"Germany
 La Vie en Rose
 Sex Vacation

Thread: American Politics

+ Add Report
Page 417 of 958 FirstFirst ... 317 367 407 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 427 467 517 917 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,255 of 14364
This blog is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by EihTooms  [View Original Post]
    Your passionate, knee-jerk defense of the Nasdaq was triggered by my wondering aloud why you continue to avoid referencing the Wall Street "standard" measure for how the broad market is doing, the S&P 500 Index, after you had been using the Dow and then switched to the Nasdaq in order to suggest "the USA stock market" was in a Bear Market simply because the Nasdaq closed below 20% from its all time record high.

So the discussion, your knee-jerk reaction, was absolutely about you defending why you tried to use the Nasdaq as that measure.

Then for some unknown winger lunatic reason you spun off into an argument only you imagined I made that an index fund tracking the Nasdaq would not be worth investing in or some such irrelevant nonsense.

Then along the way I told you exactly what I owned in the stock market, that I did not just "buy and hold" it for decades but instead accurately identified a couple of meaningful market tops and bottoms, bought low and sold high accordingly and that worked out even better for me than the simple "buy and hold" Index fund bet that Warren Buffett made and that resulted in professional active portfolio managers getting their "ass kicked" over a 10 year period.
    And there you go again with more mental masturbation. For the fourth time, what are you invested in right now?

It is pretty obvious why you do not want to say. For all your bullshit praising of Biden and his economic prowess, you are not putting your money where you mouth is. You are not betting on Biden and a higher stock market.

For the umpteenth time

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis2008  [View Original Post]
    And you are saying that you buy and hold. Why the fuck would you hold when literally every market indicator is saying things are getting worse?

And I will ask this again a third time. Are you long and betting that Biden is going to turn the stock market around?

Quit with the mental masturbation and say what you are specifically doing right now.

When the market tanks even more than it is now, I do not want you lying and coming back and sell you sold everything and went short. I want you out with it now.
    For the umpteenth time, I do not "buy and hold." I have in the past moved in, out and back in the market on accurate top and bottom calls, which is how I did a bit better than the market, beat the market overall since the 1990's.

But it isn't a perfect record. Nobody has a perfect record. For example, you can't exactly do "due diligence" on factors the rating agencies are lying about as happened prior to Bush2's second Bear Market Crash or on how much a so-called potus is lying to the world about what he knows to be the true deadly risks and rapid spread of a novel coronavirus. In order to get it right more often than by merely guessing, you need to be looking at fundamentals. And they can be overridden by unknowables.

And if I had foolishly been using the Nasdaq as a measure for the broad USA stock market then, gee, I guess I just missed identifying a major market top on which to sell, sell, sell. And so did you, right?

Well, now it appears you are begging me to tell you what I think the broad USA market as measured by the Wall Street standard S&P 500 Index is going to do next in these unprecedented times of Trump's Pandemic global supply-chain destruction, all its current and future variants and consequent inflation and Trump's boyfriend's threats of nuclear war, is that it?

Ok. It was obvious for months I had not been championing a meaningful Bear Market crash demonstrably greater than about 20% below the broad USA market's all time record closing high. And I have not changed my judgement about that recently.

Therefore, I did not sell, sell, sell out of the market with my Total Stock Market Index Fund at or near the broad USA stock market top. I would not have done that on the expectation of a possible market Correction, which we are still in after months of hysterics claiming the market is crashing. It hasn't.

And I do not yet see a reason based on fundamentals rather than on a hunch about a meteor crashing into NYC any minute now to seriously prognosticate a meaningful Bear Market Crash within days, weeks or months. I think the S&P 500 will probably be hitting the 5,000 level within a year, perhaps within this year. Imo, that would not justify a sell, sell, sell call right now.

However, for me this is all just academic anyway since I have already made and spent what I wanted and needed for a comfortable retirement from the stock market, pay little attention to it anymore, not even as a hobby. I live on income streams generated from my Southern California rental property, my private sector career pension and will someday soon start adding my Social Security check to the mix since I am fast approaching the 70 year maximum for it. For me, the market can do whatever it is going to do and it won't change my life. It already did that for me.

I don't need or rely on what the stock market is doing or will do anymore. As planned. So my days of working on due diligence in order to make another critical call are over. That is no longer critical to my retirement plans, pleasure or comfort.

Someone please explain

That is not the discussion. That is your discussion. You are doing what you always do and ignoring the data not supporting your case. The Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 are listed all the time. I would say the Dow is listed #1 then the NASDAQ and the the S&P 500 as guides to overall market performance. Yes, the S&P 500 is used as the benchmark for investing prowess, but I do not know what that has to do with anything. The NASDAQ is already in bear territory.

And in the last 100 or so years, the S&P 500 has had the third worst record this year. See the link: https://abnormalreturns.com/2022/05/...-for-humility/.

I am asking a third time what you are invested in. Seeing as how you are not going to list anything but index funds as what you have invested in, that means you are getting your ass kicked, and my question to you is why should anyone listen to you then?

If you knew jack shit about the market, you would know higher interest rates destroy stock market valuations as their multiple shrinks. Inflation hits profits because costs are higher. Then there is the inverted yield curve the most reliable indicator of an upcoming recession..
    Your passionate, knee-jerk defense of the Nasdaq was triggered by my wondering aloud why you continue to avoid referencing the Wall Street "standard" measure for how the broad market is doing, the S&P 500 Index, after you had been using the Dow and then switched to the Nasdaq in order to suggest "the USA stock market" was in a Bear Market simply because the Nasdaq closed below 20% from its all time record high.

So the discussion, your knee-jerk reaction, was absolutely about you defending why you tried to use the Nasdaq as that measure.

Then for some unknown winger lunatic reason you spun off into an argument only you imagined I made that an index fund tracking the Nasdaq would not be worth investing in or some such irrelevant nonsense.

Then along the way I told you exactly what I owned in the stock market, that I did not just "buy and hold" it for decades but instead accurately identified a couple of meaningful market tops and bottoms, bought low and sold high accordingly and that worked out even better for me than the simple "buy and hold" Index fund bet that Warren Buffett made and that resulted in professional active portfolio managers getting their "ass kicked" over a 10 year period.

You even quoted me saying that was my strategy.

To which you utterly incoherently replied then as now that my doing something I clearly and unambiguously stated I did not do got my "ass kicked."

Now, can you or anyone else explain why anyone ought to take anything you say about anything seriously after that display of blithering idiocy?

The discussion was about whether or not the Nasdaq is a meangful measure for what the broad USA stock market is doing on a given hour, day, week, month, quarter or year. And it is not, as your link makes the case that, historically, the Nasdaq performance differs significantly from what was happening in the S&P 500, the DOW and I would certainly add the Wilshire 5000.
    That is not the discussion. That is your discussion. You are doing what you always do and ignoring the data not supporting your case. The Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 are listed all the time. I would say the Dow is listed #1 then the NASDAQ and the the S&P 500 as guides to overall market performance. Yes, the S&P 500 is used as the benchmark for investing prowess, but I do not know what that has to do with anything. The NASDAQ is already in bear territory.

And in the last 100 or so years, the S&P 500 has had the third worst record this year. See the link: https://abnormalreturns.com/2022/05/...-for-humility/.

I am asking a third time what you are invested in. Seeing as how you are not going to list anything but index funds as what you have invested in, that means you are getting your ass kicked, and my question to you is why should anyone listen to you then?

If you knew jack shit about the market, you would know higher interest rates destroy stock market valuations as their multiple shrinks. Inflation hits profits because costs are higher. Then there is the inverted yield curve the most reliable indicator of an upcoming recession.

And you are saying that you buy and hold. Why the fuck would you hold when literally every market indicator is saying things are getting worse?

And I will ask this again a third time. Are you long and betting that Biden is going to turn the stock market around?

Quit with the mental masturbation and say what you are specifically doing right now.

When the market tanks even more than it is now, I do not want you lying and coming back and sell you sold everything and went short. I want you out with it now.

Did I hear someone say the NYT is fake news?

Night after night, the host of the most watched show in prime-time cable news uses a simple narrative to instill fear in his viewers: "They" want to control and then destroy "you."

A New York Times analysis of 1,150 episodes reveals how Tucker Carlson pushes extremist ideas and conspiracy theories into millions of households, five nights a week. He's done so since the beginning, but the show has gotten darker. Carlson, 52, has one of the largest megaphones in all of cable television. When President Donald Trump left office, Carlson filled the void on the right. Here's how the show works.

When you enter Carlson's world each night, you are among his 3 million-plus viewers and part of a Fox News audience that is 92% white and overwhelmingly older, according to Nielsen data. They are the "ruling class. " They threaten everything you believe in.

They include Democratic and Republican officials, members of the media, Big Tech executives, academics, sports and Hollywood stars, and others.

Carlson tells you over and over: They don't care about you and will do whatever they can to maintain power.

He frames nearly every topic on his show as a "ruling class" plot, from gun control to marijuana legalization to COVID-19 restrictions.

Even the Western response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, according to Carlson, is part of the plot. Why should you hate President Vladimir Putin when they cause everything Carlson says is wrong with society? The real enemies, Carlson implies with rhetorical questions, are his usual targets China and the USA "ruling class. " Putin, whose military has bombed Ukrainian civilians and committed atrocities, is not a foe.

It is worth noting that a USA District judge, in a 2020 ruling dismissing slander accusations against Carlson, said Fox News' lawyers argued persuasively that "any reasonable viewer 'arrive (s) with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes. " Carlson begins some segments with a grain of truth or an accurately quoted study, but then often distorts a concept to fit his narrative.

Carlson continually hammers at the idea that they care more about everything else identity politics, Afghan refugees, preventing a border wall, Roger Stone's prison sentence than you. Repetition and "they-you" framing are tools commonly used by populist or authoritarian leaders to create emotional connections with their followers.

Of 1,150 "Tucker Carlson Tonight" episodes that the Times analyzed, from November 2016 through 2021, Carlson invoked the "ruling class" in more than 800 shows.

The "ruling class," he says, wants you to just "shut up and obey."

Not only do they want to control you, Carlson warns, they want to destroy you and your way of life. They have various ways of doing this, he asserts, including importing immigrants from the "Third World" to replace you with more "obedient voters."

This premise is the crux of an unfounded racist conspiracy theory that falling birthrates and immigration are leading to the replacement of white people.

The theory echoes long-held beliefs of American white nationalists that a Jewish elite is orchestrating this replacement. ("Jews will not replace us," was the chant of white nationalists marching in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017.) Versions of "replacement theory" have been cited by perpetrators of mass shootings, like those who targeted a Pittsburgh synagogue and Hispanic shoppers in El Paso, Texas.

After Carlson promoted replacement theory on a show in April 2021, the Anti-Defamation League called for his firing.

The Times found that it was far from the first time Carlson had done so. He has amplified the idea of demographic replacement in more than 400 episodes.

Some of these segments begin with traditional conservative talking points about liberals being too weak on border security. But then Carlson continues on to say "by the way, this is a conspiracy by Democratic and some Republican elites to replace you," said Nicole Hemmer, a historian at Columbia University specializing in media, conservatism and the far right.

Carlson also posits that feminism and gender nonconformity threaten masculinity and contribute to falling birthrates. "You see that creation of the white male victim in Tucker Carlson's show," Hemmer said. "It's absolutely core to extremist circles."

Carlson highlighted shifting gender roles and falling birthrates in more than 200 episodes.

He also asserts that the ruling class' "obsession with race" and "equality" creates a world that favors the rights of people of color and discriminates against you, the viewer.

He spoke of discrimination against white people and minimized racism against people of color in at least 606 episodes.

Carlson uses white victimhood to play down the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the USA Capitol. He puts quotes around "insurrection," baselessly casting the riot as a "false-flag" operation instigated by federal officials to persecute conservatives. He asserts that they are punishing the mostly white crowd at the Capitol more harshly than the Black Lives Matter protesters who marched in the summer of 2020. Those rallies were largely peaceful.

White nationalists celebrate Carlson's message and success. "Does he actually believe in white nationalism?" asked are. Derek Black, a former white nationalist who has disavowed the movement. It doesn't really matter, he said, because Carlson is using the same rhetoric. Having the most popular cable news host "directly pulling" from their talking points "makes them feel like, 'Wow, we must be right, Black said.

David Duke, a former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan (and Black's godfather), said on Twitter in 2020 that Trump should choose Carlson as his running mate. Nick Fuentes, another white nationalist, cheered Carlson's promotion of replacement theory.

Andrew Anglin, founder of the white nationalist website The Daily Stormer, has called Carlson "literally our greatest ally. " Carlson's "replacement" message and Carlson himself has been used to promote a White Lives Matter rally.

Carlson also uses rhetoric similar to that of men's rights activists, nativists and others on the fringes of the right. "he is a linchpin, a central node, of these different discourses, a place where they can all converge," said Jennifer Mercieca, a historian of American political rhetoric and a professor at Texas A&M University. "And he repackages them in a way that makes his audience more likely to accept them."

Since Trump left office, Carlson has become the ideological enforcer of conservative populism. He has used his megaphone to weaponize cultural issues, like critical race theory and transgender rights, that drive the conversation in school boards and state capitals. And he sometimes uses his perch to punish Republicans who contradict his narrative. After Sen. Ted Cruz, are-Texas, called the Jan. 6 riot at the USA Capitol a "violent terrorist attack," he appeared on Carlson's show to apologize.

Carlson has said he thinks about the show in installments giving his audience one chapter tonight, one tomorrow. Many of his chapters end up in the same place: with warnings that the country and sometimes civilization itself is falling apart because of policies enacted by the "ruling class. " he has warned of such dire outcomes in nearly 600 episodes.

Over time, the show has evolved to become more potent and direct, an echo chamber of Carlson's narrative. Where Carlson once regularly interviewed guests who disagreed with him, he has increasingly devoted less airtime to opposing views and more to talking directly to you through his ever-growing monologues.

Earlier episodes almost always included at least one or two guests who disagreed with Carlson on issues like immigration and global warming.

Now, nearly all guests amplify Carlson's narrative.

Fox News did not change the guest format simply because liberals refused to come on the show, as Carlson has complained. Scrutinizing ratings data, the network learned that its audience didn't actually want to hear from the other side. "From my discussions with Fox News bookers, my takeaway is that they've made the judgment that they just don't do debate segments anymore," said Richard Goodstein, a Democratic lobbyist and campaign adviser who appeared more than 90 times on Carlson's show until the summer of 2020.

Carlson now spends more and more of the show on his opening monologues, talking directly to his viewers through the camera.

By 2020, monologues typically ran longer than 10 minutes, compared with earlier years when they were shorter or nonexistent. It's not unusual now for Carlson to talk into the camera at the start of the show for upward of 15 to 20 minutes.

He used two of his longest monologues to rail against Black Lives Matter protests in June 2020.

Over the years, the show has dedicated more segments to the most divisive issues. Carlson devoted five times as many hours to such topics in 2021 as he did in 2017, the first full year of the show, according to the Times' analysis.

In a statement, Justin Wells, the show's senior executive producer, stood up for Carlson's choice of topics and language: "Tucker Carlson programming embraces diversity of thought and presents various points of view in an industry where contrarian thought and the search for truth are often ignored. Stories in 'Tucker Carlson Tonight' broadcasts and 'Tucker Carlson Originals' documentaries undergo a rigorous editorial process. We're also proud of our ongoing original reporting at a time when most in the media amplify only one point of view."

If it's a weeknight, Carlson will be on. Over the course of an hour, he will look you in the eye and tell you that they want to control and then destroy you.

The wingers, of course, will say that the above is "fake news" because it comes from the New York Times.

Headlines.

Home.

Politics.

Tags: john durham.

Hillary Clinton.

Russia.

Trump.

Durham: Clinton Campaign Fed Mainstream Media 'Unverified Derogatory' Information About Trump.

Durham: Clinton Campaign Fed Mainstream Media 'Unverified Derogatory' Information About Trump.

Hillary Rodham Clinton.

By Nick Koutsobinas.

Sunday, 01 May 2022 06:13 PM.

Facebooktwitter.

Comment A A.

Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign flooded mainstream media outlets with "unverified derogatory information" about President Donald Trump that led to an investigation into the false Russian collusion narrative, Special Counsel John Durham said in court documents filed earlier this week, Just the News reports.

In the days after Clinton associates Christopher Steele and Michael Sussmann approached the FBI in Sept. 2016 with dirt that would spur the Russiagate probe, the campaign's opposition research firm sent some of the same information to New York Times journalists.

"Gents good to see you yesterday," a Fusion GPS executive wrote to New York Times reporters. "Sounded like you might be interested in some of the attached russia-related material. These are internal, open source research drafts, as agreed, please treat this as background / not for attribution. As you'll see it's all easily replicated anyway."

"Can also send you a name / Toronto memo once I dig it out," the executive added. "I'm skipping over name and company name. Believe your guys have done that up. Leave it to you to distribute internally, or not, as you see fit. Don't believe sunny isles / hollywood or panama or toronto have been touched by brands xy or z. Amazingly, don't think anyone has done up the trump tower poker ring story either. Pretty vivid color there."

The message is one of hundreds between Clinton campaign operatives and journalists obtained by Durham that are now public.

Durham recently revealed several communications with reporters in a filing designed to reject the Clinton campaign's assertion that its Steele dossier and other research was shielded from public view at an upcoming trial because it was protected by attorney-client privilege.

But Durham argues that attorney-client privilege does not apply to materials widely distributed to third parties.

In Durham's filings, he refers to the Clinton opposition research alternately as a "red herring," "unverified," "too obvious" to be true, or containing a "very weak link. " In some cases, these same adjectives were used by the very researchers helping assemble the materials.

Rep. Jim Jordan, are-Ohio, said Friday that Durham is showing just how closely the media, the Democratic establishment, and some rogue elements in USA Intelligence worked in conjunction to perpetuate the false Russiagate story in 2016 — a pattern he says the media repeated when the same forces falsely portrayed the Hunter Biden laptop as disinformation in 2020.

"What we all suspected all along is that the Clinton campaign was really pushing this," Jordan said. "And we didn't know that they just made it up out of whole cloth. But that looks like exactly what they did."

The recent Durham filing lays out several contacts between Fusion GPS, the Clinton team, and the news media, including The New York Times, ABC News, and Slate magazine.

Related Stories:

Probe: Hillary Lawyer Used Purported Russian Cellphone Data to Implicate Trump.

Rolling Stone's Taibbi: Russiagate May Have Destroyed Media's Credibility.

© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

GOP will soon stand for "Going Out Party"

Quote Originally Posted by PVMonger  [View Original Post]
    Carlson uses white victimhood to play down the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the USA Capitol. He puts quotes around "insurrection," baselessly casting the riot as a "false-flag" operation instigated by federal officials to persecute conservatives. He asserts that they are punishing the mostly white crowd at the Capitol more harshly than the Black Lives Matter protesters who marched in the summer of 2020. Those rallies were largely peaceful.
    Must see TV is coming to primetime in June 2022.

A great primetime miniseries (industry collaborators can't stop dreaming, & talking about).

The United States House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack Show.

Starring Liz Cheney and her pair of Adams (Adam Kinzinger & Adam Schiff) and every disloyal Trump insider the committee has already privately met with.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all (insiders here say the production costs in preproduction are enormous).

Amazon has only seven different options for gourmet popcorn. They will need to step up their game for next month.

I love Tucker so much!

Quote Originally Posted by PVMonger  [View Original Post]
    Night after night, the host of the most watched show in prime-time cable news uses a simple narrative to instill fear in his viewers: "They" want to control and then destroy "you."

A New York Times analysis of 1,150 episodes reveals how Tucker Carlson pushes extremist ideas and conspiracy theories into millions of households, five nights a week. He's done so since the beginning, but the show has gotten darker. Carlson, 52, has one of the largest megaphones in all of cable television. When President Donald Trump left office, Carlson filled the void on the right. Here's how the show works.

When you enter Carlson's world each night, you are among his 3 million-plus viewers and part of a Fox News audience that is 92% white and overwhelmingly older, according to Nielsen data. They are the "ruling class. " They threaten everything you believe in.

And I have never seen his show but I know him from the Mclaughlin group I haven't watched a TV in probably 15 yrs.

But he is a wonderful gift from Allah.

Trump / Carlson 2024.

Aka god and the Son of god.

Here's what Tucker and the Wingers believe

When you enter Carlson's world each night, you are among his 3 million-plus viewers — and part of a Fox News audience that is 92% white and overwhelmingly older, according to Nielsen data. They are the "ruling class. " They threaten everything you believe in.

They include Democratic and Republican officials, members of the media, Big Tech executives, academics, sports and Hollywood stars, and others.

Carlson tells you over and over: They don't care about you and will do whatever they can to maintain power.

He frames nearly every topic on his show as a "ruling class" plot, from gun control to marijuana legalization to COVID-19 restrictions.

Even the Western response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, according to Carlson, is part of the plot. Why should you hate President Vladimir Putin when they cause everything Carlson says is wrong with society? The real enemies, Carlson implies with rhetorical questions, are his usual targets — China and the USA "ruling class. " Putin, whose military has bombed Ukrainian civilians and committed atrocities, is not a foe.

It is worth noting that a USA District judge, in a 2020 ruling dismissing slander accusations against Carlson, said Fox News' lawyers argued persuasively that "any reasonable viewer 'arrive (s) with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes. " Carlson begins some segments with a grain of truth or an accurately quoted study, but then often distorts a concept to fit his narrative.

Carlson continually hammers at the idea that they care more about everything else — identity politics, Afghan refugees, preventing a border wall, Roger Stone's prison sentence — than you. Repetition and "they-you" framing are tools commonly used by populist or authoritarian leaders to create emotional connections with their followers.

Of 1,150 "Tucker Carlson Tonight" episodes that the Times analyzed, from November 2016 through 2021, Carlson invoked the "ruling class" in more than 800 shows.

The "ruling class," he says, wants you to just "shut up and obey."

Not only do they want to control you, Carlson warns, they want to destroy you and your way of life. They have various ways of doing this, he asserts, including importing immigrants from the "Third World" to replace you with more "obedient voters."

This premise is the crux of an unfounded racist conspiracy theory that falling birthrates and immigration are leading to the replacement of white people.

The theory echoes long-held beliefs of American white nationalists that a Jewish elite is orchestrating this replacement. ("Jews will not replace us," was the chant of white nationalists marching in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017.) Versions of "replacement theory" have been cited by perpetrators of mass shootings, like those who targeted a Pittsburgh synagogue and Hispanic shoppers in El Paso, Texas.

After Carlson promoted replacement theory on a show in April 2021, the Anti-Defamation League called for his firing.

The Times found that it was far from the first time Carlson had done so. He has amplified the idea of demographic replacement in more than 400 episodes.

Some of these segments begin with traditional conservative talking points about liberals being too weak on border security. But then Carlson continues on to say "by the way, this is a conspiracy by Democratic and some Republican elites to replace you," said Nicole Hemmer, a historian at Columbia University specializing in media, conservatism and the far right.

Carlson also posits that feminism and gender nonconformity threaten masculinity and contribute to falling birthrates. "You see that creation of the white male victim in Tucker Carlson's show," Hemmer said. "It's absolutely core to extremist circles."

Carlson highlighted shifting gender roles and falling birthrates in more than 200 episodes.

He also asserts that the ruling class' "obsession with race" and "equality" creates a world that favors the rights of people of color and discriminates against you, the viewer.

He spoke of discrimination against white people and minimized racism against people of color in at least 606 episodes.

White nationalists celebrate Carlson's message and success. "Does he actually believe in white nationalism?" asked are. Derek Black, a former white nationalist who has disavowed the movement. It doesn't really matter, he said, because Carlson is using the same rhetoric. Having the most popular cable news host "directly pulling" from their talking points "makes them feel like, 'Wow, we must be right, Black said.

David Duke, a former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan (and Black's godfather), said on Twitter in 2020 that Trump should choose Carlson as his running mate. Nick Fuentes, another white nationalist, cheered Carlson's promotion of replacement theory.

Andrew Anglin, founder of the white nationalist website The Daily Stormer, has called Carlson "literally our greatest ally. " Carlson's "replacement" message — and Carlson himself — has been used to promote a White Lives Matter rally.

Carlson also uses rhetoric similar to that of men's rights activists, nativists and others on the fringes of the right. "he is a linchpin, a central node, of these different discourses, a place where they can all converge," said Jennifer Mercieca, a historian of American political rhetoric and a professor at Texas A&M University. "And he repackages them in a way that makes his audience more likely to accept them."

Since Trump left office, Carlson has become the ideological enforcer of conservative populism. He has used his megaphone to weaponize cultural issues, like critical race theory and transgender rights, that drive the conversation in school boards and state capitals. And he sometimes uses his perch to punish Republicans who contradict his narrative. After Sen. Ted Cruz, are-Texas, called the Jan. 6 riot at the USA Capitol a "violent terrorist attack," he appeared on Carlson's show to apologize.

Carlson has said he thinks about the show in installments — giving his audience one chapter tonight, one tomorrow. Many of his chapters end up in the same place: with warnings that the country — and sometimes civilization itself — is falling apart because of policies enacted by the "ruling class. " he has warned of such dire outcomes in nearly 600 episodes.

Over time, the show has evolved to become more potent and direct, an echo chamber of Carlson's narrative. Where Carlson once regularly interviewed guests who disagreed with him, he has increasingly devoted less airtime to opposing views and more to talking directly to you — through his ever-growing monologues.

Earlier episodes almost always included at least one or two guests who disagreed with Carlson on issues like immigration and global warming.

Now, nearly all guests amplify Carlson's narrative.

Fox News did not change the guest format simply because liberals refused to come on the show, as Carlson has complained. Scrutinizing ratings data, the network learned that its audience didn't actually want to hear from the other side. "From my discussions with Fox News bookers, my takeaway is that they've made the judgment that they just don't do debate segments anymore," said Richard Goodstein, a Democratic lobbyist and campaign adviser who appeared more than 90 times on Carlson's show until the summer of 2020.

Carlson now spends more and more of the show on his opening monologues, talking directly to his viewers through the camera.

By 2020, monologues typically ran longer than 10 minutes, compared with earlier years when they were shorter or nonexistent. It's not unusual now for Carlson to talk into the camera at the start of the show for upward of 15 to 20 minutes.

He used two of his longest monologues to rail against Black Lives Matter protests in June 2020.

Over the years, the show has dedicated more segments to the most divisive issues. Carlson devoted five times as many hours to such topics in 2021 as he did in 2017, the first full year of the show, according to the Times' analysis.

In a statement, Justin Wells, the show's senior executive producer, stood up for Carlson's choice of topics and language: "Tucker Carlson programming embraces diversity of thought and presents various points of view in an industry where contrarian thought and the search for truth are often ignored. Stories in 'Tucker Carlson Tonight' broadcasts and 'Tucker Carlson Originals' documentaries undergo a rigorous editorial process. We're also proud of our ongoing original reporting at a time when most in the media amplify only one point of view. ".

If it's a weeknight, Carlson will be on. Over the course of an hour, he will look you in the eye and tell you that they want to control and then destroy you.

The wingers, of course, will say that the above is "fake news" because it comes from the New York Times.

Very true

Quote Originally Posted by Xpartan  [View Original Post]
    No, dummy! It's Chamberlain all over again. You are risking nuclear war by trying to appease a nuclear blackmailer. Give in and he's not going to stop at Ukraine. When are you morons going to learn?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...189-story.html

Oh yes, we do have a higher ground after all these wars compared to the unspeakable monstrosities he's committed in Ukraine, the country that has done absolutely nothing to deserve this shit. Fuck, compared to this, our higher ground would be so high indeed we wouldn't see anything but clouds below.

I'm reading your musings here and honestly can't understand whether you're an evil prick or just illiterate ignoramus who has never read a single history book in his life.

Not impossible, but unlikely. The next guy will likely be Patrushev, the FSB tsar, and while he is 100% evil, he's not a psycho. I like our chances.
    You need to remember that Elvis is a rightwingnut. That fact already makes him a moron. Is he an evil prick? Yep. Is he an ignoramus? Yep. Has he ever read a history book? Only if the book was written in one-syllable words for a 3rd-grader.

All he and the rest of the rightwingnuts do is parrot whatever they hear from Tucker "My lawyer said not to believe anything I say" Carlson or the Orange Buffoon or the rest of winger media.

Buffet's bet

So you buy a fund and hold it? Wait, didn't you say you buy low and sell huh?

And what stocks do you own? Oh right, all of them.

This is such a crock of shit you should be on CNBC or run for office as a Dem.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/what...-it-2021-05-12

The performance of the Nasdaq Composite is often compared with the S&P 500 and Dow Jones. After the Dot Com Bubble, from 2003-2020, Nasdaq outperformed the S&P 500 in 12 out of 18 years, and the Dow Jones 14 times. In the wake of the Great Recession, 2009-2020, Nasdaq outperformed the S&P 500 and Dow Jones ten times.

So you did not buy that NASDAQ thing and have enough to retire in Thailand? LOL. Bullshit. You are on a government pension or sold your house and took advantage of California's bubbilicuous housing market..
    Seriously. Did you even read what you quoted from my post before you replied to it?

Um, no I did "not" just buy and hold a fund. It's right there in your quote of mine.

No, my "Nasdaq thing" was not whether or not I recommend anyone buy a fund tracking the Nasdaq. I have no idea where on earth you came up with that.

The discussion was about whether or not the Nasdaq is a meangful measure for what the broad USA stock market is doing on a given hour, day, week, month, quarter or year. And it is not, as your link makes the case that, historically, the Nasdaq performance differs significantly from what was happening in the S&P 500, the DOW and I would certainly add the Wilshire 5000. By the end of the year, all three of those superior measures for the broad USA stock market are often fairly close to each other. But the Nasdaq can often be on another planet relative to those others, up or down.

By the way, below is the report and results of that bet Buffett made. It was a wipe out in favor of Buffett's prediction. And that was a total no-brainer "buy and hold" Index fund strategy vs the professionally actively managed funds and portfolios, which, again, as you can see in your quote of my post, I did not do. Doing what I clearly stated I did (and what you quoted) produced even better results than the contest strategy Buffett employed that beat the snot out of the professionally actively managed portfolios:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...won/402823002/

Here go your evil GOPers trying to cheat again

Perfect example of the twisted winger Repub mindset:

When Dems produce record high or long economic growth, millions more jobs than multiple Repubs before and after them and record high stock market gains, they are "turds, doing everything wrong, the economy is tanking"!

And when their beloved Repubs produce Great Depressions / Recessions, massive jobs destruction in the millions upon millions and Mega Bear Market Crashes, they are "my lord and savior, better than the Dems, the Best economy ever"!

LOL. Hopeless to try to teach them otherwise. Quite deserving of that Sado-Masochist identity. I really don't give a shit about their Masochist tendencies. It's their Sadism they inflict on everyone else with their votes that is annoying.
    The GOPers are trying to destroy democracy again.

Oops I misspelled Democrats.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...-a-fiasco.html

Difficult choice, but

I'm reading your musings here and honestly can't understand whether you're an evil prick or just illiterate ignoramus who has never read a single history book in his life.
    Go with "illiterate ignoramus. ".

He actually just quoted me saying:
    However, in order to do even better, to beat the market, it will depend on if and when you buy and if and when you sell, right? That is what I did as well. I did not just "buy and hold. " I managed to accurately prognosticate a couple of market tops and market bottoms over the decades and shifted my money into a money market safe haven at or near the top, wait out the decline and bought back at or near the bottom.
    And replied with this:

So you buy a fund and hold it? Wait, didn't you say you buy low and sell huh?
    Uh, then he followed that with more incoherent winger Repub blather that further proved that even if he reads something, such as what he actually quoted from me, there is zero chance he'd understand what he read.

Very well stated

No, dummy! It's Chamberlain all over again. You are risking nuclear war by trying to appease a nuclear blackmailer. Give in and he's not going to stop at Ukraine. When are you morons going to learn?

Oh yes, we do have a higher ground after all these wars compared to the unspeakable monstrosities he's committed in Ukraine, the country that has done absolutely nothing to deserve this shit. Fuck, compared to this, our higher ground would be so high indeed we wouldn't see anything but clouds below.

Not impossible, but unlikely. The next guy will likely be Patrushev, the FSB tsar, and while he is 100% evil, he's not a psycho. I like our chances.
    Tucker and his sheeple have been sucking up to Vlad for so long it's just too late to turn back and save face, regardless of the widespread war crimes, fundamental genocide, and what's ultimately at stake. Plus the world is a community. Isolationism though it sounds good doesn't function in practice. That's because evil exists, and if it's ignored or appeased it will grow and eventually deliver itself on your doorstep.

P.S. It's interesting how far away many of these modern so called conservatives have wandered from Reagan. They'd do well to study his philosophy on foreign policy, are a number of solid publications out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSade1  [View Original Post]
    Never let poor trash near the levers of power, they will sell out their voters faster than you can blink (akin to allowing a heroin addict guard your heroin stash) case in point Biden and the southern border.

Don't think he doesn't fully expect payment for that, how much per million of 3rd world rapists and murderers.

2 million crossed in 2020.
    2 million crossed in 2020.

Seems like that would be caused by TrumpShit.

Now that MariMark is typing text (instead of just links from tin hat generals).

There's lots of rewrites needed.

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile—hoping it will eat him last" said Churchill

You are risking nuclear war, destroying the world economy, and for what?

It is now, and has been, accepted since Adolf Hitler invaded Poland in 1939 that appeasement of sworn enemies and bullies doesn't work. They interpret it as a sure sign of weakness and vulnerability. It makes them swaggeringly surer of their strength and others' weakness and vulnerability.

He is an asshole fighting a stupid war just the USSR in Afghanistan and like us in Afghanistan, Vietnam, and Iraq. Do you really believe the USA had the high ground after those wars?

You get rid of Putin, and the next guy may be worse.

Posting Limitations