is this the famed hotel Copacabana?

Fun And Sun
08-15-07, 01:46
Chaps,

Planning my next Rio trip, and it being my second time there thought I'd go with an apartment this time.

Have gotten a list of a few good rental agencies to use from the forum and Bubba Boy's and Bwana's guides, and have checked out the websites of these.

Will be staying in a hotel for the first few nights, but then planning to move on to an apartment.

Three questions that I can't seem to figure out by "RTFFing":

1. Should I expect to pay the price listed on the agency's websites, or significantly less, and what should a nice, clean, safe, comfortable but not super luxury one bed room apartment cost me per day for a two week rental? (Approximately)

2. Any helpful hints on negotiating price, what to look out for in the lease and when inspecting the apartments?

3. Usually got "home delivery" from one of the agencies in the afternoon before dinner on my last trip, do apartments ever come with a landline phone, or will I need to get a cellphone in Rio?

Fun and Sun

Euro100
08-16-07, 02:22
Is this the famed hotel Copacabana?

Nope, the famed one is the Copacabana Palace.

Rio Bob
08-16-07, 15:20
Chaps,

Planning my next Rio trip, and it being my second time there thought I'd go with an apartment this time.

Have gotten a list of a few good rental agencies to use from the forum and Bubba Boy's and Bwana's guides, and have checked out the websites of these.

Will be staying in a hotel for the first few nights, but then planning to move on to an apartment.

1. Should I expect to pay the price listed on the agency's websites, or significantly less, and what should a nice, clean, safe, comfortable but not super luxury one bed room apartment cost me per day for a two week rental? (Approximately)

2. Any helpful hints on negotiating price, what to look out for in the lease and when inspecting the apartments?

3. Usually got "home delivery" from one of the agencies in the afternoon before dinner on my last trip, do apartments ever come with a landline phone, or will I need to get a cellphone in Rio?

Fun and Sun

I would say that 50 - 55 dollars a day would be a good price for a 1 bedroom apt in Copa close to the beach, especially during off season.

BlkPanther
08-16-07, 21:54
I'm looking to book a hotel close to the action on the beach. Can anyone tell me if either of these hotels are "chica" friendly and if they charge per female visitor?: California Othon, Rio Copa, or the Copacabana Praia

Fun And Sun
08-17-07, 01:07
Many thanks again, RioBob. One more quick query if you don't mind, should I expect to drive a hard bargain with the agencies list price (like try to get them to chop of 50%) or is it more like accepting the list price less a token price reduction of something like 10%?

Fun and Sun

Brazil Specialist
08-24-07, 11:03
I'm looking to book a hotel close to the action on the beach. Can anyone tell me if either of these hotels are "chica" friendly and if they charge per female visitor?: California Othon, Rio Copa, or the Copacabana Praia

It is safest if you stick to hotels that are tried and recommended by fellow mongers. Why are you choosing these?

Occasionally, I do people a favor and call hotels for them, to find out. I remember calling the California Othon, they charge at least 100 R$ per visitor with the explicit purpose to discourage female visits. I think they also have rules about the hours you can have visitors.

The other two hotels, I believe, are not at the beach. Rio Copa must be an abbreviation, what is the true name?

If you have a very pressing reason to use these hotels, give me address and phone number and I call. If not, pick something else.

The Luxor Regente http://www.luxor-hotels.com/regente/portugues/index.asp has been tried before and used to be girl friendly. But don't take my word, to be totally sure someone either needs to call or confirm that he has been there last month and all was ok.

Not sure about the other Luxor, the Luxor Copacabana.

Almost everyone I know raves about the http://www.promenade.com.br/ing_princess_copa/index.asp Princess Promenade, but it is 2 blocks from the beach.

Brazil Specialist
08-24-07, 11:42
Chaps,

sure, there are a few reputable agencies

Decio is a friend of mine. Has excellent low prices. But I haven't talked to him in a long time, need to confirm he still is working
www.telefonema.net

I know these personally and they have good stuff for mongers. Still, tell them your plans so they put you up in a place where you don't get flak by the other apartment residents.
Kenn http://ez-riorentals.com/
Bobby http//www.blameitonrio4travel.com/

the following seems ok too
www.gringomanagement.com

Well know site: www.ipanema.com

don't know this one
http://www.globecondos.com/where.php?id=51
http://www.rentinrio.com/
http://rioapartmentrental.com/script/home.asp

Thas is, of course, a foolproof strategy. You know what you are getting, and you can haggle the price.

Mostly advantages.

Disadvantages: you pay an expensive hotel for a few days, will be wasting some time searching for hotels. If you pick the wrong hotel, you will not have much fun the first days

I myself live 2 blocks from Help, one block from the beach and rent 2 suites inside my apartment.

Advantage: great internet access, land line, cell phone, US phone line, great aircon, big varanda, personal advice by the resident monger (me). Safer then the average apartment because I strictly impose certain safety rules.

Disadvantage: it is sort of a rommmate situation, I live here too. But you have own room and own bath room.

If you stay here for the first few days, I can help you out a little. If you do your hotel stay first, make sure you stop over to check out my rooms.

And if you decide to stay elsewhere, no problem. I am not on these sites for the sole purpose of renting some rooms, but because I share an important interest with all you guys. So feel free to stop over anyway to say hi and discuss a very important issue: girls

I also have internet access via cell phone, I can rent one lone modem with unlimited access for people who have a laptop and stay in other apartments. No big business, it is my own modem that I use when out of town, and I have to pay the darn fee all year long even though I use it only occasionally.

If you are not a Senior member, I believe you cannot exchange personal messages with me. You might not be able to receive messages from me. Is that true?

I personally don't rent apartments in Rio, nor use hotels. So all I know is hearsay. I can just give you some advice who to talk to.

If you stay over a month, real big discounts can be found, if you look in the right places. Two weeks still is pretty much standard pricing.

That is a serious problem. I used to rent landline phones, but people were not interested. Cell phones are often included in the apartment price, but you still pay way over R$1 per minute outgoing (and if it is incoming, someone else pays that exorbitant fee). In practice, incoming calls are collect, so you pay for that too. So an agency order costs you R$ 20 in phone fees, and many agencies don't send girls to strangers without a land line

Brazil Specialist
08-24-07, 19:26

From what I hear from other people is that often internet access at apartments is troublesome. People don't set it up right, or don't care if it doesn't work. Or they don't know the login password.

This is not specific to this or any agency. Just an observation from talking to desperate people whose internet did not work

And an opportunity to tout the suites at my apartment. I use the internet access myself, so if it doesn't work I get it fixed instantly. And I have emergency dialup or cell phone modem internet access.

By the way, hotel internet access is always shared, also not too good. If your access at your private apartment works, then usually it is quite good.

Rio Bob
08-26-07, 18:48
Has anyone been inside the new Fasano hotel in Ipanema???

Not yet it just opened August 14 but they had been building this hotel for years, a Philippe Starck designed hotel. I saw the plans of the hotel, looks like a chic boutique type south Beach style. Doesn't look like the type that will accept monger behavior with open arms but I may stop there for a drink come next trip. Daily rate looks like 945 reais, got better things to do with my money in Rio than give it to them.

Bobby Blame It
08-30-07, 13:21
Hello to all.

I just want to say thank you to all the guys who supported me during all the false rumors about me and Blame it on Rio Travel, 2 months ago. We are still in business and expanding while the other agencies are closing around me. All the rumors that Blame it on Rio Travel was closed were just that. We are still open and here for you guys. Open 7 days a week. Please come by and see for yourself with your own eyes that we are still here and doing fine.

I have some new news to tell. Not only are we still here, but also we just expanded with the newest Laundromat in Rio. Rio's New Tech Lavanderia, Wash and Dry by the Kilo. We will use Tide, Bounce and Shout to clean. It is located right next door to Blame it on Rio Travel on Rua Xaviera da Silveira, 15 Loja C, Copacabana. Stop by and see my new beautiful clean Laundromat. You will see the newest imported machines in Rio. They clean 99% better then the old convientional washer/dryers. Come and see for yourself.

Squash the bad rumors and start to tell the truth, we are here and expanding. By the way EZ RIO RENTALS LTDA, www.ezriorentals.com is now offically part of Blame it on Rio Travel, www.blameitonriotravel.com. Located Rua Xaviera da Silveira, 15 Loja B, Copacabana. We are a registered company with the Junta Commercial in Rio De Janiero. We are legit.

2 months ago everybody had me down and out, come by and see for yourself I am not down and out just doing better then ever. All the false rumors just made me stronger.

All the best and once again thank you to all the guys that believed in me when some others did not.

See you in Rio. Send me an email to say hello ! ! !

Bobby R Frischman

(still alive and kicking in Rio)

Bubba Boy
08-31-07, 06:06
Kenn is http://ez-riorentals.com/ , bobbies website www.ezriorentals.com is suspiciously close but is not the same company. I like bobby but do not agree that it is fair to regsiter this domain so close to Kenn's. Kenn is, in my opinion the best apartment guy for tourists in Rio. Bobby is not at the same standard.

Edward M
08-31-07, 19:21
Kenn is http://ez-riorentals.com/ , bobbies website www.ezriorentals.com is suspiciously close but is not the same company. I like bobby but do not agree that it is fair to regsiter this domain so close to Kenn's. Kenn is, in my opinion the best apartment guy for tourists in Rio. Bobby is not at the same standard.Thanks for pointing this out.

Trippleecks
09-01-07, 11:43
Bobby Blame It.... if your business is doing so well, why did you change it's name, Legal problems? Also why did you have to pirate Kenn's... www.ez-riorentals.com ... web address? I agree with Bubba Boy about Kenn being the best rental agent in Rio. If I were Kenn, I would sue your dumb ass. My guess is that either you are full of Sh_t, or you're not doing as well as you say you are.. The Laundromat is in what, 60-80 sq ft. ? That's no Laundromat that’s a joke. Desperation can lead to some really bizarre decisions.

Llantarnam
09-01-07, 20:13
Anyone know the best web site to get good value on hotel bookings in Rio?

Delaware Guy
09-02-07, 16:29
Anyone know the best web site to get good value on hotel bookings in Rio?I use http://www.kayak.com/ for hotels and airfares. You can have daily updates sent to you with your preferred dates and cities. Kind of like Travelocity used to do but for some incomprehensible reason stopped doing for cities outside of the US and Canada.

Junior
09-02-07, 18:46
Hi Everybody,

I will be back in Rio in December for three weeks. This time I will rent an apartment.

How much should I expect to pay for a high quality 1 or 2 bedroom apartment with very good facilities?

Also who is the best apartment company to use? Kenn seems to get good reviews - is he the best choice?

Junior

Trippleecks
09-02-07, 21:36
in my opinion Ken is the best....

www.ez-riorentals.com

Sperto
09-02-07, 22:56
in my opinion Ken is the best....
www.ez-riorentals.com
Nodd_N, I'm being curious as always, are you Kenn?

Java Man
09-03-07, 10:34
Apparently the apartment rental business in Rio is cutthroat. All that's missing is the gunplay. It's more evident now that it's low season. The sinking dollar also isn't helping these guys. When I saw Bobby's post I thought they had merged their businesses. (When times are tough, it's best to circle the wagons, no?) All those rumors and potshots posted here is just BAD for business.
Me? I no longer use their services. I've been going to Rio long enough, that I'm able to avoid the middleman and go straight to the source. (I do not need to be 5 min from the beach nor Help.)
Best of luck to the both of you.

Trippleecks
09-03-07, 12:09
Nodd_N, I'm being curious as always, are you Kenn?

No I'm not, but thanks for asking........

Perkele
09-03-07, 12:14
Apparently the apartment rental business in Rio is cutthroat. All that's missing is the gunplay. It's more evident now that it's low season. The sinking dollar also isn't helping these guys. When I saw Bobby's post I thought they had merged their businesses. (When times are tough, it's best to circle the wagons, no?) All those rumors and potshots posted here is just BAD for business.
Me? I no longer use their services. I've been going to Rio long enough, that I'm able to avoid the middleman and go straight to the source. (I do not need to be 5 min from the beach nor Help.)
Best of luck to the both of you.

I totally agree.

These foreign agencies are too expensive. I just found a brasilian guy who rents an apartment a lot cheaper than any of the foreign agencies. I think that instead of paying US 1700 or EUR 1700 for a month I ended up paying RS 1700. Well the place is for my brother, since I already live in Brasil.

If you know where to look, its easy to find reasonably priced temporary apartments in Rio. I will ask my brother where he found the info...

Llantarnam
09-03-07, 19:25
Anyone know the best web site to get good value on hotel bookings in Rio?Anyone ever used 'rio-de-janeiro-hotels.net'. Their rates look ok.

Bubba Boy
09-05-07, 19:07
I totally agree.

These foreign agencies are too expensive. I just found a brasilian guy who rents an apartment a lot cheaper than any of the foreign agencies. I think that instead of paying US 1700 or EUR 1700 for a month I ended up paying RS 1700. Well the place is for my brother, since I already live in Brasil.

If you know where to look, its easy to find reasonably priced temporary apartments in Rio. I will ask my brother where he found the info...

I agree with this, all the expat agencies are very expensive, once on the ground one can find an equal apartment for much less, maybe 30%-40% less.

Gladiator
09-08-07, 00:18
Kenn is http://ez-riorentals.com/ , bobbies website www.ezriorentals.com is suspiciously close but is not the same company. I like bobby but do not agree that it is fair to regsiter this domain so close to Kenn's. Kenn is, in my opinion the best apartment guy for tourists in Rio. Bobby is not at the same standard.

As someone said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and in that sense Ken should feel flattered by Bob’s drunken and naïve attempt at desperately catching some of his customers.

Lonzof
09-09-07, 04:37
Does anyone have any experience with renting this apartment located near post 8 rioloungesix.com.

Ryjerrob
09-09-07, 06:11
Here's a place that I used for a few weeks back in May. I know it was low season, but it had everything I wanted. The one drawback might me the street noise from the traffic early in the morning. After going to bed at 5 or 6, I slept through mostly everything. The prices are on the site. I found it on Craigslist. The rental belongs to a local, not an expat.

http://www.my-apartment-in-rio.com/

ryjer

Rio Bob
09-09-07, 18:24
Here's a place that I used for a few weeks back in May. I know it was low season, but it had everything I wanted. The one drawback might me the street noise from the traffic early in the morning. After going to bed at 5 or 6, I slept through mostly everything. The prices are on the site. I found it on Craigslist. The rental belongs to a local, not an expat.

ryjer

Nice apartment but not any cheaper than I rent from one of the gringo websites plus mine is closer to the beach and less noise with no security deposit just a one day deposit. The apartment I rent is very clean, very secure, very quiet and not many rentals in the building mostly residents.

Ryjerrob
09-09-07, 21:58
Nice apartment but not any cheaper than I rent from one of the gringo websites plus mine is closer to the beach and less noise with no security deposit just a one day deposit. The apartment I rent is very clean, very secure, very quiet and not many rentals in the building mostly residents.

Bob,

Who do you rent from? I'm always looking to try something new. I'm trying to finalize my arrangements for this December.

Ryjer

Rio Bob
09-10-07, 02:54
Bob,

Who do you rent from? I'm always looking to try something new. I'm trying to finalize my arrangements for this December.

Ryjer

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2478

Negotiate Negotiate Negotiate

Lonzof
09-11-07, 04:10

ryjer
Thanks Ryjerbob,

Appreciate the link since I looking to try something. The condo that normally rent is occupied during my planned stay..

Magic2000
09-17-07, 15:28
Has anyone used copaapartments.com recently? I am just about to rent an apartment from them for 2 weeks so I wanted to make sure that they are ok and won't (hopefully) steal my advance deposit!

Any experiences with them would be great.

Thanks Magic

Sunset Strip
09-21-07, 21:04
Is Blame it on Rio 4 travel still operating?

And has anybody stayed in apartment #1 on their webpage (rua Bolivar)?
If so, when, and how much did you pay?

thanks,
TJ

Tercar 66
09-23-07, 11:28
I have finaly got my Tickets sorted out along with my friend from Dubai to visit Brazil on a mongering trip in mid October. I wanted to stay for a day in Sao as it will be a 15 hrs flight and remaining 4 nights in Rio.
1. Do they rent out 2 bedroom apts for 4 nights or I have to stay in a hotel for that short period?
2. Can I make a booking on the net and then pay on arrival?

El Greco
09-23-07, 17:09
I have finaly got my Tickets sorted out along with my friend from Dubai to visit Brazil on a mongering trip in mid October. I wanted to stay for a day in Sao as it will be a 15 hrs flight and remaining 4 nights in Rio.
1. Do they rent out 2 bedroom apts for 4 nights or I have to stay in a hotel for that short period?
2. Can I make a booking on the net and then pay on arrival?

Try www.accorhotels.com

As far as I know you can cancel the reservation up to 18:00 hrs of the day of your arrival with no penalty whatsoever.

Book with them one night and as soon you are there and certain for the remaining nights book the no cancellation/no refund option. It is much cheaper. They all provide free lan internet and are girl friendly.

I am carrently using them in Bangkok and you get instand confirmation by email and SMS too.

Meu dos centavos

El Greco

Lonzof
09-23-07, 21:55
For an apartment for 2008 trip. Does anyone have any details on loungesix? Listed by multiple people with prices all over the place. Any info would be appreciated.

Tercar 66
09-24-07, 11:47
Thanks for the info. I have got PM's discouraging me to take an apt for 4 night in Rio . Seems difficult, the only option I can see is Princess Copacabana. I called them and asked for a 2 bedroom suite, since we are 2 of us. The price was higher compared to that on the net. Any there any other cheaper GF hotels near help disco as I prefer to pick up babes from there.

Try www.accorhotels.com

As far as I know you can cancel the reservation up to 18:00 hrs of the day of your arrival with no penalty whatsoever.

Book with them one night and as soon you are there and certain for the remaining nights book the no cancellation/no refund option. It is much cheaper. They all provide free lan internet and are girl friendly.

I am carrently using them in Bangkok and you get instand confirmation by email and SMS too.

Meu dos centavos

El Greco

Member #4378
09-24-07, 18:35
Thanks for the info. I have got PM's discouraging me to take an apt for 4 night in Rio . Seems difficult, the only option I can see is Princess Copacabana. I called them and asked for a 2 bedroom suite, since we are 2 of us. The price was higher compared to that on the net. Any there any other cheaper GF hotels near help disco as I prefer to pick up babes from there.

Try Rio Roiss.

You can find an apartment even for a few days. You need to do that when you are there. You can try, e.g., Bobby (blameitonrio). His office next to Rio Roiss. You can stop by his office when you are there and see if he has any vacant apartments for 3-4 days. Or call him (he is slow responding emails). If he has a vacant apt., you can negotiate and get a good deal. I stayed in 3 bedroom apt. for 100$ per night. I didnt like the studio he was offerring. As usual, make sure you check everything before renting the apt. since you will be paying in advance. In my case, Bobby hold me an apartment without advance payment, though it wasnt guaranteed. Bobby is not one of the best in the bussiness, but he tries hard.

Rock Harders
09-24-07, 23:38
Lonzof-
I stayed in loungesix the about three weeks ago (the first weekend in September) and you can read all about my experience under the Gringo Management thread. I paid $250 USD per night for a total of four nights and was very satisfied with the experience.
Suerte,
Rock Harders

Lonzof
09-25-07, 03:52
Lonzof-
I stayed in loungesix the about three weeks ago (the first weekend in September) and you can read all about my experience under the Gringo Management thread. I paid $250 USD per night for a total of four nights and was very satisfied with the experience.
Suerte,
Rock Harders

Hey thanks Rock Harders.

Lonzof

Jakemogg
10-01-07, 13:44
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the Rio Internacional since the management change. The place looks pretty cool now, but I wonder if the $R100 guest fee still stands, or did they do away with it altogether?

Any info is appreciated!

Jake

Java Man
10-01-07, 22:16
Contrary to rumor, Blame it on Rio 4 Travels' Copa office is not closed. As Bobby posted earlier, they have a new Laundromat next door.
Also contrary to rumor, Bobby has not returned to NYC, he's still in Copa.

Pipe Layer99
10-03-07, 05:35
My last trip I stayed 4 nights at Atlantico hotel, before moving to an apt. The hotel is nice, clean and very important - girl friendly. Took three girls ther and only showed 1 ID. Thats because I stopped at the desk with the girl, otherwise we culd have just kept on walking I did with the other two.

Apt - I use Bobby from blameitonrio4travel

He gives a decent rate on the aptartments and they are close to the action -MP, TA and Help.

You can also change money with him, use his phone, internet, ask questions and get help/information when needed. He also has some brand new washers and dyrers next door so you can clean your clother there too.

The customer service is a big plus for me. So if you need a place to stay during your upcoming trips, I recommend that you call or email Bobby. To call from the US dial 1-917-254-4867 or 1-310-598-7544.
For email use: bobby at blameitonrio4travel dot com

Tercar 66
10-06-07, 09:47
I have the following hotel options . Which of these are Girl friendly.
1. Lancaster Othon
2.Savoy Othon
3.Paysandu
4.Ducasse
5.Astoria Copacabana
6.Rio Presindente
7. Centre

Myc Traveler 2
10-06-07, 13:44
My work is paying for the hotel for a week. Any recommendations on either the Caesar Palace or Fasaon? Are either girl friendly? Which would be closer to the action?

I have looked (RFF), but dont see a list of girl friendly hotels. Is one available?

Thanks!

Lorenzo
10-06-07, 18:08
My work is paying for the hotel for a week. Any recommendations on either the Caesar Palace or Fasaon? Are either girl friendly? Which would be closer to the action?

I have looked (RFF), but dont see a list of girl friendly hotels. Is one available?

Thanks!
I stayed at Caesar Palace once. It is a 5-star hotel, definitely world class, and in Ipanema. I had no trouble bringing a girl up to my room, although it was in the daytime. I had her meet me in the bar, then we nonchalantly took the elevator up to the room. Nobody said a word.

I think you might have more of a problem at night. Like all 5-star hotels, they have a reputation to maintain. Consequently, they will never let a girl in if she looks like an obvious prostitute. Always bring in a girl who is "respectable" and "normal" looking. Also, reserve the room for 2. Then, when you bring her in, have her register with reception if anybody says anything. There shouldn't be a charge.

L

Rio Bob
10-06-07, 19:40

Thanks!

While we all might not possess Lorenzo's ability to sneak girls in 5 star hotels, I would not choose either hotel based upon his abilities. You could find security at your door and an embarrassing situation with your company. My guess is that both of your choices here are not girl friendly. If these were your only choices then I would pick the Fasano because it is new and hip but that's it. If your company is going to pay for it then the Fasano is probably going to be in the range of $450 to $650 a night depending on the view for a standard room and even more for a suite, at these numbers you can expect not to see Sperto or myself there.

My only suggestion if you want to combine girl friendly and 5 star is The Marriott Hotel in Copacabana as there are many reports here of members bringing girls in the room and I have even met girls at their bar on occasion.

The Fasano is more closer to Arpoador which might be closer to Copacabana than Ceasar Park but not really much difference, by taxi 2 minutes difference but if you are walking then the Fasano is right next door to Copa as far as Ipanema is concerned.

Sperto
10-06-07, 20:49
If your company is going to pay for it then the Fasano is probably going to be in the range of $450 to $650 a night depending on the view for a standard room and even more for a suite, at these numbers you can expect not to see Sperto or myself there.
You're so funny! :D

Exec Talent
10-06-07, 21:23
My only suggestion if you want to combine girl friendly and 5 star is The Marriott Hotel in Copacabana as there are many reports here of members bringing girls in the room and I have even met girls at their bar on occasion.

When Rio Bob and I agree about something, I would suggest you run, not walk to book your hotel. The Marriott is a good choice in terms of location, quality of accommodations and girl friendliness.

Off Road
10-06-07, 21:23
I would concur JW Marriott best bet. Corporate rate for me a few years ago was $100 a night. Girl friendly. Fairly close to the action.

Voyajer1
10-07-07, 23:03
Isn't the Lancaster Othon girl friendly at all? Anyone ever been there? Would they allow visitors (1, 2, 3, girls, etc...) I will be there in a few weeks, and I will like to know what my options are. Any information will be useful. Thank you, gentlemen.

I have the following hotel options . Which of these are Girl friendly.
1. Lancaster Othon
2.Savoy Othon
3.Paysandu
4.Ducasse
5.Astoria Copacabana
6.Rio Presindente
7. Centre

Lorenzo
10-08-07, 01:06
While we all might not possess Lorenzo's ability to sneak girls in 5 star hotels.............

Not to split hairs, but is "sneak" really the right word? I used to think so, but it occurred to me a while back that if you make your advance hotel reservation for two people--price is the same for one or two--then there is no need to sneak at all. Just bring her in and register her as the second guest. Then register someone else the next night, and so on. At least this is the policy at the Sheraton, which doesn't care who you bring in as long as she registers and they know who she is. Admittedly, I haven't tried this anywhere else, but I think my logic is sound.

One more point: this is the first time I EVER recall Rio Bob recommending a hotel. Usually he is adamant on the superiority of apartments to hotels. And it is equally rare that he and Exec Talent agree on anything. So the Marriott must really be good. I'll make a point of staying there the next time I visit Rio, which will be when the exchange rate returns to something I can live with. :rolleyes:

L

The Watcher
10-08-07, 10:24
Not to split hairs, but is "sneak" really the right word? I used to think so, but it occurred to me a while back that if you make your advance hotel reservation for two people--price is the same for one or two--then there is no need to sneak at all. Just bring her in and register her as the second guest. Then register someone else the next night, and so on. At least this is the policy at the Sheraton, which doesn't care who you bring in as long as she registers and they know who she is. Admittedly, I haven't tried this anywhere else, but I think my logic is sound.

L

Two years ago, Acapulco Copacabana did not accept that logic. At that time, you could only bring in the girl that you registered at the time that you registered. They would not even let you register and then register a girl later.

Rio Bob
10-08-07, 15:40

One more point: this is the first time I EVER recall Rio Bob recommending a hotel. Usually he is adamant on the superiority of apartments to hotels. And it is equally rare that he and Exec Talent agree on anything. So the Marriott must really be good. I'll make a point of staying there the next time I visit Rio, which will be when the exchange rate returns to something I can live with. :rolleyes:

L

There are some 5 star hotels that if you book as a quadruple they still won't let you bring a girl in. The Sheraton is girl friendly just as long as you register her so that’s not sneaking anybody in. I doubt the Caesar Park would let you bring a girl in even if you register her, so yes that is sneaking a girl in.

At $650 a day the Fasano is not going to want 1 real a minute girls in their lobby waiting to register to go up to a room, not going to happen. For some reason the Marriott still allows you to bring in guests, I guess they have been lucky and haven’t experienced too many problems with them but it could be someday they may stop as there is a high risk that a problem could occur.

I recommended a hotel because the poster was asking for a hotel because his company is paying for it. Makes no sense to stay in an apartment if you can get a 5 star hotel that is girl friendly for free.

When I first started going to Rio I stayed in non girl friendly hotels like The Rio Palace(Sofitel), Othon Palace, Sheraton, Intercontinental. They were all not girl friendly but I had brought girls in and it was a pain in the neck, even once in The Rio Palace I did get past the security at the front desk and about 45 minutes later in my room I was about to insert and security knocked on the door. I asked them how they found me, they told me through the cameras in the hallways. Then I started to stay in 4 star hotels like The Luxor Regente and when the dollar was getting stronger I could get their front room with a beach view for $65 a day but then they started raising prices so I moved to the Debret and they were fine for a while until they made an overcharge on my bill for $75 and I was tired of all the taxes and overcharges and girl charges so since 2003 I have been using apartments. But I’m not adamant about an apartment versus a hotel, it's just where I stay now. Believe me when I moved to use apartments I didn't want to move as I was skeptical about these apartments, about their cleanliness, safety and the comforts of home. I do prefer hotels normally but by using gringomanagement he has made it easy for me to sample different apartments and I have found an apartment that is clean, quiet and safe in a building that is nondescript with no mongers in it just normal everyday people who live in Rio. I now prefer these apartments not only because they are economical but because you have the freedom to come and go as you please and that's priceless.

Euro100
10-08-07, 22:58
here is my newest hotel recommendation: premier copacabana. it is half a block away from l'uomo, and right across the street from the siqueira campos metro entrance. so it is basically at ground zero for the termas scene. (take the metro from here to uruguiana station for r2.35, and you have walking access to the centro termas.)

the price was about $75/night on hotels.com. the place is 15 stories high, with 6 rooms on every floor. nice big bed, with all of the switches for ac, tv, lights right next to you. great keyless safe in the room, with a combination that you program yourself. nice bathroom with lots of granite and spacious shower with tons of hot water. hairdryer. well-stocked mini-bar. obviously no beach view, though. no pool, either. inviting foyer and hallways. clean room. nice place. very decent breakfast buffet with hot items (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages), cold-cuts, fruit, and juices included.

getting girls to your room is easy. no-hassle registration when you bring her in, and a r40 "day-use fee" is added to your bill. if you pre-pay through hotels.com, like i did, then the hotels.com bill is your official one, and you only have to pay for the extras on a separate bill. so the day-use fee never shows up on what you hand in to your company, which is a definite plus.

people at the reception speak very decent english, day and night shifts. free wireless high-speed (i clocked up to 120 kb/s) internet everywhere, without any of the ports being blocked (which means that you can use skype, for example, to make all of your international phone calls).

good for those evening flights to the usa: late checkout until 2 pm is free. but you can extend for up to 4 hours until 6 pm on the day of your departure for an extra r35. (during that time i brought a girl in, btw, and they did not charge me the separate day-use fee for her).

i am attaching a shot from maps.google to show where the hotel is.

Sperto
10-09-07, 07:58
Sperto,
If you have access to all of these cheap apartments, why don't you share some of the wealth with this board. Everyone is looking for nice economical places to stay.
Let's see some pictures and contact information. How about some specifics?
Dave
Yes, I'm sure you would like some further information. Who knows the apto's might even turn up on your site? ;)

You work with aptos in Rio and you know just as well as me (propably much better) that finding apto's (1 or 2 bedrooms) at R$ 1200-1800/month isn't difficult. I'm not talking about cockroach apto's down at Prado Junior or apto's facing the entrance of a favela or a brickwall. Neither am I talking about apto's on Av Atlântica.

I'm talking about apto's between Rua Barão de Ipanema-Posto Seis, located between N S Copacabana and Av Atlântica. Nice, clean, wellfurnished apto's with AC, cabel-TV, stereo, safe etc.

Copacabana is one of the most densely populated areas in the world (at least according to the cariocas). There are shitloads of apto's for rent. I've my contactlist of apto owners who always provides me with good service and are happy to have me as a customer. They normally rent out their apto's to paulistas or gauchos. Not to gringos. They are not interested in having gringos bringing trashy Help-girls to their apto's disturbing the neighbours. I'm a gringo and I bring girls to the apto's, yes I do, but I do it discretely and well mannered.

It's not in the apto owners interest that I share their contact info here. Neither in my interest. Who knows, if I did they might just tell me the next time that "Sorry Sperto, your favourite apto is occupied by Rio-Bob and he pays more than twice as much as you did."

All of my buddies who goes regularly to Rio have their contacts. In March one of my friends had a nice apto which cost him R$ 850/month. Great for him. I don't ask for the phonenumber to the apto owner. We respect each others contacts as we often stay in Rio during the same time-period.

You provide a service for mainly foreigners. The majority of your customers might have no knowledge of Brazil and you help them out with apto's. Excellent! Some of your customers are propably repeated customers who likes your service and don't mind your prices. They propably think it's peanuts compared to what a hotel would cost them and compared to what they are paying the girls at Help. Great! Good luck with your business.

Some pictures and maybe some receipts to prove my saying? Nope. Sorry, I've nothing to prove here. I couldn't care less. What others pay for their apto, their girls, their chopp or their beach-chair is their business. I might be cheap. I even bring my own beach-chair to the beach (partly because of hygienic reasons). :D

Trippleecks
10-09-07, 12:48
Sperto, You crack me up.. You say you can find a 2 bedroom apartment on Av. Atlantica for 1,800 reais a month..
You might be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere in Copa for 1,200-1,800 reais a month, but please................. don't [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) on my leg and try and tell me it's raining.

Sperto
10-09-07, 13:05
Sperto, You crack me up.. You say you can find a 2 bedroom apartment on Av. Atlantica for 1,800 reais a month..
You might be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere in Copa for 1,200-1,800 reais a month, but please................. don't [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) on my leg and try and tell me it's raining.
No, I don't have the habit on pissing on peoples legs, although I did it once in the carnaval in Salvador. The poor guy was lying drunk on the beach right where everybody was pissing. I got distracted by some local black bunda and the accident just happened. Maybe that's another story...

I wish the best luck to www.ez-riorentals.com as well.

Jan 156
10-09-07, 15:22
I don't need a 2-bed but Sperto's quote is about what I'd expect to pay, and he knows his way around better than I do so he'd probably get it for less. If you cultivate your contacts you get better prices than if you go to the agencies cos the people who just have one or two apartments for rent are small operations, don't have the overheads, and need the business. They often do it cheap cos they know you. (And you know them, and any little strings like watering plants, or not having the air-con up full when they've thrown electric in for nothing.) A friend has offered me a free apartment while his relative's out of town. Go figure. Of course, if you p*ss on your own patch by advertising them on public boards your own rates are going to rocket. That's not mean. If you want some bunda, I'll point you in the right direction - I won't say, 'have mine'.

I still sometimes try to help people get the cheapest possible agency apartments, and these are still dirt cheap. Only if I've gone out on the p*ss with people and they are in the same social circles I might pass on personal contacts, same as anyone would.

If you don't have mates in Rio that rent apartments, the advice is easy. Get a room for one night. Spend the rest of the next day *looking at* (ie visiting) apartments and take the best deal. (It will be better than anything you can book unseen.) Then just keep your ears open.

AZN Monger
10-14-07, 15:27
Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
Avenida Niemeyer 121 - Leblon, Rio de Janeiro 22450-220 Brazil
T: (55)(21) 2274 1122

Is this the girl friendly hotel people are referring to as the Sheraton in Rio?

Rss910
10-14-07, 16:07
Has anyone used Rioflats4u.com? Is it legit?

Lorenzo
10-14-07, 19:42

Yes, but the girl needs to register.

Rss910
10-15-07, 05:36
Will be in Rio this Thursday. Would like to rent an apt for 3 days. Suggestions please!

I made mistake and was lazy.

Junior
10-15-07, 09:29

I have had many visits when staying at this hotel. During the day it is easy while at night they do ask the girl to register.

Exec Talent
10-15-07, 17:23
During my morning stroll I happened to pass Bobby's place and stopped in for a brief chat. The laundry is up and running (very nice equipment) and Bobby is looking better than I have seen him look in years.

Seems that the rumors were just that.

Bizzie
10-17-07, 03:33
Hey guys,
Any word on Princess Copacbana GF status?
In general its easier for me to stay at a 'hotel' for appearance sake than an apartment but if this hotel sucks then I'll cancel the reservations.

Sperto
10-17-07, 08:10
Interesting how you first attack when I mention Kenn and then you advertise for him, very easy to see who you are working for and who is behind all this negativity on this board about other options. You lied, you said you don’t know any Kenn and then you post his website..
My god! Rio Babaca, I really feel a pity for you. Not only being a loser you're also very slow and as always totally wrong in your conclusions.

I've told you before, instead of filling the forum with your ridiculous personal attacks on me you better PM them to me. I have this nice button that says "Delete this message".

If you had taken your time to read more you would have seen that I told Gringoman:

Good luck with your business.
Then I also wished the same to EZ-Riorentals:

I wish the best luck to www.ez-riorentals.com as well.

I know neither of them. It's propably a tough business for them with the dollar falling and fewer tourists, so I wish them good luck.

There is only one agency I know well and therefore the only one I can recommend. I don't use their services but I know them very well anyway. They are very service-minded and absolutely reliable, that is www.rioapartments.com.

Sperto
10-17-07, 21:04
Interesting to see that now have you removed your post that you wrote earlier today. The post in where you were attacking and falsely accusing me. This removal of your posts have occured quite often lately.

I see that as a sign of you being ashamed of what you have written earlier. That's a good sign. There is still hope for you, Rio Bob.

It Travel
10-19-07, 11:21
I have had many visits when staying at this hotel. During the day it is easy while at night they do ask the girl to register.

I was there some times too... It's very friendly in the day. too much people.

And if you take the escalator downstairs (nobody will hassle you) and then take the elevator to your room... simple and practical.

Remember that unregistered girls can take away all you have when you are showering.... :(

IT

It Travel
10-19-07, 11:59
it’s at 2240 on av atlantica copacabana. a nice place… a little bit run down, south american, but not bad at all, but take sea view rooms. good bathrobe, safe (at 3.50 r$ per day) only for small items, no lap top, medium level breakfast, ugly restaurant. normal stocked mini bar with water, soft drinks and beer, if you want more do self catering. air conditioning but only single glass and old windows (some noise from av. atlantica). by the way it’s just 7-8 minutes walk from meia pataca and help.

they provide overpriced internet in the lobby 4 min 2 r$!!! :(

but they have interesting change rates 1 € = 2.5 r$. friendly personnel.

can be really cheap, down to 68 or so usd including breakfast for a single user if you go via expedia. if i do not remember wrong the “plate price” for the sea view rooms is 202 r$ + 10% tax and 5% service or so.

mostly it is a family hotel so do not get in with real whor**! :)

some good things… also for a short visit they will register your girlfriend… you are quite safe that she is not **** and she will not take your things and disappear from the room. just give a 10 r$ tip… or even less. for the night they will charge some fee, like 60 or so r$, but it includes the breakfast for her too at 22 r$.

if you turn left going out you will find a crossing with r. siqueira campos.

in the street, just 20 meters from av atlantica and on the left side if going from av atlantica to the inner city you will find the carretao churrasco. quite good and price worth. different prices for week days and holidays. usually you get some like a caipirinha, 3-4 chopps, churrasco, coffee, sweet and some liquor under 70-80 r$. normal meal under 50 r$. but the churrasco is really good, and you have sushi and sashimi in the complimentary salads too! good side dishes for the churrasco (all included!). it’s very difficult that you manage to eat a sweet!

instead of turning right in the r. siqueira campos if you go straight (left when to get out towards help, priced now at 23r$ for boys and girls!) you will find between the bars of the next block an internet café. quite good, because it costs 1 r$ per every 10 min or fraction. you can get drinks, and most interesting of all they will throw down barriers for your privacy, so you can look at agencies or whatever… on ground you can’t do it in the hotel. it’s open from 8 a.m. to around 1 a.m. they have also interesting telephone and exchange rates.

it

ps i nailed fernanda and nanda this year in my room! (one per night!)

Oralover
10-20-07, 05:19
Hi folks,

I'm heading back to Rio in early noevember.

I am thinking this time of renting an apartment for 1 or 2 weeks.

I notice some people say that you should get a room (or hotel for the first night) and then go around and see what apartments are available.

How do you find these apartments once your down there? Are you still using the same services. Ie grngo management, ez-riorentals, Rio apartments etc?

Pipe Layer99
10-21-07, 06:02
Look at some of the apts on-line (take notes of the ones you like). Then make contact with a the agencies before you go. Tell them you want to see a few apts when you get there.
Be sure to get the local phone numbers for them. Take the phone numbers (and your notes) with you. When you are in Rio call them so you can go see some apts.
*I would also call a few days before I leave to see whats available. May save you some time and effort.

I have used these with no problems -

Bobby with blameitonrio4travel.com
John with riorentals4less.com

How do you find these apartments once your down there? Are you still using the same services. Ie grngo management, ez-riorentals, Rio apartments etc?

Orpheus I
10-21-07, 22:32
I Stayed at the 5 Star Penthouse.

Here is the link:

www.riosfinest.com

Franky the owner is a very nice german guy.

Everything as promised and he is owning 4 other cool places as well.
But nothing can beat the location from the 5 Star.

I is in the building from Don Camillo on the top, with a lot off lights and a pool. Just amazing. Not cheap, but I has 3 bedrooms, 4 Flatscreens and the best view at copa....
Just 2 min walk from help.

Payed something like 250 Euro a day, depends on season and lenght of the stay.

Oralover
10-22-07, 04:41
Look at some of the apts on-line (take notes of the ones you like). Then make contact with a the agencies before you go. Tell them you want to see a few apts when you get there.

Be sure to get the local phone numbers for them. Take the phone numbers (and your notes) with you. When you are in Rio call them so you can go see some apts.
*I would also call a few days before I leave to see whats available. May save you some time and effort.

I have used these with no problems -

Bobby with blameitonrio4travel.com
John with riorentals4less.comThanks for the advice.

Will do.

Prelude
10-23-07, 10:31
Somebody could tell me if the hotel Mercure Apartments Rio De Janeiro Botafogo is girl friendly?

Exec Talent
10-23-07, 11:55
Somebody could tell me if the hotel Mercure Apartments Rio De Janeiro Botafogo is girl friendly?

I do not get all these girl friendly questions. Today, it is easy to find the number for a hotel. Pick up the phone, call them, almost certainly someone speaks English, and ask them their guest policy. In Rio, this is not an unusual question. If they have a web site go there. They probably list an e-mail address.

Oralover
10-24-07, 03:44
Anyone ever use globe condos to book an apartment?

www.globecondos.com

just wondering if the experience was a good one or not?

There rates seem pretty reasonable, especially for longer stays.

Mwgmwg
10-28-07, 22:49
Do you have a suggestion for a really cheap hotel in Centro? A hostel would be ok?

I am staying on Copa at another hotel where I intend to sleep.

I spend my weekdays in Centro in low to mid level joints. I need a place in Centro to shower and clean up during the day. I don't plan to sleep there. Just a shower and a place to store some non-valuable items. I know about the The Monterrey (Artur Bernardes 39) in Catete, at 30R per day. The price is good, I can not walk there from Centro.

Jan 156
10-29-07, 19:49
Do you have a suggestion for a really cheap hotel in Centro? A hostel would be ok?

I am staying on Copa at another hotel where I intend to sleep.

I spend my weekdays in Centro in low to mid level joints. I need a place in Centro to shower and clean up during the day. I don't plan to sleep there. Just a shower and a place to store some non-valuable items. I know about the The Monterrey (Artur Bernardes 39) in Catete, at 30R per day. The price is good, I can not walk there from Centro.

I don't know any good hotels (unless they're on someone's expense account). But there are many fairly disgusting hotels in the northern part of Centro - that flea-infested bit north of Pres Vargas where there are really lovely disgusting 1R a min places (some of the 1R's are overpriced). And there's also Aquarios and at least one posh terma and then Maua if you walk a bit further.

I really must try one sometime. Even the signs saying 'hotel' look like they've been rescued from a burnt out film set. In fact I think the locale is ideal for Centro. Like Prado Jnr in Copa - making a special journey can be disappointing but it is nice to have the really low-life p*ssy palaces on your doorstep (and many of them are open late, which is more than one can say for the Centro 1R palaces south of Vargas).

Afterthought - I don't know of an actual backpacker hostel in Centro itself but there's an excellent (upmarket) one walking distance from VM. You would need a bus or Metro into Centro but it's closer than Catete and is in a decent area.

Brazil Lover
10-30-07, 02:00
Are you still using the same services. Ie grngo management, ez-riorentals, Rio apartments etc?

I used Rioapartments and thought they offered good service and a good apartment.

Anaxova
11-20-07, 19:17

ryjerI am planning my trip to Rio and have contacted the owners.

They said they have a very strict policy about NO VISITORS. They sent me a copy of the lease and there is a clause that says: "In line with our government's efforts to curtail sexual tourism in Brazil, blah, blah, blah...giving access to the apartment to prostitutes or unauthorized visitors is grounds for immediate and summary eviction and forfeiture off all monies paid."

I don't know if this is a new policy or what, but forget it, it's too risky.

Chris H
11-22-07, 04:58
I am planning my trip to Rio and have contacted the owners.

They said they have a very strict policy about NO VISITORS. They sent me a copy of the lease and there is a clause that says: "In line with our government's efforts to curtail sexual tourism in Brazil, blah, blah, blah...giving access to the apartment to prostitutes or unauthorized visitors is grounds for immediate and summary eviction and forfeiture off all monies paid."

You are right, FORGET IT!! Why would anyone rent from some weak ass owner like that....???? What do they think is the reason you are in Rio for and want an apartment.

Chris H

Trippleecks
11-22-07, 11:48
Anaxova
I think I would have taken him up on that threat. Since Prostitution is not illegal in Brazil, that is outright discrimination and I would have sued his ass and just may have wound up owning that apartment of his.

One time in a building I rented an apartment in, I had a building manager knock on my door and tell me “no prostitutes in the building” so I said to him, please write that down for me because of my poor Portuguese I need to have my lawyer translate that into English for me. I just smiled at him and he just walked away mumbling in Portuguese.

Also if the contract you sign is in English, it's not valid in Brazil.. Only documents in Portuguese can be enforced in Brazil

Exec Talent
11-22-07, 13:38
Anaxova
I think I would have taken him up on that threat. Since Prostitution is not illegal in Brazil, that is outright discrimination and I would have sued his ass and just may have wound up owning that apartment of his.

One time in a building I rented an apartment in, I had a building manager knock on my door and tell me “no prostitutes in the building” so I said to him, please write that down for me because of my poor Portuguese I need to have my lawyer translate that into English for me. I just smiled at him and he just walked away mumbling in Portuguese.

Also if the contract you sign is in English, it's not valid in Brazil.. Only documents in Portuguese can be enforced in Brazil

Interesting. I remember when I rented an apartment from one of these so called tough guy Americans and they caved when the manager tried to extort money. Maybe you know the guy? I don't recall exactly, but it wasn't Bobby. A lot of tough talk, but cried like a baby.

Anaxova
11-22-07, 14:09
Anaxova,

Also if the contract you sign is in English, it's not valid in Brazil.. Only documents in Portuguese can be enforced in BrazilThe contract says it is a faithful copy of the original in Portuguese, and that I'd have to sign both. I know that some residential buildings in Rio DO have internal building laws that do not allow prostitutes, and that these internal restrictions (like no pets, etc.) ARE legal. Plus there is a clause that says NO VISITORS, and that clause is perfectly legal for short-term, furnished rentals, which follow a separate law (incidentally, I'm a lawyer).

It's not worth it. Better find some place else.

Anaxova
11-22-07, 14:12
Interesting. I remember when I rented an apartment from one of these so called tough guy Americans and they caved when the manager tried to extort money. Maybe you know the guy? I don't recall exactly, but it wasn't Bobby. A lot of tough talk, but cried like a baby.The contract says it is a faithful copy of the original in Portuguese, and that I'd have to sign both. I know that some residential buildings in Rio DO have internal building laws that do not allow prostitutes, and that these internal restrictions (like no pets, etc.) ARE legal. Plus there is a clause that says NO VISITORS, and that clause is perfectly legal for short-term, furnished rentals, which follow a separate law (incidentally, I'm a lawyer).

Exec Talent
11-22-07, 18:03
The contract says it is a faithful copy of the original in Portuguese, and that I'd have to sign both. I know that some residential buildings in Rio DO have internal building laws that do not allow prostitutes, and that these internal restrictions (like no pets, etc.) ARE legal. Plus there is a clause that says NO VISITORS, and that clause is perfectly legal for short-term, furnished rentals, which follow a separate law (incidentally, I'm a lawyer).

Anaxova, I agree with you. My point is that it is EZ to talk tough, but when it comes to actually coming through, they are about as cowardly and duplicitous as forum posters who promote their services under multiple names.

Ryjerrob
11-23-07, 04:18
I am planning my trip to Rio and have contacted the owners.

The owner is Irene. I did sign a contract, but it wasn't a big thing. I also gave her a deposit, but it was no problem getting it back. I screwed myself by losing the provided cell phone and paid about $75USD. I thought it was high since the phone was so old, but it was my fault. I got the remainder of the deposit back minus the cell cash. I later got an email about stains from the sheets, I later sent her another $30USD.

As for the guest policy, don't sweat it. For what you pay, you basically get the apt. for 2 people. But if you're thinking about having some sort of party, forget it. There's no way of knowing what's going on in the apt. The doorman leaves about 9pm, and after that you use your key to enter the security gate for the building. Tell her that Ryan referred you from this past May.

ryjer

Pipe Layer99
12-02-07, 08:35
If you don't want any bullshit with your apt rental, stay away from a black dude named Malcolm from Chicago. This butthole who incidentally is from my home town, tried to screw me and my wing man. Get this - I'm in the apt 5 days no problems. Then on day 6 my wingman arrives. Malcolm arrives from Chicago on the same day. That same morning they start tearing up the floor just above our apt. Soon after, Malcolm comes over to get the rest of the rent and my wingman complained of the construction going on above (while I'm banging a chick in my room). My wingman tell him if this continues we will have to move. Malcolm says he will ask the apt manager and get back to us. He does not get back. The next day the floor construction starts at 8am - we just got to bed at 6am with GDPs from Help. So we call Malcolm, wake his ass up and tell him its still going on and if it continues we will have to leave. Again, he replies let me get back to you. He does not get back, so that afternoon we go look for another place. While out looking at apts he calls and asks if we are going out to party. NO we are looking for a new apt right now. Since you never called us back we have to move. This MF says well you have to pay for today since its past 5pm. I was like bullshit - we called you hours ago and told you we can not sleep here and need another place if this crap continues. Since you never called us back we are moving out. This asshole tells me I owe the days rent since its after 5pm. I said yeah right - if we can not sleep in the apt due to the construction we have to move. In fact, you should pay me and my wingman for the inconvenience for the past two mornings. So we moved and did not pay his ass anything for that one additional day.

Can you believe how one American treated two others - all from the same city. Believe me - don't ever use Maloclm from Club Rio 4 Travel.

If you have any doubt, ask Cho on this board -he is my wingman.

Trust me. Donnie D

Gimmedub
12-02-07, 09:09
Quite good, reasonable rates, free cab from airport. Highly recommended. Stay in Ipanema.

Anyone ever use globe condos to book an apartment?

www.globecondos.com

just wondering if the experience was a good one or not?

There rates seem pretty reasonable, especially for longer stays.

Trippleecks
12-03-07, 21:17
Anaxova.. OK you're a lawyer. Are you a Brazilian Lawyer, and are you in Rio? Do know all there is to know about Real estate law in Rio? If you did, you would know that you CAN NOT discriminate against people. period.
Let a building manager, or a portero, call a female guest a prostitute and see what happens. Her lawyer will be on him like white on rice. I know a girl that asked to use the rest room in a restaurant and was told to go away, we don't allow prostitutes to use the bathrooms. She called the cops and the person that said that to her, in front of witnesses, was taken away.
If he was not been able to prove she was a prostitute, he's was in a world of trouble.

It does not fall under the same internal restrictions (like no pets, etc.) You can have a clause that states "NO GUESTS" but that means "NO" guests at all. Not a friend, not your mother, not your priest, no one..

Thanos
12-08-07, 06:53
Anaxova.. OK you're a lawyer. Are you a Brazilian Lawyer, and are you in Rio? Do know all there is to know about Real estate law in Rio? If you did, you would know that you CAN NOT discriminate against people. period.

Let a building manager, or a portero, call a female guest a prostitute and see what happens. Her lawyer will be on him like white on rice. I know a girl that asked to use the rest room in a restaurant and was told to go away, we don't allow prostitutes to use the bathrooms. She called the cops and the person that said that to her, in front of witnesses, was taken away.
If he was not been able to prove she was a prostitute, he's was in a world of trouble.

It does not fall under the same internal restrictions (like no pets, etc.) You can have a clause that states "NO GUESTS" but that means "NO" guests at all. Not a friend, not your mother, not your priest, no one..They can refuse you having prostitutes in your apartment. I know some owners who have gone so far as to boot guys out of apartments. Its the same way some hotels tax guys for bringing in girls and some don't. Its up to the individual owner. Like someone said in a prior post the owners all know why guys are renting the apartments and if they don't feel its worth the hassle they won't put up with it. Some guys from vegas came to Rio not long ago. Rented a very nice place on ipanema beach and proceeded to run girls in and out. The other tenants contacted the owner who then contacted my friend who was subleasing the apartment to the vegas guys. Called him in the states and said if the vegas guys were not out in a day they would pull his lease. He had them put out. And as far as refusing prostitutes to use the bathrooms; sit inside the restaraunt at the Terraco Atlantica one night and watch the waiters turn the GDPs away and make them use the bathroom in the hallway.

Trippleecks
12-08-07, 11:56
Thanos.... If the guy in the USA had a clause in his lease allowing him to sublet the apartment, then the owner had no say in who he rented it to. If he did not have that clause in his lease, the owner could kick him out at any time for renting it to "anyone". It depends on the written lease.

As for the restaurant in TA. Since the restaurant and Help are both owned by the same group, if the girls want to continue to frequent the place they will not complain about anything. If you walk into a restaurant and just want to use the rest room they may just say “no” and that's it.. You're not a customer. However if they say "NO" and tell you we don’t allow tourists or Americans, or Blacks, or Indians or a hookers, to use our restrooms, they are in trouble...

JohnnyBraz
12-10-07, 04:14
They can refuse you having prostitutes in your apartment. I know some owners who have gone so far as to boot guys out of apartments. Its the same way some hotels tax guys for bringing in girls and some don't. Its up to the individual owner. Like someone said in a prior post the owners all know why guys are renting the apartments and if they don't feel its worth the hassle they won't put up with it. Some guys from vegas came to Rio not long ago. Rented a very nice place on ipanema beach and proceeded to run girls in and out. The other tenants contacted the owner who then contacted my friend who was subleasing the apartment to the vegas guys. Called him in the states and said if the vegas guys were not out in a day they would pull his lease. He had them put out. And as far as refusing prostitutes to use the bathrooms; sit inside the restaraunt at the Terraco Atlantica one night and watch the waiters turn the GDPs away and make them use the bathroom in the hallway.On my coming 20 day tour off Rio in febuary, I have used rent flat in Rio, also known as help apartments. Got a nice one bedroom flat 1 min walk from help. 75 us dollars a night. And can have as many women or guests back as I like. Always get a guest friendly flat and you can't have any problems.

Ldrive
12-11-07, 09:11
I woul appreciate any leads on nice 3 bedrooms in Ipanema or Copa. I am aware of all the gringo websites, the local websites and have spent hours going through the listings.- and may end up using one.- but thought you guys might come throught with a great idea or choice.

Also, please tell about any reliable, truthful call-in services. We like the termas, but not Help. So an escort seems like a logical place to explore some fun at our place. We are 3 gringo professsionals, late 30s, would like 3 young and hot ladies (good attitude of course) for a party with the 6 of us a couple of times. Or maybe a garota who could arrange it. I have done some research, but it looks like there are all kinds of bait 'n switch and rip offs goimg on out there.

Thanks,

L

Rio Joe
12-19-07, 03:24
I woul appreciate any leads on nice 3 bedrooms in Ipanema or Copa. Try Omar. He used to be manager of Motel Sinless, then went into the rental business. Real nice guy, nice places, good prices. I've been renting from him in Copa and Ipanema for the last few years. PM me for his email address.

Thanos
12-20-07, 03:09
Thanos. If the guy in the USA had a clause in his lease allowing him to sublet the apartment, then the owner had no say in who he rented it to. If he did not have that clause in his lease, the owner could kick him out at any time for renting it to "anyone". It depends on the written lease.

As for the restaurant in TA. Since the restaurant and Help are both owned by the same group, if the girls want to continue to frequent the place they will not complain about anything. If you walk into a restaurant and just want to use the rest room they may just say "no" and that's it. You're not a customer. However if they say "NO" and tell you we don’t allow tourists or Americans, or Blacks, or Indians or a hookers, to use our restrooms, they are in trouble. You're making the mistake of applying american common sense law to brazilian culture. I have seen many americans booted out of apartments and not even get their money back. What are they going to do? Call the cops and say they got booted for having drugs and gdps in their apartment. Please help me officer. If a gdp called the cops to your apartment and said you owed her money the cops would take her side and make you pay. Who do you think they would believe; the gringo monger or the brazilian apartment owner? The cops in brazil would laugh at them and maybe extort more money from them and you could forget about hiring a lawyer. What guy on a one or two week vacation has time or resources to sue an apartment owner? As for the gdps and the restrooms if the waiter tells every gdp to use the hall bathroom and allows regular women to use the inside restroom its the same as saying no hookers. Restaraunts in the states don't even let regular people walk in off the streets and use their restroom unless you're a customer and they definitely wouldn't let prostitutes walk back and forth using the restroom. Why would brazil be any different?

Zimroel
12-23-07, 19:48
I spent 15 nights in a so-called deluxe Copacabana apartment during the carnival 2007.

http://www.copacabanaholiday.com.br

It was 3000 reals (+ 300 for internet). It was baaaaad, everything was old (plates, knives, washing machine, air conditionner). The washing machine broke during my stay and I stopped using the air conditionner because it made my digestive system sick. It should be full of microbes. In fact I was sick half my stay. The only good side was the new painting and the floor has been refurbished. It was not easy to keep girls in. The apartment next to me was being refurbished (with hammer noise) and there was music, everything at 9 AM. It's tough when you come back from Help. The building was old (late 60s) and looks like a european social building where you put poor people not being able to afford the real price of a rent. The building is the one where there is the agency (maybe the first agency to rent to foreigners, they're doing business since 1969).

It really screw up my vacation, should have read this thread before (In fact I took this agency because I saw it on the lonely planet book). The people working for the agency are really nice but their product is bad. Next time I will go to Ipanema. I include some pictures because I don't want people believe I'm a liar.

Thanos
12-23-07, 21:42
I spent 15 nights in a so-called deluxe Copacabana apartment during the carnival 2007.

http://www.copacabanaholiday.com.br

It was 3000 reals (+ 300 for internet). It was baaaaad, everything was old (plates, knives, washing machine, air conditionner). The washing machine broke during my stay and I stopped using the air conditionner because it made my digestive system sick. It should be full of microbes. In fact I was sick half my stay. The only good side was the new painting and the floor has been refurbished. It was not easy to keep girls in. The apartment next to me was being refurbished (with hammer noise) and there was music, everything at 9 AM. It's tough when you come back from Help. The building was old (late 60s) and looks like a european social building where you put poor people not being able to afford the real price of a rent. The building is the one where there is the agency (maybe the first agency to rent to foreigners, they're doing business since 1969).

It really screw up my vacation, should have read this thread before (In fact I took this agency because I saw it on the lonely planet book). The people working for the agency are really nice but their product is bad. Next time I will go to Ipanema. I include some pictures because I don't want people believe I'm a liar.One thing you have to realize when renting from brazilians is that their idea of deluxe is not the same as the american or european idea of deluxe. Take into consideration that many brazilians grew up in the favelas so the apartment in your pictures is like a fifth avenue penthouse to them. If you're going to stay in Copa ALL of the buildings are old. You might run across some modern apartments that the owners have refurbished but all of the buildings themselves are old. As for the hammering and the music if you're going to be a constant visitor to Rio get used to it. In just about every building at some point and time there's an apartment being re-done. And with the music and noise there's a law. Tenants are only allowed to play loud music til a certain time of night (9 or 10pm) and they can't start the music or work til 9am.

Sunset Strip
12-23-07, 21:58
Copacabana Holiday has been around for years. I had a similar experience when I was down there for New Years. I had a small apartment in Leme, right across from Leme Palace. The fridge was old and rusted to the extent I did not even want to touch it. I was so grossed out I had to keep the bedroom door closed to take the fridge out of my mind.

There was NO hot water. I mean my ass ( I mean this literally) never felt clean! Around day 3 I started going to the thermas daily just to take a shower.

I think Copacabana Holiday is ok for normal tourist or students. Mongers who want to entertain girls should go elsewhere.

You actually pay more for less when you rent from Copacabana Holiday and they have a bunch of rules you have to follow.

TJ

Off Road
12-23-07, 22:04

The A/C unit and iron look old. Not any photos of inside. The outside looks typical. Most all apartments in Copa were built in the 50s and 60s. The outsides are not that great, only a few a totally remodeled outside.

Music at 9AM during carnival! go to Salvador, it is 24 hours of music, noise, crowds, that is what carnival is for!

The construction, it takes a while but you do get used to it and sleeping through it, it is part of living in Copa.. Not much you can do, the people renting to you have no idea when it could start or stop. It can be in the adjacent building. Sad fact for the tourist/renter.

I have rented some very small place for new years, it was nice but small, I think we paid $2000 for 10 days, 1 br. no internet, no tv.

Remember this is high season, apartment owners have to get the most they can because they get very little action during the winter.

Have you rented before to compare? does sound like you paid a lot and did not get what you expected.

I have never heard of this agency, I know a few gringos who rent though.

Ezinho
12-23-07, 22:46
Copacabana Holiday has been around for years. I had a similar experience when I was down there for New Years. I had a small apartment in Leme, right across from Leme Palace. The fridge was old and rusted to the extent I did not even want to touch it. I was so grossed out I had to keep the bedroom door closed to take the fridge out of my mind.

There was NO hot water. I mean my ass ( I mean this literally) never felt clean! Around day 3 I started going to the thermas daily just to take a shower.

I think Copacabana Holiday is ok for normal tourist or students. Mongers who want to entertain girls should go elsewhere.

You actually pay more for less when you rent from Copacabana Holiday and they have a bunch of rules you have to follow.

TJ
I also rented from Copacabana Holiday once too, and felt the same way about them as TJ Fannatic reported. Actually, the staff and the company themselves were fine, professional, deposit returned on time, etc. It's just that their apartments were, for the most part, real dingy. Off Road is correct that most apartments in Rio were built in the 50's and 60's, but I swear, some of the aptos I saw through CH looked even older than that! I'm talking Pre-WWII. Especially in Leme. Their inventory didn't seem well managed/maintained at all.

I believe myself and a couple other members complained about CH, but this was a couple of years ago. Check the archives for more complaints.

I think Sperto and others have mentioned it already, just start talking to people in the cafes, people on the street, etc. They will be able to hook you up with a better apto than most companies offer, and for less money too. All it takes is some patience and some Porto skills.

TJ Fannatic- the apto in Leme you rented through CH sounds just like the shithole I stayed at once, check out the pic below; did we stay in the same place?

Zimroel
12-23-07, 22:50
Music at 9AM during carnival! go to Salvador, it is 24 hours of music, noise, crowds, that is what carnival is for!Well, the music was the workers' radio. There was no noise during the 3 (or 4)days of the carnival because days off. About the building, I was disapointed by the environment, I expected Copacabana being a litle more classy but well I adapted. It's not big deal.

What I don't tolerate is the furnitures. The iron was from early 70s, like the TV, like the washing machine, like the mirror, the bed, the sheet. The air conditioner has probably never been cleaned up from 70s because each time I use it for the night I spent the next day on toilet.

It was advertised as a deluxe apartment (others apartment being cheaper) so I was expecting something different.

Sunset Strip
12-26-07, 19:32
E,

Here is the one I was in. I think the Leme apartments are in the same building. The claim by the company was that where I would be staying was "high up" meaning in social class. They might be right, but the charm of these apartments has faded!
These same photos have been on the site since 2001 or 2002 when I stayed there. The apartment is smaller and older than it appears in the photos!

http://www.copacabanaholiday.com.br/reference/16/

Rio Bob
12-27-07, 00:00
E,

Here is the one I was in. I think the Leme apartments are in the same building. The claim by the company was that where I would be staying was "high up" meaning in social class. They might be right, but the charm of these apartments has faded!
These same photos have been on the site since 2001 or 2002 when I stayed there. The apartment is smaller and older than it appears in the photos!

http://www.copacabanaholiday.com.br/reference/16/

Just curious, how much was that apartment?

The Chief
01-09-08, 16:01
Guys,

My first trip to Rio coming up in late April/early May and I am researching as much as I can on apartment rentals.

Just a general question: would it be reasonable for me to ask for a $10/night discount on an apartment costing around $65 for that time of year? (My stay would be 8 nights).

ryjer

Ryjer, was it GF?

Jan 156
01-10-08, 22:23
I put some Centro hotel prices up (with the help of Loso) on the general RJ thread, but I was in seeing a friend on Bar.Ribeiro this afternoon and popped into to ask Felipe what he was charging just now (Felipe of Rent-a-Flat, near Cardeal Acoverde station www.rentaflat.com.br)

Of course, as with anyone, it depends how long you want it for and when, so as a guide I asked for 2 prices -

1 week starting now 120-150R a night (ouch!)

1 month starting now (ie running through into Carnaval) between 2K & 3K for the month. Electric on top.

It´s more than I thought and makes the Ibis look a snip (except you can´t cook). Private landlords, judging by my usual landlady who went huffy that I didn´t bite her hand off when offering a friend´s place at this price) are probably charging about 80R a night just now, with an eye what they can get later as Carnaval approaches. This is almost double what I paid in the (Brasilian) winter. My friend I went to see said I was crazy and that I should come in March.

What is anyone else paying who´s in RJ *now*?

Guys,

My first trip to Rio coming up in late April/early May and I am researching as much as I can on apartment rentals.

Just a general question: would it be reasonable for me to ask for a $10/night discount on an apartment costing around $65 for that time of year? (My stay would be 8 nights).

They won´t ask for that much that time of year anyway. Apart from that, just depends how much they (and you) like haggling. It´s not so much that they discount that time of year IMO but simply rack it up near Carnaval for whatever they think they can get.

The Chief
01-11-08, 14:26
They won´t ask for that much that time of year anyway. Apart from that, just depends how much they (and you) like haggling. It´s not so much that they discount that time of year IMO but simply rack it up near Carnaval for whatever they think they can get.Thanks mate.

So let me see if I understand this right. The prices that are listed on websites at the moment, they are typically "high season" prices unless specified otherwise.

Let's say the price is $US75 per night.

If I said to them "I'm coming in late April/early May for 9 nights, will you accept $US55 per night?" will that just be accepted as a normal business offer, or will have I created a bad environment between us?

Jan 156
01-11-08, 19:01
Chief, we´re talking a city the size of London. How is it possible to make any such generalisations with any degree of reliability? If you´re booking for April why would you want to book now. I´m no expert on web adverts as I always always only book when I get here, whether it´s hotels or apartments. But as we´ve seen, just in this tiny area with two hotels in the same chain, one has accurate web listings and the other is way out.

As to whether this is high season, the answer is obviously yes, but it gets higher when Carnaval starts.

If it´s your first trip, you´ll be much wiser afterwards and be able to plan easier for next time. Until then, you just have to make a reasonable stab at it I guess. All the advice from all the experts cannot guarantee you plain sailing but I´m sure you´ll have a great time - and coming at that time of the year is far less problemmatic than now.

All the best

Thanks mate.

So let me see if I understand this right. The prices that are listed on websites at the moment, they are typically "high season" prices unless specified otherwise.

If I said to them "I'm coming in late April/early May for 9 nights, will you accept $US55 per night?" will that just be accepted as a normal business offer, or will have I created a bad environment between us?

Thanos
01-11-08, 19:20
Thanks mate.

If I said to them "I'm coming in late April/early May for 9 nights, will you accept $US55 per night?" will that just be accepted as a normal business offer, or will have I created a bad environment between us?The prices for hotels and apartments fluctuates greatly because there are really no restrictive codes that govern the prices. A $75 a night apartment now might be $300 a night during Carnaval. Even though Carnaval is really only 5 days most renters rent in blocks of 10 days meaning the ultra high prices kick in around the 27th of January on alot of places. Its all up to the owners and what they think they can get. Prices are governed more by the flow of the tourists than by the "seasons". If the dates that you are coming happen to coincide with a holiday or otherwise heavy traffic time for tourists prices could be even higher than $75 in April/may. The only real predictable time for lower prices is June and July when copa is normally empty. But its all up to the owners or whoever is renting the apartment. A renter might charge you $75 a night and charge someone else 50$ a night for that same apartment. They charge what they think they can get away with and they more than likely won't give you a discount unless they know you.

The Chief
01-12-08, 03:06
Thanks Christopherd.

Yes it is my first trip.

As to why I want to sort out my accommodation now, well I am travelling around Sth America prior to getting to Rio, and don't plan to spend much time on the internet while I am touring. Rio is one place where I want to have a place sorted before I arrive.

I've found some nice apartments to look at, I'll probably end up being a lame gringo overpayer (LOL) - I will see how my bargaining skills go!

Jan 156
01-12-08, 06:24
Thanks Christopherd.

Yes it is my first trip.

As to why I want to sort out my accommodation now, well I am travelling around Sth America prior to getting to Rio, and don't plan to spend much time on the internet while I am touring. Rio is one place where I want to have a place sorted before I arrive.

Hey lucky you - and Rio is a fabulous place to top off your trip. It will definitely ice your cake. And you don´t sound lame enough to me to get totally ripped off (but you could always try Gringo Management if you are determined lol!)

The Chief
01-12-08, 10:10
Thanks again.

Actually, Rio is not the end of my trip. I have a couple of days in Buzios (ever been there? ), five days in Salvador, then. Six months in Europe, then a month in Thailand! LOL

Searching the net today, I've found a reasonable studio apart in Ipa. Shame I can't private message you to get your thoughts. And yes, I've read about Gringo Management I've previously emailed David and asked to see his available stock, but there's not much there that interests me.

PS: Thanks to Thanos for his insights too.

Hey lucky you - and Rio is a fabulous place to top off your trip. It will definitely ice your cake. And you don´t sound lame enough to me to get totally ripped off (but you could always try Gringo Management if you are determined lol!)

Jan 156
01-13-08, 15:09
(from the RJ thread)

Regarding your first point, if you're into hotels, the Sheraton is the best bargain, dollar for dollar, in Rio. It's a 5-star hotel at 3-1/2 star hotel prices. At the Sheraton, you'll pay less than half what you would at the Copacabana Palace or Caesar Park. And it's girl friendly. The only negative is the location.

Unless someone else (eg a company) is paying, or I´m feeling exceedingly flush, my interest in hotels tends towards either the very best or simple pousadas. I used ´Sheraton´as an easily understandable metaphor for a certain level of quality, but Sheratons vary a lot too (I have had my whole bill refunded in full once when it was awful - PM me anyone who wants to know how, it will prob still work).

Copa Palace is an amazing building, both in itself, its history and what it offers. I have spent time wandering around its halls and vistas to soak in its wonder. Another in ´world class´ is the Oriental in Bangkok - worth staying in if only for one night just for experience (Although I´ve stayed in teh Oriental but not yet Copa Palace).

Other than that, I´d rather not pay money for hotels when I don´t need them (eg for a business function, when certain basics are necessary).

I am hard pressed to justify staying in Ibis (Tiradentes) at 139R a night when the Rio Hotel opposite has rooms at 40R.

The Ibis has all the appearances of a Western hotel - English at reception, prepackaged glutinous food (some is ok but some is worse than McDonalds), bright lighting and so on.

The Rio Hotel has 40w bulbs, drab brown walls, and you need enough Porto to order a room. Just had a look and the ensuite is as good as the average pousada. There´s no restaurant, but do you want one? I had much better food than Ibis can muster (chicken and potatoes - and believe me it was delicious) for 2R this morning at a cafe on the way back from my morning run in the park.

Thanos
01-13-08, 20:40
Thanks again.

Actually, Rio is not the end of my trip. I have a couple of days in Buzios (ever been there? ), five days in Salvador, then. Six months in Europe, then a month in Thailand! LOL

Searching the net today, I've found a reasonable studio apart in Ipa. Shame I can't private message you to get your thoughts. And yes, I've read about Gringo Management I've previously emailed David and asked to see his available stock, but there's not much there that interests me.

PS: Thanks to Thanos for his insights too.Because I hate to see a fellow traveler getting the gringo treatment check out this guy. Best and most reasonable renter in Copa. [Email address deleted by Admin]. His name is franco and he's the best.

EDITOR's NOTE: This report was edited to remove email addresses in the text. Please do not post email addresses in the Forum. Instead, please invite other Forum Members to contact you directly via the Forum's Private Messaging system. Thanks!

Jan 156
01-16-08, 18:23
I was going to post the web address of the Rio Hotel in Tiradentes, but I’ve just tried it and it doesn’t work. So probably the email doesn’t either.

But for those who are happy with a traditional cheap Brasilian-style hotel, the phone number is 2282-1213 (I wouldn’t bother trying to book in English – they don’t speak a word). But if you can say ´Tem quarto, por favor?´ it´s a snip at 40R en suite (that is slightly below the rack rate – and judging from the reception I got, they are glad of the business). Expect a slightly dingy room and fairly hard bed though.

The address is Rua Silva Jardim 3 (just off Rua Carioca). If you know Rua Carioca, or Carioca Metro Station, or Rua Carioca 59 knock-shop, just walk an extra short block and turn left. It’s opposite the Ibis, decorated outside with a string of those tacky festive lights. (If you are not familiar with Centro, please note that Praca Tiradentes, or Tiradentes Square, is NOT the same square where Tiradentes Palace is.)

One salient fact struck me that might be of interest. A fellow monger on the board posted about a nice little shaggin´shop in Rua Leopoldina, which is just off the opposite side of the square. It’s one of those where you can sit down and have a beer in a relatively relaxed room before your lady gets her eagle on. Outside of Leopoldina 8 and the nearby street-corners, until pretty late at night, there’s some free range chicas on offer. They range from old and ugly to young and actually rather attractive. But they all dress in a way so they will not be confused with passing upmarket clientele of the theatre and coffee bars – ie, they look like wh*res. Now although the Ibis is girl friendly – I’ve taken well-dressed ladies back – taking one of these streetwalkers back would be one hell of a ´walk of shame´ in the Ibis, which is relatively posh. At the Rio Hotel I can hardly see them caring. (Fortunately there are plenty ´by the hour´ hotels in the vicinity, so there is no need to do the ´walk´ even across the square if you are not of a mind too ;-))

Jan 156
01-23-08, 01:14
I went by this guy today, who advertises the fact that Lonely Planet have at least at one point recommended him. He´s an English speaker.

Outside, he had apartments listed at 80R, which is not bad for just now, but when I spoke to him he said they were getting snapped up within 5 minutes. He had hotel rooms at a bit more than double that for Carnaval.

I´ll keep his address though.

Andes (AndesSol Turismo)
Av NS Copacabana 209
Email andessol@uol.com.br

Tel 2541-0748 and 2543-4662

BurnMax2007
01-23-08, 02:45
I have been contacting several agencies online looking for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment with internet access for one month from the middle of February until the middle of March. I have not found much available at a good price. The best offers were in the range of $R1700 - $R2000.

If I waited until I got to Rio and tried to find an apartment with internet from local agencies or private parties, what price range should I expect?

Has anyone used either of these two agencies:

www.homesinrio.com
www.riobayhousing.com

Thanks.

Shanghai Noon #2
01-24-08, 17:39
I am trying to book hotels in Rio through Travelocity and after searching the net find too numerous complaints against them that I do not want to use them. I was curious if other members have similar bad experiences with them?

I am trying to locate the phone numbers of some of the hotels in Rio and are unable to find their phone numbers. Just curious if anyone know how to best look up the numbers of the hotels in Rio? In the U.S there is usually a yellow book listing, overseas there is usually no such listing.

Sprite13
01-26-08, 09:13
Is the Copacabana Palace girl friendly? I'd like to try it just out of curiosity for next time. Could I expect a discount if I were to book there as opposed to online? The rate starts at $445 to $725 per night. Has anybody stayed there and would like to share their views on it?

http://www.copacabanapalace.com.br/web/orio/packages/4_87186.jsp

That would be much appreciated.

Scotob
01-26-08, 15:26
Is the Copacabana Palace girl friendly? I'd like to try it just out of curiosity for next time. Could I expect a discount if I were to book there as opposed to online? The rate starts at $445 to $725 per night. Has anybody stayed there and would like to share their views on it?

That would be much appreciated.My answer would be no! I just returned home yesterday, and this exact topic was brought up by me to a help "regular" who I have been very good friends with for over 5 years (yikes. Thats scary! ) She told me that she has been taken to dinner there a few times by her admirers, but she has never been allowed to their room, without paying an incredible price. It is still without a doubt the classiest hotel in Rio, but definitely not girl friendly. I welcome anyone who either agrees or disagrees with me.

Lucky19
01-26-08, 16:57
Hey boys - Will be using Gringo mgmt in July.

Wish me luck!

Scotob
01-26-08, 18:16
I have always stayed at the Praia Ipanema Hotel, but I feel they have outpriced themselves and are not girl friendly, so I decided to stay at the Atlantis Copacabana Hotel. The rooms are very plain and simple, which is not a problem by me whatsoever. Basically 4 walls, with 2 small beds which I put together, a very small TV, minibar, small bathroom and very limited closet and drawer space. It is very, very doable even with these limitations. The rooms are very clean and very quiet. I would get a kick out of coming back there at 4PM, as many of the guests would be bringing there Help "catches" there and often there was a line to check them in. The price is 25R for the evening extra, and if they stay for more than 1 consecutive day, I was not charged for the extra days (an omission I think by the staff). The breakfast is adequate, and the breakfast room has plenty of seats, and never were they even close to being even half full. The staff is very friendly. For 10R I bought a card for use on there computers (they have 2) which gives one 2 hours of time. It was ackward to look up this site and check out escort pictures as the privacy for each booth is somewhat limited. The location is perfect, and my walk to the beach in Ipanema in front of Ceasars Park was around a 20 minute venture. It seems as if many cabs are not familiar with the hotel, and often they don't recognize the street either, when I would tell them. It may be wise to write down the address and phone number on a piece of paper and if they don't recognize the name, they can call the hotel on there cell phone, or ask another cab driver. The hotel staff is very friendly. There were many, many families staying there. I never had the opportunity to use there rooftop pool. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. For my 12 day stay, I would guess that I saved at least 1500. 00 dollars in comparison to staying at the Praia Ipanema hotel. I paid 100 dollars a night at the Atlantis Copacabana. One word of caution, though. I spent over 100R on local calls made at the hotel. Make as few calls as possible from the hotel!

Exec Talent
01-26-08, 18:39

That would be much appreciated.

If you recall the movie Pretty Woman, the hotel did not encourage guests, but made an exception for Mr. Lewis. Same can be said at the CP.

Lorenzo
01-26-08, 19:28
I have never stayed at the CP, but I have stayed at several other top-of-the-line hotels (Caesar Park, Sheraton Towers, Meridien, Intercontinental), so I assume the rules are pretty standard at this class of hotel. First of all, Exec Talent is right: it depends on who the registered guest is. You can be sure that if Jack Nicholson or Mick Jagger are staying there, they can bring in as many girls as they want, no questions asked. With unknowns, however, it is a different story.

Far and away the most important factor is the girl's appearance. You can be sure that if she looks like a prostitute in any way, you will be stopped cold, and she will be asked to leave. If, however, she could pass as a business woman or any other kind of non-pro, it will be much easier.

The next most important factor is the time of day. It's much easier to get a girl in during the day than at night. Why? Because hotels are much busier during the day, and guests are constantly using the elevators to go to the restaurants, bars, and conference rooms. Consequently, you are much more likely to pass unnoticed. Besides, some hotels have a security person specifically assigned to the elevators at night to prevent unregistered people from entering, but never in the daytime.

None of this is theoretical; I am basing this entirely on personal experience. I have gotten garotas into all of the hotels mentioned above. The only time I ever hit a snag was when I got caught sneaking a girl in at Sheraton Towers--yes, at night--and all they did was request that I have her register at the desk and show ID.

Another thing I always do is make a reservation for two people. That way I can always maintain that I am paying for a second guest and have the right to have her stay. This worked at the Sheraton Towers, but I have been told that this isn't foolproof.

I have always wanted to try the Copa Palace, but for some reason never have, and now it is priced out of sight due to the exchange rate. But give it shot, Sprite13, and post a report letting us know how you fared.

L

Lancer520
01-30-08, 06:19
Does anyone have any information on the Rio Ross Hotel. I know the location is great, but how are the rooms and are they girl friendly??? Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Junior
02-07-08, 18:42
Does anyone have any information on the Rio Ross Hotel. I know the location is great, but how are the rooms and are they girl friendly??? Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Hi,

I have used the hotel on several occasions, but it was a few years ago. The location is really great. The rooms are quite dark, but the rooms are clean and the staff is quite nice - also to guests. I would probably rate the room 2/5. They do have international cable tv and room service. Breakfast is nothing to get excited about. In the past you could bring guests for free if you book a double room, otherwise they would charge R50 a day - but this may have changed.

Junior

The Watcher
02-08-08, 00:25
Hi,

I have used the hotel on several occasions, but it was a few years ago. The location is really great. The rooms are quite dark, but the rooms are clean and the staff is quite nice - also to guests. I would probably rate the room 2/5. They do have international cable tv and room service. Breakfast is nothing to get excited about. In the past you could bring guests for free if you book a double room, otherwise they would charge R50 a day - but this may have changed.

Junior

I have never stayed there but I have several friends who stayed there many times a few years ago. I agree with Junior's assessment.

My friends don't stay there anymore because they wanted better accommodations. This is not to say that the hotel does not serve its intended purpose (cheap girl friendly hotel close to Help) but just that they wanted more upscale accommodations.

Euromania
02-12-08, 20:31

http://www.copacabanapalace.com. Br/web/orio/packages/4_87186. Jsp

That would be much appreciated. Many four. Five star hotels don't allow company overnight. The women get kicked out before midnight unless you check in together in a double room. Sometimes they are not allowed at all and you have to take them to a motel. Even tourist hotels have similar rules. Some times you can pay the guy in the reception but most of the time its impossible.

Some Brazilian girls have a bad temper and don't always agree with their clients after the session. Sometimes because of misunderstanding (language problems) and sometimes the don't even tell that they want money until when they have to leave.

They start shouting, sometimes fighting with the client and have no problems waking up the entire hotel. Some of the girls come from farvelas and have no manners. Many high range hotels have taken the consequences and don't allow these kind problems.

If you book in advance and pay as well you are really fucked. Off season sometimes you can negotiate in the reception, but have it on paper also how much you have to pay extra.

You don't get anything for free just because you stay at Copacabana Palace. The girls only want two three times as much because then you are rich.

I've had problems with hotels in Copacabana and in the northeast Brazil. Further south never problems.

Three times I booked and paid the hotel for one month, back home and then I had to go to a motel every day (not so funny).

They speak English in all five star hotels so why not call them and have them to confirm on a fax.

Mark_Simon
02-25-08, 05:23
Been reading alot, and trying to figure out what area I want to stay in. I'm pretty sure I want an apt and hoping to convince a buddy to come along so prob. Need 2 rooms.

With the different areas; Ipanema, Copacabana, Leme, Santa Teresa, Arpoador, LEBLON, Flamengo Beach and any others, whta re the advantages to staying in some of these areas.

Thanks

Off Road
02-25-08, 21:05
With the different areas; Ipanema, Copacabana, Leme, Santa Teresa, Arpoador, LEBLON, Flamengo Beach and any others, whta re the advantages to staying in some of these areas.

ThanksDepends on what you are here for and what you like.
Leblon is the most expensive area. Mostly rich brazilians. Nice restaraunts.
Ipanema is next most expensive, but pretty similar to Leblon and adjacent to it. There are a lot of restaraunts, a few bars. Not totally GDPs. Some termas.
Arporador is inbetween Ipanema and Copa, not very large area.
Copacabana is ground zero, Help, Balcony, Mabs, Mei Pataca, Terraço Atlantica all GDP locations.
Leme is next to Copa, some lesser expensive apartments.
You will probably find yourself heading to Copa most of the time.
Flamengo and Botofogo are farther away.

Check out google maps, you can see where things are to a point.

Exec Talent
03-13-08, 12:00
When visiting Rio most of the time I have stayed at an apartment. This time I decided to stay at a hotel for several reasons:
1) Quiet. Too many times lately it has been either construction, noisy neighbors or street noise. A top floor at a hotel is very quiet.
2) Internet access. Internet in apartments has been great. At other times it has been unreliable. I couldn't take a chance. The hotel upgraded their level of service for me.
3) Daily maid service. Different girls, different sheets.
4) Breakfast. Hot breakfast everyday.
5) Price. Same cost as a nice apartment. They didn't gouge me at New Years and Carnaval.
6) Deposit. None required.
7) Credit card. I was able to put everything on my credit card, which is not only convenient, but also earns miles for future travel.
8) Best bed I have had in Rio. I only sleep 4 hours a night. Most of the beds at apartments were bad to begin with and are worn out.
9) Commitment. I could leave at anytime. Lots of reports here of guys who got to Rio and found out their apartment was less than desirable.

There are many other reasons, but this should give you some things to consider when making your own decision about where to stay.

Cho 637
03-13-08, 16:54
I usually stay in Ipa and I have stayed in Copa. I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about Botafogo, or Lagoa. I know that both are a little off the beaten path but that is not too much of an issue. My consideration is the convenience of restaurants, stores, etc and my limited port (completed pimsleur).

Jan 156
03-13-08, 17:07
I usually stay in Ipa and I have stayed in Copa. I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about Botafogo, or Lagoa. I know that both are a little off the beaten path but that is not too much of an issue. My consideration is the convenience of restaurants, stores, etc and my limited port (completed pimsleur).

I've not rented in Botafogo even though it's my favourite area to hang out. Some of the Copa rental agencies have one or two apartments there but it's not touristy. There's three art house cinemas plus a multiplex. I much prefer the restaurants to the Copa ones. Shops are good - there's the major Bot.Shopping (opp the beach - not quite as big as Rio Sul but same idea) and lots of interesting shops between the Beach and the Metro. Some very nice bars in the evening too. Very little mongering, but you can nip into town etc from the Metro or buses very easily. Less porto spoken than in Copa but still quite a lot - it attracts educated types (good dance school too, though you need basic porto for forro class, less for salsa). Nice for photos across the bay to Sugar Loaf (from the beach or Bota.Shoping). Water is too dirty to swim in.

Lagoa is nice but a nightmare for traffic. And far too much walking. Nice for running round the pond if you are up for that. Good for chilling out in the Botanics (worth a whole day even) or Parque Lage (good for picnics, quiet meditation, admiring the architecture, art classes). Shopping is a bit over-specific for my liking - better going to Ipa for that style (or Bota for more ordinary shops). Superb restarants and bars but I generally let posh carioca friends find them for me - they are not obvious and not wall-to-wall. Upmarket and occasional independent or posh terma as far as mongering goes but I usually only go there for jogging, socialising with non-mongers, or to see shows at the Jockey Club. Occasionally take a regular p4p girl or whatever to the park but they stand out like a sore thumb. Nice photos.

Prosal
03-13-08, 18:24
I usually stay in Ipa and I have stayed in Copa. I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about Botafogo,.
I've stayed twice in Mercure Apt Botafogo (former Parthenon Botafogo Long Stay) on rua Socoraba.

The area is very pleasant, enjoyable to stroll in, has a decent number of mid-level cafes and restaurants and plenty of barzinhos with a friendly atmosphere to have a drink in the evening. Cobal Humaita, which is a great place for happy hour with more than a dozen good and busy bars, is only a 15 minutes walk. There's also some more stylish places, like Ballroom which is my fav club in town and a good pick-up place, for later in the evening.

Meninas in Botafogo bars are usually more outgoing and friendly than their Ipanema and Leblon counterparts. Also in Praia Shopping sales girls and customers are easier to approach than in more upscale malls.

It's my personal favorite neighborhood in Rio. Also if I had to chose another "off the beaten path" area to stay, it shouldn't be Lagoa but Jardim Botanico.

Java Man
03-13-08, 18:47
5) Price. Same cost as a nice apartment. They didn't gouge me at New Years and Carnaval.

Begs two questions: Which Hotel and how much?

Exec Talent
03-13-08, 19:20
Begs two questions: Which Hotel and how much?

I have been staying at the Premier on Tonelero. I have perfect view of the Christ Statue from my window. I negotiated a price when I moved here from an apartment. I don't want to state the price because I know it is well below market. When I checked around for both New Years and Carnaval even the most basic apartments were higher than the rate I was being charged.

Jan 156
03-13-08, 22:09
I have perfect view of the Christ Statue from my window.

(Cra**y piece of concrete IMHO but) a view of the statue from an outdoor balcony is a great way to establish mood ('break state') when you get the garota back to your place. Aparthotel on Barata Ribeiro has some good apartments like this.

Cho 637
03-14-08, 07:00
Christopherd, Prosal:

Thanks for the info. You both make Botafogo sound very attractive. Lagoa is out of the running.

JohnnyBraz
03-14-08, 08:14
Does anyone have any information on the Rio Ross Hotel. I know the location is great, but how are the rooms and are they girl friendly??? Any input would be greatly appreciated...Yes it is girl friendly. I just got back from a 3 week trip, I met some english man who was staying at the Rio rossi, it's directly behind the othon palace. Now they wanted 170 reals a night, but if he booked a double room for 190 reals a night, he could take as many girls in as he pleased. On my next trip in about 8 weeks I'll probably stay there myself for a few days while I find an apartment.

Prosal
03-14-08, 09:25
Mercure Apt Botafogo has also balcony rooms with views on the Cristo. Perfect for sipping caipirinhas as watching the scenery.

Unfortunatly their rates have increased to 350 reals/day, breakfast not included ! (I inquired recently)

The situation is becoming silly. A simple three stars in a Rio's mid-level neighborhood is now more expensive than the Oriental Bangkok (world's best hotel).

It's truly crazy. Brasil has outpriced itself out of the market.

Schaf29
03-20-08, 10:55
Dear fellow mongers,

As European going for the first time to Brazil, I hope I can get some help from you. I will be going to Rio for business two days, staying in the Sofitel. First question: is this GF?

And then I want to stay a couple of days privately, but do not want to spend that much money, so my PA founf 3 hotels, would be great if any of you could tell me if they are ok (meaning clean, good, safe area and acceptable standards) and obviously if they are girl friendly?

- Acapulco Copacabana
- Best Western Rio Copa or
- Golden Tulip Continental

Thanks very much for any recommendation, also if you have a suggestion for another hotel in the price range up to 130$/night.

Schaf

The Watcher
03-21-08, 04:43
Dear fellow mongers,

would be great if any of you could tell me if they are ok (meaning clean, good, safe area and acceptable standards) and obviously if they are girl friendly?

- Acapulco Copacabana
- Best Western Rio Copa or
- Golden Tulip Continental

The Acapulco Copacabana is a nice hotel in a nice area but it is not girl friendly. As I recall, you can only have a girl if she checks in at the same time that you do.

I recommend the Atlantico Copacabana. It meets all of your requirements.

Rocco69
03-28-08, 21:13
The Acapulco Copacabana is a nice hotel in a nice area but it is not girl friendly. As I recall, you can only have a girl if she checks in at the same time that you do.

I recommend the Atlantico Copacabana. It meets all of your requirements.Is this the Atlantico Copancabano on Siquera Campos? I'm booked in there from next week so I hope it,ll be GF. I'll report back anyway on what its like.

Abzsafado
03-29-08, 02:23
Mercure Apt Botafogo has also balcony rooms with views on the Cristo. Perfect for sipping caipirinhas as watching the scenery.

Unfortunatly their rates have increased to 350 reals/day, breakfast not included ! (I inquired recently)

The situation is becoming silly. A simple three stars in a Rio's mid-level neighborhood is now more expensive than the Oriental Bangkok (world's best hotel).

It's truly crazy. Brasil has outpriced itself out of the market.

The prices have become a bit silly recently. But I did manage to find a nice two bedroom apartment in lagoa, list price was R$250 but the agent reduced it to 200 for a twenty day stay.

Sunset Strip
03-29-08, 20:01
Is this the Atlantico Copancabano on Siquera Campos? I'm booked in there from next week so I hope it,ll be GF. I'll report back anyway on what its like.

I think he meant the Acapulco Copacabana which is right behind La Meridien in Leme. This hotel is not girl friendly as they try to be family friendly.

http://www.acapulcohotel.com.br/

Abzsafado
03-29-08, 22:34
I think he meant the Acapulco Copacabana which is right behind La Meridien in Leme. This hotel is not girl friendly as they try to be family friendly.

http://www.acapulcohotel.com.br/

No he was talking about the Atlantico in Siquero Campos. It's on tripadvisor, obviously not the girl friendly bit.
The Acapulco used to be a great place until they did it up a bit.