Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Tones

Quote Originally Posted by Freepeaks
    mā 媽 mother
    má 麻 hemp
    mǎ 馬 horse
    mà 罵 scold

There are alot of common words - that is old words - that are only seperated by a tone and yes if you get the tone wrong you can be misunderstood. Although I find southern chinese understand bad mandarin better than central/northern chinese perhaps becuase of the cantonese influence and the bad mandarin spoken there.

also i was once told that if you are misunderstood with what you think are the correct tones, drop them all use 1st tone (flat) and it might work.

It is better to carry a paper with the words in chinese and english and point. But you can learn if you really want to try.
    Actually it is even more complicated or easy how you want to look at it. Of course Chinese is a tonal syllabic language but ever seen Chinese talking and using English words or writing with their hands? When you talk fast or dialect (and everybody speaks a dialect in this country, even Beijing hua is not Putong hua, while close by) the tones become more and more irrelevant. The real secret is the context and the use of phrases. They form the basis for understanding what could be meant. Single words out of context very difficult, even for Chinese, ever seen somebody entering a taxi followed by a lenghty discussion what place they now mean.

That does not mean you can forget about the tones, they are important and of course a native speaker perfectly expresses these. But for a Chinese learner you will make much faster progress learning common phrases.

The main problem with our hobby is that being not mainstream business and provider do not always come from the highest social background they use terrible dialects and highly specific slang. Very difficult to capture

Just my 2 cent

FA

Quote Originally Posted by Meiguoguizi
    True. It's important to learn these in the context of 1) basic phrases and 2) tonal accuracy.
    Simply saying 'kou3 jiao1' and butchering the tones, and not distinguishing between the the sounds of 'jiao' as opposed to 'zhao' - the English 'j' sound is neither, will likely get you a blank stare.
    But standing on the street in front of a BBS and placing your fist in front of your mouth while you stick your tongue in your cheek to mimic a blowjob, while effective, likely elicit stares of another type.
    Recently, there's been outbreaks of foot mouth disease. I believe if you say "kou3 jiao1" incorrectly, they might think you're asking whether they have the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Man
    I don't think everyone got the joke. If I understand correctly, when you asked to use her pen (bi3), you inadvertently asked to use her vagina (bi1). No wonder you got weird stares.
    Yep. This happened a many years ago when my Chinese wasn't as good. I told my friend this and he was laughing his head off. Since then I always carry a pen around with me to avoid another instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Moody
    "Ji1 ba1" is more used in cursing, usually with "mao2" as in "ji1 ba1 mao2," which means, pubic hair."
    I've never heard a condom called that. It's usually called "tao4" as in "an1 quan2 tao4." If anything, "jiao2" refers to foot and if someone asks "jiao2 tong4 ma?" That's like asking if your foot hurts.
    Ok, this has been bothering me for some time. I don't know why people keep saying "da2 fei1 ji1" means "shoot the airplane." It doesn't. The "da2" is the same character they use when they say something like "da2 dian4 hua4," which does not mean "shoot the phone." It means something like, "do" or "play" as in "da2 ma2 jiang4" which again, doesn't mean "shoot the mahjiang."
    I'd previously compared what I often hear with the dictionary at mdbg.net. You may want to contact the webmaster and have him correct at least a few entries!

e.g

jiba ('cock'). I've heard this more than often enough, from woman who at least claim to be from various provinces, to know from context that they definitely ain't cursing
    http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindic...st=0&wdqb=jiba

jiao1 (rubber)
    http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindic...t=0&wdqb=jiao1

da3 (beat/shoot, as in 'beat/shoot the airplane'}:
    http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindic...rst=0&wdqb=da3
    Note that according to them, the 'da' in 'dadianhua' is the third tone, not the second as you say:
    http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindic...wdqb=dadianhua

Slang word for chinese

Ok, this has been bothering me for some time. I don't know why people keep saying "da2 fei1 ji1" means "shoot the airplane. " It doesn't. The "da2" is the same character they use when they say something like "da2 dian4 hua4, " which does not mean "shoot the phone. " It means something like, "do" or "play" as in "da2 ma2 jiang4" which again, doesn't mean "shoot the mahjiang. "
    Moody, I understand why you wouldn't understand da2 fei1 ji1. That phrase is more of a slang word derived from Chinese as another way of saying masturbate. Its just a thing you know or you do not know.

FK

I still remember the time I said the wrong tone for the word "pen" and I got some weird stares when I was asking a woman if I could use her pen.
    I don't think everyone got the joke. If I understand correctly, when you asked to use her pen (bi3), you inadvertently asked to use her vagina (bi1). No wonder you got weird stares.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade 2255
    This is a list of words and phrases I hear regularly at some of our typical dens of iniquity. I'm not proficient in Chinese at all so I may be incorrect in some of my interpretations. If I am then feel free to make corrections.

The bracketed words are the phoenetic equivalents of the preceding word for those not familiar with standard pinyin pronunciations.

didi or xiao (shi-ow) didi - dick, cutesy version. Literally "younger brother" or "little younger brother"
    ji ba - dick, nasty version. Apparently a Hokkien dialect import
    "Ji1 ba1" is more used in cursing, usually with "mao2" as in "ji1 ba1 mao2," which means, pubic hair."

qi (chi) lai - hard-on. Literally "stand up"

xiao (shi-ow) didi yifu - condom, cutesy version. Literally "little brother's clothing"
    jiao (ji-yow) - condom. Literally "rubber"
    jiao tong ma - asking if the condom is a comfortable fit. Literally "rubber hurts?"
    I've never heard a condom called that. It's usually called "tao4" as in "an1 quan2 tao4." If anything, "jiao2" refers to foot and if someone asks "jiao2 tong4 ma?" That's like asking if your foot hurts.

shufu (shoo-foo)/shufu ma - comfortable/ are you comfortable? If your little brother is enclosed by part of their anatomy while they state this then you can take it to mean either "it feels good" or "does it feel good?"

meimei (maymay) or xiao (shi-ow) meimei - the male of the species' coveted goal, the vagina. Literally "younger sister" or "little younger sister"

bu xing (boo shing)/mei you (may yoh)/bu (boo) ke (ker) yi - take one of these to mean that whatever you're attempting or asking for is not available or desired, at least not yet
    "bu4 xing2" means "not possible. which is basically the same as "bu4 ke3 yi3." Mei2 you3 means something like "don't have" or "haven't done."

da (duh) fei ji - handjob. Literally "shoot the plane"
    shou jiao - handjob. Literally "hand sex"
    Ok, this has been bothering me for some time. I don't know why people keep saying "da2 fei1 ji1" means "shoot the airplane." It doesn't. The "da2" is the same character they use when they say something like "da2 dian4 hua4," which does not mean "shoot the phone." It means something like, "do" or "play" as in "da2 ma2 jiang4" which again, doesn't mean "shoot the mahjiang."

[QUOTE=Comrade 2255]kou jiao - blowjob. Literally "mouth sex"

xiong (shi-ong) tui (toy)- titty job. Literally "breast push"

zuo (zoo-oh) ai (aye) - fuck, cutesy version. Literally "make love"
    cao - fuck, nasty version, being pronounced half-way between "sao" and "chao". The Chinese character for this word is interesting to say the least, being a composite of the character for "enter" placed above that for "flesh/meat"

kuai (kway) le/ kuai (kwai) dian - Literally "faster", which more likely translates to "get it done so I can get back to the lineup"/QUOTE]

kuai4 le4 means "happy." kuai4 dian3 means "hurry." If it's a girl telling you this, it's obviously going to have different connotations depending on which one she says.

chu (choo) lai (lah-yi) - to cum. Literally "come out"
    tuo (too-woh) - cumshot. Literally "spit"

xiu (shi-yu) xi (shi) - Literally "have a rest". If you hear this after the cleanup then they're either having a slow day ("bu mang"), obliged to spend a set amount of time with you, or they're interested, for whatever reason, in you being a return customer.

mā 媽 mother
    má 麻 hemp
    mǎ 馬 horse
    mà 罵 scold

There are alot of common words - that is old words - that are only seperated by a tone and yes if you get the tone wrong you can be misunderstood. Although I find southern chinese understand bad mandarin better than central/northern chinese perhaps becuase of the cantonese influence and the bad mandarin spoken there.

also i was once told that if you are misunderstood with what you think are the correct tones, drop them all use 1st tone (flat) and it might work.

It is better to carry a paper with the words in chinese and english and point. But you can learn if you really want to try.

This is a list of words and phrases I hear regularly at some of our typical dens of iniquity. I'm not proficient in Chinese at all so I may be incorrect in some of my interpretations. If I am then feel free to make corrections................

CUT
    If you want to learn to say any of these things, you really have to learn the tones. Mandarin is not like English where if you're a little off in saying something, people will still understand you. If you're off with a tone or two in saying something, the listener will either have no idea what you're saying, or will think you're saying something else. The beginner class begins with the 4 ways to say "ma." If you say it one way, it means horse, another, it means mother, another, it means to ***** someone out, and I forgot what the 4th one meant.

I still remember the time I said the wrong tone for the word "pen" and I got some weird stares when I was asking a woman if I could use her pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham Sap Lo
    Tried, but they didn't understand:
    水晶之恋 (shui3 jing1 zhi1 lian4): "crystal love".. supposed to mean multiple pops??
    I believe this refers to when they use those candy jelly things on you.

mongering literacy

Quote Originally Posted by FernandoAlonso
    Just a word of warning. These words are in general very situational and mostly slang. So what works in Shanghai does not in say Shenzhen. Also just using the words without a complete sentence or expression with a laowei pronounciation will leave often more confusion than what you desire to achieve. Additional in the heat of the moment you may have forgotten the correct expression anyhow.

I even made a list compiling all these words about 2 years ago, posted it here, printed it out and kept it in my wallet. I never used it. So in most cases using universal sign language is much more efficient. In these places people know what you want and what they offer or want to offer. So if they want to understand you they will, if they do not want for any reason you can speak perfect Mandarin and they will not get it.

just my experiences, not meant to disencourage anyone learning the language itself, that opens literally a new world, but these special words are more fun than of substantial value in most cases.

FA
    True. It's important to learn these in the context of 1) basic phrases and 2) tonal accuracy.
    Simply saying 'kou3 jiao1' and butchering the tones, and not distinguishing between the the sounds of 'jiao' as opposed to 'zhao' - the English 'j' sound is neither, will likely get you a blank stare.
    But standing on the street in front of a BBS and placing your fist in front of your mouth while you stick your tongue in your cheek to mimic a blowjob, while effective, likely elicit stares of another type.

Just a word of caution

This is a list of words and phrases I hear regularly at some of our typical dens of iniquity. I'm not proficient in Chinese at all so I may be incorrect in some of my interpretations. If I am then feel free to make corrections.

The bracketed words are the phoenetic equivalents of the preceding word for those not familiar with standard pinyin pronunciations.

didi or xiao (shi-ow) didi - dick, cutesy version. Literally "younger brother" or "little younger brother"

xiao (shi-ow) didi yifu - condom, cutesy version. Literally "little brother's clothing"
    jiao tong ma - asking if the condom is a comfortable fit. Literally "rubber hurts?"

shufu (shoo-foo)/shufu ma - comfortable/ are you comfortable? If your little brother is enclosed by part of their anatomy while they state this then you can take it to mean either "it feels good" or "does it feel good?"

meimei (maymay) or xiao (shi-ow) meimei - the male of the species' coveted goal, the vagina. Literally "younger sister" or "little younger sister"

bu xing (boo shing)/mei you (may yoh)/bu (boo) ke (ker) yi - take one of these to mean that whatever you're attempting or asking for is not available or desired, at least not yet

kou jiao - blowjob. Literally "mouth sex"

cao - fuck, nasty version, being pronounced half-way between "sao" and "chao". The Chinese character for this word is interesting to say the least, being a composite of the character for "enter" placed above that for "flesh/meat"

kuai (kway) le/ kuai (kwai) dian - Literally "faster", which more likely translates to "get it done so I can get back to the lineup"

xiu (shi-yu) xi (shi) - Literally "have a rest". If you hear this after the cleanup then they're either having a slow day ("bu mang"), obliged to spend a set amount of time with you, or they're interested, for whatever reason, in you being a return customer.
    Just a word of warning. These words are in general very situational and mostly slang. So what works in Shanghai does not in say Shenzhen. Also just using the words without a complete sentence or expression with a laowei pronounciation will leave often more confusion than what you desire to achieve. Additional in the heat of the moment you may have forgotten the correct expression anyhow.

I even made a list compiling all these words about 2 years ago, posted it here, printed it out and kept it in my wallet. I never used it. So in most cases using universal sign language is much more efficient. In these places people know what you want and what they offer or want to offer. So if they want to understand you they will, if they do not want for any reason you can speak perfect Mandarin and they will not get it.

just my experiences, not meant to disencourage anyone learning the language itself, that opens literally a new world, but these special words are more fun than of substantial value in most cases.

FA

Making Out in Chinese (Daniels, Tuttle Publishing)

I don't know if this book as been talked about here or not, but I found a book called "Making Out In Chinese" written by Ray Daniels (published by Tuttle Publishing).

This is a series of books that cover other languages, like Korean, Japanese, Arabic, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. You can look for it in bookstores, or order it online, or find it on Bittorrent (PDF download).

There are some good phrases taught in the book, here is a sample:

Wo3 zhong2 biao1 le. (I have a STD!)
    Ni2 chuan4 ran3 [pao2 zhen3] gei4 wo3 le! (You gave me [herpes]!)
    Wo3 kuai2 gao1 chao4 le! (I'm cumming!)
    Tian4 wo3. (Lick me)
    Xi1 wo3. (blow me)
    Hou2 bei2 ti1 wei2. (doggie style)
    Tuo1 xia2 ni3 de [xiong1 zhao2 / ku2 zi]. (Take off your [bra / underwear].)
    Ni2 you3 yue2 jin1 ma? (Are you on the rag?)
    Lao3 niu4 chi1 nen2 cao3. (Old cows eat tender grass; meaning old man who chases younger women).
    Cao2 ni3 ma1! (f*ck your mother!)
    Po1 fu2! (b*tch!)
    Biao3 zi! (wh*re!)
    Wang4 ba1 dan2! (Bastard, aka 'turtle egg!')
    Er2 bai4 wu3. (Bimbo, crazy, aka '250')
    Gai1 si3! (Damn it!)
    Shui4 fang2 pi2 le? (Who farted?)

Dar

kou jiao - blowjob. Literally "mouth sex"

kuai (kway) le/ kuai (kwai) dian - Literally "faster", which more likely translates to "get it done so I can get back to the lineup"

I've been looking through the pages and can't find these useful phrases, anyone care to share? It will be much appreciated!

How much for sex?
    How much for sex at my hotel?
    Stay longer!
    Come with me to England!

I'm only using the last phrase, if I meet a really gorgeous girl! hehe

Posting Limitations