PDA

View Full Version : General Info

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Smoothy
01-07-20, 23:09
But I now wonder if he added that illegally. Now that I think of it, I could have asked the bellhop / security, etc. At the hotel.He absolutely DID NOT add that illegally. There is an airport fee for him to wait at the airport and also the tolls.

What country are you from where you are so un-trusting of people? LOL. That's sad.

Enjoy Indonesia. The people are among the most honest you will find anywhere in the world.

Maila
01-08-20, 03:24
He absolutely DID NOT add that illegally. There is an airport fee for him to wait at the airport and also the tolls.

What country are you from where you are so un-trusting of people? LOL. That's sad.

Enjoy Indonesia. The people are among the most honest you will find anywhere in the world.There's nothing sad about it. Meter said something and I looked at what official meter said. I paid the guy what he asked and later just asked on a board for clarification.

No need to start with "where are you from" here.

Blanquiceleste
01-08-20, 15:11
The people are among the most honest you will find anywhere in the world.Oh! For sure they are the most honest people you will find anywhere in the world. Which is why every taxi guy who is not a Bluebird or Express will never run a meter. Which is why the cops shook you down for 500 K when they raided a bar you were present in, even if you had no drugs on you. Which is why cops stop taxis randomly in the night and extort whatever they can from you if you are not carrying proper identification. The list is endless.

Very honest folks! For sure.

Marky1
01-08-20, 18:48
Oh! For sure they are the most honest people you will find anywhere in the world. Which is why every taxi guy who is not a Bluebird or Express will never run a meter. Which is why the cops shook you down for 500 K when they raided a bar you were present in, even if you had no drugs on you. Which is why cops stop taxis randomly in the night and extort whatever they can from you if you are not carrying proper identification. The list is endless.

Very honest folks! For sure.If they don't want to run the meter I get in another taxi or just pay the fixed fare.

I've had taxi drivers all over the world demand a fixed fare late at night.

Corruption is everywhere in the world.

Many parts of the world walking around a red light area as an outsider with a pocketful of cash will get you robbed or worse.

FlapFlap
01-08-20, 20:38
I'd sign any day of the week for a country where they only try to shake you down for 25 k at a time.

Offshore Swell
01-09-20, 14:57
Oh! For sure they are the most honest people you will find anywhere in the world. Which is why every taxi guy who is not a Bluebird or Express will never run a meter. Which is why the cops shook you down for 500 K when they raided a bar you were present in, even if you had no drugs on you. Which is why cops stop taxis randomly in the night and extort whatever they can from you if you are not carrying proper identification. The list is endless.

Very honest folks! For sure.

He absolutely DID NOT add that illegally. There is an airport fee for him to wait at the airport and also the tolls.

Enjoy Indonesia. The people are among the most honest you will find anywhere in the world.Ha ha, except if the taxi driver is from Medan. Dead wives, sick babies, plagues and rats. OS always seems to get it from the Batak drivers.

OS had a rather close shave where he diverted his taxi that lady OS had so kindly booked for him to the airport and his official departure from Indonesia, to hotel grand mercure for a night of debauchery. Unfortunately lady OS afterwards rang the driver looking for OS's missing phone and the Batak driver spilled the beans. OS got wind that the posse was coming, profusely denied his whereabouts and made a mad dash for the airport on a hastily bought ticket to Bali and on. Passing out through immigration with 20 minutes to spare before midnight. Talk about a Cinderella moment.

Next morning OS sent through a photo of the visa stamps in his passport to show he couldn't possibly have been at grand mercure and a story how he had argued with the driver about a tip.

The funniest bit was the driver's credibility was only ever at 50% because of his Medan accent, Boy did lady OS ring up bluebird and let that poor driver have it.

Poor chap was just a casualty of war.

Smoothy
01-09-20, 23:27
Ha ha, except if the taxi driver is from Medan. Dead wives, sick babies, plagues and rats. OS always seems to get it from the Batak drivers.Yes, it's been a while since I had one of those assholes as my taxi driver. They drive the shittiest taxi in town. I've only had it happen twice, but their story to me was "please mister, my wife (or kid) is sick and I have no money. Can you help me? Please, please, please, please. " They don't shut up the entire ride, then I get out, give them the fare on the meter and say "sorry to hear of your problems".

I haven't had them mention plagues or rats yet. LOL.

They definitely are not driving Silver Bird taxis though. The chance of a Silver Bird taxi trying to rip you off is slim to none.

I don't consider the guys who refuse to use the meter to be dishonest. They tell you right up front that is the rate. You can accept it or not. But they drive the most beat up taxis in town that nobody would ever take, then they wait outside areas where it's difficult to ever find a taxi. The fact that there were never any taxis in those areas was their only advantage, and Grab car has pretty much killed them off these days. I think that refusal to use the meter happens more in Thailand than in Jakarta. And many times in Thailand, the taxi just refuses to take you where you want to go. I can't even count the number of times a Thai taxi has pulled up and when I tell them where I want to go, they refuse to go there and drive away. I've never had that happen in Jakarta. When I want to go from Nana to Ladprao Central Plaza, the taxi meter should be around 70 baht, but most Thai taxis will demand at least 300.

Aussie taxi drivers totally suck, they are always trying to get tourists to go places they don't need to go. Same in New York, etc. I really think Indonesia has the most honest taxi drivers anywhere.

Blanquiceleste
01-10-20, 13:44
They definitely are not driving Silver Bird taxis though. The chance of a Silver Bird taxi trying to rip you off is slim to none.

I don't consider the guys who refuse to use the meter to be dishonest. They tell you right up front that is the rate. You can accept it or not. But they drive the most beat up taxis in town that nobody would ever take, then they wait outside areas where it's difficult to ever find a taxi. The fact that there were never any taxis in those areas was their only advantage, and Grab car has pretty much killed them off these days. I think that refusal to use the meter happens more in Thailand than in Jakarta. And many times in Thailand, the taxi just refuses to take you where you want to go. I can't even count the number of times a Thai taxi has pulled up and when I tell them where I want to go, they refuse to go there and drive away. I've never had that happen in Jakarta. When I want to go from Nana to Ladprao Central Plaza, the taxi meter should be around 70 baht, but most Thai taxis will demand at least 300.

Aussie taxi drivers totally suck, they are always trying to get tourists to go places they don't need to go. Same in New York, etc. I really think Indonesia has the most honest taxi drivers anywhere.Agree, Silverbird Bluebird and Express drivers don't try to rip you off.

I also agree asking for a flat fare is not necessarily dishonest, if the ask is reasonable (within 5-10% of the usual meter rate). Particularly in places where it is hard to find a taxi, like Kota Indah. Call it convenience charge. But if someone asks for twice the fare, then I wonder what you would call that.

And you are also correct that taxis in Thailand, Australia, New York, India, China, Philippines, etc all suck. But that does not make the Indonesian taxi drivers any less dishonest. All these guys can smell a noob a mile away and they would not hesitate a second to hang draw and quarter them. Now the only place I have seen where every single taxi driver is completely honest is Singapore. No where else in the world. Perhaps Dubai may be a distant second.

Menteng
01-12-20, 14:43
My last visits to Jakarta, each time lasted only a couple of weeks. Now I'm considering to stay longer than a month.

For the first entry I will not need a visa, but as you know, that stay has a max of 30 days (not travelling on Sosbud because it is a hassle to take care of that here in Spain).

In the past I used to go to Singapore and return for another 30 days max: The Visa Run, leaving and returning the same day. But now somebody has told me that there is a minimum stay abroad required, before being able to return to Jakarta.

Please info me on this matter.

Smoothy
01-13-20, 22:20
Now the only place I have seen where every single taxi driver is completely honest is Singapore. No where else in the world. You must have missed the story where the guy took a taxi in Singapore and needed to go to the ATM so he had the car stop for some money to pay the taxi. He had left his bag on the seat in the car, and inside that bag there was an iPad. He didn't notice the iPad was gone until he got to the gate to check in.

Egy Monger New
01-17-20, 08:40
My last visits to Jakarta, each time lasted only a couple of weeks. Now I'm considering to stay longer than a month.

For the first entry I will not need a visa, but as you know, that stay has a max of 30 days (not travelling on Sosbud because it is a hassle to take care of that here in Spain).

In the past I used to go to Singapore and return for another 30 days max: The Visa Run, leaving and returning the same day. But now somebody has told me that there is a minimum stay abroad required, before being able to return to Jakarta.

Please info me on this matter.The best long-term solution for this problem is getting a dodgy visa agent to get you a KITAS. A 6-month one would cost you about Rp. 25,000,000 but you would still need to apply for it via an overseas Indonesian consulate at any country of your choice. PM me if you want to know the agent I use for my own KITAS.

Doing visa runs every 30 days is OK too but after a few times Immigration will start to question whether you are working here illegally. It might be better to wait a week or two before returning. I haven't actually heard of anyone doing visa runs being rejected entry though (at least in Soekarno-Hatta, not sure about Denpasar).

Menteng
01-18-20, 12:15
The best long-term solution for this problem is getting a dodgy visa agent to get you a KITAS. A 6-month one would cost you about Rp. 25,000,000 but you would still need to apply for it via an overseas Indonesian consulate at any country of your choice. PM me if you want to know the agent I use for my own KITAS.

Doing visa runs every 30 days is OK too but after a few times Immigration will start to question whether you are working here illegally. It might be better to wait a week or two before returning. I haven't actually heard of anyone doing visa runs being rejected entry though (at least in Soekarno-Hatta, not sure about Denpasar).Thanks for the reaction. I will only stay there for 40 days total, so a KITAS, would be too large an investment for the extra 10 days. Someone suggested buying a VOA that can be extended for another 30 days. But alas, no answer if someone that in principle does not need a VOA can purchase one.

Egy Monger New
01-18-20, 16:28
Only a few countries are eligible for the VOA visa. For my passport I can only get stamped 30 days and there is no way to get the VOA.

You could overstay the 10 days but the daily overstay fee has now been raised to a whopping Rp 1,000,000 and they're pretty strict about it now. Gone are the good old days when you could discreetly slip the immigration officer Rp 50,000 for an overstay offense.

Thanks for the reaction. I will only stay there for 40 days total, so a KITAS, would be too large an investment for the extra 10 days. Someone suggested buying a VOA that can be extended for another 30 days. But alas, no answer if someone that in principle does not need a VOA can purchase one.

Tommy Suharto
01-27-20, 23:51
Thanks for the reaction. I will only stay there for 40 days total, so a KITAS, would be too large an investment for the extra 10 days. Someone suggested buying a VOA that can be extended for another 30 days. But alas, no answer if someone that in principle does not need a VOA can purchase one.Menteng, you can use a VOA extension. At 35 USD. Gives you the initial 30 days plus another 30 days, 60 days in total on a tourist visa. You can get the extension on the designated entry points, no need to do a visa run. Have a great time.

Menteng
01-29-20, 11:48
Menteng, you can use a VOA extension. At 35 USD. Gives you the initial 30 days plus another 30 days, 60 days in total on a tourist visa. You can get the extension on the designated entry points, no need to do a visa run. Have a great time.Thank you! Appreciate your reaction.

CodeName47
02-20-20, 10:44

Enjoy Indonesia. The people are among the most honest you will find anywhere in the world.I find it very relaxing when I visit Indonesia. I don't get that feel anywhere else. To a degree I feel safe in Singapore. But talking about a relaxing vacation Indonesia is the best so far.

I don't understand the hype about manila either. People try to scam if you are not very careful. Comparing to those, I feel very comfortable with Indonesians in general.

Goferring
04-24-20, 04:59
Thanks, in most of the Indian language Basha means language, there are some similarities in the words.

With Indonesian.Thats news. Is there enough similarity for a native Indian speaker to understand a native Indonesian speaker?

Indonesian is based heavily upon Malaysian to the point that Indonesians and Malays can very easily converse. I'm wondering if the early Indian influences in Malaysia have included their language and therefore also Indonesia's??

By "Indian" are you referring to Hindi?

Cheers. G.

Engine Driver
04-24-20, 05:55
Thats news. Is there enough similarity for a native Indian speaker to understand a native Indonesian speaker?

Indonesian is based heavily upon Malaysian to the point that Indonesians and Malays can very easily converse. I'm wondering if the early Indian influences in Malaysia have included their language and therefore also Indonesia's??

By "Indian" are you referring to Hindi?

Cheers. G.Many of the South East Asian languages have some root words from Tamil and Sanskrit. Malay, Indonesian and Tagalog still have many of these words. Indonesian has hundreds of Dutch words, particularly legal, commercial, financial and bureaucratic terms. Bahasa Indonesia was invented by a bunch of scholars to unify the country after WW 2. Before that it was just Javanese, Sundanese, Balinese etc.

A few examples include:

Indonesian / Tamil / Sanskrit.

Topi = Topi = Hat.

Kapal = Kapal = Ship.

Meja = Meshai = Table.

Kursi = Kuruchi = Chair.

Bahasa = Bashai = Language.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧.

Indonesian / Dutch.

Apotik = Apotheek = Pharmacy.

Bengkel = Winkel = Workshop.

Bioskop = Bioscoop = Cinema.

Gratis = Gratis = Free.

BenderOver
04-24-20, 10:34
I also agree asking for a flat fare is not necessarily dishonest, if the ask is reasonable (within 5-10% of the usual meter rate). Particularly in places where it is hard to find a taxi, like Kota Indah. Call it convenience charge. But if someone asks for twice the fare, then I wonder what you would call that.
Have you ever tried to use the Bluebird app near that area? It's a comedy watching the icons drive in circles trying to get to you. Then you realize the tragedy when you have to jump in a flat fare taxi.

I always offer about 1. 8 times that of the metered fare near KI. I'm too fucking tired to walk back to my hotel; it's goddamn far away; and I'm sure I'm going to encounter more mosquitoes walking than in that piece of shit taxi.

Ok, flat fare taxi it is.

Oh damn, it stinks in here.

Christian G
07-05-21, 18:55
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Indonesia-to-ban-entry-by-unvaccinated-foreigners?fbclid=IwAR0nkq2xUP2tIDgaQmvQRox5Rk6jrEezGqiMAD2yx2soZit4gSiVJFU0YF0

Indonesia to ban entry by unvaccinated foreigners.

Chinese and South Koreans are among the exempt.

July 5, 2021.

Jakarta -- Indonesia will bar foreign visitors not vaccinated against COVID-19 from entering the country, a government task force said Sunday, aiming to check the highly transmissible delta variant.

Foreigners entering the country will need to show a vaccination certificate and a negative PCR test. The visitor will then undergo an eight-day quarantine -- up from the previous five -- and will need two negative PCR tests during that time.

Government officials and diplomats, as well as those visiting under the travel corridor arrangements, are exempt. Indonesia has bilateral travel corridor arrangements with the United Arab Emirates, China, South Korea and Singapore.

Unvaccinated Indonesians returning home will receive the shots after undergoing the same quarantine and testing negative via PCR.

The task force did not give a time frame for the new measures. But an official at the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime Affairs and Investment, which oversees the tighter social restrictions on the islands of Java and Bali, said earlier Sunday that they will take effect Tuesday.

Indonesia bars foreigners from traveling in and transiting through Indonesian territory without a valid residence permit or certain classes of visa.

"We already understand that there is an increase in COVID-19 cases and new variants that continue to spread in various countries, so the government added special provisions to protect Indonesian citizens from imported cases," said Ganip Warsito, head of the COVID-19 Handling Task Force, in an online news conference Sunday.

The new measure "intends to implement stricter health protocols for international travelers to monitor, control, and evaluate the spread of COVID-19 cases, including the delta variant," he said.

The announcement follows tighter restrictions for domestic travel announced Thursday. Those traveling long distances, including by air, bus and train, need to be at least partly vaccinated against COVID-19.

The ban announced Sunday comes as Indonesia "teeters on the edge of a COVID-19 catastrophe," in the words of the Red Cross here. Daily cases have exceeded 20,000 for the past nine days and hit another daily record on Saturday. A total of 27,233 new cases were reported on Sunday, and deaths reached a new record of 555.

The surge in new cases has been blamed on the delta variant. Indonesia has a cumulative prevalence rate of 22% for delta, according to the outbreak.info portal from Scripps Research of the USA The site defines this as "the ratio of the sequences containing be. 1. 617.2 (delta's scientific name) to all sequences collected since the identification of be. 1. 617.2 in that location. ".

Upikey
01-01-22, 07:58
How much do prostitutes charge in Indonesia?

Gonz0
01-12-22, 23:44
How much do prostitutes charge in Indonesia?Such a vague question.

Same as prostitutes all over the world, prostitutes in Indonesia charge as much as they can depending on their situation. Could be 50 K Rp in one situation and 2 million in another.

If you want more detail then read the forum. People have already posted much information about the prices that prostitutes charge in various situations.

Menteng
07-09-22, 13:24
Arrived in Jakarta this week. Everything went super smooth, before and after the IMEI registration. Before reaching customs, a line of signs urges you to register the IMEI of your mobile phone (s). I travelled with two phones. An IPhone pro, my daily driver and a cheaper Samsung, to be used while on vacation.

A lady behind the window started the registration and needed to know the value of my phones. The Samsung's was less than 500 euro's and the IPone's was more than 1000 euro's.

She said, that since the value of the IPhone exceeds 500 euro I will have to pay a tax if I want to use that during my stay. I told her that that was not very visitor-friendly because I believe that many visitors will have a mobile phone that costs more than 500 euro's.

So I had my cheaper Samsung registered while thinking to get me an Indonesian sim card anyway, once in the city. Alas, I already have five failed attempts. The reason? They couldn't find my IPhone's IMEI in the system.

A friend handed me a solution. Top up my Samsung and tettering with my Iphone will provide me a "normal" use of the latter.

Papae Noel
07-09-22, 15:51
..register the IMEI of your mobile phone (s). I travelled with two phones. An IPhone pro, my daily driver and a cheaper Samsung, to be used while on vacation.

So I had my cheaper Samsung registered while thinking to get me an Indonesian sim card anyway, once in the city. Alas, I already have five failed attempts. The reason? They couldn't find my IPhone's IMEI in the system.

A friend handed me a solution. Top up my Samsung and tettering with my Iphone will provide me a "normal" use of the latter.I arrive in Jakarta next week (after 2. 5 years). I also have 2 phones. Is it possible to skip that line if I choose to, and just continue on to Customs? My USA Plan, T Mobile, works in Bangkok although just 2 G. But don't remember how it worked in Jakarta from my last trip. I really would like to have GoJek or Bluebird available, and not at 2 G. How were you able to tether one to the other? I have a cheap A32 Samsung, and also a pricey Note 21 Plus, so just probably register the A32, which actually should work well enough with an Indonesian SiM.

Blacka0
07-09-22, 15:55
Arrived in Jakarta this week. Everything went super smooth, before and after the IMEI registration. Before reaching customs, a line of signs urges you to register the IMEI of your mobile phone (s). I travelled with two phones. An IPhone pro, my daily driver and a cheaper Samsung, to be used while on vacation.

A lady behind the window started the registration and needed to know the value of my phones. The Samsung's was less than 500 euro's and the IPone's was more than 1000 euro's.

She said, that since the value of the IPhone exceeds 500 euro I will have to pay a tax if I want to use that during my stay. I told her that that was not very visitor-friendly because I believe that many visitors will have a mobile phone that costs more than 500 euro's.

A friend handed me a solution. Top up my Samsung and tettering with my Iphone will provide me a "normal" use of the latter.Brother I have had the same problems with also my expensive iphone 13 pro max I couldn't use my indonesian simcard the solution is very simple just go to central park mall top floor simpati and go to the counter and show your foreign paspoort they will activate it for 3 months with your imei number and its absolutely free of charge very simple indeed, I also don't want to pay tax for my own phone are they crazy in Indonesia?

Ggekko2009
07-09-22, 17:32
I arrive in Jakarta next week (after 2. 5 years). I also have 2 phones. Is it possible to skip that line if I choose to, and just continue on to Customs? My USA Plan, T Mobile, works in Bangkok although just 2 G. But don't remember how it worked in Jakarta from my last trip. I really would like to have GoJek or Bluebird available, and not at 2 G. How were you able to tether one to the other? I have a cheap A32 Samsung, and also a pricey Note 21 Plus, so just probably register the A32, which actually should work well enough with an Indonesian SiM.It started back in 2020, but of course not many of us would have reported about this issue then for obvious reason.

If you continue to use T-Mobile, you should be fine and T-Mobile might have even upgraded that speed to 256 kbps for everyone. Still slow but should be decent enough for the taxi app. I used to always purchase high speed data from T-Mobile whenever I travel. Now my plan allocates me 5 GB of high speed data every month, and it works well enough for me.

This is only an issue if you want to use the local SIM card. If you are not planning any local SIM card on your phone, I will not be bothered to register it. But as long as the value is less than USD 500, you should not need to pay any tax.

I think you might even get a waiver if you plan to use it for less for 90 days as a foreign tourist. Maybe you can get it done when purchasing local sim card from the local shop and they can register and activate it for you on the spot. This is based on what I had been told, so YMMV.

Papae Noel
07-10-22, 00:00
It started back in 2020, but of course not many of us would have reported about this issue then for obvious reason.

If you continue to use T-Mobile, you should be fine and T-Mobile might have even upgraded that speed to 256 kbps for everyone. Still slow but should be decent enough for the taxi app. I used to always purchase high speed data from T-Mobile whenever I travel. Now my plan allocates me 5 GB of high speed data every month, and it works well enough for me.

.Just chatted with TMobile. My plan includes Simple Global feature. Up to 5 GB Hi-speed data, and then up to 256 Kbps, unlimited text, and. 25 cents / min for any calls while in Indonesia. Just need to send text #766# to turn on international roaming, and #763# to turn off. Not sure how much data will be used if not actively using the phone while roaming. Probably try to keep it off except when needed.

I still haven't confirmed if insurance is needed, and if they ask for evidence at CGK. Bought it several times for Thailand and Brazil, but tired of throwing money away.

Sammon
07-10-22, 02:33
Just chatted with TMobile. My plan includes Simple Global feature. Up to 5 GB Hi-speed data, and then up to 256 Kbps, unlimited text, and. 25 cents / min for any calls while in Indonesia. Just need to send text #766# to turn on international roaming, and #763# to turn off. Not sure how much data will be used if not actively using the phone while roaming. Probably try to keep it off except when needed.

I still haven't confirmed if insurance is needed, and if they ask for evidence at CGK. Bought it several times for Thailand and Brazil, but tired of throwing money away.I have the same T mobile world plan. Texts are unlimited. Only voice calls cost money. For data it is limited. But use wi fi wherever you go. Nowadays all the places you visit like restaurants, salons, massage places, clubs and of course hotels and stores has wi fi you can use. One good thing is nobody knows where you are. Anybody calls can reach you and also you can call anybody. Even the caller I the says just your number and name and not which place you are in the world.

Madvic
07-13-22, 12:31
I use T-mobile all over the world, even now. It's a handy way to bypass censors, like in Indonesia.

MadVic.

Papae Noel
07-15-22, 08:11
I use T-mobile all over the world, even now. It's a handy way to bypass censors, like in Indonesia.

MadVic.Same same, I have never opened any of my phones to swap out the SIM (usage in various countries like yourself). Last night, used Gojek to from hotel to another hotel. Good signal at all times. FWIW, I noticed the IMEI registration desk just prior to Immigrasi. It was closed up for the night at 11:25 pm.

Anyone else wondering about travel insurance, nobody asked to see. Maybe not required, but still not sure.

BKKguru
08-14-22, 11:28
Folks,

On arrival in Jakarta, I paid for a 30 day VOA. The VOA Sticker gives the Date of Entry and Valid Until Date.

Question:

Can I use the VOA to enter Indonesia *twice* in a 30 day period? For example:

I arrive in Jakarta on January 1st and get the VOA valid until January 30th. If l fly out of Indonesia on January 8th, can I use the same VOA to enter Indonesia on January 18th?

Or do I have to pay for a new VOA when I arrive on Jan. 18th?

Thanks,
~BKKguru.

Egy Monger New
08-14-22, 11:56
Folks,

On arrival in Jakarta, I paid for a 30 day VOA. The VOA Sticker gives the Date of Entry and Valid Until Date.

Question:

I arrive in Jakarta on January 1st and get the VOA valid until January 30th. If l fly out of Indonesia on January 8th, can I use the same VOA to enter Indonesia on January 18th?

Thanks,
~BKKguru.Need to pay for a new VOA regardless when you fly out.

BenderOver
08-14-22, 19:11
Folks,

Question:

Thanks,
~BKKguru.You buy the VOA and it's an Immigration sticker with a holographic security mark on it. It's applied into your passport page and stamped a date of entry. When you LEAVE Indonesia, immigration with close out that first entry stamp with an exit stamp (different shape, different color ink) but it'll be on the same page as the entry. Once you've exit stamped that entry stamp, you start all over! So yes, you need to buy a new VOA again.

Pre COVID, there was also Visa Exempt, which was no cost and you could enter and exit with the ink stamp alone. These were restricted to non-business non-commercial and tourism only with a 30 day limit.

During COVID, there were the travel visas that were granted through tour companies or you needed a work sponsor to apply online for you. I ended up getting some non-holographic QR sticker for that entry. Also ink stamped entry and exit.

BKKguru
08-15-22, 05:59
Thanks for the detailed response.

Too bad they do not offer multiple entry within the 30 day period.
I understand this is Revenue for the Indonesian Government which is hard to give up.

I would like to evaluate the KITAP option. Any recommendation for an Agent in Jakarta who can help with KITAP?

Thanks again,
~BKKguru.

You buy the VOA and it's an Immigration sticker with a holographic security mark on it. It's applied into your passport page and stamped a date of entry. When you LEAVE Indonesia, immigration with close out that first entry stamp with an exit stamp (different shape, different color ink) but it'll be on the same page as the entry. Once you've exit stamped that entry stamp, you start all over! So yes, you need to buy a new VOA again.
<snip>

BaddHabbit
08-17-22, 15:56

I understand this is Revenue for the Indonesian Government which is hard to give up.

I would like to evaluate the KITAP option. Any recommendation for an Agent in Jakarta who can help with KITAP?

Thanks again,
~BKKguru.If you travel a lot around Southeast Asia for business then consider trying to apply for an APEC card. I have one and it gives me unlimited Visa-free, charge-free entry to 20 different countries in Asia for five years. Also gives you access to diplomatic lanes through customs and a few other perks. Very very worthwhile.

Possessed Seoul
08-20-22, 17:57
KITAP is a marriage visa, similar to permanent residency. KITAS is for someone sponsored to work in Indonesia, although I believe you can get one if you set up your own company. There are business visas that can be had for a substantial price that allow longer stays. Take a look at Okusi Associates or a similar company for assistance with that.

Thanks again,
~BKKguru.

Pouet017
08-26-22, 21:31
Hi guys,

Planned to go to Jakarta in October, seems that I need to pay the VOA since my country is listed in. Can I pay the VOA fees with euros? USD? Or I need to exchange in order to pay the 500 K IRD at the border?

I also planned to move to Bali and return to Europe from Bali, do I need to pay VOA once again?

Thanks.

DownUnderMonger
08-27-22, 16:49
Hi guys,

Planned to go to Jakarta in October, seems that I need to pay the VOA since my country is listed in. Can I pay the VOA fees with euros? USD? Or I need to exchange in order to pay the 500 K IRD at the border?

I also planned to move to Bali and return to Europe from Bali, do I need to pay VOA once again?

Thanks.Yep there's a sign that gets updated every day. Notes only though.

VOA is single-engry so yep you will have to pay again if you leave Indonesia.

BKKguru
08-27-22, 18:35
Hi guys,

I also planned to move to Bali and return to Europe from Bali, do I need to pay VOA once again? Hi,

You have to pay Cash for the VOA. They accept USD and IDR. In IDR the fee is 500,000.
You can travel to Bali or any other city in Indonesia. VOA is Single entry only. You will have to purchase a new VOA, every time you visit Indonesia. Good Luck!

~BKKguru.

Pouet017
08-27-22, 19:25
Hi,

You have to pay Cash for the VOA. They accept USD and IDR. In IDR the fee is 500,000.
You can travel to Bali or any other city in Indonesia. VOA is Single entry only. You will have to purchase a new VOA, every time you visit Indonesia. Good Luck!

~BKKguru.Thanks for the clear answer I'll go with some usd then, just to be sure I won't be stuck.

Jingo10
08-28-22, 05:22
Hi guys,

Thanks.If you are staying less than 30 days then you may not need a voa (we do not from UK).

If you are staying between 30 and 60 days you will need a voa and need to extend it before the 30 days. This takes about 7 days and they keep your passport.

You do not need a new voa if flying internally and if your voa was from Jakarta then there is no problem extending in Bali.

You can pay at the airport in most currencies.

Llantarnam
09-01-22, 13:25
If you are staying less than 30 days then you may not need a voa (we do not from UK).Where did you get this information from? My understanding was that visa free travel was suspended due to covid, and as of 26th July 2022 nearly everyone (including UK) needs to get a visa on arrival. This link was updated 25th August.

https://kemlu.go.id/bern/en/news/17810/entering-indonesia-updated-on-27-april-2022

Adindas
09-20-22, 14:43
Where did you get this information from? My understanding was that visa free travel was suspended due to covid, and as of 26th July 2022 nearly everyone (including UK) needs to get a visa on arrival. This link was updated 25th August.

https://kemlu.go.id/bern/en/news/17810/entering-indonesia-updated-on-27-april-2022

Visa Waiver is indeed suspended and almost every single country will need VOA.

The above link (The UK is not on the list of VOA).

Is contradictory to this (The UK is on the list VOA) No. 82.

https://kemlu.go.id/london/en/news/18631/visa-on-arrival-voa-for-foreign-travellers

KrisMonger
09-25-22, 23:54
Heading to Indonesia for a week in October and was starting to look at twitter. Thanks Golfering for your prior note on deciphering twitter code!.

Few questions. Some of them ask DP (Deposit) to show up. Assuming I try to do something stupid like that is there an app in Indonesia that everyone uses for money xfer?

Also. Planning on taking my Google Fi phone there for roaming -anyone with Fi experience in Indonesia that can provide feedback will be great!.

Kris.

BenderOver
09-26-22, 07:47
If you are staying less than 30 days then you may not need a voa (we do not from UK).

If you are staying between 30 and 60 days you will need a voa and need to extend it before the 30 days. This takes about 7 days and they keep your passport.

You do not need a new voa if flying internally and if your voa was from Jakarta then there is no problem extending in Bali.

You can pay at the airport in most currencies.Not sure this info is legit. VOA is in full enforcement for qualified countries only (USA Is one of them of course, not sure about you. K. Status). Visa exemption has been suspended for the time being and seeing how many 500 k VOA's are being sold, I really doubt Visa exemption is going to be coming back anytime soon.

500 k VOA is accepted in IDR or $36 or $37 USD (I can't remember exactly how much because I've paid it so many times since it was $35, I can't remember if the exchange rate even affects the USD amount at the immigration counter). Limited currency types are accepted, so not sure about british pounds.

Llantarnam
09-26-22, 08:59
DP (Deposit) Other definitions are available.

Goferring
09-26-22, 22:32
Heading to Indonesia for a week in October and was starting to look at twitter. Thanks Golfering for your prior note on deciphering twitter code!.

Few questions. Some of them ask DP (Deposit) to show up. Assuming I try to do something stupid like that is there an app in Indonesia that everyone uses for money xfer?

Also. Planning on taking my Google Fi phone there for roaming -anyone with Fi experience in Indonesia that can provide feedback will be great!.

Kris.Thanks for the shout out.

Deposits in this case are used by the girls to prevent broke freeloaders from wasting the their time. I don't know any expats who have been held to paying them and I certainly wouldn't. For incalls (you go to her), if you turn up with dick in one hand and wallet in the other, then you won't be turned away. For outcalls she may want to see proof that you are here now: photos of room keys or window views showing recognisable landmarks often suffice. If in doubt just plead that you have no idea or facilities to make IDR transfers and move on if this isn't enough. Note that this may also label you as a newbie mark so keep your eyes open.

If you fall in love and simply must pay a DP, locals do it at an ATM. She will give her bank and account details and you use the ATM to pay into a 3rd party account. It takes a little mucking around to do it but it's not that difficult. Keep the receipt as evidence that you have paid her. ATMs do have an English option. Some of the more sophisticated girls may also have PayPal or GCash options but these are indications that she's definitely been around the block before so buyer beware. Once you have paid a deposit, you have zero chance of getting it back.

I have no idea on GoogleFi.

Enjoy. G.

LookAtWorld
11-09-22, 16:26
Along with VOA fee, any Covid test requirement for vaccinated travelers? Hopefully no. Anyone has first hand experience of entering Jakarta, please share. Thank you.

Not sure this info is legit. VOA is in full enforcement for qualified countries only (USA Is one of them of course, not sure about you. K. Status). Visa exemption has been suspended for the time being and seeing how many 500 k VOA's are being sold, I really doubt Visa exemption is going to be coming back anytime soon.

500 k VOA is accepted in IDR or $36 or $37 USD (I can't remember exactly how much because I've paid it so many times since it was $35, I can't remember if the exchange rate even affects the USD amount at the immigration counter). Limited currency types are accepted, so not sure about british pounds.

Irish Mongrel
11-09-22, 23:22
Along with VOA fee, any Covid test requirement for vaccinated travelers? Hopefully no. Anyone has first hand experience of entering Jakarta, please share. Thank you.Have had two trips into Indonesia via Bali over the past month. No Covid test requirements but you do need to be vaccinated. You can pre-register your vaccine or they will do it at the airport. You will also need the PeduliLindungi app on your phone. You generally won't require it, but that is were you vaccinations are stored once they are uploaded at the airport, and the odd place will ask you to scan in. Plaza Indonesia Mall was one of those places during my last visit to Jakarta.

Note: pre-registering your vaccinations, although a pain in the ass to do, can save you a bunch of time at the airport when you arrive at the airport. I missed a massive queue in Bali on my second trip in.

TakeThis
11-10-22, 04:17
I can second that: the PeduliLindungi app is really painful to operate. I needed a few runs, it even blocked me for a day because I put in the wrong vaccination, allthough it was the correct one.

I talked to my airline and they also confirmed that there is no PCR test mandatory if you are vaccinated. VOA requirments are depending on your country of origin, so you should definetly check that before arrival.

LookAtWorld
11-10-22, 14:43
Thank you for the vital information. Very helpful.

Have had two trips into Indonesia via Bali over the past month. No Covid test requirements but you do need to be vaccinated. You can pre-register your vaccine or they will do it at the airport. You will also need the PeduliLindungi app on your phone. You generally won't require it, but that is were you vaccinations are stored once they are uploaded at the airport, and the odd place will ask you to scan in. Plaza Indonesia Mall was one of those places during my last visit to Jakarta.

Note: pre-registering your vaccinations, although a pain in the ass to do, can save you a bunch of time at the airport when you arrive at the airport. I missed a massive queue in Bali on my second trip in.

BenderOver
11-14-22, 05:06
Have had two trips into Indonesia via Bali over the past month. No Covid test requirements but you do need to be vaccinated. You can pre-register your vaccine or they will do it at the airport. You will also need the PeduliLindungi app on your phone. You generally won't require it, but that is were you vaccinations are stored once they are uploaded at the airport, and the odd place will ask you to scan in. Plaza Indonesia Mall was one of those places during my last visit to Jakarta.

Note: pre-registering your vaccinations, although a pain in the ass to do, can save you a bunch of time at the airport when you arrive at the airport. I missed a massive queue in Bali on my second trip in.The PeduliLindingi App backend (operated by the Indonesians) can be terribly slow. As a foreigner, it's easy to navigate to upload your documents for review. However, for some damn reason, it took the review team 2 months to approve me.

While this isn't the end of the world, be advised that the large malls and the airports for domestic flights are checking PeduliLindingi for your vaccine verifications. You get around this by keeping a copy of your vaccine certificates handy and showing your foreign passport. Indonesians are usually super nice and will give you plenty of space especially if you're a foreigner. I was never forbidden from entering any mall or airport even though my PeduliLindingi was showing YELLOW as PENDING review.

The advice here is do the app early, because a GREEN verification is just plain easier than explaining about your foreign vaccination review status pending everytime you walk up to a PeduliLindingi QR scan area.

Gonz0
11-25-22, 09:58
I am planning to visit Indonesia mid 2023, and want to stay longer than 30 days.

Is the 30 day VOA the only tourist visa available at the moment?

It was previously possible to extend the 30 day visa once, without leaving the country. Is this still possible?

Are there other tourist visa options for a longer stay, other than leaving and returning every 30 days?

Gonz0.

Goferring
11-25-22, 12:22
I am planning to visit Indonesia mid 2023, and want to stay longer than 30 days.

It was previously possible to extend the 30 day visa once, without leaving the country. Is this still possible?

Are there other tourist visa options for a longer stay, other than leaving and returning every 30 days?

Gonz0.Check molina. Imigrasi. Go. ID. If you're on the list you can extend the VOA another 30 days. It takes 3 or 4 visits to the Immigration office though.

To stay longer than that, you will need a Social Visa which requires a Indonesian Citizen to sponsor.

Visa runs to Malaysia, Thailand or Singapore are cheap and reasonably common.

Menteng
11-25-22, 13:51
Visa runs to Malaysia, Thailand or Singapore are cheap and reasonably common.Is there a minimum stay abroad required now? Back in the day, I stayed one night in Singapore, but other members posted then, that it was possible to take a morning flight to Singapore and an afternoon flight back.

Goferring
11-26-22, 00:38
Is there a minimum stay abroad required now? Back in the day, I stayed one night in Singapore, but other members posted then, that it was possible to take a morning flight to Singapore and an afternoon flight back.Long enough to pass through arrival and departure immigration. Same day is fine. I've done morning to afternoon several times.

Gonz0
11-26-22, 01:15
Check molina. Imigrasi. Go. ID.I'm on the list, but there's no info about the procedure. I found it at Imigrasi. Go. ID / en / perpanjangan-izin-tinggal-dengan-visa-kunjungan-saat-kedatangan /. I don't think it will be worth the effort required to complete that process. Looks like the visa run is the simplest solution. Good to know that it could be done in one day, if flights are available. Thanks for the information.

Gonz0.

Goferring
11-26-22, 02:41
I'm on the list, but there's no info about the procedure. I found it at Imigrasi. Go. ID / en / perpanjangan-izin-tinggal-dengan-visa-kunjungan-saat-kedatangan /. I don't think it will be worth the effort required to complete that process. Looks like the visa run is the simplest solution. Good to know that it could be done in one day, if flights are available. Thanks for the information.

Gonz0.You're correct that renewal is time-consuming. It's three or four visits to Immigration. An agent makes it easier but it's never a five minute stamp and gone process.

There are a million flights available to SG, KL etc.

Hilo77
11-28-22, 16:19

Gonz0.In the old days I found that instead of flying direct to Indonesia and getting the 30-day visa on arrival, if you initially went to Singapore for example you could go to a travel agent, book a ticket with them and ask them to arrange a 60-day visa via the Indonesian embassy. It was a 24-hour affair (book in the morning, collect the following afternoon), involving a layover in Singapore but a night in Orchard Towers took the hard edge of that prospect. I don't know if that option is still available or if it suits your plans but it might be worth checking out.

Goferring
11-28-22, 20:32
In the old days I found that instead of flying direct to Indonesia and getting the 30-day visa on arrival, if you initially went to Singapore for example you could go to a travel agent, book a ticket with them and ask them to arrange a 60-day visa via the Indonesian embassy. It was a 24-hour affair (book in the morning, collect the following afternoon), involving a layover in Singapore but a night in Orchard Towers took the hard edge of that prospect. I don't know if that option is still available or if it suits your plans but it might be worth checking out.All correct but the 60 day visa no longer exists. If you call the embassy they will recommend 30 day VOA plus an extension.

One thing that no one has mentioned is will your airline let you on the plane for a 30+ day holiday if you are only holding a visa for 30 days? Many here recognise the VOA plus extension option but if you get a Karen at check-in, then all bets are off.

Jingo10
11-29-22, 16:59
One thing that no one has mentioned is will your airline let you on the plane for a 30+ day holiday if you are only holding a visa for 30 days? Many here recognise the VOA plus extension option but if you get a Karen at check-in, then all bets are off.I entered with a 90 day return flight, no problem without any other outbound flight and picked up a voa. But they would not extend my voa without proof of an outbound flight with the 30 days extension period. I flew Qatar airways.

Gonz0
11-30-22, 01:55
I entered with a 90 day return flight, no problem without any other outbound flight and picked up a voa. But they would not extend my voa without proof of an outbound flight with the 30 days extension period. I flew Qatar airways.When was this?

How difficult / time consuming, was it to organise the extension? Would you recommend it over paying 2 extra flights for a visa run?

Jingo10
11-30-22, 06:23
When was this?

How difficult / time consuming, was it to organise the extension? Would you recommend it over paying 2 extra flights for a visa run?This was 2 months ago, I'll be doing the same again very soon.

The voa extension process takes 3 trips to Denpasar immigration, but only the second is time consuming. It takes about 5 days to process and you have to leave your passport with them. First & third are to drop off and pick up documentation. The second one trip is for photograph and fingerprinting, which took about 2 hours (get there early). Even with an agent involved you obviously still have to attend for this.

I think it's 500 k to extend so cheaper than a visa run. Make sure you get the correct immigration office though as they will turn you away. I stay in sanur and can use the Denpasar immigration but I saw people turned away who were staying in cangu as there is another closer office for them. But I don't know where.

There are a few massage joints in Denpasar so you can mix a bit of business with pleasure or just visit the malls to see if you can get chatting to any girls.

Gonz0
11-30-22, 12:03
This was 2 months ago, I'll be doing the same again very soon.

The voa extension process takes 3 trips to Denpasar immigration, but only the second is time consuming. It takes about 5 days to process and you have to leave your passport with them. First & third are to drop off and pick up documentation. The second one trip is for photograph and fingerprinting, which took about 2 hours (get there early).

I think it's 500 k to extend so cheaper than a visa run. Make sure you get the correct immigration office though as they will turn you away.Thanks for the information. From the prices I have seen for flights, when I will need to renew my visa, it looks like it will be 5-6 times the cost of the visa extension, to make a visa run. And it will use up a whole day.

Maybe three visits to immigration over around 5 days will be worth it to save at least Rp 2 million?

How soon after arriving can you apply for the extension? Can you do it immediately?

You mention using an agent. Do you think someone who has not done this before, would be able to complete the application process on their own?

Jingo10
11-30-22, 12:33
Thanks for the information. From the prices I have seen for flights, when I will need to renew my visa, it looks like it will be 5-6 times the cost of the visa extension, to make a visa run. And it will use up a whole day.

Maybe three visits to immigration over around 5 days will be worth it to save at least Rp 2 million?

How soon after arriving can you apply for the extension? Can you do it immediately?

You mention using an agent. Do you think someone who has not done this before, would be able to complete the application process on their own?Have a look at the following (there is a government page for Bali but I can't see it).

https://jogja.imigrasi.go.id/extending-indonesia-visa-on-arrival-101/

You do it when you have about 10-14 days left on your initial voa.

It's not complicated and you get a morning or afternoon appointment for the 2nd & 3rd visit.

This is for Denpasar immigration.

Day 1 - go to the kiosk outside the main building, collect the forms and complete there. Hand back the forms, documents & passport. You will get an appointment slot for day 2. Pay at the far kiosk, no foreign cards allowed, take cash. There's a cafe around the back. You can also get printing done here if you need.

Day 2 - go early, go inside main building turn right and go to the end. Go in queue and you get a ticket with a number on it. The screens above shows the ticket numbers, you need to wait till it's your turn.

Day 3 - main building same queue, they will call your name and you get your passport back. Last time it took10 minutes.

Many people prefer to use agents I prefer not. You need a print out if the relevant documents.

AussieGaigin
12-04-22, 05:49
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63838213

By Thomas Mackintosh.

BBC News.

Indonesia's parliament is expected to pass a new criminal law this month that will punish sex outside marriage with imprisonment of up to a year.

Bambang Wuryanto, a politician involved in the draft, said the code could be passed as early as next week.

The law, if passed, would apply to Indonesian citizens and foreigners alike.

Punishment for adultery can only take effect if there are parties who lodge complaints to the authorities.

For those who are married, the party entitled to lodge a complaint is the perpetrator's husband or wife.

The law also allows the parents of unmarried people to report them for having sex.

Cohabitation before marriage will also be banned and those convicted could face a six-month prison sentence.

Business groups have expressed concern about the damage the rules might do to Indonesia's image as a holiday and investment destination, according to Reuters.

Shinta Widjaja Sukamdani, deputy chairperson of Indonesia's Employers' Association (APINDO), said: "For the business sector, the implementation of this customary law shall create legal uncertainty and make investors reconsider investing in Indonesia. ".

The previous draft of the code was set to be passed in 2019 but sparked nationwide protests with tens of thousands taking part in demonstrations.

Many, including students, took to the streets in cities across Indonesia with the main clashes taking place in the capital Jakarta.

Jakarta police battled protesters in 2019 who were angry over a new corruption law and proposed penal code.

Such strict laws on sex and relationships are not without precedent in parts of majority-Muslim Indonesia.

The province of Aceh enforces strict Islamic law and has punished people for gambling, drinking alcohol and meeting members of the opposite sex.

In one case in 2021, neighbours denounced two men for having sex. They each received 77 lashes from a police officer in a public caning.

On the same day a woman and man were each given 20 lashes for being caught in close proximity to each other, and two men were given 40 lashes each for getting drunk.

Menteng
12-05-22, 15:55
AussieGaigin:
So unmarried couples must avoid Indonesia. Must be a deathblow to tourism on Bali.

Mighty Spearsman
12-06-22, 00:26
AussieGaigin:
So unmarried couples must avoid Indonesia. Must be a death blow to tourism on Bali.Hey Menteng, nice to see that you are still around.

I'm curious as to whether the authorities would ever enforce that proposed law in Bali itself, precisely because Bali is the main tourism draw for Indonesia (I think it's the #1 tourism spot in all of Southeast Asia) and a lot of tourism dollars flow through there.

The article is also mixing apples and oranges by ending with a couple of scary paragraphs on Aceh, as that province has been run differently from the rest of Indonesia for a fairly long time (and has very few tourists as a result).

We'll see.

Menteng
12-06-22, 11:06
Hey Menteng, nice to see that you are still around.Likewise big guy!

I'm curious as to whether the authorities would ever enforce that proposed law in Bali itself, precisely because Bali is the main tourism draw for Indonesia (I think it's the #1 tourism spot in all of Southeast Asia) and a lot of tourism dollars flow through there.

The article is also mixing apples and oranges by ending with a couple of scary paragraphs on Aceh, as that province has been run differently from the rest of Indonesia for a fairly long time (and has very few tourists as a result).

We'll see.Well, I hope the family of the friend where I stay when in Jakarta, keep liking me, since they are the ones who could tell on us. LOL!

Madvic
01-13-23, 06:22
It's been a long time since I have had to do a visa run, but had no choice recently.

So, checked AirAsia and found the cheapest flight was up to KL and back the same day. I also checked flights to Singapore and BKK. Booked it about 3 weeks out.

When time came, I did online check in and boarding passes. While in CGK Departure, I was thinking that maybe I can just get downstairs to Arrivals and save the hassle of flying to / from KL. But, I remember one time, the Indo VOA officer wanted to see my boarding pass. So decided to head out to KL.

Get to KL and was thinking, "I have no checked bags and already have my boarding pass. ". So, instead of going through immigration, I went to connecting flights.

Worked out no problem. Super easy.

And when I got back to CGK, in early morning, the VOA officer had no interest in my boarding pass. He didn't even ask me any questions. Just applied the stickers & time stamp, then sent me on my way.

MadVic.

HelloYou
01-13-23, 08:44
It's been a long time since I have had to do a visa run, but had no choice recently.

So, checked AirAsia and found the cheapest flight was up to KL and back the same day. I also checked flights to Singapore and BKK. Booked it about 3 weeks out.

When time came, I did online check in and boarding passes. While in CGK Departure, I was thinking that maybe I can just get downstairs to Arrivals and save the hassle of flying to / from KL. But, I remember one time, the Indo VOA officer wanted to see my boarding pass. So decided to head out to KL.

Get to KL and was thinking, "I have no checked bags and already have my boarding pass. ". So, instead of going through immigration, I went to connecting flights.

Worked out no problem. Super easy..Sorry I'm not clear whether you flew to KL or did you stay in CGK the whole time? So did you go to the boarding area on CGK then come back through the connecting gate without flying away?

Or did you fly to KL and came back?

Madvic
01-14-23, 15:07
Sorry I'm not clear whether you flew to KL or did you stay in CGK the whole time? So did you go to the boarding area on CGK then come back through the connecting gate without flying away?

Or did you fly to KL and came back?I thought it was pretty clear, as I had mentioned getting to KL. And getting back to CGK.

I did debate on just trying to find a way downstairs to Arrivals, in CGK, and skip flying to KL and back (not sure if it's even possible). But, as I had said before, a while back, a VOA officer wanted to see my boarding pass from my Arriving flight. So. I went ahead flew up to KL and back.

MadVic.

Hilo77
01-15-23, 10:24
I thought it was pretty clear, as I had mentioned getting to KL. And getting back to CGK.

I did debate on just trying to find a way downstairs to Arrivals, in CGK, and skip flying to KL and back (not sure if it's even possible). But, as I had said before, a while back, a VOA officer wanted to see my boarding pass from my Arriving flight. So. I went ahead flew up to KL and back.

MadVic.How did you think you were going to get into the immigration line for arriving passengers from the arrivals concourse?

Madvic
01-15-23, 16:24
How did you think you were going to get into the immigration line for arriving passengers from the arrivals concourse?Arrivals come in downstairs. I was thinking there would be a stairwell or just go to a gate and go down the Arrivals route. Worse case, ask an airport staff member.

Not sure why it's a big concern still. As I said, I took the flight to KL and back. I just was thinking if it is possible while waiting for my flight to KL.

MadVic.

Hilo77
01-16-23, 05:13
Arrivals come in downstairs. I was thinking there would be a stairwell or just go to a gate and go down the Arrivals route. Worse case, ask an airport staff member.

Not sure why it's a big concern still. As I said, I took the flight to KL and back. I just was thinking if it is possible while waiting for my flight to KL.

MadVic.No big concern at all, I just can't believe that you thought you could access the immigration line from the arrivals area.

To even try to do so would set off so many security alerts that you'd probably spend a couple of nights in the airport holding cell in handcuffs before being deported back to your home country.

Have you been in many airports? Have you seen how they are laid out?

Madvic
01-16-23, 14:57
No big concern at all, I just can't believe that you thought you could access the immigration line from the arrivals area.

To even try to do so would set off so many security alerts that you'd probably spend a couple of nights in the airport holding cell in handcuffs before being deported back to your home country.

Have you been in many airports? Have you seen how they are laid out?I guess you missed my comment about maybe asking an airport staff member if they could help me.

I have been to quite a few airports all around the world, do you want to compare lists? LOL.

MadVic.

FriendlyPlanet
01-16-23, 16:55
You could tell a staff member at the departure gate that you left some vital medicine at home- more likely than not, they'd just send you back out through arrivals. Still run the risk that the immigration officer asks for an inbound boarding pass, but that happens rarely. I left my carryon bag in a restaurant landside once in Singapore, went back out through arrivals immigration, grabbed the bag and went back in airside through emigration again. They did notice the short round trip, but when I explained about the bag, they had no issue with it.

I guess you missed my comment about maybe asking an airport staff member if they could help me.

I have been to quite a few airports all around the world, do you want to compare lists? LOL.

MadVic.

Jingo10
01-17-23, 03:41
The old paper forms you had till fill in at customs are gone and you need to complete it online which can be done in your home country before flying. You receive a QR code which they scan and it is quick.

But there were a lot of people trying to do it at the customs check point on the dodgy airport WiFi and were struggling to connect.

https://ecd.beacukai.go.id

One interesting thing is if you are staying longer than 90 days they want the IMEI number for all you devices, phone's, tablets etc.

Also getting a SIM seems to have changed. They take your IMEI when getting a SIM and you are only allowed one month (with no topping up). After one month you have to buy a new SIM and they told me you can only have 2 Sims per trip (although I've not reached this yet).

Madvic
01-18-23, 07:34
The old paper forms you had till fill in at customs are gone and you need to complete it online which can be done in your home country before flying. You receive a QR code which they scan and it is quick.

But there were a lot of people trying to do it at the customs check point on the dodgy airport WiFi and were struggling to connect.

https://ecd.beacukai.go.id

One interesting thing is if you are staying longer than 90 days they want the IMEI number for all you devices, phone's, tablets etc.

Also getting a SIM seems to have changed. They take your IMEI when getting a SIM and you are only allowed one month (with no topping up). After one month you have to buy a new SIM and they told me you can only have 2 Sims per trip (although I've not reached this yet).Yes, I already have the website saved and ready to use before entering.

My T-mobile sim card works ok here (using it now to get around local block), and I usually find wifi when out. So, no need for local SIM card.

I have basically been here for almost a year (my little birdwatcher keeps me well tended to), but coming and going. Never registered my laptop.

What kept me from trying to get around the round trip flight and ask airport staff, was that previously, I have had VOA officers ask to see boarding pass of my flight into Jakarta. I had the AirAsia electronic copy, but that was for later that night.

But dammit, when I did come back later that night / early morning, the VOA officer did not even talk to me or ask to see the boarding pass. He just did his thing and sent me on my way.

Ah well. At least, I finally got to see KLIA2.

MadVic.

TravelingMan3
01-21-23, 02:12
Hi everyone I'm a bit confused can you fly into Jakarta or do you have to go to Bali.

BenderOver
01-22-23, 09:32
Hi everyone I'm a bit confused can you fly into Jakarta or do you have to go to Bali.Yes. Internationally, you can fly into CGK. It's usually cheaper to land there than Bali.

Menteng
01-28-23, 19:52
Your PM box is full. Couldn't send you an answer.

Golfinho
01-29-23, 09:06
Hi everyone I'm a bit confused can you fly into Jakarta or do you have to go to Bali.Yes. Internationally, you can fly into Bali. It's usually cheaper to land there than CGK -- sometimes, but sometimes not. Most of the times the price difference is nominal. It mostly depends from where you're flying.

Menteng
01-30-23, 12:02
Yes. Internationally, you can fly into Bali. It's usually cheaper to land there than CGK -- sometimes, but sometimes not. Most of the times the price difference is nominal. It mostly depends from where you're flying.If you plan to visit both places, take a return ticket to the farthest destination and have a stop-over at the other. That is what I used to do.

Menteng
02-04-23, 18:17
July, last year, when arriving at Jakarta airport I had to register my IMEI numbers and the values of my mobile phones. The officer of customs told me I had to pay tax for the one that was worth more than 500 dollars.

Is that ridiculous measure still valid? If so, we might expect the same shti for watches, laptops and so on in the near future.

And how did you deal with the mobile phone issue?

Mighty Spearsman
02-04-23, 23:43
July, last year, when arriving at Jakarta airport I had to register my IMEI numbers and the values of my mobile phones. The officer of customs told me I had to pay tax for the one that was worth more than 500 dollars.

Is that ridiculous measure still valid? If so, we might expect the same shit for watches, laptops and so on in the near future.

And how did you deal with the mobile phone issue?This is important info, thanks for posting it. And you're right, they may start checking laptops next.

I use an iPhone 13 in the US, but when I travel overseas, I bring a cheaper Samsung Galaxy 12 with me and buy a local SIM card. The phone costs around $155 in the US, which is way below the $500 threshold you mentioned. I also upload WhatsApp so people in the US can contact me. If something happens to the phone, it's no big deal especially as I don't have any confidential information on it.

JonesLover
04-15-23, 19:22
Hello, I know the Filippines but not Indonesia. I sometimes wonder the difference between an Indonesian and a Filipina girl. I don't mean pros, just regular girls. It's easier to meet and stay for a few days with an Indonesian or Filipina. I certainly hope that those who know both countries well will answer me. I'm really curious about it, though in general.

Tommy Suharto
05-24-23, 08:50
Anyone that can help me with some info on flying the GF into Australia? On a tourist visa.

It's getting cold here. I only want her here for 2 weeks.

I understand I have to write her a sponsor letter (how applicable) and that she has to apply for a tourist visa in Jakarta (she already has a passport).

But where? The Australian embassy? Or AVAC? Where is that. And is it current? I googled it, but it shows up on 2 different addresses.

TIA.

Nuttin Serious
05-24-23, 11:57

Is that ridiculous measure still valid? If so, we might expect the same shti for watches, laptops and so on in the near future.

And how did you deal with the mobile phone issue?I didn't have to do anything of the sort when I went in October last year. No questions about phones, numbers or values.

Python75
05-24-23, 12:20
Anyone that can help me with some info on flying the GF into Australia? On a tourist visa.

I understand I have to write her a sponsor letter (how applicable) and that she has to apply for a tourist visa in Jakarta (she already has a passport).

But where? The Australian embassy? Or AVAC? Where is that. And is it current? I googled it, but it shows up on 2 different addresses.

TIA.I used: https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/login to get my filipina GF a visa for Australia. It was quite easy. I filled it in myself.

Menteng
05-25-23, 06:51
I didn't have to do anything of the sort when I went in October last year. No questions about phones, numbers or values.Just found this: The rules have slightly changed, foreigners can use their phone for a period of 90 days without registering!

Offshore Swell
05-25-23, 09:51

TIA.VFS global in Kuningan handle Australian visa applications. They are real pricks. She needs to have good evidence she has reason to return to Indonesia IE children, job, money in the bank. Prevous travel history always helps esp Schengen, UK or US. The Indonesian staffers at the Australian embassy can be pretty brutal in rejecting applications. Good luck.

Tommy Suharto
05-26-23, 04:48
VFS global in Kuningan handle Australian visa applications. They are real pricks. She needs to have good evidence she has reason to return to Indonesia IE children, job, money in the bank. Prevous travel history always helps esp Schengen, UK or US. The Indonesian staffers at the Australian embassy can be pretty brutal in rejecting applications. Good luck.Thank you OS. I kind of get the same vibe by reading the review comments about VFS on Google Maps. "Indonesia maju". But maybe not today.

I used: https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/login to get my filipina GF a visa for Australia. It was quite easy. I filled it in myself.So doing it online, yourself, would be the better option? And I do the visa application for her, in her name, here in Oz? I doubt she could do it herself, I didn't select her on her academic achievements.

Nuttin Serious
05-26-23, 10:00
Just found this: The rules have slightly changed, foreigners can use their phone for a period of 90 days without registering!I'm going back in a couple of weeks, will advise of any changes.

Yes, in October 2022 no questions asked, roaming worked seamlessly, as did vpn, and gojek also worked, I registered it before I reached Jakarta. But I don't think Gojek will work this time, it seems to only want to accept indo phone numbers.

Python75
05-26-23, 16:33
Thank you OS. I kind of get the same vibe by reading the review comments about VFS on Google Maps. "Indonesia maju". But maybe not today.

So doing it online, yourself, would be the better option? And I do the visa application for her, in her name, here in Oz? I doubt she could do it herself, I didn't select her on her academic achievements.Yes to both your questions.

Bacchuss
07-19-23, 18:16
Do you think, its a good idea to go to Indonesia in January, during the rainy season? Do have girls in Jakarta as usual, and it's possible to surf at Bali?

I can't go before, and after, there are the general election, and I am not sure it will be a good time for mongering.

Hilo77
07-22-23, 06:19
Do you think, its a good idea to go to Indonesia in January, during the rainy season? Do have girls in Jakarta as usual, and it's possible to surf at Bali?

I can't go before, and after, there are the general election, and I am not sure it will be a good time for mongering.Jakarta is a huge city, it's the business centre of Indonesia, the Greater Jakarta population is something between 20 and 30 million people. They live and work in the city, it's not a seasonal resort, there will be as many women in Jakarta in the rainy season as during the hot season. The only difficulty might be flooding, which is a localized problem that can pretty much happen at any time in the months from September to April, at worst it might screw up your travel plans for one evening and you'll have to fall back on an alternative plan somewhere else.

The election will have no effect on mongering. Jakarta people have got to eat, just like everyone else.

Mighty Spearsman
07-24-23, 21:58
Do you think it's a good idea to go to Indonesia in January, during the rainy season? Do have girls in Jakarta as usual, and it's possible to surf at Bali?

I can't go before, and after, there is the general election, and I am not sure it will be a good time for mongering.

Jakarta is a huge city, it's the business center of Indonesia, the Greater Jakarta population is something between 20 and 30 million people. They live and work in the city, it's not a seasonal resort, there will be as many women in Jakarta in the rainy season as during the hot season. The only difficulty might be flooding, which is a localized problem that can pretty much happen at any time in the months from September to April, at worst it might screw up your travel plans for one evening and you'll have to fall back on an alternative plan somewhere else.

The election will have no effect on mongering. Jakarta people have got to eat, just like everyone else.Hilo77's advice is correct. There's never a bad time to monger in Jakarta, except for the fasting month of Ramadan, which begins around March 10 in 2024, so you should be good to go if you visit in January.

Parasitius
08-03-23, 15:24

And how did you deal with the mobile phone issue?I wonder if it is about to get a lot worse based on the customs declaration I had to fill out yesterday. However, it does seem the <90 days are exempted. What happens if you bounce in and out too much? What happens if you get an extendable visa for short-term education and stay 120 days?

The application wanted all laptops, tablets, phones, and even headphones and their respective IMEI number. And that makes NO SENSE whatsoever. An IMEI is a cellular network communications number, my airpods and 2 laptops sure as shit don't have those.

Alex21
08-13-23, 11:25
Hi team,

Somewhat of a late bloomer and new to the monger world.

Late 30's guy from Australia looking to travel SE Asia mainly for paid sex.

I've been told I'm attractive with good skin, decent body, etc.

Problem is with Australia's rapidly growing Indian population I get mistaken for Indian all the time.

Is Indonesia a safe bet or what about Thailand or Filo in this regard?

Likely travel to Thailand at some point too.

Would also like to try some Indians and heard Mumbai is good for this (OT so will leave that for the other forum).

Thank you!!

Banana Boi
08-13-23, 21:07
Problem is with Australia's rapidly growing Indian population I get mistaken for Indian all the time.I'm guessing your question has more to do with acceptability of guys who look Indian more than actual hobby hotspots? I'm not Indian nor will I ever be mistaken as one but I'm guessing Phnom Penh should be first choice, then PI/Jakarta, Thailand/Vietnam, then Korea/Japan. Pre-COVID I would have said Kuala Lumpur. If you're light skinned, young, fit, attractive as you say, and don't ravel in a wolfpack you're not going to have issues anywhere.

Irish Mongrel
08-13-23, 23:15
Hi team,

Somewhat of a late bloomer and new to the monger world.

Late 30's guy from Australia looking to travel SE Asia mainly for paid sex.

I've been told I'm attractive with good skin, decent body, etc.

Problem is with Australia's rapidly growing Indian population I get mistaken for Indian all the time.

Is Indonesia a safe bet or what about Thailand or Filo in this regard?

Likely travel to Thailand at some point too.

Would also like to try some Indians and heard Mumbai is good for this (OT so will leave that for the other forum).

Thank you!!Mate, I would say it is more how you hold yourself than anything else. I have good Indian friends who have had plenty of fun in Jakarta. Can't say anything about the lower end side of town but in the higher end bars and clubs you are just one more guy with a pocket full of personality that the girls will want to know.

Menteng
08-30-23, 09:24
However, it does seem the <90 days are exempted. Presuming you will not use an Indonesian sim card.

WestCoast1
09-03-23, 10:31
From today's news:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/indonesia-offers-golden-visa-entice-foreign-investors-2023-09-03/

Jakarta (Reuters) - Indonesia is introducing a golden visa scheme to attract foreign individual and corporate investors in an attempt to boost its national economy, a statement from the ministry of law and human rights distributed on Sunday said.

"The golden visa is granting a residence permit for an extended period of five to 10 years," director general of immigration, Silmy Karim said in the statement.

The five-year visa requires individual investors to set up a company worth $2. 5 million, while for the 10 years visa, a $5 million investment is required.

SNIP..

Meanwhile, corporate investors are required to invest $25 million to get five-year visas for directors and commissioners. They need to invest double, or $50 million, to gain a 10 year visa.

Different provisions apply to individual foreign investors who do not want to establish a company in the Southeast Asian country. The requirements range from $350,000 to $700,000 in funds that can be used to purchase the Indonesian government bonds.

Pocket change.

Offshore Swell
09-03-23, 22:53
From today's news:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/indonesia-offers-golden-visa-entice-foreign-investors-2023-09-03/

Jakarta (Reuters) - Indonesia is introducing a golden visa scheme to attract foreign individual and corporate investors in an attempt to boost its national economy, a statement from the ministry of law and human rights distributed on Sunday said.

"The golden visa is granting a residence permit for an extended period of five to 10 years," director general of immigration, Silmy Karim said in the statement.

The five-year visa requires individual investors to set up a company worth $2. 5 million, while for the 10 years visa, a $5 million investment is required.

SNIP..

Meanwhile, corporate investors are required to invest $25 million to get five-year visas for directors and commissioners. They need to invest double, or $50 million, to gain a 10 year visa.

Different provisions apply to individual foreign investors who do not want to establish a company in the Southeast Asian country. The requirements range from $350,000 to $700,000 in funds that can be used to purchase the Indonesian government bonds.

Pocket change.An investor with $5 M US with no real investment strategy other than a desire to live in Indonesia forever. What could possibly go wrong?

OS thinks probably smarter to find one of the thousands of Janda's that just want a husband that treats them nicely, doesn't drink and beat them, gives them a small allowance each month and provides a home and a motorcycle. You wouldn't even need to live with her. Just give her a signed portrait of yourself to put on the wall for the neighbours to see and bingo!. That can probably be all achieved for USD $50 K. Then you get a KITAS convertible to KITAP after 2 years and permanence after a few more years even if your janda has woken up to your philandering ways and punted you. Minus the motorcycle of course.

BKKguru
09-05-23, 07:19
An investor with $5 M US with no real investment strategy other than a desire to live in Indonesia forever. What could possibly go wrong?

OS thinks probably smarter to find one of the thousands of Janda's that just want a husband that treats them nicely, doesn't drink and beat them, gives them a small allowance each month and provides a home and a motorcycle. You wouldn't even need to live with her. Just give her a signed portrait of yourself to put on the wall for the neighbours to see and bingo!. That can probably be all achieved for USD $50 K. Then you get a KITAS convertible to KITAP after 2 years and permanence after a few more years even if your janda has woken up to your philandering ways and punted you. Minus the motorcycle of course.It appears to me Indonesia is always a day late and Dollar short. Meaning, Thailand and Malaysia introduced new Visa progams some time ago. Thailand's program was a success and they are now planning to raise the bar to obtain the long term Visa. Malaysia's program is the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H). The MM2H was big hit with Expats. However, last year the Government revised the requirements. One of the new requirements is USD 10,000 in monthly income. Not surprisingly, the MM2H Applications have falled to an all time low. The rumour is the MM2H will be revised again based on complaints and criticism from Malaysian Real Estate Associations (one of the requirements is to invest in property worth MYR 1 Million).

OS, you bring up a good point about Janda's. I assume you have to "Register" the marriage and obtain a formal certificate to apply for the KITAS?

~BKKguru

Offshore Swell
09-05-23, 10:19
It appears to me Indonesia is always a day late and Dollar short. Meaning, Thailand and Malaysia introduced new Visa progams some time ago. Thailand's program was a success and they are now planning to raise the bar to obtain the long term Visa. Malaysia's program is the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H). The MM2H was big hit with Expats. However, last year the Government revised the requirements. One of the new requirements is USD 10,000 in monthly income. Not surprisingly, the MM2H Applications have falled to an all time low. The rumour is the MM2H will be revised again based on complaints and criticism from Malaysian Real Estate Associations (one of the requirements is to invest in property worth MYR 1 Million).

OS, you bring up a good point about Janda's. I assume you have to "Register" the marriage and obtain a formal certificate to apply for the KITAS?

~BKKguruCorrect! You would need to be able to marry. Theres a whole range of info on the subject online but a certificate of no impediment to marriage from your embassy or the equivalent from a certain street in Manila.

BKKguru
09-05-23, 11:27
Who would have guessed?

Sam Altman (Co-Founder & CEO, ChatGPT) is the first to get the Indonesian Golden Visa!

I had no idea Sam was into Indo girls. Don't be surprised if you see Sam in Classic or Emporium! LOL!!

On a serious note, it appears the Indonesian Government gifted the Golden Visa to Sam to create a marketing buzz. Details pasted below.

Jakarta (Bloomberg):

OpenAI Chief Executive Officer Sam Altman (pic) is the first person to get an Indonesian golden visa as South-east Asia's largest economy seeks to draw foreign investors.

The country's immigration authority issued a 10-year visa for Altman as he "has an international reputation and may bring benefits to Indonesia," said Immigration Director General Silmy Karim in a statement.

The co-founder of the ChatGPT creator would enjoy priority security screening at airports, longer stay periods and easier entry and exit processes, among other perks.

Introduced last week to boost economic development, the new visa allows foreigners who make substantial investments in the country to remain for between five and 10 years.

For example, an individual who invests US $350,000 into shares of local public companies, savings accounts or government bonds is eligible for a five-year stay.

It was not immediately known whether Altman, who visited Jakarta in June to speak on artificial intelligence, applied for the visa or has plans to invest in Indonesia.

Since their debut last year, OpenAI's tools have spurred a rush of investment into AI-supporting infrastructure by showcasing the potential of human-like intelligence using vast data centers.

Bacchuss
12-01-23, 10:15
Do you use your left hand with the girls?

The left hand is considered like "unclean" because it's use for toilet. And when I interact with Indonesian I don't use this hand.

But with the girls, my brain disconnect, and I don't care about that, but this year, I will try to have a real girlfriend, and keep her.

What are your experiences about that?

Knobbyxx
01-17-24, 16:21
Hello,

I am new to the Indonesia forum, but not new to ISG. I travel to Taiwan, China and Thailand frequently for work. However, I recently got a new client in Indonesia in the area around Gorontalo. I was hoping to get some advice.

1. is there any FUN to be had around the Gorontalo area?

2. From my understanding there is a NO sex law in affect in Indonesia for unmarried people. How enforced is this?

Thank you everyone!

FutureGuy
01-17-24, 23:30
Hello,

2. From my understanding there is a NO sex law in affect in Indonesia for unmarried people. How enforced is this?

Thank you everyone!The law is not yet in effect. It's also not that bad due to 2 facts:

1. it stipulates, that it is only a crime if a family member if filing a complaint at a court. Only at that time the police will investigate the incident. Catching unmarried people in the act on part of the police is not grounds for prosecution. Ironically that means sleeping with girls that you know from work or in your circle of friends is more risky than paying a prostitute (the latter doesn't know your identity and the parents don't know you).

2. it's Indonesia. A lot of laws are enforced very flexibly. Except capital crimes such as homicide or drug trade. Generally laws against "social disturbances" are more strictly enforced in provincial small towns. And paying bribes to prosecutors is depressingly common, if you can afford it. A poor girl can't pay a 10 million bribe to walk free. That 5 times her monthly income. A business man from Bandung can. That's 10% of monthly income.

Offshore Swell
01-18-24, 09:07
Do you use your left hand with the girls?

The left hand is considered like "unclean" because it's use for toilet. And when I interact with Indonesian I don't use this hand.

But with the girls, my brain disconnect, and I don't care about that, but this year, I will try to have a real girlfriend, and keep her.

What are your experiences about that?Perfect then to use your left hand then to loosen up her backdoor.

Menteng
03-15-24, 00:54
I'm considering moving to Jakarta for a year or so. Due to my age, I will need a good health insurance. A travel insurance will cost me 400 euros a month. So maybe you residents can tell me how much you pay for one person so I will be able to decide which one (travel or local one) to choose. I'll need a price and no link to Cigna or AXA etc. My age: 77 years. Thanks.