PDA

View Full Version : Rio de Janeiro - Hotels & Apartments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Sprite13
03-30-08, 06:44
Quick question: Is the Rio Othon Palace girl friendly?

Thanks.

Off Road
03-30-08, 13:12
Quick question: Is the Rio Othon Palace girl friendly?

Thanks.Yes and no. I have not been there for 2 years, but when I was there, they charge a lot extra to have a girl. AND they will ring you up at about 4:50AM to remind you the girl has to be out of the hotel by 5AM! not good. When I tried to pay more, etc, they said absolutly NO, either she went or we both have to leave. I would not stay there. Stay at the Marriott if you are so inclined to have a more upscale place.

Abzsafado
04-04-08, 00:57
If you are looking for a good quality apartment in Rio try belavista-rio.com. They have quite a few high quality apartments round about Rio. I stayed in the Condu Lac in Lagoa, nice apartment with broadband, but a bit noisy. It was two bedroomed but the second bedroom was only a single. It was on the corner of Vinicius de Moraes so it was handy for the bars in Ipanema. The price on the net was R$250 a night but it came down to R$4500 for a month.
Rented a one bedroomed apartment on Visconde de Piraja in Ipanema from apartur.com.br for R$100 a night for a few days last week, not such a high quality but still had broadband.

Rocco69
04-04-08, 14:29
No he was talking about the Atlantico in Siquero Campos. It's on tripadvisor, obviously not the girl friendly bit.

The Acapulco used to be a great place until they did it up a bit.Yeah it was the Atlantico in Sequero Campos. Booked a double room through expedia for about $100 US/night. Girl friendly, no problems, no charge.

Sunset Strip
04-04-08, 19:46
No he was talking about the Atlantico in Siquero Campos. It's on tripadvisor, obviously not the girl friendly bit.
The Acapulco used to be a great place until they did it up a bit.

Sorry, I was referring to the original poster and quoted the wrong person. But it seems Atlantico IS now girl friendly (according to Rocco), while Acapulco is not any longer.
I remember seeing guys take GDPs from Mabs and the beach in Leme to the Acapulco a year ago.

TJ

Sperto
04-04-08, 20:35
When I look for a hotel/pousada in Brazil I always ask if they allow visits in the room and if they will charge extra. If they don't allows visit I leave straight away.

Outside Rio it's normally no problem. They normally allow visits daytime and if she spends the night in the hotel they might charge you a small fee for "cama extra" (extra bed).

In Copa, in Rio, it's different, some hotels will allow you bringing guests and some will not. That's very understandable. In Copa you have a lot of foreign sex-tourists who wants to bring GPs to their room. This might cause a lot of problems. They might disturb their neighbours and also gives an ugly impression to the hotel if it's a upperscale hotel. Imagine in the morning when all the families are having their breakfast and you walk in the restaurant with your hardcore GP wearing high heels and short skirt.

IMO the best alternative in Copa is renting an apartment or bring your GP to a motel.

I see this question all the time, "Is this hotel XXX girl friendly"? Wouldn't it be much simplier to send an email to the hotel and ask if they allow visits and if so what will be the charge?

Bizzie
04-05-08, 02:56
Call me lazy, but can anyone share some GF aparthotel or hotel they know of or haev used recently?
Thanks.

Jan 156
04-05-08, 12:04
can anyone share some GF aparthotel
Aparthotel on Barata Ribeiro is GF. They need to present ID at the door though.

Call me lazy
If you insist. You'e lazy. <g>

Abzsafado
04-05-08, 14:03
Imagine in the morning when all the families are having their breakfast and you walk in the restaurant with your hardcore GP wearing high heels and short skirt.

I think that is why they stopped letting them in the Acapulco. Breakfast time there was like going back to Help. And some of those women are not so pretty in the morning.
It is really up to us to decide if the girl is suitable to take to breakfast, if she's loud and brash with more tattoos than clothes and you are in a tourist hotel then maybe room service is the better option.

Member #4378
04-05-08, 15:39
Dear fellow mongers,

- Acapulco Copacabana
- Best Western Rio Copa or
- Golden Tulip Continental

Schaf

I believe, Best Western is not GF (it wasnt in the last 2 years).

Sunset Strip
04-05-08, 21:52
rentflatinrio.com

Anybody ever tried this site? They seem to have all the apartments rented by gringomanagement and then some more. Somehow I get the impression that this is why gringo plays the switch-a-roo, from time-to-time. When you reserve from gringo they put you in the same building as one in the photo but in another apartment because they do not really have the real one available.

By the way, I did a search in this thread for rentflatinrio.com and got nothing, so if it has been discussed excuse my bringing the topic up again.

TJ

JohnnyBraz
04-19-08, 08:16
rentflatinrio.com

Anybody ever tried this site? They seem to have all the apartments rented by gringomanagement and then some more. Somehow I get the impression that this is why gringo plays the switch-a-roo, from time-to-time. When you reserve from gringo they put you in the same building as one in the photo but in another apartment because they do not really have the real one available.

By the way, I did a search in this thread for rentflatinrio.com and got nothing, so if it has been discussed excuse my bringing the topic up again.

TJYes I have used them on my last 3 week trip in febuary. I can say that they are by far the best apartment rental service I have used, and there prices are also very good, I have not found an apartment rental company who can match there prices. They are not gringo management, and they are nothing to do with gringomanagment.

The man who runs it is from the netherlands. There was one little problem with water in a flat below me, they moved me into an apartment that would have cost an extra $100 us a night, (no extra charge).

They are very proffesional and easy to deal with.

I have already contacted them about my next 2 trips this year to Rio.

Sprite13
04-27-08, 05:55
Yes and no. I have not been there for 2 years, but when I was there, they charge a lot extra to have a girl. AND they will ring you up at about 4:50AM to remind you the girl has to be out of the hotel by 5AM! not good. When I tried to pay more, etc, they said absolutly NO, either she went or we both have to leave. I would not stay there. Stay at the Marriott if you are so inclined to have a more upscale place.

Thanks for the reply Off Road.
One more question to the experts:
Is the Rio Apa Hotel girl friendly?

Thanks a bunch.

Coldstaender
04-29-08, 00:48
Hi,

I have a girl here available and do not want to bring her to my hotel. I need a room for 3 hours. Any idea which hotel is working on hour basis in Ipanema? I asked taxi drivers and read the newspaper and did not find anything.

Voyajer1
04-29-08, 12:45
Use this love motel guide. Hopefully you will find the information useful. I have and have not been disappointed.
http://www.guiademoteis.com.br/home.aspx?id=000200490000

Hi,

I have a girl here available and do not want to bring her to my hotel. I need a room for 3 hours. Any idea which hotel is working on hour basis in Ipanema? I asked taxi drivers and read the newspaper and did not find anything.

Wild Cherokee
04-29-08, 19:17
Hi,

I went to the Vanity Hotel (in Copa) one night with a girl who, upon entering, spoke to the guy at the front desk. She got us a room for 3 hours for R$40. As this was the first and only time I've used a hotel for a GDP experience (note... by the hour), I'm not sure if the rate was good or bad. However, the room was nice and felt safe. Lots of mirrors, huge bed, clean, etc.

Might I add, an excellent session.

WC

Tiradentes
04-30-08, 03:42
i went to the vanity hotel (in copa) one night with a girl who, upon entering, spoke to the guy at the front desk. she got us a room for 3 hours for r$40. as this was the first and only time i've used a hotel for a gdp experience (note... by the hour), i'm not sure if the rate was good or bad. however, the room was nice and felt safe. lots of mirrors, huge bed, clean, etc.

might i add, an excellent session.

wc

good or bad ???

the last time i was there (+ 2 years), i paid r80 for 2 hours. on our way out, the receptionist handed my girl r10. she told me that it was a standard practice. i knew the girl a long time ago and i trusted her (she offered to pay me back the r10, but i declined since i am the one who asked to go there).

good motel, but the rooms always had a stinch of [CodeWord109] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord109) !?. hope they fixed itby now.

anyway, your girl was a angel. she saved you at least r40

Wild Cherokee
04-30-08, 04:23
anyway, your girl was a angel. she saved you at least r40

perhaps the time of day had something to do with the price? i was there from approximately 3:30am to 6:30am (if memory serves me correctly) on a thursday night (or more appropriately friday morning).

she was in fact an angel. upon exiting vanity, she flagged down a cab for me, gave the driver the name of my hotel and paid him for me in advance. yes, she paid the taxi (out of my payment to her).

this was my first experience with a helpee gdp (quite pleasant). seriously.

wc

Junior
05-06-08, 18:59
Hi,

I love Rio - and go back a couple a times a year.
It would be really nice to buy a nice apartment downthere so I have my own place and also lock-in some of the costs of the trip.

Do anyone have any experience with owning and renting out an apartment?
I would let a local agency handle the apartment and rentals.

Junior

Exec Talent
05-07-08, 12:11
Hi,

It would be really nice to buy a nice apartment downthere so I have my own place and also lock-in some of the costs of the trip.

Junior

Friends don't let friends buy apartments in Rio. Quite simply it is a bad investment. If you want to say you have an apartment in Rio and have money to burn, by all means, buy an apartment in Rio. One of the reasons it is a bad investment is you must put up all the cash. Even with a bank in the US financing it, I can think of about 100 other places to put your money which will yield a higher return.

Off Road
05-07-08, 12:46
Hi,

JuniorI agree with ET that buying an apartment in Rio is not a good idea, but for different reasons.
I have purchased my place and at times wish I had not.
A. I am locked into this one place, not easy to move. I bought in Copa, sometimes I wish I was in Ipanema or another city (Fortaleza). I like freedom to move about.
B. The continual upkeep is not fun. In the US it is easy to fix things, here it is impossible unless you have mason skills and like to work with concrete. My shower has been leaking from above for 6 weeks, I do not have much recourse that is easy to get the problem fixed.

Now was it a bad investment? The housing seems to go up about 10% a year, that is not a bad return. BUT with the dollar dropping it has been great for my investment. I bought when the dollar was 2.3 it is now 1.65, so I have made about 35% on my investment in dollars with zero increase in price. if I were to sell with 10% increase in price, that would be 60% increases in dollars.

But again, if I were to do it all over again, I would rent.

This does not even address the risk you take in getting ripped off by the title not being clean (no real title insurance here).

Exec Talent
05-07-08, 23:19
I agree with ET that buying an apartment in Rio is not a good idea, but for different reasons.
A. I am locked into this one place, not easy to move. I bought in Copa, sometimes I wish I was in Ipanema or another city (Fortaleza). I like freedom to move about.
B. The continual upkeep is not fun. In the US it is easy to fix things, here it is impossible unless you have mason skills and like to work with concrete. My shower has been leaking from above for 6 weeks, I do not have much recourse that is easy to get the problem fixed.

Now was it a bad investment? The housing seems to go up about 10% a year, that is not a bad return. BUT with the dollar dropping it has been great for my investment. I bought when the dollar was 2.3 it is now 1.65, so I have made about 35% on my investment in dollars with zero increase in price. if I were to sell with 10% increase in price, that would be 60% increases in dollars.

This does not even address the risk you take in getting ripped off by the title not being clean (no real title insurance here).

Especially since I like and respect Off Road. My point is a simple one. Give me $200,000 to invest in the US and I will buy real estate worth at least $2,000,000. Give me $200,000 to invest in Brazil and I will buy real estate worth $200,000. I have excellent relationships with my US Banks and even at that they are leery about lending money for the purchase of Brazilian real estate. Hell, these days they are leery about lending on US real estate!

Poucolouco
05-08-08, 03:36
Especially since I like and respect Off Road. My point is a simple one. Give me $200,000 to invest in the US and I will buy real estate worth at least $2,000,000. Give me $200,000 to invest in Brazil and I will buy real estate worth $200,000. I have excellent relationships with my US Banks and even at that they are leery about lending money for the purchase of Brazilian real estate. Hell, these days they are leery about lending on US real estate!Et is right on the mark if you are looking at the pure economics of buying an apartment as an investment. I would not make this decision as an investment. OR has only touched on the pitfalls (there are many more, ) for an ex-pat type of situation. On the other hand, let’s look at your motivation and the economics and convenience of having your own pad in Brasil. Depending on your life-style, it is a convenience to have your own place. You can have a wardrobe at home and another in Brasil. You can minimize your luggage. If you are so inclined, you can save money by doing your own cooking, laundry, cleaning (sigh.) You need to do the math on how often do you go to Brasil, and how much time you are there. What do you spend on rentals and the accommodations that suit you. You also need to consider that there are costs beyond the purchase price, (condominium fees, gas, lights, TV cable, internet, etc.) I live in Brasil about half time. I made a modest investment in a conjugada (studio-type) apartment as an experiment. I am now looking for a larger place to accommodate guests. When not in country, I rent the place out to tourists, which is an entirely different topic of discussion. I would not discourage your idea but I would caution you to carefully consider if you want to invest a lot of money in Brasil

Off Road
05-08-08, 12:06
Especially since I like and respect Off Road. My point is a simple one. Give me $200,000 to invest in the US and I will buy real estate worth at least $2,000,000. Give me $200,000 to invest in Brazil and I will buy real estate worth $200,000. I have excellent relationships with my US Banks and even at that they are leery about lending money for the purchase of Brazilian real estate. Hell, these days they are leery about lending on US real estate!
I guess I should add that I was just LUCKY that things worked as they did for me, and I have not capitalized on any potential gains. As I said, I would not reccomend purchasing. I did because I am retired and wanted the security of my own place.

So advice I think we are all giving.. do not buy, or if you do, know the issues and that this is not really an ivestment.

Off Road
05-08-08, 12:15
As we have mentioned, you have to basically pay 100% for a place here in Brazil. Given that you have a ton to purchase then you have the monthly costs. Here are my average montly costs:
Condo Fee 500, Lights 250, Gas 50, Cable 300, Cell Phone 200: Total 1300
This is the higher end of how much you would pay. I have 4MB internet, all movie channels, internet phone, use A/C units all the time, etc.. I could probably get down to 900 a month if I wanted.
This does not include girls and food, and repair of the apartment.

Piper1
05-08-08, 13:20
To keep expenses reasonable, I'm looking at about US$100 per night for six nights accommodation July 13-19. Rio Roiss Hotel is $100 per night, apparently very GF, and in a very convenient location in Copa. However, it has mixed reviews here and on regular travel sites. Does anyone have any updates on Rio Roiss, or suggestions for alternative places at around $100/night for a first-time Rio visitor?

Dickfer
05-09-08, 19:34
Stayed there for the first leg of my trip - booked on expedia at $150 (US)/nite for the junior suite. THey had no problems w/ me checking in early as my flite arrive early in AM. Their rack rates are actually much cheaper than you get from US travel sites (I think 180R for same suite).

The accomodations were below-average. See pics. Bathroom did not feel "modern." It took my mood of "vacation" to "do I have to deal with this crap." But I'm one picky mofo.

They are girl friendly Had absolutely no problems. Right next to Luomo and Siquiera Campos metro station so good that way.

One of the guys I met on this trip told me that his laptop was stolen while his bags were checked in at the hotel while waiting for his flight.

Dickfer
05-09-08, 19:38
Stayed here for rest of the trip. 262R/noite +5% tax booked through their website. It was modern with good maid service that cleaned up my shit good every day. I was satisfied.

The only thing I'd add would be that although they are GF (did not charge extra for visitors), they would not allow two of them at the same time.

Checked my bags in for 6 hours waiting for my flight - nothing stolen.

dicks out

Jermelle
05-12-08, 16:26
Has anyone ever used myriocondo?

Lorenzo
05-18-08, 22:50
I have a trip to Rio planned the last week of August. I'll be using 90,000 Delta Skymiles for a free business class seat from the US; not a bad deal. So, since my air transport costs will be minimal (I still have to pay taxes and airport fees), I'm willing to splurge on lodging. I usually stay at the Sheraton Towers on Av Niemeyer, which is still an excellent bargain, but the last time I stayed there I found it's distance from everything kind of offputting; taxi fares added considerably to my expenses, in spite of the fact that they have a free shuttle to Ipanema and Copa. However, the Sheraton is very girl friendly, so I may stay there again. But I am considering other options.

So here are my specific questions. Has anyone stayed at the Pestana Rio Atlantica recently? The only mention of it I have been able to find on this forum is 3 years old, and it was highly negative. I wonder if anyone else has had a more satisfactory experience recently.

Second question: what is the hotel that used to be Le Meridien, at Av Atlantica and Princesa Isabela (sp?) where Copacabana becomes Leme, now called? I know it was renovated and changed hands. I stayed there when it was Le Meridien and thought it was excellent, although not GF. I'd like to see what its rates are now, but for that I need the name.

I have looked at other options toward the upper end of the scale and found them prohibitively expensive. The Marriott lists rooms at between US$400-500 a night; same for Copacabana Palace. I don't see much point in paying more than US$200 a night, since anything more than that won't be proportionately better in quality than the Sheraton. Any suggestions?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Lorenzo

Piper1
05-18-08, 23:44
Stayed there for the first leg of my trip - booked on expedia at $150 (US)/nite for the junior suite. THey had no problems w/ me checking in early as my flite arrive early in AM. Their rack rates are actually much cheaper than you get from US travel sites (I think 180R for same suite).

The accomodations were below-average. See pics. Bathroom did not feel "modern." It took my mood of "vacation" to "do I have to deal with this crap." But I'm one picky mofo. Thanks for the pics and info. I've pretty much decided to stay there unless I find something better in the same price range. Looks comfortable enough, and a couple of members have PM'd me that it's 100% GF and in a convenient location. One member PMd that he had a standard room for $67. The best I can do for July is $100.

Rio Bob
05-19-08, 00:57
what is the hotel that used to be Le Meridien, at Av Atlantica and Princesa Isabela ?

Iberostar Copacabana

http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Rio-de-Janeiro--hotels/Iberostar-Copacabana_3_129.html

Lorenzo
05-19-08, 04:26
I went to Iberostar Copacabana's website (thanks, Sangue Bon) and typed in my arrival and departure dates. I got a response saying that the either the hotel is closed or that there are no rooms available not only during the dates of my stay but for all of June through September! Very bizarre; I couldn't even find out their rates. Maybe I'll give them a call. Has anyone stayed there since they changed ownership?

L

The Watcher
05-19-08, 04:54
I went to Iberostar Copacabana's website (thanks, Sangue Bon) and typed in my arrival and departure dates. I got a response saying that the either the hotel is closed or that there are no rooms available not only during the dates of my stay but for all of June through September! Very bizarre; I couldn't even find out their rates. Maybe I'll give them a call. Has anyone stayed there since they changed ownership?

L

At least it was not open when I was in Rio in April. In fact, the doors were boarded up. I don't think it will be open for quite some time.

Lorenzo
05-19-08, 07:16
At least it was not open when I was in Rio in April. In fact, the doors were boarded up. I don't think it will be open for quite some time.
Well, I guess that solves the mystery!

Exec Talent
05-19-08, 07:27

L

This is what happens when people post all the time but only visit Rio once every five years! Hotels (and people) can change their names, but aparently little else changes.

Rio Bob
05-19-08, 13:00

L

Lorenzo sorry about that, I guess they're still remodeling, they are supposed to be doing a complete remodel job, top to bottom.

I also have a 90,000 point roundtrip business class on Delta to Rio coming up. It's my first time going to Rio using Delta; I usually go business class on Continental like I did this past February the last time I was in Rio. The reason why I chose Delta is because when I tried to make the reservation on Continentals website all they offered were the Delta flights, so I took them. When you get back, can you please post your experience about their service, I would be curious.

There is a hotel that they say is a 3 star hotel but it really is a 2 star hotel but it's in a superb location, probably best location of a hotel in all of Rio IMHO. I'm sure it is not up to your standards but I just wanted to mention it anyway and that is the Arpoador Inn.

It sits right on the promenade/boardwalk in Arpoador and has this great little restaurant/cafe in front right on the promenade that attracts a real nice crowd of tourists and locals that sit outside for drinks and dining.

Probably the best rooms are the ocean view rooms that they get a premium for but unfortunately it's only 2 star but on a 10 star location.

Chris H
05-21-08, 04:06
Lorenzo sorry about that, I guess they're still remodeling, they are supposed to be doing a complete remodel job, top to bottom.

I also have a 90,000 point roundtrip business class on Delta to Rio coming up. It's my first time going to Rio using Delta; I usually go business class on Continental like I did this past February the last time I was in Rio. The reason why I chose Delta is because when I tried to make the reservation on Continentals website all they offered were the Delta flights, so I took them. When you get back, can you please post your experience about their service, I would be curious.

There is a hotel that they say is a 3 star hotel but it really is a 2 star hotel but it's in a superb location, probably best location of a hotel in all of Rio IMHO. I'm sure it is not up to your standards but I just wanted to mention it anyway and that is the Arpoador Inn.

It sits right on the promenade/boardwalk in Arpoador and has this great little restaurant/cafe in front right on the promenade that attracts a real nice crowd of tourists and locals that sit outside for drinks and dining.

Probably the best rooms are the ocean view rooms that they get a premium for but unfortunately it's only 2 star but on a 10 star location.

I can give you a little info about Business Class on Delta, and compare it to CO. Overall CO's srevice is better, and they seem to offer more on the flights to GIG than DELTA, but I have NO complaints about DELTA's service and the flight it self. And you can't beat getting there at 7am, and being the 1st person off the plane, and as long as the Air France flight is on time and already there you will get through immigration very fast.

Chris H

Rio Bob
05-22-08, 23:52
I can give you a little info about Business Class on Delta, and compare it to CO. Overall CO's srevice is better, and they seem to offer more on the flights to GIG than DELTA, but I have NO complaints about DELTA's service and the flight it self. And you can't beat getting there at 7am, and being the 1st person off the plane, and as long as the Air France flight is on time and already there you will get through immigration very fast.

Chris H

Thanks for your response, that's really too bad that Delta's service is not as good as Continentals cause I didn't think that co's was that good to begin with. I guess I'm spoiled, in the 80's I used to fly Pan Am to Rio on their 747 SP first class, what they have today is really just business class I guess but it's not even that good, not worth the extra money or miles.

You're right getting there at 7 am beats 1 pm on Continental, but I liked the Co flight because it left at 10 pm and I could put a full day at work in, with Delta I have to leave at 3:30 in the afternoon, so I lose the day. Thanks for the info.

Amerioca
05-26-08, 20:21
I agree with ET that buying an apartment in Rio is not a good idea, but for different reasons.

Good job! I bought property at 2.8R to 1USD. Thus far, it has been all good.

Piper1
05-27-08, 12:15
i tried to book atlantico copacabana, but it seems it's fully booked (on yeego.com). i emailed them direct several times, but no reply. would anyone else recommend premier copacabana? seems like a good hotel, but away from the action.
here is my newest hotel recommendation: premier copacabana. it is half a block away from l'uomo, and right across the street from the siqueira campos metro entrance. so it is basically at ground zero for the termas scene. (take the metro from here to uruguiana station for r2.35, and you have walking access to the centro termas.)

the price was about $75/night on hotels.com. the place is 15 stories high, with 6 rooms on every floor. nice big bed, with all of the switches for ac, tv, lights right next to you. great keyless safe in the room, with a combination that you program yourself. nice bathroom with lots of granite and spacious shower with tons of hot water. hairdryer. well-stocked mini-bar. obviously no beach view, though. no pool, either. inviting foyer and hallways. clean room. nice place. very decent breakfast buffet with hot items (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages), cold-cuts, fruit, and juices included.

getting girls to your room is easy. no-hassle registration when you bring her in, and a r40 "day-use fee" is added to your bill. if you pre-pay through hotels.com, like i did, then the hotels.com bill is your official one, and you only have to pay for the extras on a separate bill. so the day-use fee never shows up on what you hand in to your company, which is a definite plus.

people at the reception speak very decent english, day and night shifts. free wireless high-speed (i clocked up to 120 kb/s) internet everywhere, without any of the ports being blocked (which means that you can use skype, for example, to make all of your international phone calls).

good for those evening flights to the usa: late checkout until 2 pm is free. but you can extend for up to 4 hours until 6 pm on the day of your departure for an extra r35. (during that time i brought a girl in, btw, and they did not charge me the separate day-use fee for her).

i am attaching a shot from maps.google to show where the hotel is.

Piper1
06-01-08, 14:57
Lorenzo - I'm dragging up an old post of yours as I RTFF, still deciding on which hotel to stay.

Augustos is chica friendly, but you have to pay 25% of your room rate each time you bring a girl in, and she has to register. ...To my mind, this is one of the best bargains in Rio. The hotel is appointed as well as some luxury hotels I have stayed in. The rooms are huge, the buffet breakfast is sumptuous, the lobby is elegant, the service is excellent, and it is cheap. ...
The downside? Augusto's is almost 3 blocks from the beach, which is why a lot of people don't like it. WTF, everything in life involves a tradeoff, and walking is good exercise.
LorenzoDoes anyone have any updates on Augustos? BTW - if I book a double room, surely they would not charge extra to bring a girl in?

Lorenzo
06-01-08, 22:18
BTW - if I book a double room, surely they would not charge extra to bring a girl in?
Actually, I can answer this. If you book a double room, they won't charge for the girl the first time, but she will have to register. However, on subsequent days you will avoid the charge only if you bring the same girl each time. If you bring a different girl, the charge will apply. I guess their logic is that if she isn't the same one who registered the first time, then she is a guest.

I can't provide any current info, since the last time I stayed there was 2004. I can tell you that it is definitely a family-oriented hotel and caters to a lot of package tours, so I have a feeling that if the girl looks like a prostitute you won't even make it to the elevator, just as in the luxury hotels. Use discretion regarding who you bring back with you.

L

Piper1
06-03-08, 10:05
Thanks for the info Lorenzo. I don't understand their logic - paying a double room, then still paying extra for a guest.

Anyway, after probably too much RTFF plus a few enquiries, I'm leaning towards taking an apartment for the week instead of a hotel. Kenn from ez-riorentals.com has been helpful, responding to emails within 24 hours and sending info and photos of a number of modern-looking ocean-front apartments with magnificent views. At around $80 to $100/night, better value than standard hotel rooms. Very tempting.

BigSmile
06-04-08, 12:45
I'm thinking about using Gringo Management to rent an apartment in Ipenema for Carnival week.

Is he any good? Are his apartments good? Is there anybody else I should consider? Any experiences, good or bad?

BrasilForever
06-05-08, 03:54
I'm thinking about using Gringo Management to rent an apartment in Ipenema for Carnival week.

Is he any good? Are his apartments good? Is there anybody else I should consider? Any experiences, good or bad?There are alot of comments here about gringo management. The following is only my opinion. I have used gringo management (david) several times over the last 4 to 5 years. I have always found the apartments to be fairly priced, and the overall service average to good. David has always been responsive and pleasant in my dealings with him. In the end, you get what you pay for. Gringo Management has shabby apartments for cheap, as well as high end apartments for more cash, and apartments somewhere in the middle. I suggest you call David and explain what you are looking for, and let him make some recommendations.

If you are solo, and staying in copa, I recommend Apartment #113. Avenida Copacabana & Rua Djalma Ulrich. It's a really nice place, and close to help, etc. If you are staying in Ipanema, I recommend Apartment #156 Condo Henrique Dumont 85. Also a nice apartment, with lots of restaurants around. My 2 cents. Pm me if you have any other questions.

JohnnyBraz
06-05-08, 06:41

Is he any good? Are his apartments good? Is there anybody else I should consider? Any experiences, good or bad?Try rentflatinrio.com or riopenthouses.com I find then the best apartment service to use and they are also the best price and error free.

Piper1
06-05-08, 11:51
I have also been in touch with David at Gringomanagement. After I emailed him yesterday with some preferences, he replied immediately with info and photos of fine looking one bedroom apartments, great location and ocean views from $65/night. Considering a basic boring hotel room is at least twice the price, apartments are definitely the way to go.

Trippleecks
06-06-08, 13:24
Bigsmile.... there have been so many stories about gringomanagement they have there own section on these boards...

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2478

Sunset Strip
06-06-08, 17:33

Is he any good? Are his apartments good? Is there anybody else I should consider? Any experiences, good or bad?

Try apartment 100 A, it is on the 12th floor so you hear little street noise. The views of Copacabana are awesome. Lots of people complain about being put in a different apartment when they get to RIo. Just make sure you clear it with David that you want the exact apartment, #100A, that was pictured.
Everything should be fine.

TJ

Piper1
06-08-08, 23:54
try apartment 100 a, it is on the 12th floor so you hear little street noise. the views of copacabana are awesome. lots of people complain about being put in a different apartment when they get to rio. just make sure you clear it with david that you want the exact apartment, #100a, that was pictured.
everything should be fine.

tji was tempted by 100a after seeing this post, and checked it out, but i left it to david at gringomanagement to recommend a suitable place after telling him my requirements. i'm happy with his recommendation - looks good. clean and roomy one bedroom apartment, close to the action, great beach views, high-speed internet, and excellent value at $70/night. his service has been efficient and professional.

funkignitor - i've read many good reviews of gringomanagement. i've also seen many roaches at five-star hotels. i'll admit, they were probably better-dressed than the roaches at the two-star hotels. ;)

Sunset Strip
06-13-08, 01:02
Piper 1,

I am glad it worked out for you. Please leave a report on the Gringo thread when you return from your trip.

TJ

Breast Is Best
07-01-08, 22:11
This news just in....paying $2000+ a night for room at the new Fasano in Rio does not mean you can get a 'friend' into the room..sister hotel in Sampa abides by no such silliness.

I have found that when one travels the world the wannabe hotels generally have a no 'guests' policy but once you start paying proper money, generally they do not question the company you keep. Here in Rio its not the case.

They did though handle it with the utmost tact and discretion which I admired. And fair enough, not I know I'll play the game.

And in fact my order was something of a 'prawn' ie you'd need to pull the head off but you could eat the body..so they probably did me a favour.

Looks like its LHuomo for me this eve.

Piper1
07-16-08, 02:32
a few guys have been asking about the apartment i'm staying in, so here's some info (i'll post some photos when i get the chance).

it's a great one-bedroom beach-front apartment, ninth-floor, with magnificent beach views and street views from the living room and bedroom, at us$70/night. i don't understand why someone would pay us150 to 300/night to stay in a glum hotel blocks away from the beach instead. the apartment is bright and airy with polished wooden floors (i keep the windows open to let the fresh sea-breeze in, as i'm a smoker who will always give up tomorrow ;)). plus i love the sounds of the waves crashing away and the busy nightlife outside. it's a very clean apartment, recently renovated and freshly painted. the bathroom is also newly-tiled and clean. non-stop gas-burner hot water with good shower-pressure, and the deep bath has jacuzzi-jets (i haven't tried it yet - only the shower).

the separate bedroom is spacious, wth a great comfortable double bed. it also has a slide-out spare double bed underneath if another person needs it. i took the large wall-mirror off the living room wall and set it up next to the bed for a bit of extra viewing pleasure when i have a girl over. living area is comfortable with a couple of sofas, a table and chairs, tv with international cable channels and a cd player. free high-speed internet. the kitchen is good, with all the necessities - fridge, stove/oven, microwave, cooking utensils, plates and cutlery.

excellent service from david who runs gringomanagement.com. i'm aware of the criticisms by a couple of members a long time ago, and i read the relevant thread thoroughly. on balance, there were many more compliments by many members about his service, and i liked the look of the apartment after checking many places out on various sites, so decided to go with it. i'm happy i did. while asking about rio accommodation recommendations on isg a few weeks ago, i received several pms from senior members who have used david's apartments saying it's a good service.

also great service from people who work with david. as i mentioned in an earlier report, bruno the driver was at the airport to meet me despite a three-hour flight delay (i had emailed david in transit from paris about the delay, and he informed bruno, who then checked the new arrival time on the internet). i had to laugh when i arrived as bruno was chatting up a girl at the waiting area. i'm sure he's popular with the girls. edna who does the maid service left me an extra bunch of clean towels and sheets at reception this morning upon my request, to get me through the week.

(funny side-story - i didn't collect the towels and sheets from reception all day, and just a few minutes ago, there was a knock on the door, i opened it, and there was a beautiful young brazilian girl about 20 y.o., holding my bag of towels and sheets, with a big smile and speaking portugese fast loud and happy. i couldn't understand her, and i told her "sorry, i speak inglese", then a middle-aged american guy came to the door and told me reception gave the towels to him by mistake as he's in the next apartment. he's a lucky guy - she was hot!)

security is very good - antonio the night doorman keeps a watch on the place, and unlocks the front security door only for known residents and guests. he's very friendly and a great guy - politely greeting me and my new girl each night with a big smile. :)

there are many shops and restaurants within 30 seconds walk (one of the best restaurants for seafood in copacabana is at the base of the building). and of course, it's less than four minutes walk to help, mp, and easy access to many other hotspots. plenty of taxis around. the other residents seem to be mainly local long-term tenants (i've only met a few - very friendly people). only downside is there is no safe, so if you have valuables with you, you'll need to be creative hiding them when you bring girls home.

overall, an excellent quality place to stay, perfect location, damn cheap, and excellent service. photos later.

Piper1
07-19-08, 19:32
Here are some photos of the apartment I'm staying in. It's not a five-star hotel, but a great pad in a great location, and very good value. See report below for info. More info on gringomanagement.com (it's Apt #103 on the website).

Sunset Strip
07-20-08, 19:07
This was a nice pad. Is it near Rua Miguel Lemos? How much?

Check www.gringomanagement.com. This is apartment 103B on the Copacabana 1Br link. The price is listed on the site. As is the location.

Thanks for the report piper.

TJ

Bubba Boy
07-22-08, 19:21
For those that don't know, there is a whole thread on Gringo Management. For every 2 comments there is 1 complaint.

http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?p=693802#post693802

Piper1
07-22-08, 23:32
For those that don't know, there is a whole thread on Gringo Management. For every 2 comments there is 1 complaint.
That's strange. It didn't take me long to read the whole thread to do a quick count of the many complimenters versus the few complainers. I counted 18 happy customers vs. 3 repetitive complainers.

Amongst all the chit-chat on the thread, I counted 18 members who actually used gringomanagement, and all recommended the service - but only five complainers. Two of the complainers had only one post each - years ago - and were probably cowardly fake-usernames in the heat of the argument. So let's call it only three complainers, in the early days of the service.

I'm happy I went with the many recommendations from members who actually used gringomanagement and posted about it (and those PMd me). I don't know David, and I have no vested interest, but the apartment and service were excellent, and very good value.

I respect your great contributions to the Rio threads, but c'mon man - fair is fair.

Bubba Boy
07-23-08, 14:41
I respect your great contributions to the Rio threads, but c'mon man - fair is fair.

fair is fair? Let it go? I wrote a 1 line reply informing people that there is a whole thread for this guy basically hinting that, that is where all posts in regards to this guy should be hosted.

I will reply further to your post in the correct thread.

Piper1
07-23-08, 15:10
fair is fair? Let it go? I wrote a 1 line reply informing people that there is a whole thread for this guy basically hinting that, that is where all posts in regards to this guy should be hosted.Plus inaccurate comments about the number of complainers.

Maybe time to let an old grudge from years go die. Keep up the great informational reports on Rio! Has to be one of my favorite destinations so far (I'll be back - for much longer next time).

Ryjerrob
07-28-08, 02:10
I've previously mentioned the language school where I took classes last Christmas/New Year's. One of the housing options that the school offers is a private apartment. I was told that the rates were going up, but the web site shows rates of $375 USD for a week. As long as you take classes, you can get an apartment w/o paying the inflated high season prices. Something to check into..................www.bridgeabroad.com

ryjer

Jamaicanceo
08-04-08, 07:10
When I was in Copacabana last March 2008. I got a great deal from this website. I will use this website again.

http://www.staynbrazil.com

Ejam06
08-12-08, 04:47
Any ever heard or use Brazil4rent for an apartment in Rio?

Retzius
08-12-08, 17:58
I am heading to Rio in a few weeks. I'll be staying in town for two nights, then heading to Buzios for a few days then coming back to Rio for 4 more nights. I'm probably going to stay in a hotel in Rio the first two nights (Atlantico copa maybe) and then get an apartment for the second set.

Do you guys think I'll be able to find something available while I'm there during the first chunk of time? That is, will it be possible to find a place with on a Saturday for the following weekend? Will any agents even be working on a Saturday? Or should I just take some chances and book it before I leave?

Jan 156
08-12-08, 20:17
I am heading to Rio in a few weeks. I'll be staying in town for two nights, then heading to Buzios for a few days then coming back to Rio for 4 more nights. I'm probably going to stay in a hotel in Rio the first two nights (Atlantico copa maybe) and then get an apartment for the second set.

Do you guys think I'll be able to find something available while I'm there during the first chunk of time? That is, will it be possible to find a place with on a Saturday for the following weekend? Will any agents even be working on a Saturday? Or should I just take some chances and book it before I leave?

That's a hectic schedule - enjoy!

Taking an apartment for only four days is a bit of a toss-up as many agents won't do that short a let. But if you pay a bit more it shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't taken part in the 'Gringo Management' debate, but one thing he does offer is short let. There will be plenty of aparttments all over - it's just finding one you like and getting the price and agreement right. If you book ahead (ie over the phone or internet) you have less options and bargaining power, so good for you if you manage to fit it in in person on your first sojourn.

I don't know if you know Rio or not. If you are staying near Help, the agencies there are very visible but expect to bargain. If you are staying nearer the Leme end of Copa, I think the better ones (more business-like, less need for haggling) are along that part of Rua Barata Riberiro.

Retzius
08-12-08, 22:17
That's a hectic schedule - enjoy!

I haven't taken part in the 'Gringo Management' debate, but one thing he does offer is short let. There will be plenty of aparttments all over - it's just finding one you like and getting the price and agreement right. If you book ahead (ie over the phone or internet) you have less options and bargaining power, so good for you if you manage to fit it in in person on your first sojourn.

I don't know if you know Rio or not. If you are staying near Help, the agencies there are very visible but expect to bargain. If you are staying nearer the Leme end of Copa, I think the better ones (more business-like, less need for haggling) are along that part of Rua Barata Riberiro.Christopherd,

Thanks much. I have never been to Rio before but I've traveled in Amazonas several times. This is my first time taking this kind of "adventure" vacation, but I speak a bit of Portuguese, so I'm looking forward to good times.

I've gotten a few potential leads on apts from rentaflatinrio and EZ-Rio Rentals. They don't seem to object to the short stay, but don't have a big selection for me. I'll look into the gringo management site too. I was leaning towards Ipanema for the apartment rather than Copa. I've heard lots of people say it's just nicer to stay there, even if you're going out in Copa at night. I thought I might see how I feel about that after the two nights in the Atlantico.

My real dilemma is that I'm torn between having my arrangements all made in advance (not having to worry on that first Saturday) and having some freedom to pick a place once I'm there. I don't need to haggle over a few reais, especially for only four nights. I'm mostly concerned about finding a hassle-free decent place, good internet for last minute researches, and with a good location. The leads I've seen are studios for under 100$US per night, which seems pretty good to me. Would I really get much better of a price in person?

Thanks for your input, I'll be sure to write up a report when I've had my fun.

Jan 156
08-13-08, 07:02
For what it's worth, my own personal opinion/experience is not primarily about the few reis you might save but about avoiding probs. Sometimes even things the person renting it hasn't spotted. To be honest though, you could just be lucky. And it's only for a day or two. I'm PM-ing you a guy with aptos all over who I know is honest and has a large number of aptos. But like most agents he doesn't have x-ray vision and necessarily know if everything is perfect if the last tenant covered something up. He will, however, try to move you somewhere else if you're not happy (I've rented several aptos from him over the years if that helps).

Ipa is 'nicer', more upmarket, especially if you don't have to budget too hard. It's slightly further away from everywhere else as you can see on the maps and has no underground train stops, but that's not a problem if you avoid travelling in rush hour. It's a posher beach, upmarket restaurants and shops and nice for a stroll to Lagoa. Copa has p4p slightly more 'on tap' and on your doorstep, but if you've done your research you'll have more fun than you can fit in wherever you stay. :-)

btw if you end up not having good internet in your room, Copa especially is very well supplied with internet cafes.

Christopherd,

Thanks much. I have never been to Rio before but I've traveled in Amazonas several times. This is my first time taking this kind of "adventure" vacation, but I speak a bit of Portuguese, so I'm looking forward to good times.

I've gotten a few potential leads on apts from rentaflatinrio and EZ-Rio Rentals. They don't seem to object to the short stay, but don't have a big selection for me. I'll look into the gringo management site too. I was leaning towards Ipanema for the apartment rather than Copa. I've heard lots of people say it's just nicer to stay there, even if you're going out in Copa at night. I thought I might see how I feel about that after the two nights in the Atlantico.

My real dilemma is that I'm torn between having my arrangements all made in advance (not having to worry on that first Saturday) and having some freedom to pick a place once I'm there. I don't need to haggle over a few reais, especially for only four nights. I'm mostly concerned about finding a hassle-free decent place, good internet for last minute researches, and with a good location. The leads I've seen are studios for under 100$US per night, which seems pretty good to me. Would I really get much better of a price in person?

Thanks for your input, I'll be sure to write up a report when I've had my fun.

Up and Cummer
08-13-08, 08:32
I am arriving in Rio on Fri the 22nd of Aug (this month). Me and my brother are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in Rio in Copa or very near Copa. I would appreciate any regular members or vets recommend a place or refer one to me. We don't have to be beachfront but want to be less than walking distance away. Prefferably someplace roomy and clean. Maybe a jacuzzi? Feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks in advance,

U&C

For what it's worth, my own personal opinion/experience is not primarily about the few reis you might save but about avoiding probs. Sometimes even things the person renting it hasn't spotted. To be honest though, you could just be lucky. And it's only for a day or two. I'm PM-ing you a guy with aptos all over who I know is honest and has a large number of aptos. But like most agents he doesn't have x-ray vision and necessarily know if everything is perfect if the last tenant covered something up. He will, however, try to move you somewhere else if you're not happy (I've rented several aptos from him over the years if that helps).

Ipa is 'nicer', more upmarket, especially if you don't have to budget too hard. It's slightly further away from everywhere else as you can see on the maps and has no underground train stops, but that's not a problem if you avoid travelling in rush hour. It's a posher beach, upmarket restaurants and shops and nice for a stroll to Lagoa. Copa has p4p slightly more 'on tap' and on your doorstep, but if you've done your research you'll have more fun than you can fit in wherever you stay. :-)

btw if you end up not having good internet in your room, Copa especially is very well supplied with internet cafes.

Exec Talent
08-13-08, 10:56
You are much better off renting an apartment from a company with a real in Rio presence. There are agencies who love nothing better than for you to rent from a few pictures on the internet and then turn you over to a non-English speaking Brazilian once you arrive in Rio. Easy money for them, little service for the renter. That is one way rental companies get a well-deserved bad reputation.

If they are too lazy (or don't have a real onsite representative) to show you a few apartments, imagine if something goes wrong and you need service.

Some guys are all about taking a gringo's money, but provide little management.

Exec Talent
08-14-08, 04:29
I am arriving in Rio on Fri the 22nd of Aug (this month). Me and my brother are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in Rio in Copa or very near Copa. I would appreciate any regular members or vets recommend a place or refer one to me. We don't have to be beachfront but want to be less than walking distance away. Prefferably someplace roomy and clean. Maybe a jacuzzi? Feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks in advance,

U&C

My brother and I ...

Since you want to be less than walking distance away, is it safe to assume that you plan to drink a lot and maybe within crawling distance will do?

Try:
www.amerioca.net
www.ez-riorentals.com
www.rioapartments.com

All three are onsite in Rio and receive very few complaints from forum members.

Off Road
08-17-08, 09:02

Thanks in advance,

U&Cwww.rioapartments.com will give you good service and is very honest.

Sperto
08-17-08, 22:16
www.rioapartments.com will give you good service and is very honest.
I agree. Very good service.

Lupocattivo
08-24-08, 17:17
Hi,

The best motel/moteis (no hotel) in Copacabana or Ipanema and surroundings?

Tks!

Exec Talent
08-27-08, 21:22
Renter has agreed to leave current apartment at noon and new apartment is not available until 6:00 PM. Apartment rental company, not the renters of the new apartment, offers the renter another apartment to stay in during the interim and even helps him move his bags. Apartment Rental Company: http://www.thewonderfulcity.com/ - agent: Fred

Renter does not have internet connection in new apartment and it will take several days to hookup. Apartment rental company, not renters of the apartment, arrange for a 3G internet connection and charge a very reasonable rate. Apartment Rental Company: www.amerioca.net – agent: Ken

At the last minute renter needs apartment, apartment rental company owner personally cleans just vacated apartment to accommodate renter. Apartment Rental Company: www.copaapartments.com – agent: Dieine

Renter buys a 10 day Carnaval package but is only staying 7 days. On the 7th day at 2:00 PM renter is told he must leave the apartment even though he paid for that day and 3 more days. Reason – rental company double-booked the apartment. Apartment Rental Company: www.gringomanagement.com – agent: David

There are good companies and bad ones. You may be one of the few lucky renters who has a good experience with a bad one, but why take a chance.

Lorenzo
08-28-08, 16:11
I have recommended the Sheraton Towers on Avenida Niemeyer many times on this forum. After what happened yesterday, no more. I arrived in Rio at 740 AM after an overnight flight from the US, and arrived at the about 900 AM with a 6-day reservation. As in most hotels, the check in time was 300PM, but as I was checking in I asked the reservations clerk if a room was available now. He said that there was, but that there was an early check in charge of US$90 if the early checkin was before 1130AM and US$60 if it was between 1130AM and 300PM! I said that this was unacceptable and asked to speak to the manager.

My heart sank when I saw that the manager was a woman. Call me sexist if you want, but I have found that woman are far more difficult to deal with than men in cases like this. They seem to have no understanding of things like the value of creating goodwill, rewarding customer loyalty, and the like. Anyway, I thought I´d give it a try. I explained that I was a repeat customer and had stayed there 3 times previously. I further pointed out that in every hotel I have ever stayed in, including the Sheraton on previous occasions, I have been allowed to check in early without charge if a room is available. All this was to no avail. She just kept telling me `we have rules and we have to follow them.`

I then tried to use a little logic and asked how it would be costing the hotel any money to let me check in early. In other words, what was the justification for the charge. She avoided answering the question and kept falling back on the we have rules, etc., mantra. I suppose I was wearing her down, because the ***** finally agreed to let me check in at noon with no charge. Bear in mind that I had had no sleep and badly needed to crash, and that until noon I couldn´t use any of the hotel facilities because I hadn´t checked in.

You may ask why I didn´t just say fuck you and go to another hotel. Bekieve me, I was tempted, but I stayed because I am using a combination of Starwood points and cash for this stay. This allows me to have the room for US$45 per night, including taxes and service charge, plus 16,800 Starwood points, for a room that would normally be US$200 a night.

The reason I am so outraged by this treatment is because, although I can understand this policy if there is no room available, I think it is totally unreasonable to enforce this if there is a vacant room just sitting there. It is costing the hotel nothing and is just a new way to rip the customer off. I have stayed at hotels all over the world and have never been charged for early checkin if a room is available. I am waiting to see if the Sheraton has changed their girl-friendly policy should I decide to bring a garota to my room. We´ll see. Anyway, I am no longer recommending this hotel because I no longer consider them customer friendly.

Lorenzo

Henry R
08-29-08, 06:53
Is this hotel near Ipanema Beach in Rio guest friendly? (If not, can I sneak girls in or bribe the front desk or the bellhop?)

Sperto
08-29-08, 07:31
Is this hotel near Ipanema Beach in Rio guest friendly? (If not, can I sneak girls in or bribe the front desk or the bellhop?)
It's located on Rua Barata Ribeiro 548, close to Rua Raimundo Correia. One block after Santa Clara. It's not very close to Ipanema.

If you want to know if the hotel is girl friendly it's just to email them and ask if they will allow you to have visitors and if so what they will charge. It's a perfectly normal question in Brazil.

I boycott hotels/pousadas that doesn't allow visitors. I hate having to sneak by the staff when entering with a girl. I had my share of wild discussions with night receptionists and security guys.

Brazilians are a funny people. Once in Recife I was paying my bill. They added a "cama extra" fee for a girl who spent the night with me. I told them it was a shame because the girl was menstruated. The staff felt sorry for my bad luck and quickly cancelled the fee.

Ryjerrob
08-29-08, 14:33
She just kept telling me `we have rules and we have to follow them.`

I suppose I was wearing her down, because the ***** finally agreed to let me check in at noon with no charge. Bear in mind that I had had no sleep and badly needed to crash, and that until noon I couldn't use any of the hotel facilities because I hadn't checked in.

You may ask why I didn't just say fuck you and go to another hotel. Believe me, I was tempted, but I stayed because I am using a combination of Starwood points and cash for this stay. This allows me to have the room for US$45 per night, including taxes and service charge, plus 16,800 Starwood points, for a room that would normally be US$200 a night.

Anyway, I am no longer recommending this hotel because I no longer consider them customer friendly.

Lorenzo

1. The fact that she kept using the whole "rules" argument is silly. As a property manager, she is also expected to act as a the goodwill manager. The fact that you wore her down, only shows that it was in her power to make decisions, but she was unwilling.

2. It always feels good to stand up for a principal, especially when it works out in your favor. The sad reality about customer satisfaction is businesses have no clue how many disgruntled customers actually tell their stories to other potential customers. I'm glad you stuck to your guns.

ryjer

Balluba
08-29-08, 15:53
The sad reality about customer satisfaction is businesses have no clue how many disgruntled customers actually tell their stories to other potential customers.

ryjer

In the old days, before forums like this was common, there was a survey that talked about customer satisfaction. If the customer was satisfied, he would tell about the positive experience to 3 persons. If he was not satisfied, he would talk about the negative experience to 11 people.

Ryjerrob
08-29-08, 16:06
In the old days, before forums like this was common, there was a survey that talked about customer satisfaction. If the customer was satisfied, he would tell about the positive experience to 3 persons. If he was not satisfied, he would talk about the negative experience to 11 people.

I think the same is true now. With the internet, everyone has a potential forum to air their grievances, and there are more people available to listen. With mom and pop type of operations, I just try to avoid them. With a large chain, I'll send an email all the way to the CEO, and members of the board. I make a point to tell them that I am sharing my negative experience with friends and family.

ryjer

Rio Bob
08-29-08, 20:12
I think the same is true now. With the internet, everyone has a potential forum to air their grievances, and there are more people available to listen. With mom and pop type of operations, I just try to avoid them. With a large chain, I'll send an email all the way to the CEO, and members of the board. I make a point to tell them that I am sharing my negative experience with friends and family.

ryjer

I once was overcharged by the Debret several hundred dollars on my phone bill. They said I had called Curitiba for 5 hours. I didn't notice the overcharge till I got home. I called them but 2 months later they still didn't refund me my money, they said they lost their phone bill and were waiting for another from the telephone company. I warned them and gave them a date to reimburse me my money. The date passed and I started to post on all travel sites what they had done to me. They received cancellations form people and travel agents as a result of my postings. They sent me an email and that day they reimbursed me my money.

Henry R
08-30-08, 05:37
It's located on Rua Barata Ribeiro 548, close to Rua Raimundo Correia. One block after Santa Clara. It's not very close to Ipanema.

If you want to know if the hotel is girl friendly it's just to email them and ask if they will allow you to have visitors and if so what they will charge. It's a perfectly normal question in Brazil.

I boycott hotels/pousadas that doesn't allow visitors. I hate having to sneak by the staff when entering with a girl. I had my share of wild discussions with night receptionists and security guys.

Brazilians are a funny people. Once in Recife I was paying my bill. They added a "cama extra" fee for a girl who spent the night with me. I told them it was a shame because the girl was menstruated. The staff felt sorry for my bad luck and quickly cancelled the fee.

1) I tried to contact the Bandeirantes Hotel. I went into their website but they did not list an e-mail address. Does anyone know their e-mail address?

2) I looked at Rua Barbara Ribeiro near Santa Clara on a Rio map and it shows that intersection as being about a mile north of Arporador Beach. But the website claims they are only two blocks from Ipanema Beach. Any explanations?

3) Back to my original question. Does anyone know if they are guest friendly?

Sperto
08-30-08, 11:24
1) I tried to contact the Bandeirantes Hotel. I went into their website but they did not list an e-mail address. Does anyone know their e-mail address?
1. http://www.hotelbandeirantes.com.br/
2. "Contact us"
3. There is a contact form to fill in.

I looked at Rua Barbara Ribeiro near Santa Clara on a Rio map and it shows that intersection as being about a mile north of Arporador Beach. But the website claims they are only two blocks from Ipanema Beach. Any explanations?
It says on their website "Two block's away from Brazil's most famous beach". They mean Copacabana and not Ipanema. It also says it 4 km to Ipanema.

Henry R
08-31-08, 06:14
The contact form doesn't seem to be working. I've tried it the last few days.

Exec Talent
08-31-08, 07:18

In light of all the major contributions you have made to this forum, since I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow, I will go to the hotel and find out everything you want to know. Could you please tell us again what it is you are trying to find out? And, be sure to put it in the form of a question.

Henry R
08-31-08, 08:19
In light of all the major contributions you have made to this forum, since I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow, I will go to the hotel and find out everything you want to know. Could you please tell us again what it is you are trying to find out? And, be sure to put it in the form of a question.

I suggest you learn to read.

Sperto
08-31-08, 09:45
I don't know if it's allowed to post their email addresses on the forum, but look at this link and you'll find 4 email addresses to Hotel Bandeirantes:
http://www.redeatlantico.com.br/pt-br/bandeirantes/contato.asp

Exec Talent
08-31-08, 13:54

Yeah, I really suck at that there reading stuff. Rrithmetic too. Just trying to help a prolific poster who over the years has provided forum members countless insights. You seem to be struggling with an inability to reach this particular hotel either via e-mail or phone so I thought I would make a personal visit. Anyhow, got a little busy today. Forgot it was hair day.

Java Man
08-31-08, 18:49

In light of all the major contributions you have made to this forum,.....Could you please tell us again what it is you are trying to find out? And, be sure to put it in the form of a question.

I read,....all 105 post. :)
He's right, most are questions. :(
Perhaps you were unaware. :rolleyes:
Yes, we're brutal on the Rio board. :mad:

As to the Hotel, I don't know, I always stay in apartments. Why limit yourself to 1 GDP? :D

Poucolouco
09-01-08, 01:29
Does anyone know if they are guest friendly?Sure they are.

Exec Talent
09-01-08, 06:10
Originally Posted by Henry R
Does anyone know if they are guest friendly?

Sure they are.

How did I miss that one???

The guests are very friendly. I saw them talking to each other nearly every morning. Though I couldn't figure out why some of the girls had on party clothes at breakfast and seemed a lot younger than their male companions. Like Rio, just a friendly place, I guess.

Any other questions?

Henry R
09-01-08, 06:28
Sure they are.

To Poucolouco. Thanks for the answer. Assuming you are being serious about that hotel allowing guests: Do you know if they charge extra for guests, and how much extra?

Sperto
09-01-08, 07:46
Henry R, we now have 14 posts regarding your question wether Hotel Bandeirantes is girl friendly or not.

Poucolouco told you they are so. If you want to know the fee's it would be very simple to email them (I gave you four emailaddresses).

If they will not allow any visitors you have a motel four blocks away at crossing between Av N S Copacabana and R Bãrao da Ipanema.

Henry R
09-01-08, 08:02
Henry R, we now have 14 posts regarding your question wether Hotel Bandeirantes is girl friendly or not.

Poucolouco told you they are so. If you want to know the fee's it would be very simple to email them (I gave you four emailaddresses).

If they will not allow any visitors you have a motel four blocks away at crossing between Av N S Copacabana and R Bãrao da Ipanema.

Thanks for counting!

Balluba
09-01-08, 09:16
Thanks for counting!

Henry, it would do no harm to your cause by being a little more careful with some of your answers.

You promote the one question after the other, and You get, from my view a good response from the experienced members.

Still, it is expected that a minimum of computer knowledge, use of google, e-mail and telephone can be had and done, before You ask.

If You compare with a number of other forums, You will observe that the tone of the Brazil forum is generally pleasant and helpful. Not as in a number of other forums, as characterized by sarcasm and RTFF attitude above the "new" ones.

Only by reading old reports, I have increased my enjoyment of travel, found useful advices, and avoided making major bloopers.

Several of the experienced members put down a lot of work to help and answer here in the forum as well as in countless PM's. Often, without receiving a "Thank You" in return.

Just a friendly advice,
Balluba

Sperto
09-01-08, 11:22
Thanks for counting!
You're welcome.

If you need help again you better push the button below.

Henry R
09-02-08, 06:36
Henry, it would do no harm to your cause by being a little more careful with some of your answers.

You promote the one question after the other, and You get, from my view a good response from the experienced members.

Still, it is expected that a minimum of computer knowledge, use of google, e-mail and telephone can be had and done, before You ask.

If You compare with a number of other forums, You will observe that the tone of the Brazil forum is generally pleasant and helpful. Not as in a number of other forums, as characterized by sarcasm and RTFF attitude above the "new" ones.

Only by reading old reports, I have increased my enjoyment of travel, found useful advices, and avoided making major bloopers.

Several of the experienced members put down a lot of work to help and answer here in the forum as well as in countless PM's. Often, without receiving a "Thank You" in return.

Just a friendly advice,
Balluba

Balluba:

Thanks for the response. I did hear from the hotel and found out that they do charge extra for guest visitors, so I won't go to that hotel. Much of what you write makes sense. Except for the part where you write that most of the people writing here on this forum are nice and pleasant and are not sarcastic. You can't have read this entire thread and actually believe that. But I am not talking about you - I do thank you sincerely for your answer! This will absolutely be my last post concerning this thread.

Off Road
09-02-08, 13:21
I did hear from the hotel and found out that they do charge extra for guest visitors, so I won't go to that hotel. I think you will find that almost ALL of the hotels will charge extra for a girl to come to your room. That is why most rent apartments.
When you are asking of a hotel is guest friendly, are you asking if you can bring in a GDP for free? The blanket answer is pretty much NO. It is more of a queston if you can bring them in at all.

Elkefaylepeep
09-06-08, 06:31
Forgive me if I'm missing some previous report or FAQ, but I can't seem to find anything about experiences with bringing a lady friend to the room in this Centro hotel -- any advice would be greatly appreciated. The reviews are good, and the price is reasonable, but if company in the evening is going to be a hassle, then I'll have to look elsewhere

(If there is a compilation of girl-friendly hotels in Rio posted somewhere, I'd appreciate someone providing the URL.)

Failing that, any hotel recommendations in Centro? I will have business there during the day every weekday for the two weeks I'll be there, so Copa or Ipanema would not be very convenient. Windsor Asturias is a short walk tomy business appointments, and close to the metro, so the beach is in reach.)

Thanks!

Exec Talent
09-08-08, 20:04
The reason I am writing this is quite simple. I really hate to see people get taken and scammed. In Rio there is no shortage of people, especially gringos, who would like nothing more than to separate you from your hard-earned money.

Over the years, I have seen many people buy apartments in Rio. The story usually goes that a guy is coming to Rio year after year and is told by someone (usually the person who has been renting him his apartment) that he should buy an apartment in Rio. It is a great investment. It is, for the real estate agent who is selling it to you and has the hopes of managing it when you are not around.

As I have said, if having an apartment in Rio does something for you, then by all means buy one. However, do not think you are making a good investment. I have seen guys pour a lot of money into apartments in both Copacabana and Ipanema and still for various reasons have what would be considered substandard accommodations in most other cities. Whether it is street noise, shoddy building construction, neighborhood, neighbors, there always seems to be some major distraction.

Balluba
09-08-08, 21:20
The reason I am writing this is quite simple. I really hate to see people get taken and scammed. In Rio there is no shortage of people, especially gringos, who would like nothing more than to separate you from your hard-earned money.

Over the years, I have seen many people buy apartments in Rio. The story usually goes that a guy is coming to Rio year after year and is told by someone (usually the person who has been renting him his apartment) that he should buy an apartment in Rio. It is a great investment. It is, for the real estate agent who is selling it to you and has the hopes of managing it when you are not around.

There is a good tip to avoid paying to much. If the building or condominium are new, ask who are the other buyers. a) If they are mostly foreign, there is a hight risk you are paying way to much compared market price. b) If the buyers are mostly Brazilians, there is a fair chance that You pay a reasonable price. Try to find out what an earlier - other buyers have paid.

Also some rules to follow :
Always check references. Call earlier buyers, did everything go well, did they receive all the paperwork, was the apartment delivered 100% as agreed in advance etc. If there is a red flag coming up, run! Its like when mongering, it will not be better.

Also try to stay in the area in advance. Rent an apartment. Imagine You live there. How are infrastructure like restaurants, food stores, bus and metro ? Are the neighborhood pleasant, not to noisy and safe ? You will face different worries than when You are a regular tourist.

Read as many forums as possible and be basic sceptical.

Lorenzo
09-08-08, 21:48
I think you will find that almost ALL of the hotels will charge extra for a girl to come to your room. That is why most rent apartments.
When you are asking of a hotel is guest friendly, are you asking if you can bring in a GDP for free? The blanket answer is pretty much NO. It is more of a queston if you can bring them in at all.
This is absolutely not true. Most hotels--and I am speaking from experience--will let you bring a girl in if you reserve the room for 2 people. That is the key. You will need to register her, and she will have to show ID and fill out the registration form. Then they will let her in. If you want a list of hotels where I have done this, please let me know.

It is true that some hotels will not allow you to register a SECOND girl; they in effect consider the girl you first registered as your companion for your entire stay. There are ways around this however; just keep the second key and hote identification and give it to subsequent girls to show when they enter the hotel. Just make sure she gives it back to you when you get to the room, and lock it up!

L

Rio Bob
09-09-08, 00:20
This is absolutely not true. Most hotels--and I am speaking from experience--will let you bring a girl in if you reserve the room for 2 people. That is the key. You will need to register her, and she will have to show ID and fill out the registration form. Then they will let her in. If you want a list of hotels where I have done this, please let me know.

It is true that some hotels will not allow you to register a SECOND girl; they in effect consider the girl you first registered as your companion for your entire stay. There are ways around this however; just keep the second key and hote identification and give it to subsequent girls to show when they enter the hotel. Just make sure she gives it back to you when you get to the room, and lock it up!

L

What you're saying surely is true but how much extra does it cost for a double?

Please post the list of hotels and when you stayed there as hotel rules may change from time to time.

On you last stay in Rio at the Sheraton, did you register as a double? Did you ever find a girl to bring back to your hotel this last trip? You were going to tell us if they gave you a hard time or not.

Lorenzo
09-09-08, 05:41
What you're saying surely is true but how much extra does it cost for a double?
At most hotels, nothing. The rate is the same whether you make the reservation for one person or for two. Augusto's was an exception

Please post the list of hotels and when you stayed there as hotel rules may change from time to time.
Miramar, 2000; Debret, 2000-2001; Caesar Park, 2002; Le Meridien, 2003 (now closed); Sheraton Towers, 2004, 2006, 2008; Augusto's Copacabana Hotel, 2004; Atlantico Flat Service (on Rua Santa Clara across from La Maison; really a hotel in spite of the name), 2004.

On you last stay in Rio at the Sheraton, did you register as a double? Did you ever find a girl to bring back to your hotel this last trip? You were going to tell us if they gave you a hard time or not.
Yes, I registered as a double. I didn't exactly bring a girl back, but I had a girl from L'uomo come to the Sheraton after she got off from work; this was at midnight, since it was a Sunday night. She arrived at 12:40. Reception called and told me she had arrived. I told them that she was the second person sharing my room and to please register her and send her up. I told them they didn't need to give her a key since I had gotten two keys when I checked in. They checked her in and sent her up with no problem, and she stayed that night and the next one until I checked out on Tuesday. (In fact, I have some pictures of her but I am reluctant to post them because I don't want to get her in trouble with L'uomo.)

L

Elkefaylepeep
09-09-08, 06:11
Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Hotel Windsor Asturias in Centro, or if not, could suggest any other decent hotels in the Centro area.

Thanks!

Rio Lover #2
09-09-08, 11:24
forgive me if i'm missing some previous report or faq, but i can't seem to find anything about experiences with bringing a lady friend to the room in this centro hotel -- any advice would be greatly appreciated. the reviews are good, and the price is reasonable, but if company in the evening is going to be a hassle, then i'll have to look elsewhere

(if there is a compilation of girl-friendly hotels in rio posted somewhere, i'd appreciate someone providing the url.)

failing that, any hotel recommendations in centro? i will have business there during the day every weekday for the two weeks i'll be there, so copa or ipanema would not be very convenient. windsor asturias is a short walk tomy business appointments, and close to the metro, so the beach is in reach.)

thanks!

elkefaylepeep,

i don' t know about the windsor asturias, but the windsor hoteis in copacabana are not girl friendly anymore. there were no problems until 2003; then they changed their policy.
maybe check with the hotel, ask them about it.

rl

Rio Bob
09-09-08, 13:25
At most hotels, nothing. The rate is the same whether you make the reservation for one person or for two. Actually many hotels I have come across especially 3 star(including the Debret) do charge extra for a double especially if they are serving breakfast and it is included in the rate. Usually the extra fee is similar to a garota charge. Augusto's was an exception

Miramar, 2000; Not girl friendly since 2002, I stayed one day and moved out.

Debret, 2000-2001 Not girl friendly since 2004, I stayed here many times when it was, they charged extra for a double and I knew the whole staff of the hotel well.;

Caesar Park, 2002 Never been girl friendly unless you sneak her in like you do.Who needs this?;

Le Meridien, 2003 (now closed)irrelevant but were they girl friendly or did you have to sneak them in? ;

Sheraton Towers, 2004, 2006, 2008 From 1980 to 1987 I flew to Rio 35 times, must have stayed here 25 times with the Pan Am flight crew, it wasn't girl friendly then, had to sneak them in, good to see things have changed;

Augusto's Copacabana Hotel, 2004;

Atlantico Flat Service I know this place it is an ApartHotel so really different rules, girl friendly(on Rua Santa Clara across from La Maison; really a hotel in spite of the name), 2004.
L

I see your point, my responses in RED

Elkefaylepeep
09-09-08, 16:57
Rio Lover #2

Thanks! I did e-mail them directly, more than a week ago, but as yet no reply. I also e-mailed some Ladies who I'd like to see and who speak English, and I just got a three responses yesterday and today, but not much help:

Response #1

"I can meet you in your hotel or in another hotel!!!"

Response #2

"Every hotels of Windsor are a little problematic in accepting visitors."

Response #3

"The Windsor Hotel is good for me."

I'm following up on some apartments in the Centro Area, but making sure that they allow guests as part of my request. Hopefully that will work out, as the Windsor Asturias may not be a reliable spot for fun with the GDP's.

Thanks again!

Lorenzo
09-09-08, 22:01
I see your point, my responses in RED
Caesar Park and the (now defunct) Meridien were girl friendly if you register the girl. At Caesar Park I not only registered a girl but I snuck another one in during the day while my main squeeze was occupied--rather easily, I might add.

You're right about the Debret charging extra for doubles; I had forgotten about that. That hotel used to be a monger's paradise: girl friendly, and you could get an ocean front suite for US$70, including breakfast. Now it is no longer girl friendly but, last time I checked, it was almost as expensive as the Sheraton. Avoid it.

I have said repeatedly on this forum, but I'll say it again: if you want to bring a girl into an upscale hotel, the most important thing is that she not look like a prostitute. So be selective in who you bring back.

Of course, the Mt. Everest of hotels is the Copacabana Palace. I don't recall anyone ever posting that he had successfully brought a girl into that hotel. I've never stayed there, primarily because I don't relish shelling out upwards of US$400 for a room with a city view. But who knows; if my doctor tells me I have terminal cancer and have six months to live, I may book a penthouse there and try to bring a girl in. But until then, I'll have to decide where to stay on my next trip. I'm considering the Pestana.

L

Rio Lover #2
09-09-08, 22:28
just wondering if anyone had any experience with the hotel windsor asturias in centro, or if not, could suggest any other decent hotels in the centro area.

thanks!

a friend of mine stayed at the ibis hotel in centro and told me he did'nt have any problems there. look on the site of accor hotels.

send them anyhow a mail with your requests.

rl

Balluba
09-09-08, 22:38
. But who knows; if my doctor tells me I have terminal cancer and have six months to live, I may book a penthouse there and try to bring a girl in.But until then, I'll have to decide where to stay on my next trip. I'm considering the Pestana.
L

Lorenzo, Pestana would be the loveliest place to die in the world. How beautiful!
B

Bubba Boy
09-11-08, 00:09
I got a girl into the Copacabana Palace, do I win a prize?

On my first few trips I stayed at the Palace. One night a brought a girl home and they of course were not to happy about it. I asked for the manager, we talked, I explained it was a long term girlfriend. After a discussion of about 5 minutes he finally agreed to let her stay as long as she was signed in. He explained to me in very clear terms that once she is signed in I will be responsible for what charges are billed to the room and she will be free to come and go whether I was in or not. She stayed about 3 days and that was that. I did know the girl from a previous trip. I paid her nothing from memory.

Also from memory, it was only about $250 per night back then if booked over the internet. I was also not that impressed by the rooms, they needed to be renovated, very tired. I also stayed at the Marriot, that was about $175 at the time and much nicer. This was about 5 years ago.

Lorenzo
09-11-08, 22:20
I got a girl into the Copacabana Palace, do I win a prize?

On my first few trips I stayed at the Palace. One night a brought a girl home and they of course were not to happy about it. I asked for the manager, we talked, I explained it was a long term girlfriend. After a discussion of about 5 minutes he finally agreed to let her stay as long as she was signed in. He explained to me in very clear terms that once she is signed in I will be responsible for what charges are billed to the room and she will be free to come and go whether I was in or not. She stayed about 3 days and that was that. I did know the girl from a previous trip. I paid her nothing from memory.

Also from memory, it was only about $250 per night back then if booked over the internet. I was also not that impressed by the rooms, they needed to be renovated, very tired. I also stayed at the Marriot, that was about $175 at the time and much nicer. This was about 5 years ago.
Maybe not a prize, but a commendation. You stood your ground and prevailed. Good for you!

Tmes have changed. The cheapest rate I have been able to find at the Copa Palace is US$382 a night, plus taxes and service fees, for a city view. I refuse to pay this much on principle.

Your experience confirms what I have been saying for q while, that the difficulty of getting a girl into an upscale hotel is considerably lessened by just checking her in as if she were your wife or long term GF.

Bubba Boy
09-12-08, 04:19
It would be very difficult to sneak a girl into the Copa Palace. They have security on every entrance as well as stationed at the elevators in both buildings. My rate was for an ocean front room, just after March from memory. The Marriot would be relatively easy, there are very few noticeable security, we just walked passed everybody, no body said anything.

SlimHoleDrill
09-12-08, 04:40
just wondering if anyone had any experience with the hotel windsor asturias in centro, or if not, could suggest any other decent hotels in the centro area.

thanks!

i didn't try, but i would bet that it is a big problem - read that "no way". windsor in copacabana, it is impossible, although, i did manage it one time with a terma girl who met me around noon and we just walked in, but with big, big stares from the security guys. she was dressed like a gf so they didn't really know what to do. i had a friend try to bring a help girl in, tried everything at 2 am, absolutely no way. rumor is that something bad happened in the past, some guy threw a girl out of a window or something like that. i can't remember exactly.

i stayed in the asturias, and the setup is very strict. security guys at the doors, you have to go right by the front desk, so i would guess no way.

in that same area, there are many hotels that probably are gf. can't give you any names though.

Sprite13
09-13-08, 05:14
I just booked the deluxe ocean view suite at the Rio Othon Palace for the entire week of Carnaval for $650 through connections and my private membership! While the cheapest I could find was about $3700 from the Othons official site which comes to just about $740 per night and I got it for the entire week for $650!!!! Jumping for joy right now!!!:)

My question is this: how easy is it to bring in girls during Carnaval time at the Othon Palace? Is it girl friendly at all or it is a strict no-no?

Shemp
09-13-08, 06:59
The money you saved on your hotel will be spent at termas and renting rooms at love motels because the hotel will not allow unregistered guests in the rooms. In reception and the bar/restaurants yes, but not in the rooms.

Bubba Boy
09-13-08, 10:52
I just booked the deluxe ocean view suite at the Rio Othon Palace for the entire week of Carnaval for $650 through connections and my private membership! While the cheapest I could find was about $3700 from the Othons official site which comes to just about $740 per night and I got it for the entire week for $650!!!! Jumping for joy right now!!!:)

My question is this: how easy is it to bring in girls during Carnaval time at the Othon Palace? Is it girl friendly at all or it is a strict no-no?

I had a beer with a guy there in the lobby, he commented that you can't bring girls into the O Palace. Hopefully some one else will confirm this - comments anybody.

Btw, good deal.

Elkefaylepeep
09-13-08, 19:50
Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the Windsor Asturias is a no-go, so I have booked the Hotel Ibis in Centro. I have a number of indications that it will be all right, and since I will mostly be seeing escorts, they usually have their ways of getting admitted to a hotel, unless the rules are absolute.

If all else fails, 4x4 is nearby, and there are "love hotels" in the area as well, but I hope that the Ibis works out.

I'll report back on how things go (early November visit) with the hotel as well as the ladies.

Thanks again!

Paxsie
09-17-08, 03:57
Hey guys. We will be going to Rio for the first time in November, for 5 nights. I tried to contact gringomanagement, but no replies. I was wondering, has anyone had experience with http://www.helpapartments.com/ ? If there's any other way to get a 2-bedroom apartment please let me know as well. Thanks a bunch guys.

JohnnyBraz
09-17-08, 09:26
Hey guys. We will be going to Rio for the first time in November, for 5 nights. I tried to contact gringomanagement, but no replies. I was wondering, has anyone had experience with http://www.helpapartments.com/ ? If there's any other way to get a 2-bedroom apartment please let me know as well. Thanks a bunch guys.Yes I have used them on my last 2 trips, there site is actually rentflatinrio.com or riopenthouses.com I have found them to be among the best that I have used, also the man who runs it, has moved to Rio permanetly from the netherlands. Adriaan is a nice man, who will go out off his way to find the apartment that suits your needs and budget.

Oceans Latobay
09-27-08, 20:36
Has anyone on this board rented from Richard or Ric from www.Ezrio.com?
I'm about to put down a deposit(through paypal) on a apartment for the 1st nights rent for a stay of four days in Ipanema. I spoke with him and he seems cool and has sent me a paypal link and the apartment looks great! I just want to make sure I'm dealing with a reputible management agent.

I originally contacted him about a rental advertised on vacation rentals/home away but that place wasn't available but he told me he has another place and I like it even better!

In my travels to Cartagena I've dealt with the same person who was vouched for (Juan & Mery) so I want to see if someone can vouch for him on this forum for the newbies 1st trip to Rio! Here are some more of his links below.

http://www.ezrio.com/riobootypalace/
http://www.ezrio.com/apartmentipanema/apartment_ipanema.html
http://www.villa4vacation.com/rentals-mobile/444126.aspx

So if anyone can please let me know if they have dealt with this guy before it would be much appreaciated! Thanks!

Perkele
09-28-08, 16:12
I'd never pay anything upfront for an apartment in Brasil.

Even foreigners who do "business" here have adapted lot of odd ways to do the business.

You may end up in a situation where you lose your money or you won't get what you bargained for.

Its like with ho's, see first and pay later.

Oralover
09-29-08, 17:20
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any suggestions on long term rentals. I am thinking of renting an apartment for a couple of months. Unfortunatley it will be mid-nov to mid-jan, so I will get caught in the new years' madness.

Some rental agencies said that they don't deal with long term rentals.

Exec Talent
10-10-08, 14:44
The apartment rental market is very soft right now and I doubt even during high season that it will get much better. If you are worried about your job, 401K or don't have money to exchange, the rate doesn't matter.

I have rented with most of the rental agencies in Rio. There are a few to avoid (well documented here) and some that receive consistently high reviews.

In alphabetical order, I recommend:

www.amerioca.net
www.copaapartments.com
www.ez-riorentals.com
www.rioapartments.com

Unlike some, who are just out to take your money (and rip off owners) they all have onsite English speaking agents and customer service after the rental.

When you rent an apartment, always ask for a receipt. Honest companies will not have any problem giving you one. The dishonest one will do everything to avoid it. Also, my understanding in Brazil is that it is the law.

Oceans Latobay
10-16-08, 00:38
I had a friend that stayed in a place in Rio and upon checkout the apartment manager said a chess set, drink shaker and a towel was missing from the apartment. My friend did not take anything and didnt even use a drink shaker (he doesnt drink) or play chess and none of the girls he had in his room swiped the items either.

The manager wants to charge him for the items missing but my friend believes they were probably missing upon check-in from the last guest and that they just didn't check throughly when the last guest left. The manager wants him to pay $125 US to replace the missing items via Paypal.

The manager said he will submit a damage and theft report along with his passport to the local immigration/consular office and delegacia, exactly as hotels do and make sure he will get denied his next visa to brazil. He said there is a preset/electronic form that takes 10 minutes to fill out. He said that the bureaucracy would be such that even by paying the damage after he files it would take two years to clear up his record in the Brazilian system.

He said in addtion to his report, there would be pictures, and the written testimony of two Brazilian citizens against my friend. He said his name would get shared among all real estate agencies in Rio, and this will block him from renting anything in copa or ipanema.

Can this apartment manager really do this? My friend didn't take anything and feels like is being extorted. Should he take these threats seriously or should he just forget about it? He's already back in Chicago but doesnt want his Visa being messed with or for this to effect his future visits but he also doesnt want to be taken for a fool(he has a 5-year visa). Please Advise...

Sperto
10-16-08, 08:02
Can this apartment manager really do this? My friend didn't take anything and feels like is being extorted. Should he take these threats seriously or should he just forget about it?
I wouldn't pay if I knew that I/my guests didn't take the missing items. No way.

Normal procedure would be that the agency settle this on the departure day when receiving the key/checking the apartment before giving back the deposit.

I think the threat of reporting him is pure BS. Your friend should just forget about the whole thing and not worry.

Which agency did he rent from?

David68
10-16-08, 08:46
I wouldn't pay if I knew that I/my guests didn't take the missing items. No way.

Normal procedure would be that the agency settle this on the departure day when receiving the key/checking the apartment before giving back the deposit.

I think the threat of reporting him is pure BS. Your friend should just forget about the whole thing and not worry.

Which agency did he rent from?I am also curios as to which agency he used. After numerous trips to Brazil this is the first apt i have had to make a deposit.

Perkele
10-16-08, 11:20
I agree with Sperto. First of all there is no nationwide system for immigration. If you come to Brasil in Rio they don't know in Sao Paulo and vice versa. Actually they don't like if you enter in one city and leave from another. If I'm not wrong in a case like that they need to inform to the entering point that you have exited the country. Also I have not heard of any red flags in passport checking.

About the missing items. Why didn;t they check the apartment on the day when your friend left? Sounds odd, because its common that one gives a deposit, that will be returned when leaving after checking that apartment is in order.

Just tell your friend to forget and tell him to rent from someone else.

Oceans Latobay
10-16-08, 12:12
No deposit was paid. He just paid the total up front upon arrival and that was it. My friend checked out of the apartment out of the apartment when the cleaning lady arrived because he had to leave at 12pm and later the management emailed him to tell him the items were missing. He paid via paypal on the deposit which doubled as the 1st nights rent so the guy has no information on my friend except his passport information that he made a copy of upon check in. This is the information for the guy Riccardo from www.ezrio.com and the apartment he rents out. My friend has no need to take a drink shaker and a chess set and a dollar bill decoration which are the items in question. He lives very good at home and doesnt travel to steal cheap items from apartments. To top it off the guy had been extremely rude in his emails so my friend really doesnt even want to reason with the guy.

David68
10-16-08, 12:43
The apartment looks like a nice love-nest.

Of course the price is very high. I have actually rented this place twice. Had no problems whatsoever but I didn't have all those options he was talking about that come with the apt.

There are lots of little knick knacks in the apt but nothng I feel someone who can afford to rent the place would steal. Just doesn't make sense. Now when I stayed there was no deposit and no inventory of the goods. Maybe a policy change bt I was just in this Apt in June. Curious what you paid for the apt. One caveat, the ktchen in over run with ants. CANNOT get rid of them. My friends who lives in brail says you just have to deal with them.

Mimzy
10-18-08, 21:03
Listen if you plan to rent or is thinking of renting an apartment please see Don and Ken of Amerioca Tours 55-21-2522-1259 they have been nothing but great help with everything I need the apartment is very very nice and clean.

Don will go of his way to ensure that your needs are met believe me I am a very picky bastard. You can not go wrong using there service I encourage all who are thinking of renting an apartment give them a call the photos are the exact way the apartments look I am renting 406 now and it is a great hit with the ladies I will be requesting this apartment from now on when I visit Rio.

I was having problems with connecting to internet Ken came right over fix me in under 60 seconds way cool the building is very nice very safe doorman have flat screens of all the floors elevators, hallways, inside outside very safe everything is modern in my apartment as well.

I hope I have been of some help to all see you in Rio.

Saint Bart
10-19-08, 22:22
I'm going to be in Ipanema for only one night soon, so rather than taking a condo, I thought a hotel might be simpler.

Anyone know about the current garota policy at the Sol Ipanema?

TIA

Orebell
10-24-08, 23:55
Last time I was in Rio, I went the hotel route. For me next trip, I want to try an apartment. I am looking at this place here.

http://www.rentaflatinrio.com/RIO/COPACABANA/Apartment/2-Bedrooms/CA2B12/57/

First question is has anyone used this company before and if so what was your experience. Second question is if you have used this company before have you stayed in this apartment and what was your experience with it.

I see there are quite a number of apartment rental companies that rent places in Rio. I have read a lot of stuff on them. The reason I picked this company was because I like their site and they responded timely. To me, they have one of the better websites out there. So many sites fall short. This site has pictures, map locations, prices, details about the property, and financial information as well. Not every site has all that. Then when I emailed them, they actually responded timely. I have had a couple that I have sent emails to and they have not responded at all or certainly not very timely.

I know the website and the fact that they responded timely don't mean much of they fall down in other areas like the quality of the apartments or anything else service related.

One last question I have is should I book a hotel room that I can cancel as a backup should things fall apart when I get there with this company? That might be overkill but just wondering. So far I am happy with the way things have went with this company. I like the photos of the apartment, I like the location and the price is ok for me. I also realize that things may not always turn out the way one plans things. Thoughts?

Perkele
10-25-08, 12:33
http://www.aluguetemporada.com.br/rentals/brazil.cfm

Much cheaper. No rip off gringoes in the middle.

Sperto
10-25-08, 14:02
http://www.aluguetemporada.com.br/rentals/brazil.cfm
Not bad, but still too much IMO.
It seems like a good option until you have established some good contacts by yourself.

New To Jax
11-03-08, 19:01
Have any of you stayed at Visconti in Inpanema?

It is a Promenade Aparthotel.

I am wondering if it is girl friendly.

Thanks

JohnnyBraz
11-08-08, 06:10
Last time I was in Rio, I went the hotel route. For me next trip, I want to try an apartment. I am looking at this place here.

http://www.rentaflatinrio.com/RIO/COPACABANA/Apartment/2-Bedrooms/CA2B12/57/

First question is has anyone used this company before and if so what was your experience. Second question is if you have used this company before have you stayed in this apartment and what was your experience with it.

I see there are quite a number of apartment rental companies that rent places in Rio. I have read a lot of stuff on them. The reason I picked this company was because I like their site and they responded timely. To me, they have one of the better websites out there. So many sites fall short. This site has pictures, map locations, prices, details about the property, and financial information as well. Not every site has all that. Then when I emailed them, they actually responded timely. I have had a couple that I have sent emails to and they have not responded at all or certainly not very timely.

I know the website and the fact that they responded timely don't mean much of they fall down in other areas like the quality of the apartments or anything else service related.

One last question I have is should I book a hotel room that I can cancel as a backup should things fall apart when I get there with this company? That might be overkill but just wondering. So far I am happy with the way things have went with this company. I like the photos of the apartment, I like the location and the price is ok for me. I also realize that things may not always turn out the way one plans things. Thoughts?I have used them on numerous occasions, and always had excellent results, you will find that the flat is addriaans own flat. You will not go wrong renting from them, he is also living in Rio permenantly now.

Viper10
11-17-08, 22:57
I am looking for a 6 month rental on an apartment in Rio. Do you guys think I should go throught the normal rental agencies we normally use, or is there another site that does only long term leases? Thanks

Viper10

JohnnyBraz
11-18-08, 08:33
I am looking for a 6 month rental on an apartment in Rio. Do you guys think I should go throught the normal rental agencies we normally use, or is there another site that does only long term leases? Thanks

Viper10I think you should go to Rio first, and look around, book into somewhere for a week, in that time you will have plenty off time to find somewhere that suits you. At good prices, if you are living there for 6 months you want to see the place first and be comfortable with it.

Perkele
11-18-08, 12:19
6 months is regarded as temporary.

If you want to have a "normal" lease on an apartment, especially in Rio, you need to make minimum 3 year contract. Of course by the law you can walk out after one year without any fine.

Major problems that you'll probably will run into is that you'll need CPF, proof of recidence in Brasil, proof of income last 3 - 6 months, proof of your liquid assets (bank statements) of last 3 - 6 months and in most cases a FIADOR. Last is someone who must have property and whom will guarantee that you will pay your rent on time etc. Must be brasilian. So far I have not met anyone that crazy.

Of course there is a slight chance that you find someone who won't require none of the above and will accept 1 - 3 month rent as collateral, but usually those kind of people are really dishonest and you can kiss that collateral goodbye.

Then last but not least the actual contract. You need someone who speaks and READS portuguese fluently, preferably a lawyer. Contracts are usually such that you as a tenant are responsible for any damage in the property, including possible earthquakes, hurricanes and war. All contracts I have seen have always had that part really clear. Tenant is responsible for all, even any structural damage in the building itself. Let's take an example, if a waterpipe ruptures in the apartment, you will pay the repair ALL of it.

Thus I really won't recommend renting an apartment for longer period of time, unless you have a good brasilian lawyer who will do all negotiating for you.

Java Man
11-18-08, 21:56
minimum 3 year contract. Of course by the law you can walk out after one year without any fine....in most cases a FIADOR. Last is someone who must have property and whom will guarantee that you will pay your rent on time etc. Must be brasilian. So far I have not met anyone that crazy.
Of course there is a slight chance that you find someone who won't require none of the above and will accept 1 - 3 month rent as collateral, but usually those kind of people are really dishonest and you can kiss that collateral goodbye.My experience is that all the long term rentals require a 3yr lease AND a Fiador. Very Rarely will a 1-3 month deposit be accepted as collateral. As a gringo, you'll have trouble finding a Fiador. But maybe not too much trouble for a local, as these apartments do not stay vacant.
Ya, you can walk out before the lease is up, but then the owner can got after the Fiador. You can also stay without paying the monthly rent. It's easer for the owner to go after the Fiador, than to evict you.
I checked ads a few days ago and I'm seeing fewer ads for long term rentals in Copacabana. They're also higher priced, in the R2000 range once you add condo fees and taxes.

http://www.zap.com.br/imoveis/busca-de-imoveis-simples.aspx
www.balcao.com
Viper:
If you'll be staying during Carnaval, expect a spike in rent during that period, (10 to 14 days.) How's your Portuguese?

Fodão
11-19-08, 01:30
Hi guys,

Not wanting to break any forum rules here, but as I have seen quite a few requests along these lines maybe I can be of some use.

I often give a quick glance on this forum, as I find some of the stuff written here quite entertaining to say the least!

I am a Londoner living in Brazil for the last 4 years or so, and I own several apartments here in Rio. I speak English and Portuguese. All of my apartments are high end, lcd tvs in lounge and bedrooms, split air con, lux bathrooms with Deca appliances and lots of granite etc, so not for everyones budget, but if your are after something nice may be of interest to some of you.

I have strong links with some of the main Brasilian run property companies here, being that I have close friends that work for them, with my closest Brasilian friend having his own agency, so even if my places aren't for you, I can get you a much better price on a choice of hundreds of apts in Ipanema and Copa, than if you were to contact these agencies yourself directly.

Anyway, I have no particular offers to make to you, but I just wanted to say hello, and if you have any particular queries about things here in Rio, feel free to send me a pm, and if I can I will help you out.

I have been meaning to get a membership on the forum, because I often see posts regarding various things such as purchasing/renting apartments, which I know can be a daunting process, especially if you don't speak the lingo, and I always think to myself, hey that is something I can help out with. I also act as a guide once in a while for the copa/centro spots, and sometimes even take small groups of (sensible, clued up, non loudmouth) gringoes to Bailes, zona norte clubs, and other places off the beaten track that may be of interest.

I am a pretty well known face here in Rio, so am able to take you to these places that otherwise you maybe should not go to on your own.

***Note to Jackson I have made this post as I notice on other forums you have said it is ok for locals to offer their services, I hope this post complies with your rules***

One final piece of advice regarding the info on this forum. Listen to Christophered and Sperto, these guys are educated about Rio, a lot of other posts I have read on here are just plain ignorant and wrong!

Fui

EDITOR'S NOTE: I would suggest that the author or another Forum Member consider posting a link to this report in the Reports of Distinction thread. Please Click Here (http://www.internationalsexguide.info/forum/announcement-reportsofdistinction.php?) for more information.

Phunluv
11-21-08, 10:17
Fodão

I can't seem to send you a PM, but I think you still should be able to send one to me as I'm a paying member [even in a recession, probably still worth the $20! :) ]

Kman1
11-27-08, 05:17
Has anyone ever used myriocondo?I just booked their 3br apt for Dec. pics looks nice. Anyone stayed there before?

DrChris
12-03-08, 23:22
Hi,

I just wanted to recommend Don and his business, Amerioca, he set me up with a nice short time rental in copa, excellent location, no hassles, even set up the airport pick up.

Chris

Jamaicanceo
12-05-08, 09:33
I didn't get the apartmet I was promised had 3 changes from the orginal. And a buddie went to his room and the bed was busted. It took Booby 4 days to replace the bed. Now my buddie travels all the way from North Calfornia for his first time trip to Rio, and his main tool for fun is broke for 4 days. Go figure!

David68
12-07-08, 12:48
I didn't get the apartmet I was promised had 3 changes from the orginal. And a buddie went to his room and the bed was busted. It took Booby 4 days to replace the bed. Now my buddie travels all the way from North Calfornia for his first time trip to Rio, and his main tool for fun is broke for 4 days. Go figure!How is this idiot still in business? A lot of guys patronize his business because he is American but his company is crap. Lesson learned.Thankfully he has never got any money from me but I have seen and heard horror stories.

Exec Talent
12-07-08, 18:36
Here are some companies who are ethical and deserve your business:

www.amerioca.net
(Ken and Don get nothing but great reviews from their renters)
www.rioapartments.com
(Did not feel a lot of warm fuzzies, but they did everything they said they would do)
www.thewonderfulcity.com
(ask for Fred -- he speaks English well and is as straight as they come)
www.ez-riorentals.com
(Kenn has been in Rio renting apartments for many years with very few complaints)

Kman1
12-08-08, 07:27
How is a guy (David at www.gringomanagement.com) who rips off anyone and everyone still in business? Especially when he does it from the US? He even has his own thread. He is that bad. He is the kind of guy you never want to stand next to because the bullet meant for him might hit you. Yes, he is that bad. If you are unfortunate (or stupid) enough to rent from him, be sure to use a credit card. That way when he screws you (and he will) you have a way to get your money back. Anyone who deals with him as an owner or a renter is simply a fool (or as unethical as he is).

That said, here are some companies who are ethical and deserve your business:

www.amerioca.net
(Ken and Don get nothing but great reviews from their renters)
www.rioapartments.com
(Did not feel a lot of warm fuzzies, but they did everything they said they would do)
www.thewonderfulcity.com
(ask for Fred -- he speaks English well and is as straight as they come)
www.ez-riorentals.com
(Kenn has been in Rio renting apartments for many years with very few complaints)I have used gringomanagement in the past and there were no issues. As a matter of fact I paid deposit for an apt for an upcoming trip and had to cancel within a few days and Dave refunded my deposit no questions asked. would definitely recommend them. Straightforward, English spoken and have good advice to share with for newbies.

Patbutter
12-09-08, 00:57
I am staying in an apt in Copa with 24hr doormen. Curious if other guys tip the doormen at any point. I am thinking particularly of the guy who I frequently wake up at 3AM with a garota from Help on my arm. Thanks for any feedback

Member #4378
12-09-08, 06:21
I didn't get the apartmet I was promised had 3 changes from the orginal. And a buddie went to his room and the bed was busted. It took Booby 4 days to replace the bed. Now my buddie travels all the way from North Calfornia for his first time trip to Rio, and his main tool for fun is broke for 4 days. Go figure!I also had a problem in the apartment and it took Bobby several days to fix it. Though he did try hard and it was a problem he was unaware of, several days of loss can be substantial. Make sure your apartment is problem-less when you check-in.

Ryjerrob
12-09-08, 23:51
I got this link from a friend in Brasil. Don't know anything about the services they provide.

http://www.popstartur.com.br/southbeach/

ryjer

Exec Talent
12-10-08, 00:20
I got this link from a friend in Brasil. Don't know anything about the services they provide.

http://www.popstartur.com.br/southbeach/

ryjer

Ryjer, thanks a lot for the link.

The building where those apartments are located is one of the most beautiful in Copacabana. I always try to rent there, but in the past was given a list of private owners. I could never seem to find availability for times I wanted. Maybe now they have some "house" inventory.

With the exchange rate up, I highly recommend at least considering these apartments. Great location too on the block behind Av. Atlantica. If I remember correctly, someone on this board rents there all the time and may be able to share their experiences.

UPDATE: I tried to reserve but this must be an old link because the last year available is 2005!

Jan 156
12-10-08, 02:18
I am staying in an apt in Copa with 24hr doormen. Curious if other guys tip the doormen at any point. I am thinking particularly of the guy who I frequently wake up at 3AM with a garota from Help on my arm. Thanks for any feedback
I think I've raised it once on here but people's views differ and there's no hard and fast answer.

Firstly, the doorman is included in the price of your rental so there's no need to pay him. Paying extra in the standard American tipping format might just be setting a bad precedent and not getting you anything in return (especially if you tip him at 3am with the garota on the arm - it can look like you are giving him a payment for turning a blind eye, which is totally unnecessary and none of his business - and it might give him ideas about expecting it in the future!)

On the other hand, getting, as far as you can, a sort of buddy thing - even if it's just a veneer - can be good for you if you do it right (and depending on the doorman).

A couple of examples. My favourite area for apartments is Prado Junior. It's not the 'safest' area of Copa but I like it cos of its proximity to buses into town and also late night drinking. I've had a few close shaves but nothing serious.

One apartment I had overlooked the Prado bar and I'd often look out from the balcony to see how the action was shaping up before venturing out. Or maybe I'd hang around downstairs, popping to the farmacia or 24hr grocer. I know the doorman gets paid sh*t - and also he will assume that I'm a sh*t gringo by rule of thumb. Over a few weeks I'd make sure I casually gave the night doorman a few beers (eg break off a four pack from my own on the way back from the supermarket). Once I'm heading out for food at night and ask him if he's hungry. The first time he'd asked me to get him a (sh*t) burger (<1R) from the corner seller and given me the money.

There's simple ways a doorman can make a difference. After getting in with a dodgy crowd one night I wanted to get in and out quickly. He was on my wavelength and keeping a look out to see when I was at the door. He was already wise to giving off the appropriate body language to people I liked or didn't like. But mostly I just liked having him around. I saw him every day. It was nice to have that limited friendship, even if it was slightly top-heavy.

Another flat is one I rent from a woman who probably knows that I monger like there's no tomorrow but officially I only tell her I'm here for the language, the dancing, the beach and so on. If you live in a non-gringo apartment block, your local street-cred has gone out the window the minute you take a garota back, and from that point it becomes harder to make friendships with your neighbours (not that that will bother many of you). The doorman is generally gossip central. So minimising his unwanted exchanges of information with people can be hard. I have limited faith in the 'few cans of beer' approach here, but occasionally try it anyway.

The ultimate doorman-usefulness can be to sort out a dispute with a garota. I had a dupla from an agency one night and was unhappy about the amount they wanted to stiff me for the taxi back. My doorman kindly mediated and got a settlement that was a reasonable in-between. This is quite unusual for a doorman to get involved like this though (in my personal experience).

Rio Bob
12-10-08, 03:19

Pat, I had been staying in the same apartment in Copacabana that I rent from Gringomanagemt.com for the past 5 years or so. Every time I arrive at the apartment after a long flight from my home he helps me to my apartment with my suitcases. I tip him for this, this is the day doorman.

Then when I am out all night and come home at 4 am, the last thing I want to be doing is fumbling for my keys to get into the building. I want to exit the taxi quickly and enter the building as quickly as possible for security reasons. This is a good building I stay in and the door man is very professional and always at his post. He buzzes me in instantly, calls for the elevator and opens the door for me and my ladies. For this I tighten him up a little for doing the right thing.

If the guy does a good job for you and is there when you need him then sure why not throw him a few reais now and then.

Patbutter
12-12-08, 01:33
Pat, I had been staying in the same apartment in Copacabana that I rent from Gringomanagemt.com for the past 5 years or so. Every time I arrive at the apartment after a long flight from my home he helps me to my apartment with my suitcases. I tip him for this, this is the day doorman.

Then when I am out all night and come home at 4 am, the last thing I want to be doing is fumbling for my keys to get into the building. I want to exit the taxi quickly and enter the building as quickly as possible for security reasons. This is a good building I stay in and the door man is very professional and always at his post. He buzzes me in instantly, calls for the elevator and opens the door for me and my ladies. For this I tighten him up a little for doing the right thing.

If the guy does a good job for you and is there when you need him then sure why not throw him a few reais now and then.

Thanks for the advice guys

Mr Blue
12-18-08, 03:14
Just wanted to hop in here and quickly leave a note about my trip. I just returned from my trip and had an excellent experience renting with Adriaan from RioPenthouses (I think they have a network of sites). It was an excellent ocean front apartment and Adriaan and Frank were able to get back to me quickly on all my questions. Frank was my local contact and he spoke excellent English. I would definitely consider renting from them again.

Arthur 1759
12-19-08, 19:28
At Ryjerrob & Exec talent, I am currently staying in South Beach, booked over the internet from Hotelclub.com (part of Rates to Go) for 63, 50 euros a night.

Appt is okay, a little dark, a little rough at the edges, but cleaned and serviced daily, good size approx 40m². Bed is good, shower large, no bath, fridge and aircon excellent. Girls have to register at no extra charge.

I save a fotune on taxis as MP, help etc are in easy walking distance, even at night. Local tip, the Devassa bar on Av Atlantico is 100m away really nice staff, good food, big portions and the best southern hemisphere brew, ice cold Sarara wheat beer (hefeweizen).

Ohp1972
12-19-08, 20:20
At Ryjerrob & Exec talent, I am currently staying in South Beach, booked over the internet from Hotelclub.com (part of Rates to Go) for 63, 50 euros a night.

Appt is okay, a little dark, a little rough at the edges, but cleaned and serviced daily, good size approx 40m². Bed is good, shower large, no bath, fridge and aircon excellent. Girls have to register at no extra charge.

I save a fotune on taxis as MP, help etc are in easy walking distance, even at night. Local tip, the Devassa bar on Av Atlantico is 100m away really nice staff, good food, big portions and the best southern hemisphere brew, ice cold Sarara wheat beer (hefeweizen).
Actually I'm a fan of SouthBeach, I never used Hotelclub.com. I always used an independent renter. But, I always get the same room. #903. It's close enough to the action but also far enough away from too much Drama..... Right around the corner from Mondego.

Ryjerrob
12-20-08, 16:23

I'm glad I was able to help.......

Almotu
12-23-08, 22:42
Are you guys talking about this building? http://www.mytourpal.com/lastMinuteHotels/South_Beach_Copacabana_Residence_Club.htm

Where can I see inside the apartments? Ohp: do you have some photos of 903?

Thanks in advance.

Viper10
12-28-08, 07:34
Any experienced people know www.flatsandrooms.com?? They seem real punctual and always get back to me. I am thinking about renting from them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viper10

Member #4378
12-29-08, 16:31
I found the following report on tripadvisor.com about a theft from the safe.

Aug 28, 2008

We stayed at the Rio Roiss Hotel for 3 nights and we had US$1,200 stolen from the safe! They give you the lock and the key to the safe. Unfortunately we were too naive to believe that the money would have actually been stolen (we had a total of US$2,000 in the safe and they were clever enough to leave some money so we didn't suspect) and thought that we had left the rest of our money at home. Now that we have returned home we have realised that it was actually stolen while we were there and now we can't do anything about it!

Ryjerrob
12-29-08, 21:51
I found the following report on tripadvisor.com about a theft from the safe.

Aug 28, 2008

We stayed at the Rio Roiss Hotel for 3 nights and we had US$1,200 stolen from the safe! They give you the lock and the key to the safe. Unfortunately we were too naive to believe that the money would have actually been stolen (we had a total of US$2,000 in the safe and they were clever enough to leave some money so we didn't suspect) and thought that we had left the rest of our money at home. Now that we have returned home we have realised that it was actually stolen while we were there and now we can't do anything about it!

That's FUCKED-UP...............I've heard about one person that rents apts, where money has disappeared from the apts. Never taking something large, just a little here and there. I actually heard this from a guy that is in competition with her, so I took it with a grain of salt.

Still, you can never be too careful. Like so many have said her, it's good to have a hinding place for you cash. Sorry for your luck.

ryjer

Bartonsky
12-31-08, 16:08
Has any ever used rioholiday.com? I have been in contact with Zlatko Anguelow there. The bubba report recommends this one and EZ rental so have been talking to them. Then all of sudden I cannot get a hold of these guys. I was actually very close to renting one from Zlatko and he has disapeared. I have left at least 5 voicemails and a dozen emails and no response. It kinda makes me nervous to rent from someone who has such poor customer service.

I have been planning a long trip and booked hotels in Medellin, Buenos Aires, Santiago and now Rio and Rio BY FAR is the biggest basket case. There is no customer service. I guess demand must be so good they do not even need to care. I mean these people want to you to give them $1000's in deposits and pay cash upfront and they don't even return emails.

Any suggestions on a good apt rental place would be helpful.

Bart

Almotu
01-01-09, 21:48
Any experienced people know www.flatsandrooms.com?? They seem real punctual and always get back to me. I am thinking about renting from them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viper10Looks like they only have 4 apartments in Rio but a lot in BA. I am a bit concerned that the prices for the Rio apartments are not posted. (They only show a $50 administration fee) Report back about your experience if you do try them. For Rio, Bobby (Blameitonrio) and Kenn (Amerioca) seem to be the most recommended, still.

Bartonsky
01-01-09, 22:12
I am trying to find apts for Rio and having a terrible time. I have booked apts in MED, BA and Santiago for my trip. Those experiences have been a breeze compared to Rio. To say customer service is bad would be a massive understatement. Do these people really expect me to give them $1000's without answering even the most basic questions and responding to emails?

I have been trying to book a room with this Zlatco at rioholiday. This guys must get great business because all his emails back to me are form emails which never answer any specific questions I have. He also never picks up his phone.

Am I just stupid or do people really just hand over $1000 bucks without even knowing what they are getting. Its kinda absurd.

If people have worked with this Zlatco before I wold love to hear your experience. Its like pulling teeth. Multiple emails just to get a price quotes then several more to get specific questions answered if at all. I have no ax to grind. I just want to find a reasonable place and am having one hell of a time.

Bart

Ryjerrob
01-02-09, 14:41
Has any ever used rioholiday.com? I have been in contact with Zlatko Anguelow there. The bubba report recommends this one and EZ rental so have been talking to them. Then all of sudden I cannot get a hold of these guys. I was actually very close to renting one from Zlatko and he has disapeared. I have left at least 5 voicemails and a dozen emails and no response. It kinda makes me nervous to rent from someone who has such poor customer service.

I have been planning a long trip and booked hotels in Medellin, Buenos Aires, Santiago and now Rio and Rio BY FAR is the biggest basket case. There is no customer service. I guess demand must be so good they do not even need to care. I mean these people want to you to give them $1000's in deposits and pay cash upfront and they don't even return emails.

Any suggestions on a good apt rental place would be helpful.

BartThis guy is based outta Seattle. He´s in it for the money. While the houses are great, they are far off the beaten path, Niteroi. Sure you have a car w/ driver, but that can add the fuck up if you plan on copa everyday. When he was new, the cost was $1285 per week, now he´s fucked in the head. If money isn´t a concern, then do it.

Bartonsky
01-02-09, 15:44
Perhaps we are talking about a different service. I am not looking at any packages or car service just renting the apt from him. His prices were not cheap but honestly they seemed comparable if not cheaper than other places I have looked. I am really at my wits end. The customer service in RIO SUCKS. None of the places list all the info on the site you have go back and forth with each place like 5 times before you actually have all the info to compare.

Now all these guys are saying that not much is available because I am looking for after carnival and they are holding all their rooms to see what the carnival booking want. WTF. So I am suppose to wait and hope stuff is still available later.

Bart

Jan 156
01-02-09, 16:04
I have been planning a long trip and booked hotels in Medellin, Buenos Aires, Santiago and now Rio and Rio BY FAR is the biggest basket case.

ROFL. Yes, Rio is the big 'basket case.' Rio lives and breathes by its own rules. Great fun for a heady experience but can be kinda frustrating when you just wish reality would return for a while.

There's many recommendations on this board. Bear in mind that Copacabana (where you actually want to stay) has a high proportion of rip-off artists who target gringos thinking with their balls not their brains, so it complicates things further. Don't let it put you off.

As you'll also maybe gather, scams are not solely perpetrated by agencies. Sometimes false reports will be filed by competitors.

I rent privately these days but have found this agency (RentaFlat - see below) consistently reliable over several years previous. Bear in mind no-one is 100%. But if you have a problem he is fairly professional at sorting it out. He only has a small haggle margin, has been in business for a very long time, and is pretty consistent from one year to the next. Check your electric and gas readings yourself when his go-fer does it, just for your peace of mind. The manager (Felipe) speaks good English but has less writing skills, so it'd not worth going into great detail or getting stroppy by email.

By the way, 'professional' has IMO a different meaning in Rio. It means professsional by Brasilian standards. It doesn't include being nice to people who read the riot act as if there was a ready legal way of backing up their complaints. So if you do get a problem, the best course is to be very nice and insist they clear up a 'misunderstanding' (sometimes, not often but sometimes, the misunderstanding will be the visitor's). Patience is also necessary. People won't rush.* If you want something fixed quickly offer to hang around with a magazine or something till they're free (as if you have all the time in the world).

http://www.rentaflat.com.br/en/index.php

You can also use non-ISG forums such as TripAdviser
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k460083-l2767038-Apartment_in_ipanema-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

This is not as bad as, for instance, in India, where there is little attempt to disguise rip-offs unless you pay 5star. In Rio, it is always worth 'assuming' the other guy has best interests and means well. He will often do his best then to avoid losing face. If he pulls a knife on you, that advice generally goes out the window. ;-)

Exec Talent
01-02-09, 23:11
Perhaps we are talking about a different service. I am not looking at any packages or car service just renting the apt from him. His prices were not cheap but honestly they seemed comparable if not cheaper than other places I have looked. I am really at my wits end. The customer service in RIO SUCKS. None of the places list all the info on the site you have go back and forth with each place like 5 times before you actually have all the info to compare.

Now all these guys are saying that not much is available because I am looking for after carnival and they are holding all their rooms to see what the carnival booking want. WTF. So I am suppose to wait and hope stuff is still available later.

Bart

In the past I have listed four apartment rental agencies who are professional, have onsite management, respond to e-mails and do answer their phones. This is a very busy time everywhere but especially in Rio. Check my past posts and contact the ones I suggested. Stay away from the one here that has its own thread because there were so many complaints.

Downandup
01-03-09, 00:22
The bubba report recommends this one and EZ rental so have been talking to them.I have used ez rentals many times, Kenn is a good guy to know so keep on trying. The reason he's hard to get hold of is probably the time of year, New Years is a big deal but you should hear back from him soon enough.

Sprite13
01-03-09, 08:01
Reading the difficulties some have in getting a good and reliable accomodations during Carnaval in Rio, I almost feel privileged that I will be staying at an ocean front suite at the Rio Othon Palace during the week of Carnaval while only paying $US650 for the entire week for 2 people!

Bartonsky
01-03-09, 18:07
[QUOTE=Downandup]I have used ez rentals many times, Kenn is a good guy to know so keep on trying. ]

Thx for the feedback.

Yeah I am still working with him (kenn). He said he would get back to me on Monday. Perhaps he is just busy. Hopefully I hear something next week. He did seem reasonable when I spoke with him.

Its been 5 days and still no word from Slatko. No calls, emails. Its kinda amazing to me, but hey he must be making money some how. Good for him. I will go elsewhere. Not that I have any choice. Its hard to rent something if you cannot actually talk to the person, haha.

I did a lot of work in my booking for BA(I am staying there the longest). If a place just stopped responding after a couple days I just moved on. I figured if they don't feel any sense of urgency to get back to me then the service when I am there is gonna be even worse. I ended up finding a place that seems good. I will post extensivley on all the cities once I get back. I don't want to report on them yet because I don't know the final product yet.

In all the cities I actually tried to develop some rapport and relationship with the people there. I figure if they know my name and like me then it will help later. I have found building this rapport difficult in Rio.

Maybe this Rio needs a little kick in ass with some competition. I sense they are little fat and happy down there.complacency breeds laziness. The attitude of some of these guys really rubs me the wrong way. Its like they are doing me a favor by renting with them.

Bart

Spinnerman
01-04-09, 16:25
I know some guys here have their own apts to rent, so anyone know

I live in Rio , my lease is up March 1. I want a 6 month to 1 year rental
R2500 a month max , 2 Bedrooms in Copa.close to the beach

Bartonsky
01-05-09, 19:19
Kenn finally got back to me today. I guess better than Slatko who never got back to me. I had specifically requested an apt that has a digital safe. Now he is saying that he has almost no apts in Rio that have a digital safe. Is this really true. I find this hard to believe. Every country I have ever visited has one.

These guys in Rio really crack me up. I guess I am just some dumb gringo because I don't send them an envelope of cash and say yes please rent any apt you have thank you so much her majesty.

Typical email exchange:

Bart: i am looking for an apt in xxxx with x,w,z

Apt rental co: thank you for contacting us bart yes we
have apts here are 2. please send credit card info to reserve.

Bart: ok thank you for the response. Do these apts have what i requested: x,y,z?

Apt rental co: Thank you for your email. answering one of the questions.

Bart: OK thank you. Can you please answer the other questions i had.

Apt rental co: doesn't respond for 3 days.

Bart: email again.

apt rental co.: apt xxx does not have y.

Bart: what about the other apt?

apt rental: stops responding to any calls or emails.

Bart

Rio Bob
01-06-09, 03:48
Kenn finally got back to me today. I guess better than Slatko who never got back to me. I had specifically requested an apt that has a digital safe. Now he is saying that he has almost no apts in Rio that have a digital safe. Is this really true. I find this hard to believe. Every country I have ever visited has one.

Bart

Every apartment I have rented from gringomanagemt.com has had a digital safe. I wouldn't want to rent an apartment without one as I would not feel safe leaving my valuables just hidden in an apartment. This doesn't mean that a digital safe is foolproof because from what I've seen there is always a master password, so watch out.

JohnnyBraz
01-06-09, 09:05
[QUOTE=Downandup]I have used ez rentals many times, Kenn is a good guy to know so keep on trying. ]

Thx for the feedback.

Yeah I am still working with him (kenn). He said he would get back to me on Monday. Perhaps he is just busy. Hopefully I hear something next week. He did seem reasonable when I spoke with him.

Its been 5 days and still no word from Slatko. No calls, emails. Its kinda amazing to me, but hey he must be making money some how. Good for him. I will go elsewhere. Not that I have any choice. Its hard to rent something if you cannot actually talk to the person, haha.

I did a lot of work in my booking for BA(I am staying there the longest). If a place just stopped responding after a couple days I just moved on. I figured if they don't feel any sense of urgency to get back to me then the service when I am there is gonna be even worse. I ended up finding a place that seems good. I will post extensivley on all the cities once I get back. I don't want to report on them yet because I don't know the final product yet.

In all the cities I actually tried to develop some rapport and relationship with the people there. I figure if they know my name and like me then it will help later. I have found building this rapport difficult in Rio.

Maybe this Rio needs a little kick in ass with some competition. I sense they are little fat and happy down there.complacency breeds laziness. The attitude of some of these guys really rubs me the wrong way. Its like they are doing me a favor by renting with them.

BartTry rentflatinrio.com or riopenthouses.com

If the apartment dosen't have a safe, addrian will put one off his own in that apartment for you. Brilliant service.

Edward M
01-07-09, 01:36
Every apartment I have rented from gringomanagemt.com has had a digital safe. I wouldn't want to rent an apartment without one as I would not feel safe leaving my valuables just hidden in an apartment. This doesn't mean that a digital safe is foolproof because from what I've seen there is always a master password, so watch out.You must have rented the more expensive apartments from GM. When I rented from him (its been over a year) about half of the apartments had no safe, half had key safe. Now I bring my own safe.

Exec Talent
01-07-09, 01:51
You must have rented the more expensive apartments from GM. When I rented from him (its been over a year) about half of the apartments had no safe, half had key safe. Now I bring my own safe.

When I rented from Kenn he suggested that I lock my valuables in my largest luggage. If you do not have one, you can buy locks all around Copacabana.

Member #4378
01-07-09, 07:15

These guys in Rio really crack me up. I guess I am just some dumb gringo because I don't send them an envelope of cash and say yes please rent any apt you have thank you so much her majesty.

Typical email exchange:

Bart

This happened to me once. Apartment owner told me that he will install a safe box tonight (the day of my arrival)...tomorrow... never (while I was there) did. If the safe box that you want is not in the apt, do not pay the full rent.

Garotalover
01-09-09, 14:25
Could someone help me with a list of Garota friendly hotels. I am just tired of all the hassles of trying to rent crappy apartments and having "bad" experiences! Trying to get what you were promised in Rio is like is like pulling teeth. I just don't want the drama anymore.

Rocco69
01-12-09, 22:03
Could someone help me with a list of Garota friendly hotels. I am just tired of all the hassles of trying to rent crappy apartments and having "bad" experiences! Trying to get what you were promised in Rio is like is like pulling teeth. I just don't want the drama anymore.I can't help you with a list but the one I use every time I, m in Rio is the Atlantico Copacabana, opposite Siquera Campos metro. Its handy for L'uomo (basically across the street) and MC, a short walk away. Very GF and never had to pay to bring anyone back. Rooms are not 5 star but always been clean and no hassle. Have also used the Merlin Hotel on Princess Isabella. It too is very GF but there is a 75R$ per visit charge. Nicer hotel but a little bit more expensive.

Member #4378
01-13-09, 02:06
Could someone help me with a list of Garota friendly hotels. I am just tired of all the hassles of trying to rent crappy apartments and having "bad" experiences! Trying to get what you were promised in Rio is like is like pulling teeth. I just don't want the drama anymore.

what is your budget?

Viper10
01-13-09, 16:08
If anyone has any leads on a 2 bedroom furnished, available for a year, please PM me. I am looking to spend no more than 3000R/month. I am looking ASAP. Thank you.

Viper10

Koolkid
01-13-09, 20:35
Rua Almirante Goncalves

I've made enquiries about an apartment and have been told it's located on this street. I've tried looking for it on the maps I have, but can't find it.

Can anyone tell me what posto it is in or landmark it is near so I can find the street. Is the area relatively safe for a 2 week stay?

Thanks

Poucolouco
01-14-09, 02:51
Rua Almirante Goncalves

I've made enquiries about an apartment and have been told it's located on this street. I've tried looking for it on the maps I have, but can't find it.

Can anyone tell me what posto it is in or landmark it is near so I can find the street. Is the area relatively safe for a 2 week stay?

Thanks
Nice location. It is one block to the east of HELP. It is the street where you find Hotel Debret, a short one-block street with a little park. Perfectly safe and friendly. There is a little botequim with live ad-hoc music there named "Bip-Bip."

Garotalover
01-14-09, 15:41
Thanks,

I might try Atlantico Copacabana on my next trip in March. Gonclaves is the perfect location. Its a block from Help and close to the beach. I stayed on 50 Gonclaves a few times and the location was great. The apartment was ok, but the drama and hassles of the apartment took away from my adventures. Things like. No hot water, bad toilet, 1 towel, no change of linen. Things that effect you.

Bartonsky
01-20-09, 16:53
I wanted to report back as my Rio hotel/ apt searching saga has come to a close. I finally decided to book a hotel. The hassle and slimy feeling I got from dealing with these Rio apt guys was too much.

I do have an interesting angle. I basically confirmed what I have thought all along. That these apt guys are just colluding with each other. Every other city I have been to quotes prices on the website or somewhere, high season, low season etc. Except Rio. They claim because it’s to seasonal but this makes no sense. The seasons don’t change every yr. You can easily just quote your prices at the beginning of every yr for each season.

Well I had been coorespoding with a guy about an apt for while. Same crap, slow to respond, only would answer half my questions etc. Then I get an email from him today that is addressed to someone else. It sounds like another apt person and he is trying to get the ok to rent the room to this guy. The thing that really floored me was the prices he was quoting was during carnival and it was 25% CHEAPER than he was quoting me for after carnival.

Man these guys make me sick.

Blonde
01-20-09, 20:14
Is there anyone out there knowing anything about this company http://rioresidence.com/

I,m planning a trip to Rio for the carnaval and are planning to rent an apartment. All the companys I have been in touch with demands from 30 to 50% deposit for the rent. Rental prices wary from 2800 to 4000 US$ for a 2 bedrooms apartment
I this the normal rentalprice during carnaval or is it possible to get something less expencive.

Regards

El Greco
01-20-09, 20:52
I wanted to report back as my Rio hotel/ apt searching saga has come to a close. I finally decided to book a hotel. The hassle and slimy feeling I got from dealing with these Rio apt guys was too much.

I do have an interesting angle. I basically confirmed what I have thought all along. That these apt guys are just colluding with each other. Every other city I have been to quotes prices on the website or somewhere, high season, low season etc. Except Rio. They claim because it’s to seasonal but this makes no sense. The seasons don’t change every yr. You can easily just quote your prices at the beginning of every yr for each season.

Well I had been coorespoding with a guy about an apt for while. Same crap, slow to respond, only would answer half my questions etc. Then I get an email from him today that is addressed to someone else. It sounds like another apt person and he is trying to get the ok to rent the room to this guy. The thing that really floored me was the prices he was quoting was during carnival and it was 25% CHEAPER than he was quoting me for after carnival.

Man these guys make me sick.

Give them a lesson by naming them so everybody can avoid them.

Bartonsky
01-20-09, 22:11
Give them a lesson by naming them so everybody can avoid them.apartmentsrio.com

Jan 156
01-20-09, 22:15
Some (very few) do quote prices on the Web. It's also not quite correct to say that prices don't fluctuate from one year to the next. Prices this year during Carnaval are lower as there's less demand, but are normally between double and triple off-peak times. Remarkably, no-one's mentioned the tragedy of the flooding that has hit Brasil recently either. They feel disasters same as any country.

Although there are many 'slimy operators' in Copa, I don't think it's quite fair to lump them all together. Some will haggle over a broad spectrum (especially, in my own experience, if the office is in the region of Help). Some will tell you their prices and that's it, give or take a very small margin as a courtesy, or negotiating over things like deposit or electricity. I've found Rent-a-Flat very consistent in this respect, year after year (they are one of the oldest rental agencies).

But it is also inappropriate to judge Brasil and especially Rio by other countries' ways. Rio has its own way of doing everything, and that's the end of the story more or less. There's little point in trying to make them play American or European or even Argentinean - they will, but you'll pay extra for the privilege. And if you want people who write good English you pay for that too (English lessons are not cheap!) Simply learning their way of doing business is far more efficient IMO.

Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of these apartments stay empty for a large part of the year. So renting them has to be a game of trying to make up for the overall losses too. This applies to the 'slimy guys' - and yes, do name and shame them - but it also applies to the more straight up ones. They will all judge the market before setting their prices. A big difference is the slimy ones will chop and change a lot. The others will set them maybe a month or two in advance and keep them fixed. But the cost of updating prices on the Internet, rightly or wrongly, is more admin than most of them want.

There is also a big difference between someone who books ahead over the Net and someone who makes a face-to-face booking. Brasilians will mostly prefer the latter for many reasons (legit as well as non-legit). If necessary, I will phone an agency I know for a quote rather than email them. If I'm in Brasil (and say booking ahead in another town) I'll maybe let a Brasilian phone for me, but only if I trust them - a trusted garota you are taking with you for instance will haggle better - or else get a knock back for trying to get non-gringo rates for a gringo. But believe it or not, many people renting couldn't care less for the haggling, they're just happy to get a booking.

Bartonsky
01-20-09, 22:29
Some (very few) do quote prices on the Web. It's also not quite correct to say that prices don't fluctuate from one year to the next.I never said prices don't change year to year. I said 'seasons' don't change year to year. I said they can set the new prices for all seasons at the beginning of the year.

By not having any prices the consumer is automatically at a major negotiating disadvantage. It makes it very difficult to comparision shop.

My conclusion is that its just a bigger city and more touristy. As a result there is just less customer care. They know they will get a lot of calls and emails so whats one more person. Its like a real estate broker in NYC vs. One in Arkansas.

Oh and BTW I was not seeing any price breaks this yr due to any slowness. I was pretty much taken aback at the pricing. So I just went with a hotel anyway. Some of the prices I was getting just sounded down right stupid.

Edward M
01-21-09, 03:42

Man these guys make me sick.You are so right. I give up very quickly on guys that want to negotiate price via e-mail. In case there are any apartment owners/agents out there here is my guide to you to get clients via the internet.

1. Have prices on your site. They can change. They can be seasonal but they need to be there. If you like to wheel and deal and fleece the stupid then have 2 sites. By not having prices some people will not even consider your apartments.

2. Know the address or at least cross street. "Great spot close to everything!" means nothing.

3. Actually read the inquiries potential clients send you and answer their questions. Different things are important to different people.

4. Deposits work both ways. A deposit means to hold the apartment for the client. THE APARTMENT not something else.

Jan 156
01-21-09, 07:15
I never said prices don't change year to year. I said 'seasons' don't change year to year. I said they can set the new prices for all seasons at the beginning of the year.Well you're arguing over no difference - prices fluctuate and they are not necessarily the same this February as last February. And if I was a renter and you insisted on getting a quote miles in advance I'd just give you the highest rate I'd think it would be and say contact me nearer the time and maybe I can do it cheaper. I'd be mad to do otherwise.

By not having any prices the consumer is automatically at a major negotiating disadvantage. It makes it very difficult to comparision shop.
Sorry, that's your disadvantage but it's not an unfair one. You just want a western system. I always shop around. I just don't expect them served up western style on my latest version of Internet Explorer and I def don't necessarily expect it in English.

My conclusion is that its just a bigger city and more touristy. As a result there is just less customer care. They know they will get a lot of calls and emails so whats one more person. Its like a real estate broker in NYC vs. One in Arkansas.I think some of your comparison is valid. Copa is rip-off city and not just due to size of RJ. But as with NYC it doesn't mean there aren't honest deals to be had. And like NYC, who you know can help big time.

Oh and BTW I was not seeing any price breaks this yr due to any slowness.I could tell. And I could also see Gringo Management putting his prices *up*. It's almost like some of the girls - if biz is bad, do we drop the prices or put them up to maximise each deal? But when you know Copa better you will be able to get better deals. I won't [CodeWord140] (http://isgprohibitedwords.info?CodeWord=CodeWord140) you off by telling you what I'm paying.

Jan 156
01-21-09, 07:19
apartmentsrio.comF*ck sake - $85 USD for a pissy little studio. No wonder his flashy availability schedule is showing it empty. The groovy website musta costa packet. PLeased you managed to steer clear of him.

On the positive side, I think it's good advice to get a hotel if the apartment system hacks you off. Good for you. There's really no point in spoiling your holiday with malandro bullshit - which can be remarkably easy to do.

ps there's lots of other sites to get info about apartment rentals - such as Virtual Tourist or Trip Advisor - they mostly tell the same story as on here. here's (http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-367281-1-1-Travel-0-0-Rio_de_Janeiro-discussion.html) one for Rentaflat that will say the same about him I would. But his site doesn't have prices. I think it's a bit wide giving advice to Brasilians - they are pretty expert on what they do - have you tried building a high tech website with the sh*tty connections most of them have? I saw one for Gringo Management which mirrored the type of comments here too. I'm sure he has a nice PC somewhere - which his customers will pay for of course.

Garotalover
01-22-09, 18:40
My understanding is that the Princess Copacabana is also "guest friendly"?

Have any one stayed there?

Ryjerrob
01-25-09, 22:03
Then I get an email from him today that is addressed to someone else. It sounds like another apt person and he is trying to get the ok to rent the room to this guy. The thing that really floored me was the prices he was quoting was during carnival and it was 25% CHEAPER than he was quoting me for after carnival.

Man these guys make me sick.I'd post the email, and the info for the apt. owner. Just bypass the agent in the future.

R
yjer

Golfplayer
01-29-09, 10:17
Hi all

I will be doing my first trip to brazil soon, and have been doing some hotel research.
I just need a hotel for 4 days in Rio.

I read about 25 pages of posts from this forum, but most info is on apartments.
I only found following hotels mentioned:

Atlantico Copacabana
Merlin Hotel
South Beach
Augusto's Copacabana Hotel
Atlantico Flat Service
Sheraton Towers

I have questions about what's possible to do there:
- possible to bring 1 girl? is there a fee?
- possible to bring 2 girls? is there a fee?

Thank you much

Lorenzo
01-31-09, 04:41
Hi all

I will be doing my first trip to brazil soon, and have been doing some hotel research.
I just need a hotel for 4 days in Rio.

I read about 25 pages of posts from this forum, but most info is on apartments.
I only found following hotels mentioned:

Atlantico Copacabana
Merlin Hotel
South Beach
Augusto's Copacabana Hotel
Atlantico Flat Service
Sheraton Towers

I have questions about what's possible to do there:
- possible to bring 1 girl? is there a fee?
- possible to bring 2 girls? is there a fee?

Thank you much
Augusto's: you can bring one girl in, but there will be a fee. She will have to register. I doubt that they will let you bring two.

Atlantico: this is an aparthotel, so you can bring as many girls as you want, and there will be no fee. No need for them to register,

Sheraton Towers: when you reserve the room, make the reservation for two people (same rate as for one). When you bring a girl back, she will have to register, but there is no fee. You can bring a different girl on different nights, but she will have to register each time. Make sure the girl looks reasonably respectable, i.e., not an obvious ho. You won't be able to bring two.

I have no experience with the other hotels.

Zebulon1
02-01-09, 18:01
I search the same good idea about the hotel.

Without problem when you come with a girl.

The only one I find for the moment is the Atlantico Copacabana.

But problem for me, I read that you have to pay 15 euros per hour on internet.
Now I try to find more information about apart hotel, I believe there is more than this one.

Or may be apartment, but i read some problem about it.

Koolkid
02-02-09, 12:39
Does anyone know if they are still operating as I never seem to get any responses to the emails I send requesting apartment info, prices etc.

Thanks

Golfplayer
02-02-09, 14:25
Thank you Lorenzo for the info.

One would think that in a city like Rio, hotels would have more relaxed policies, like, in Singapore for example.

Can't understand this. A hotel with a no joiner fee policy, a decent pool and free internet would probably be full all year round with proper communication.
Is there a law against letting hoes into hotels?

Always Randy
02-05-09, 02:10
Does anyone know if they are still operating as I never seem to get any responses to the emails I send requesting apartment info, prices etc.

ThanksThey were still around when I was there in mid-January. I was pleased with their service. However becareful as not all their apartments have an electronic safe so be sure to ask even if the description on the web page says it has. Things may have changed since the web page was created. Studios were $65 to $75 usd per night. Tack on a $20 usd 'tax' for a cleaning fee when you leave. Normally they respond within a day or two. Unless it is a holiday down there, and they seem to have a lot of those!

Iguana Six
02-11-09, 20:12
....chica friendly?
....close the action?
....would you stay in, if cost was a factor?

I have never been to Brazil, so when I saw the chance to go there for the LASA Conference in June, I signed up. Boss may pay for hotel, might not. I am there for a conference, so my days will be tied up. I need to make a reservation soon, as the hotels will fill up.

Of course, I will read all the posts I can. Speak Spanish, can understand Portuguese if it spoken slow or I am reading it. I have four nights available.

Augustos Copacabana
California Othon-Standard
California Othon-Deluxe
Martinique
Savoy Othon
Everest Rio
Excelsior Copacabana
Ipanema Plaza
Miramar Palace
Olinda Othon-Standard
Olinda Othon-Deluxe
Plaza Copacabana
Rio Othon Palace-Standard
Rio Othon Palace-Superior
Inter-Continental
Marriott Hotel
Sheraton Rio

Thanks in advance.

Lorenzo
02-12-09, 08:31
....chica friendly?
....close the action?

Augustos Copacabana

Augusto's is GF, but they will charge you each time you bring a girl in. The hotel is very reasonably priced, good value for the money, large rooms, excellent buffet breakfast. It is about three blocks from the beach, so a bit away from the "action." (This isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

Inter-Continental

I stayed there in 1998 with my (then) American girlfriend, so I don't know if it is GF. However, you don't want to stay there. It is in Sao Conrado, meaning it is far, far away from anyplace you might want to monger. Although the hotel has a bus going to Ipanema and Copa a few times a day, you will end up spending a fortune on taxis. Stay away.

Marriott Hotel

Although I've never stayed there, there are many posts on this forum indicating that it is GF. It is right in the center of the action, close to Help! and within walking distance of the Copa termas. I have always intended to stay there someday, but I never seem to get around to it, largely because it is very expensive and because I think other luxury style hotels give you better bang for your buck.

Sheraton Rio
I have stayed there 4 times. It is GF, but be sure you reserve your room for 2 people and you will not be charged for the girl. You can bring a different girl every night without any problem. This is a luxury style hotel that has a resort atmosphere. It is at the far end of Leblon and some distance from the "action," but nowhere near as far away as the InterContinental. There is a bus going to Ipanema, Copa, and Rio Sul several times a day, but the last bus going back is at 10pm, so you may end up taking a taxi.

I have no experience with the other hotels you listed, but perhaps others can comment. I also suggest that you read the forum for comments on hotels. It is replete with them.

L

Fredyann
02-12-09, 10:50
I have been asking for appartments in Rio. For a nice 1 bedroom they charge more than 100 USD. I mean for something nice and modern, clean. If you look at Hotel Atlantico, the Suite which is no bad at all cost 270 Reals and you have all services included like cleaning. This hotel I had never any problems with girls. So I am wondering what is the best option. Any advice because I am thinking about trying appartment. If anyone knows a good modern appartment with nice space in copa, closed to the beach I would be please to get some advice. But I insist more appartment that you know because on site of agencies it is complicated to see.

Rio Lover #2
02-12-09, 23:20
....chica friendly?
....close the action?

I have never been to Brazil, so when I saw the chance to go there for the LASA Conference in June, I signed up. Boss may pay for hotel, might not. I am there for a conference, so my days will be tied up. I need to make a reservation soon, as the hotels will fill up.

Of course, I will read all the posts I can. Speak Spanish, can understand Portuguese if it spoken slow or I am reading it. I have four nights available.

Augustos Copacabana
California Othon-Standard
California Othon-Deluxe
Martinique
Savoy Othon
Everest Rio
Excelsior Copacabana
Ipanema Plaza
Miramar Palace
Olinda Othon-Standard
Olinda Othon-Deluxe
Plaza Copacabana
Rio Othon Palace-Standard
Rio Othon Palace-Superior
Inter-Continental
Marriott Hotel
Sheraton Rio

Thanks in advance.

I have stayed at Marriott, Sheraton and Intercontinental, they are all GF. Marriott is located in Copacabana and near Help and Monte Carlo and L'Uomo.

Sheraton is in Leblon, at night you need a taxi to go back.

Intercontinental is far away from Copacabana, some 20-25 minutes.

If your boss pays I would stay at the Marriott, central but not cheap

Jan 156
02-13-09, 13:10
I have been asking for appartments in Rio. For a nice 1 bedroom they charge more than 100 USD. I mean for something nice and modern, clean. If you look at Hotel Atlantico, the Suite which is no bad at all cost 270 Reals and you have all services included like cleaning. This hotel I had never any problems with girls. So I am wondering what is the best option. Any advice because I am thinking about trying appartment. If anyone knows a good modern appartment with nice space in copa, closed to the beach I would be please to get some advice. But I insist more appartment that you know because on site of agencies it is complicated to see.

Aparthotel on Barata Ribeiro is a good compromise. Not the top end, but very clean and spacious and you get a daily cleaning service thrown in. In fact, I got my cleaning lady´s number and got her thrown in too when I was staying there - or maybe it was an extra 200R. Good service though, in both senses. I don´t book online so don´t have those details. There´s serviced apartments in other areas too.

Naxnax
02-13-09, 20:16
Hi guys

Is Best Western Copa, girl friendly?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

Andy1974
02-13-09, 20:21
Hi Guys,

Do any of you have any advice on a place to stay for about 3 months, I find myself redundant and have decided to take a long sabattical and thought I would check out some options, obviously price is an issue, but I also don't want to live somewhere really crappy, is $50 a night just too cheap? And if not what could I expect for my money for a long stay like that?

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated,

Thanks so much in advance,

Andy

Rio Bob
02-15-09, 01:43
Some of you asked about the apt in my pictures. It belongs to a friend of mine who was not going to be in Rio this time same time as me, so I checked it out.

In Ipanema, close to Leblon, right around the corner from Lord Jim Pub. This is basically 1st time I stayed in Ipanema as I wanted to see how much time I would stay there during the night and hit the night spots. I didn't too much, most nights I was in Help and during the day I was either in Ipanema or Leblon.

As you can see it's a nice apt and the girls liked it.

Here are the details from the owner:
www.vrbo.com/106780

Pipe Layer99
02-15-09, 05:23
Anyone know the current rates in R$ for a standard room?

Promenade Princess hotel 21-2156-9700

The web site shows rates as low as R$176

I am trying to book online directly with them but their web site is not working. It costs more if I use other web sites (R$257).

Thanks, Pipe Layer

JohnnyBraz
02-15-09, 06:12
Anyone know the current rates in R$ for a standard room?

Promenade Princess hotel 21-2156-9700

The web site shows rates as low as R$176

I am trying to book online directly with them but their web site is not working. It costs more if I use other web sites (R$257).

Thanks, Pipe LayerWhy a hotel? To many nice apartments to rent, and even with apartments everything is very negotiable now, there are not many tourists in Rio at the moment, my apartment for my next trip is rented through acencies for 150 us per night, I got it for 80 direct with the owner. But even agencies will negotiate in tough economic times.

Sprite13
02-15-09, 07:35
Johnny,
You mean that now, on the eve of the biggest event and the primest time of the year in Brasil, there are not many tourists in Rio? I can hardly believe it!
Is that really the case? Can you or others in town confirm it please?

Thanks.

Pipe Layer99
02-15-09, 08:39
I always get a hotel room for about 3 days. I prefer the cleanliness, and the peace and quiet I usually find with hotels. After a few days I go look at a few apts before making a decision.
Looking for the actual cost of Promenade Princess?

Why a hotel? To many nice apartments to rent, and even with apartments everything is very negotiable now, there are not many tourists in Rio at the moment, my apartment for my next trip is rented through acencies for 150 us per night, I got it for 80 direct with the owner. But even agencies will negotiate in tough economic times.

Jan 156
02-15-09, 19:10
Johnny,
You mean that now, on the eve of the biggest event and the primest time of the year in Brasil, there are not many tourists in Rio? I can hardly believe it!
Is that really the case? Can you or others in town confirm it please?

Thanks.

Yeah - my landlady said the same thing - accepted nearly half what she was charging last year. JohnnyBraz reports getting a vast reduction from the advertised internet price, which seems fair.

The big bulk of tourists are Brasilian, and after that South American. Brasil has had a rough few months not just from the world economic stuff but from flooding. Not that you would guess it from the gringos with MMS* flooding Balcony and so on ;)

But I don´t think this is reflected in agencies and so on that advertise abroad. I´ve known my landlady for years and she chose to be honest (she also gave me a nice welcome so I got her some flowers). Most internet sites assume ignorance (how many western news chanels carried details of Brasil´s woes? Not many!) It seems rental agencies and carnaval ticket agencies are just charging normal. The hotel I used this time last year (almost walking distance from Sambodrome) still sold out. Ticket sales for all the decent Sectors seem to be going well. People who negotiate on the ground have an advantage of maybe 100%, but this option is not available to everyone of course who maybe only can be here for a limited time.

I always get a hotel room for about 3 days. . . . After a few days I go look at a few apts before making a decision.
This is a great strategy if you have time IMO. It takes the presure off hunting and lets you se what you get, as well as giving room to negotiate.

´More Money than Sense´

Eros74
02-15-09, 23:02
...there are not many tourists in Rio? ...

Even here in Floripa, they say much less turist than the last year, I guess how will be the situation in march in Rio after Carnival ?

Can we expect low prices and high number of pussy available or not much different from january ?

Jan 156
02-16-09, 05:25
Can we expect low prices and high number of pussy available or not much different from january ?

Well you know the saying about assume . . .

And some girls will just bump the price up to make up for lost earnings ;)

ImABootyMan
02-17-09, 09:00
Surely the girls would have to index their prices to the CPI, wouldn't they? Wishful thinking.

On a different note, I've just handed over a 30% deposit for Miguel Lemos 8 for US$60 a night - a pretty good price, no? I hope it's not too good to be true!

Have any of you had dealings with www.thewonderfulcity.com?

Exec Talent
02-17-09, 19:47
Surely the girls would have to index their prices to the CPI, wouldn't they? Wishful thinking.

On a different note, I've just handed over a 30% deposit for Miguel Lemos 8 for US$60 a night - a pretty good price, no? I hope it's not too good to be true!

Have any of you had dealings with www.thewonderfulcity.com?

I deal mostly with Fred there and just referred a couple of Danish girls to them. I thought they got a fair price for the apartment they rented, especially during Carnaval. They recently redid their web site and it looks pretty slick. As for your deposit, nothing to worry about. They have been around for a long time and are very honest.

Eros74
02-17-09, 23:13
Well you know the saying about assume . . .

And some girls will just bump the price up to make up for lost earnings ;)

So it is up to us, as always, how good price we are able to get ;)

JohnnyBraz
02-17-09, 23:43
So it is up to us, as always, how good price we are able to get ;)In my experience over the years off going to Rio. The more you pay, the worst the sex is. Never pay over 300r 3 pops. 250 2 pops from help and take max per night from balconey 150r 3 pops. Ta max 200r 3 pops.

Benjoe
02-18-09, 03:17
I deal mostly with Fred there and just referred a couple of Danish girls to them. I thought they got a fair price for the apartment they rented, especially during Carnaval. They recently redid their web site and it looks pretty slick. As for your deposit, nothing to worry about. They have been around for a long time and are very honest.
I concur about "The Wonderful City." Wonderful people, straight shooters. good values. I am almost afraid to say good words--I don't want competition for apartments in the future. But, right now, with fewer tourists, I don't see competition for apartamentos being a problem and want The Wonderful City to do well.

ImABootyMan
02-19-09, 10:51
I concur about "The Wonderful City." Wonderful people, straight shooters. good values. I am almost afraid to say good words--I don't want competition for apartments in the future. But, right now, with fewer tourists, I don't see competition for apartamentos being a problem and want The Wonderful City to do well.Thanks guys! I can sleep easy now! And I'll add that all my dealings with Fred have been reassuringly professional. I was expecting the worst after reading the many complaints on this site.

Spiros Katas
02-23-09, 22:44
Its a great help for a newcomer in Rio some gf hotels.

If somone can help!

Thanks

Rio Lover #2
02-24-09, 15:08
Its a great help for a newcomer in Rio some gf hotels.

If somone can help!

Thanks

Spiros,

Here are a few

Marriott
Sheraton
Intercontinental
Ibis Centro
Ibiza Copacabana
Atlantico Copacabana

If you look further back in this thread you will find others.

RL

Spiros Katas
02-24-09, 22:26
I'll check it because the other Wednesday I fly for Rio and I have not time!

Marcop 12
02-27-09, 06:44
Hi,

I'm sure i read some reviews on Eric from copaapartments, i just cant seem to find them.

If anyone could share any experiences with Eric\Copa Apartments that would be appriciated.

Thanks

Exec Talent
02-27-09, 09:44
Hi,

I'm sure i read some reviews on Eric from copaapartments, i just cant seem to find them.

If anyone could share any experiences with Eric\Copa Apartments that would be appriciated.

Thanks

Eric is a very smart honest young man. I have rented from him several times. Just be clear what you are looking for and what you expect. The maid who cleans his apartments is excellent.

Nimms
03-04-09, 00:19
I've been to Rio about 6 times. A friend and myself first went with a Brazilian guy who lives in the US and everything was cool. He found the apt/hotel, etc. We lost touch with him and started to going through some gringos to rent apartments, but we're paying entirely too much. When we meet fellows down in Rio, the always pay far less than we do, but their contacts never seem to work out for me and my friend. We end up going back to the same guys b/c they are they only people we know there. Can you guys help up find a honest contact that will not take us to the cleaners (e. G. $200 US per night for a nice apt, but we've been in Apt just as nice and the guys who rented it paid far less than we did).

Thanks in advance.

Nimms

Exec Talent
03-04-09, 00:40
I've been to Rio about 6 times. A friend and myself first went with a Brazilian guy who lives in the US and everything was cool. He found the apt/hotel, etc. We lost touch with him and started to going through some gringos to rent apartments, but we're paying entirely too much. When we meet fellows down in Rio, the always pay far less than we do, but their contacts never seem to work out for me and my friend. We end up going back to the same guys b/c they are they only people we know there. Can you guys help up find a honest contact that will not take us to the cleaners (e. G. $200 US per night for a nice apt, but we've been in Apt just as nice and the guys who rented it paid far less than we did).

Thanks in advance.

Nimms
Would love to help you out but you cannot receive PMs. Maybe you came here looking for help but have not joined the forum?

Eros74
03-04-09, 02:47
Eric is a very smart honest young man. I have rented from him several times. Just be clear what you are looking for and what you expect. The maid who cleans his apartments is excellent.

The problem is that he is too lazy to answer to your e mails, he needs 3-4 days to do it, as brazilian he is good, I mean "honest", but too high prices for the quality of flats and yes, if he was less lazy....I guess if he is so lazy to answer to your e mails when you are gonna to ask infos, once you pay, he will probably disappear till last day when he will come back to get the key back...so there is surely something worst, but something better too....imho !

Nimms
03-04-09, 02:50
Would love to help you out but you cannot receive PMs. Maybe you came here looking for help but have not joined the forum?I'm not sure what you mean? I joined a while back and don't have limitation I know of. Is there a special membership I need to receive PMs? If so, I have not problem getting it. I see pics, etc.

Nimms
03-04-09, 02:59
Would love to help you out but you cannot receive PMs. Maybe you came here looking for help but have not joined the forum?I've rejoined. I didn't realize my paid membership had expired.

Thanks for giving me the heads up.

Watchman4400
03-04-09, 04:42
I just got back from my latest trip to Rio and this was the first time that I rented from Don at www.amerioca.net. I have to say that Don was the coolest guy ever. I rented a 2 bedroom apartment around the corner from his shop and it was perfect. I have rented from several different services and Don is right there at the top. If you need an apartment I could not recommend anyone better!

Koolkid
03-04-09, 07:04
I just got back from my latest trip to Rio and this was the first time that I rented from Don at www.amerioca.net. I have to say that Don was the coolest guy ever. I rented a 2 bedroom apartment around the corner from his shop and it was perfect. I have rented from several different services and Don is right there at the top. If you need an apartment I could not recommend anyone better!Yes I've just booked with him for my trip in May. My apartment is in the same building as his shop. Can't wait to get there!!

Amerioca
03-04-09, 22:01
I just got back from my latest trip to Rio and this was the first time that I rented from Don at www.amerioca.net. I have to say that Don was the coolest guy ever. I rented a 2 bedroom apartment around the corner from his shop and it was perfect. I have rented from several different services and Don is right there at the top. If you need an apartment I could not recommend anyone better!

What did you pay per night? Any pics of the apto?

Eros74
03-05-09, 01:55
What did you pay per night? Any pics of the apto?

Just a question....if Don is really the best of the best....why it is the first web page of apartments I see here in Rio with no prices ?

Why I have to call him or to e mail him to know the prices the others show with no shame ?

ImABootyMan
03-05-09, 02:36
Yeah, I'm with you here Lukasek! That was definitely a primary criteria for me when I was booking my apartment over the web. If they are not quoting prices it seems they have something to hide.

Maybe I am too paranoid about getting my pants pulled down over the price. Maybe not.

Pipe Layer99
03-05-09, 03:57
Look up a few rental agancies onlione and make notes about the ones you like. The apt number, location, price etc. Then contact the agencies and get price quotes.

Your notes will come in handy later. I know mine did right by me.

I found a decent apt on rioapartments.com for $60 a night. I also found the same apt on rentinrio. I asked for aquote and it was $130 a night. More than double. When I asked them why the rate was much more than the competition - I go no reply. Go figure. They got caught.

My advice is to do your homework and take good notes.

Watchman4400
03-05-09, 06:04
I am not stating a fact that Don is the best. It is my opinion. I have rented from several guys and he was the best in my opinion.

I paid $150 a night for a very nice two bedroom apartment that had a nice beach view. The apartment was well furnished and we had no problems. When I got to Rio, Don personally took me to a very nice Gym and got me a two week membership for 40 Reals. Don included the use of a telephone with the rental of that apartment for no extra charge.

But I agree that you should look around and find the best price.

Just a question....if Don is really the best of the best....why it is the first web page of apartments I see here in Rio with no prices ?

Why I have to call him or to e mail him to know the prices the others show with no shame ?

Gringo Safado
03-05-09, 08:09
I am trying to find two apartments in the same building in Ipanema for me and a friend for a few days in April. As previously reported on this forum, most agents don't seem to bother answering to my emails. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Amerioca
03-06-09, 04:09
I am trying to find two apartments in the same building in Ipanema for me and a friend for a few days in April. As previously reported on this forum, most agents don't seem to bother answering to my emails. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

They are still recovering from Carnival ;-) You can always stay at a cheap hotel until finding an apto.

Lancer520
03-06-09, 07:52
I will be staying at a nice apartment in Ipanema starting on tuesday for 10 days. From what I've been told, the building has a pool, fitness center and wi-fi. I use John from Riorentals4less.com. Used him last year and eveything was great. Will let you know how it works out early next week and send you a PM with the contact info...

Bad Boy Billy
03-11-09, 05:58
Billy is in apartment ‘hunt mode’ for a visit June 15 to 22.

Contacted Rio Apartments and Rent In Rio regarding 4 particular apartments – see their responses

http://www.rioapartments.com/0-46_aluguel_de_imoveis_conjugado_quarto_e_sala_copacabana/
Rent In Rio - US$125 / night
Rio Apartments - US$90 / night

http://www.rioapartments.com/0-20_aluguel_de_imoveis_conjugado_copacabana/
Rio Apartments - US$75 / night

http://www.rioapartments.com/0-21_aluguel_de_imoveis_conjugado_copacabana/
Rio Apartments - US$70 / night

http://www.rioapartments.com/0-39_aluguel_de_imoveis_conjugado_luxo_copacabana/
Rio Apartments - US$60 / night

‘Caveat Emptor’ – ‘Let the buyer beware’

Gringo Safado
03-11-09, 08:04
What is people's experience with riopenthouses.com? They are showing me 2bed in Ipanema for $140, is this a fair price?

Gringo Safado
03-11-09, 08:10
Any views, experience from this one? Also, many people in the forum report direct contact with the owner, but how do you find the owner?