Masion Close
"Germany

Thread: Reynosa

+ Add Report
Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    I can't go anywhere these days. I have a trip to Pattaya, Thailand scheduled for next Wednesday. Grenades in Reynosa and Bangkok I guess I should get the hint. If anyone else is going to be in Pattaya look for me in Happy agogo, New Living Dolls 1, Airport, What's Up, Babydolls and Naughty Girls. Week of May 14th thru the 25th. I'll be the one with a San Mig or Jack/coke.

Two attacks in Reynosa's 'Boys Town'

April 29, 2010 7:41 AM
    Jared Taylor and Ana Ley
    The Monitor
    REYNOSA — Two grenade attacks were reported Wednesday night in the city's red light district, known on both sides of the border as "Boys Town."

Tamaulipas state police said one of the grenades exploded near a municipal police installation in the area also known as la zona de tolerencia, or, "the tolerance zone," a district in the city open to prostitution and narcotics use. The red-light district is near the Rio Grande, west of the Hidalgo-Reynosa International Bridge.

No injuries were reported, police said, but there was property damage from the grenade blast.

A second grenade failed to detonate at a nearby plaza in the Aquiles Serdán neighborhood, police said.

City officials reported another "situation of risk" after blockades were reported over bridges at the Anzalduas Canal. The blockades were cleared early Thursday morning and it remains unclear whether there were any injuries.

Wednesday night's grenade attack came less than 12 hours after officials cleared similar explosives from a city bridge.

City officials reported a grenade was found along the Broncos bridge about 9 p.m. Tuesday. The bridge runs south of the stadium for the city's baseball team of the same name.

Mexico violence

Relatives worry about loved ones' fates amid Mexico violence

The Monitor
    McALLEN — Mexico’s drug war has hit home for some people north of the Rio Grande.

Relatives of missing residents in northern Tamaulipas rely on little more than scant news reports for information about their loved ones. Police and military officials in border communities south of the Rio Grande remain virtually unreachable over the phone, while Americans say authorities there seem to dismiss pleas for help in locating missing people.

A surge in drug violence has left dozens of Mexicans dead along the Texas border in recent weeks. Brazen attacks by masked gunmen have become a part of life for many. Raw images of violence posted via social media show bodies splayed across bloody streets. Confusion reigns in northern Tamaulipas, where information about killings is hushed amid a media blackout and authorities remain notoriously tight-lipped about incidents of violence.

“The Zetas are here, heavily armed,” said one man from the Camargo area who asked not to be identified. “We hope this will pass soon. It is unbearable.”

The violence has been attributed to a three-way war among the area’s two dominant drug trafficking organizations and the federal government. The Zetas — a paramilitary organization founded by former members of Mexico’s special forces — have historically served as the enforcement arm of the Gulf Cartel. But in recent years, their operations have grown more independent to the point that they are now fighting with their old bosses for control of Tamaulipas’ valuable smuggling routes.

Some people in the United States claim to have received phone calls bearing chilling news of relatives being taken by the Zetas.

More than 22,700 people have been killed in Mexico’s drug war since December 2006, when President Felipe Calderón launched a crackdown on his country’s entrenched narcotics syndicates, according to government estimates.

In a community where information is limited, American outsiders whose families have been ripped apart by cartel violence have little choice but to venture into a battle zone with seemingly elusive government control.

‘WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?’

Masked gunmen stared past tinted windows in packs as their convoy of black SUVs roared through Reynosa. Packing machine guns, they lobbed a grenade toward the city’s central police station in the Rodriguez neighborhood, but missed.

“It landed inside my mother’s house,” said one man who asked not to be identified. “Then they told everyone to get out and they set the place on fire.”

Authorities said Thursday’s attack caused no injuries, but they did not elaborate on their investigation into the incident.

The man said he received a call from his niece, who witnessed the incident. She told her uncle that the assailants snatched her father away but gave no reason why.

“I just want to know what’s going on,” the man said. “Was it drug people, or police itself?”

Three separate attacks occurred that evening at police facilities in Reynosa. Federal authorities have not said whether they believe the incidents to be a coordinated strike.

“They burned everything,” the man said. “Why are they doing this?”

‘CRAZY VIOLENCE’

Maria Segura also got an unsettling phone call from Mexico recently.

A man called her from her husband’s cell phone two weeks ago. He had a message for her.

“He told me my husband passed away,” said Segura, 37, of Arkansas. “He told me he had (my husband’s) phone, his identification card and his soul. Then he told me there were a lot of bodies where he was.”

The stranger on the phone claimed to be a Zeta commander. Segura told him she didn’t believe him.

“He said he didn’t care if I believed him,” she said. “A million scenarios went through my mind.”

The woman’s husband, Eduardo Segura Bolaños, 26, had planned to sneak across the Rio Grande through Camargo two weeks ago with his younger brother. His wife doesn’t know if the pair made it across, or if they have fallen victim to recent gunfights in the city.

Jose Carrillo Hernandez is similarly worried about his own relative. He and his family have called local news outlets, Mexican consular officials and Tamaulipas police officials for weeks, clinging to a glimmer of hope that his brother is still alive.

Carrillo said his brother’s companion told him his brother was also taken away by men who claimed to be cartel members. Eduardo Carrillo Hernandez, 37, was also attempting to cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally. He has been missing since April 10.

As recently as Saturday, gunmen opened fire on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande City-Camargo International Bridge. Separate attacks that same day left at least seven men dead south of Starr County.

Maria Segura said police officials at Camargo’s police station told the woman to visit the city if she wished to file a formal missing person report for her husband.

“Everyone tells me not to go there right now with everything that’s going on,” she said. “There’s crazy violence.”

‘A WAR ZONE’

Leonel Lopez considers himself a lucky man.

About two weeks ago, his son suspiciously stopped answering phone calls from his home in Camargo. Lopez, 65, of Rio Grande City, waited several days before contacting media outlets in the Rio Grande Valley for help.

But he quickly grew impatient. He rounded up a few friends, and the search party headed south.

“Me and my comrades went in and came out quickly,” he said. “We were all scared, but we needed to take control of it. We need fear for protection, but we can’t let it get to us.”

Lopez didn’t find his son during his trip to the city, but he later heard from him. His son had left Mexico recently with his wife and daughter. They are all safe and out of harm’s way, Lopez said.

He described Camargo as a “war zone” and said several buildings in his son’s neighborhood had apparently been burned down.

“Many people left,” he said. “There was a lot of destruction.”

After hearing all the news all thsi time I decided to chance it and I went to Reynosa on Friday the 9th and had no problems. I even drove over even though I have a flashy car. Now, I did go early, left my house around 9:30 pm and was there a bit after 10 and stayed for just about an hour checking out the scene. It was a bit busier than I expected it to be but I didn't go inside any bars because I was just the traffic outside. No soldiers or anything. Last December coming out of one of those rooms I was surprised to see a bunch of soldiers all over the place.

My advise is no way directed towards the experienced Reynosa travelers. You guys know exactly what you are up against and the risks involved. Would be travelers, and guys that persistantly ask how things are, is where I directed my comments, I apologize for any misconceptions, sometimes I post when I should not. (a tad drunk...lol)

Reynosa??

Quote Originally Posted by Mcklipsch
    I totally agree with you Mitaban that travel in Mexico has risk. The State of ...
    Yes, you were fine, had a good time and there were not many Gringos in attendence. BT is relatively safe if you don't act like an idiot and have some street smarts. Such as not buying drugs on location.

My question, how was the traffic? The last time, you went late. How about the other times? From what I hear, the city is a ghost town at night and I live in McAllen. Any extra questions at the bridge coming back?

I would be concerned that the Cops are extra hungry now and you have a higher chance of being pulled over and hasseled. Aka, mordida time!

I totally agree with you Mitaban that travel in Mexico has risk. The State of Tamaulipas is currently a battle ground with the Gulf Cartel & their New Allies-the Sinaloa Cartel & La Familia de Michocana joining forces to eliminate/exterminate Los Zetas. And throw in the Mexican Military into the mix for a Battle Royal.

How was Tropicana? I went into Tropicana briefly on my March 20 trip. Did not see any Flaquita Bonita chicas, I like slender chicas. Drank one Modelo and had a gorda chica follow me outside to the the urinal. A gordo Mexicano dude that was outside, held up a small bag of Coke and attempted to sell me some. I told him drogas no bueno por caca para mi and hauled ass from Tropicana. I hate Coke and don't want to associate with anyone especially in Mexico that possesses drugs.

Quiet Sat. night

I also went to boystown Saturday night/Sun am. Walked across the bridge at around 2:30 am. Stayed the whole time at Tropicana. No problems at all. It was kinda dead with all the rain. Heard rumor that the original Lipstick location was being remodeled and should be opening. Not sure what the name is going to be, maybe Striptease? Started at Jaguars in Harlingen and decided boystown would be a better idea. I wanted to go to Envidia but didn't want to take any chances on being caught up in a shootout. I think travel anywhere in Mexico is not without risk. Especially now.

Reynosa BT 4/17/2010-Zero/Nada Problems

I know and respect Bbond and what he has to say about Reynosa. Bbond is very knowledgeable about Mexico. Well y'all can call me a Fool, but I went to Reynosa BT for the Fourth Time in 2010 last night-Saturday April 17 and experienced Zero Problems-Nada. Had a very good time.

I have experienced Zero Problems-Nada on all Four of my trips to Reynosa BT in 2010. Perhaps I have several Guardian Angels watching over me. YMMV-Your Mileage May Vary if you decide to make a trip to Reynosa BT.

I have gone to Reynosa BT on Saturday Janurary 30, Saturday February 20, Saturday March 20 and last night Saturday April 17.

Reynosa BT was a muddy mess from the rain with lots of puddles of standing water in the ruts in the road. It was slow in Reynosa BT with not a lot of customers. I did see two otra Gringos in Lipstick. Gringos are a Rare Species in Reynosa BT. My first two trips I did not see another Gringo. My March trip, I saw one other Gringo besides myself.

Ghost town

I second BBond. Going to Reynosa is very dangerous. My Mexican friiends tell me that it is a ghost town at night. If you really want to increase the risk if you want to live dangerous, drive the "right" vechicle. Just PM me for the list.

I have talked to my "regular" girl and she tells me it is very slow.

Dammit, I have posted before. I have a good friend that lives in Reynosa. He advises to stay away, and this guy is a monger to the max. So dammit, if that ain't enough, then go on, take your chances, no pussy is worth what could await you on your next visit. Sure you will read that if you watch your P's and Q's no-one will mess with you. That's fine, but you will not catch me, or anyone that really knows what the fook is happening there, anywhere close. Reynosa is absolutely insane as this shit continues. YMCAWV, CYA, don't say no-one told you. Have a safe trip, fool.

Relative calm prevails in Reynosa area after recent surge in violence

The Monitor
    Tamaulipas state police are investigating the death of a male whose body was found in a workshop here Thursday evening.

The corpse was discovered in the Ampliación Gonzaleño subdivision, according to a statement posted on the Tamaulipas government’s emergency notification Web site. The victim was apparently shot to death.

Officials also reported that a group of armed civilians fought with authorities for about an hour Friday evening in Camargo. [Camargo is across the river from Rio Grande City, about 40 miles west from McAllen] No injuries were reported during the incident, which appeared to last from about 6:25 to 7:30 p.m.

Another clash resulting in at least one civilian fatality was reported Friday morning in Miguel Alemán [Acroos the river form Roma, Texas, 50 miles west from McAllen] .

According to officials, the area across the border from Hidalgo and Starr counties has been relatively peaceful this week compared to other recent weeks. Few incidents of violence were reported on the state’s Web site and on the Twitter feed that Reynosa city officials use to alert the city’s residents to “situations of risk.”

The relative calm came as federal prosecutors in Mexico arrested more than 40 prison guards in Matamoros and Reynosa suspected of helping inmates during two recent prison breaks.

In Reynosa, federal prosecutors said seven prison guards face criminal charges after a dozen prisoners escaped during a shootout last week. Meanwhile, 42 prison guards are being held at the state prison in Matamoros after 40 inmates escaped there last month.

Seven prison guards allegedly helped organize the Reynosa escape. Armed men arrived at the state prison south of the city just before 7 p.m. April 2, the Mexico attorney general's office said in a statement Tuesday.

During the incident, the attackers exchanged gunfire with prison guards. Three inmates died during the battle, but authorities have not said who killed them.

Authorities identified the slain men as Martin Valenzuela Pintor, Juan Antonio Hernandez Resendez and Jose de Jesus Rodriguez Hernandez.

On Wednesday, Tamaulipas Gov. Eugenio Hernández Flores issued an appeal for the federal government’s help to maintain security at the state prisons.

Hernández said he addressed the country’s secretary of the interior and the public security secretary and that he was awaiting a response.

“We will not protect any criminal. On the contrary, we want them to be punished as the law permits,” the governor said. “But I take into consideration that many of the people that run these institutions are threatened.”

Wednesday’s announcement came as the Mexican navy arrested several local and state police officers in Valle Hermoso, a town about 29 miles south of Matamoros. A convoy of sailors arrived in the city that afternoon and arrested an unknown number of municipal police officers before heading to the headquarters of the Tamaulipas ministerial police and arresting several officers there as well.

The arrested police officers were taken before Mexico’s Public Ministry, where they face federal charges.

On Monday afternoon, eyewitnesses reported a firefight in the Avenida del Niño neighborhood in Matamoros.

That same evening in San Fernando, about 90 miles south of Brownsville, a group of gunmen engaged authorities, killing two rural police officers and kidnapping one officer and a commander, officials said.

Meanwhile, in Reynosa, no violence-related fatalities have been reported since the April 2 prison break.

Okay to go right now?

Is it okay to go right now with all the recent news?

How about during the day? Or daytime during the week?

Is anyone there at those times?

Is it safer during the day?

Today in The Monitor

Violent situation near Pharr bridge in Reynosa ended

March 31, 2010 2:29 PM
    The Monitor

REYNOSA — City officials reported a "situation of risk" in the Nuevo Amancer neighorhood, near the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge and about a mile south of the Rio Grande.

Officials sent out a bulletin shortly before 2:30 p.m. Wednesday advising people to avoid the area. Shortly after 3 p.m., officials reported the incident ended.

Unconfirmed reports say a shootout took place between armed people and soldiers along Boulevard Colosio in the Nuevo Amancer neighborhood — about two miles west of the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge.

No reports have surfaced about possible casualties.

Today's violence comes a day after at least 15 people were killed in three Tamaulipas cities across the border from Hidalgo County. At least seven people were killed in Reynosa, five dead in Valadeces and three in Rio Bravo, Tamps.

Tuesday's fatalities came after widespread roadblocks were erected on major roads in Reynosa, reportedly by gunmen who forced drivers to block roadways with their vehicles.

City officials said there have been no other confirmed reports of violence in Reynosa as of 2:45 p.m. today.

From The Monitor, in McAllen

At least 15 killed in Tamaulipas street battles amid blockades

hree civilians injured in crossfire
    March 30, 2010 10:57 AM

The Monitor

REYNOSA — At least 15 people died during armed clashes with the Mexican military Tuesday in northern Tamaulipas, state officials reported.

The fatalities came as several blockades sprang up across Reynosa streets, clogging traffic and leading city officials to advise people to avoid the streets for several hours Tuesday morning.

Officials did not say whether they suspect the blockades Tuesday were drug cartel-related. Similar obstructions were reported earlier this month in Monterrey, where suspected drug cartel members have occasionally blocked primary highways that lead to the city in an effort to stop security patrols.

Slain Tuesday were seven armed civilians involved in a clash with Mexican military soldiers near the Pemex installation along the highway to Monterrey, state authorities said. Three other people involved in a gun battle between civilians and the Mexican military in Rio Bravo, according to Tamaulipas state authorities.

In Ciudad Díaz Ordaz, three civililans were injured, reportedly caught in the crossfire of a street shootout, officials said. Another five people were reportedly slain in Valadeces in armed civilian confrontations. Díaz Ordaz is a small community across the Rio Grande from Sullivan City.

Another person was killed during an armed confrontation with troops near the Reynosa airport, state authorities said early Tuesday afternoon; however, they later reported that one civilian had been merely injured in connection with that incident. There was no explanation for the discrepancy between the two reports.

The blockades across Reynosa choked northbound access to the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge, which temporarily closed to northbound non-commercial traffic during the widespread disruption across the city, officials said.

Mexican authorities said there were unconfirmed reports of several other street battles across the city, including near Boulevard Morelos, Rio Purificacion, Mexico Highway 2 near the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge, and Mexico Highway 40, which leads to Monterrey.

Authorities would not confirm other possible casualties among civilians or military personnel.

Photos submitted by a resident in Reynosa showed buses and trucks that were used to block traffic along Boulevard Morelos. Other blockades were reportedly set up along Mexico Highway 40 and Mexico Highway 2, which leads to Matamoros.

Witnesses said gunmen forced drivers to stop and block traffic with their vehicles, Proceso magazine reported on its Web site.

There were other unconfirmed reports of blockades set up Tuesday afternoon in Matamoros.

Reynosa city officials said many routes across the city had been cleared early Tuesday afternoon and that traffic had begun to move normally again.

Pharr Bridge Director Jesse Medina said Mexican officials closed off northbound non-commercial traffic at the bridge about 11 a.m. Tuesday and then allowed all traffic to pass by early afternoon. Blockages still prevented much traffic from entering the bridge.

“No cars are crossing, not because the bridge is closed, I think, but because people are aware that things are going on over there,” Medina said. “We’re hoping that it will clear up, whatever it is.”

A bulletin Reynosa city officials issued about 11 a.m. Tuesday said various points throughout the city, including parts of Boulevard Morelos — a major thoroughfare on the city's east side — were blocked to traffic and that people should avoid driving if possible.

Officials described the blockades as a “situation of risk” and urged people to exercise “extreme caution.”

“I don’t know whether it’s a shootout, a shooting or shots fired or what,” Medina said. “All I know is an incident occurred.”

Medina said Mexican bridge officials told him an incident occurred near the interchange of the bridge access road and Mexican Highway 2 — the east-west thoroughfare that cuts across Reynosa.

McAllen Bridge Director George Ramon said traffic at the Hidalgo and Anzalduas international bridges was not disrupted.

Posting Limitations