La Vie en Rose
Masion Close
 Sex Vacation

Thread: Politics in the Dominican Republic

+ Add Report
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SubCmdr  [View Original Post]
    A difference in opinion indeed! Where do you live now Oakie?
    There's a hint in my post. Plus anyone who has been on the forum awhile knows where I live. So try to figure it out, LOL.

I must admit you got me on the country count, though. All hail to you!

But I didn't get to 28 of them, or the 36 or so you. S States by plane, bus or train.

And, no, I didn't come to DR to buy cheap pussy. I haven't picked up a hooker here in 6 years.

There's more, much more, to my life here!

But enjoy! To each his own.

A difference in opinion indeed!

Before I moved to the Dominican Republic I traveled to 33 different countries. Further more I fucked over 300 girls so I did not need to move to the Dominican Republic and live in a puta pueblo in order to realize that you can get pussy without pesos in hand and a drink in the other similar to the average sexpat. LOL!

And no I do not believe that governments control the lives of anyone. By any measure the government of my country of origin hates me. They kill people who look like me without consequence. And yet without having the key look of privilege I have managed to live in the same country as others who have been blessed with privilege. In spite of the government of my country of origin.

Those who are in the arena know that is about the efforts of the individual not the critic or the government in charge. Those who think otherwise are similar to the (1. Stupid person. 2. a male ass or donkey). That gets put on the bus, train, plane and taken around the world. What gets off, (1. Stupid person. 2. a male ass or donkey). I see opinions expressed of individuals similar to our traveler expressed up in here quite frequently. It's all good!

As a man in the arena I will never allow the critics to matter. Or the governments run by them. Or the people who think that government matters in the excessive to ever change my outlook on the world.

A difference in opinion indeed! Where do you live now Oakie?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakie  [View Original Post]
    Only guys running thru life with pesos and drinks in hand don't understand that governments have a profound affect on the average citizen's life style.

I've travelled to at least 30 countries in my long life, lived and worked in 6, and it's only folks who live in puta pueblos that will never understand that quality of life for the average citizen depends on the government in currently in power.

Check out and. Korea vs S. Korea, East Germany vs West Germany, Cuba vs the rest of the Caribbean, and even here on this island, Haiti vs Dominican Republic, to name some obvious examples.

I've managed to stay one step ahead of the control freaks, and thought police, as they took over my Europe, my Canada, and my good old USA By now living happily in DR. By the time they come for me here, I'll be long dead, LOL.

A difference of opinion.

Those who have spent more time actually living here and who have more experience living in places that would not be considered puta pueblos understand that there are times that have been more secure and less.

And it has nothing to do with the governments that are in place at any point and time. You see governments come and go. That is the history of mankind. But day to day life for individuals continues despite is all.

Only those running though life with pesos in one hand and a drink in the other do not understand that. Take care of your health. And conserve your cash. Better times are ahead of us here in the Dominican Republic!
    Only guys running thru life with pesos and drinks in hand don't understand that governments have a profound affect on the average citizen's life style.

I've travelled to at least 30 countries in my long life, lived and worked in 6, and it's only folks who live in puta pueblos that will never understand that quality of life for the average citizen depends on the government in currently in power.

Check out and. Korea vs S. Korea, East Germany vs West Germany, Cuba vs the rest of the Caribbean, and even here on this island, Haiti vs Dominican Republic, to name some obvious examples.

I've managed to stay one step ahead of the control freaks, and thought police, as they took over my Europe, my Canada, and my good old USA By now living happily in DR. By the time they come for me here, I'll be long dead, LOL.

Those who have spent more time actually living here and who have more experience living in places that would not be considered puta pueblos understand that there are times that have been more secure and less.

And it has nothing to do with the governments that are in place at any point and time. You see governments come and go. That is the history of mankind. But day to day life for individuals continues despite is all.

Only those running though life with pesos in one hand and a drink in the other do not understand that. Take care of your health. And conserve your cash. Better times are ahead of us here in the Dominican Republic!

Actually in my opinion it is a bad time to take on debt. Conserving cash is the right move in uncertain times. I pay cash for all consumer purchases. And if your purchase is in the DR. This is the right time. The currency of my home country is slipping against the dollar.
    I was talking only about home mortgages, long term debt. Short term consumer debt, finance, credit cards etc, is always a budget killer.

For a home owner, occasionally there is an opportunity to consolidate such high interest debt by the judicial use of historic low mortgage rates.

With continuing higher house prices in the industrial world over the long term, a fixed low interest mortgage can actually be a profitable option.

As for "uncertain times", I don't ever recall "certain times", especially with new governments taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakie  [View Original Post]
    The good news. It's A good time to get or refi a mortgage.
    Actually in my opinion it is a bad time to take on debt. Conserving cash is the right move in uncertain times. I pay cash for all consumer purchases. And if your purchase is in the DR. This is the right time. The currency of my home country is slipping against the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempoecorto  [View Original Post]
    An update on goat price: The other day I bought goat in Santiago. 300 pesos per pound. Do not know what happened here. That is a 30% hike since Christmas.
    Goat aside, we see it in the supermarket imports every week. It's tough on the locals, and the strong USA Dollar doesn't help.

On the global scale, you ain't seen nothing yet. USA Interest rates have been artificially low for a while now, and with the shut down of the economy due to COVID and the spending priorities of the new USA Govt. They will have to print money to pay for their ever increasing expenditures. Inflation is about to take off.

The good news. It's A good time to get or refi a mortgage.

I do so enjoy the weekend warrior experts posting up in here about actual life in the Dominican Republic. They may know a lot about how to get pussy here but not so much about actual living. I understand why.
    An update on goat price: The other day I bought goat in Santiago. 300 pesos per pound. Do not know what happened here. That is a 30% hike since Christmas.

The US would remove the ban on meat exports from the Dominican Republic

I do so enjoy the weekend warrior experts posting up in here about actual life in the Dominican Republic. They may know a lot about how to get pussy here but not so much about actual living. I understand why. They simply do not have the same interests as I do. There is absolute no way a visitor can speak to life here the way someone with "boots on the ground" does.

Here is an example:

Quote Originally Posted by MrEnternational  [View Original Post]
    The price may be cheaper but you will end up chewing all the teeth out of your mouth fucking around with some DR beef. US shit may have hormones but it is definitely better quality. That is why you can walk into a restaurant and the US stuff is touted, not the DR stuff. If the beef is not USDA, Argentine, or Japanese (Australian if I have no choice) then I will have the chicken please.
    Santo Domingo The Dominican Republic has completed most of the process to lift the ban on beef exports to the United States, and all that remains to be done is for inspectors from the USA Department of Agriculture to visit the five meat processing plants authorized to export, informed the Ministry of Agriculture.

The agency said that the country is called phase four of equivalence, which is how the process to be fulfilled for lifting the ban is known.

To achieve this last goal, an inter-institutional commission was formed to articulate strategies to set up audits of the inspection systems in the five meat processing plants authorized for export in the country by the Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) of the United States Department of Agriculture.

The purpose, said the Minister of Agriculture, Limber Cruz, is for the Dominican Republic to reestablish beef exports to the United States, paused by a ban of more than 20 years.

He said that the high-level commission formed will guarantee the meat industry's quality, health, and safety control systems in slaughterhouses, processing plants, and cattle ranches.

The Interinstitutional Follow-up Commission for Beef Exports is made up of Alexis Alonso and Ruband Hernndez, livestock advisors to the Executive Branch and Agriculture, who will coordinate it.

It is also completed by Luis Martnez and Jaime Santoni, from Public Health, and producers Ricardo Barcel, Ulises de Veras, Enrique de Castro and Jonatand Rivera.

This commission held a meeting with Sonia Guzmand, Dominican ambassador to the United States, in which also participated the director of Inespre Ivand Hernndez Guzmand, as well as technicians, inspectors, and business people of the sector.

Minister Cruz delivered to the ambassador the documentation that guarantees to the United States authorities the country's conditions to resume beef exports to that market.

The Dominican diplomat showed her willingness to strengthen the productive sectors, especially those who have a vocation for export and generation of foreign exchange and create employment sources.

She informed that she would convene a working team in Washington to promote this initiative through the pertinent official mechanisms.

The Minister urged meat producers to comply with the specifications and commitments in terms of quality, quantity, and frequency once the ban is lifted."

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econom...ican-republic/

So, here we have five meat packing plants ready to export meat from the Dominican Republic to the United States of America. I understand that everyone has their personal preferences. But the individual quoted above refers to beef from the US as "shit" but says it is better quality.

So I ask, (just in general) how will beef from the Dominican Republic be received in the United States of America?

"Expect there will be many ex-patriots, especially in the NYC and Boston areas who will appreciate access to meat from "home". Because of low fat content and grass-fed (organic?) qualities the Dominican meats could find a market space. Just have to be vigilant that meats of good quality are set apart to maintain the commitments of domestic consumption. ".

The way Subcmdr sees it!

First issue

Officials of the Dominican Republic are not trying to fuck with tourists. They have taken a publicity hit with the many tourist deaths pre COVID-19 and a hit during the COVID-19 period. They are making a effort to restart the tourist economy. The tourist economy may be centered on AIs. But they (officials of the Dominican Republic) know that their are many "adventure" tourists who are not tying to be locked down in a minimum security prison (AKA: AI).

So, when stopped by the police, show respect, show that you do not understand the violation they are trying to pin on you. Show that you do not understand that they are asking for money and if you have not been detained on a serious violation you have a good chance of extracting yourself from the police contact if you handle yourself correctly.

I am not in favor of the "fuck the police" advice thrown around here by a certain prolific poster. To each their own. Because I live here and I see that things are changing dramatically. The new POTDR has made it clear it is a new day in Republica Dominicana. My many friends that also live here discuss this almost weekly.

There is at least one major article in the papers or on TV that show a strong move from the administration that "business as usual" is not going to be accepted in Republica Dominicana anymore. So, for those who are wise it would behoove them to update their archaic views of how things operate in Republic Dominicana be become aware of things that could be different and handle yourself accordingly.

Second issue

Their are two reasons why you see a difference of mask usage in the Dominican Republic. 1. Enforcement 2. Socio Economic Status (SES)..

Enforcement

The police cannot be everywhere at all times. The barrio is a closed location. By that I mean it can be pretty obvious to others when you enter one that you do not live there.

I have written about this before.

Was told by my chica visiting who showed up by using a taxi exempt from restrictions that in the barrio they simply play games with the police. Staying close to their homes and partying and when the police show everyone goes into someone's house. They wait until they leave and then go back to partying.
    Now maybe the point of my post got lost in the discussion amongst the many Spanish professors positing here. But that is because they really don't have any real knowledge to impart. Just nit picking at my posts that kick serious knowledge into their eye holes.

Socio Economic Status

Those with nothing to lose except for their lives take more risk. The fact that individuals that are only visiting and running around in barrios looking for pussy do not see any individuals wearing masks does not surprise me. If you go to Av. Churchill you will see everyone wearing a mask. You call that a tourist area?

It is not different any different than you see with motorcycle riders using helmets. I see much less use of helmets in the areas where people are less affluent than I see in the areas that are more affluent.

I always have to put my coffee down before reading the Dominican Republic forum of ISG. Because these visitors making sweeping island proclamations based on a few days to a week of visiting here have me laughing my fucking ass off!

But what the fuck do I know. I just live here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgFooDg2RVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W39RbECzmdE

People may not be taking the use of masks seriously. But the controlling legal authorities in the Dominican Republic are!

Budget for 2021 includes a minimum salary of $ 300 for police officers

"Santo Domingo, RD..

When delivering the State budget for the year 2021 to the National Congress, the Minister of Finance, Jochi Vicente, indicated that the amount assigned to the Ministry of the Interior and Police, of RD $ 43,276,034,668, represents an "unwanted partial" increase in salary of the police, according to the amount that Luis Abinader promised when he was on the campaign.

Similarly, he assured that this institution has an increase greater than that assigned in the 2020 budget.

Likewise, the general director of the Budget, Jos Rijo Presbot, said that with this increase that this institution will have, the minimum salary of a police officer will be around 300 dollars, equivalent to 17,525. 15 Dominican pesos.

"For the Police it will represent 60 percent, of the increase that was discussed to bring it to 500 dollars, that is to say that the lowest salary in the police will have around 300 dollars minimum," said Rijo Presbot when delivering the document.

The budget for the year 2021 contemplates an amount of RD $ 947,511,158,717, to be distributed to State institutions."

Flaunt the laws at your own risk gentleman. Be the next poster child for "Locked up abroad". LOL! I have never paid more than 20 pesos at a traffic stop. I have written before that if a officer treats me with respect I give them respect. 20 pesos will by them something to drink at a colmado and they are often working in the hot sun. My last three police stops resulted in no action. And no payments. Things are changing here in the Dominican Republic. It is still a government of the people but that is beginning to change poco y poco (little by little). Watch the (compound profanity deleted) Spanish professors come out on that one!.

Traffic violations are minor especially when you are a gringo visitor. Even accidents that are simply property damage are only about payment. Now, injure or kill someone in a car accident here you are going to jail until things get sorted out.

But then again, what the fuck do I know? I just live here.

https://listindiario.com/economia/20...-para-policias

Quote Originally Posted by Cbear13  [View Original Post]
    Driving back the other night. Got caught out about 2 hours past curfew. Cop asked me to help him with money so he can get dinner. Gave him 2000 pesos and went on my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEnternational  [View Original Post]
    LOL. When are you guys going to learn? I also got caught out the other night. They asked for my permission slip. I gave them my Thai drivers license. They looked at it for a minute and started saying something to each other about the colonel, then said go ahead and moved the cone or whatever out of my way.

2000 pesos is about what I spent on dinner at one of the finest restaurants in Santo Domingo that same night. Not a bad take for a guy that makes 8,000 pesos in one month.

Yes, my man! I am doing good, for now. If things don't go well for me in the future I got my spot in the ground picked out.
    Yes, one has to plan for that too. I have a little less hassle, as it is fire for me. As they say, dust to dust!

Good to hear that you are doing well.

Curfew extended for 25 more days

"President Danilo Medina maintains current restrictions and extends the curfew for 25 more days, prohibiting the movement of people from 7:00 pm in some provinces, and 8:00 pm in others.

The provision published in decree 298-20 dated August 8, explains that the measure will be reviewed by the new authorities that will take office on August 16,2020.

The measure that seeks to stop the massive contagion of the coronavirus, restricts circulation from Monday to Friday from 7:00 pm to 5:00 am, and on Saturdays and Sundays from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm, in the following geographic demarcations:

1) Santo Domingo 2) Distrito Nacional 3) Santiago 4) San Cristbal 5) La Vega 6) Puerto Plata 7) Duarte 8) San Pedro de Macors 9) La Romana 10) San Juan de la Maguana 11) La Altagracia 12) Azua 13) Monseor Nouel 14) Snchez Ramrez 15) Mara Trinidad Snchez.

In the following geographical areas the curfew is established every day of the week from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am:

1) Espaillat 2) Peravia 3) Barahona 4) Monte Plata 5) Valverde 6) Hermanas Mirabal 7) Monte Cristi 8) Saman 9) Bahoruco 10) Hato Mayor 11) El Seibo 12) Dajaband 13) Santiago Rodrguez 14) San Jos de Ocoa 15) Elas Pia 16) Independencia 17) Pedernales".

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...-25-more-days/

Quote Originally Posted by Tempoecorto  [View Original Post]
    Good to see you back after a long hiatus! Hope life is treating you right in the DR in the middle of the outbreak.
    Yes, my man! I am doing good, for now. If things don't go well for me in the future I got my spot in the ground picked out.

When things opened back up I here in Republica Dominicana I took a step back. Because I needed to prepare for the second wave. I saw it coming like a hanging curve ball. It was a good thing that I did. And I was much better prepared for this SOE than the first one. Yours and Grownman's trip reports were shining examples of what the forum is supposed to be about. Under this second SOE the "toque de queda" is becoming the new normal. You simply put on your mask and plan your day with the 5 AM to 7 PM daytime availability in mind.

This is not Dominican Spanish 101

But yet I am still getting schooled after over 5 years of posting about Republica Dominicana.

Quote Originally Posted by Combo  [View Original Post]
    Alright, I rarely wade into these conversations about Spanish, because some numbskull who knows 15 words in the language inevitably tries to argue with me. Cuarantena means quarantine. Toque de quada is a related concept, but usually refers to a curfew. However, you may hear them used together, because a curfew is frequently a feature of a quarantine. Curfew, OTOH, is an English word and not a Spanish one, and as such I don't know why one would expect a Dominican to use it.
    Since I know more than 15 words of Spanish and actually live on the island I will address your post. I am not fluent but as other off islanders have pointed out I know how to use google. And I use it often.

I never said Dominicans were using the word curfew. My question is why are you asking the question and others making that inaccurate statements? My use of the english language is clear and I am very good at it. But Dominicans use many english words. Anyone (even numbskull off islanders) who have spent any time here on the island knows this.

As for your question I will leave it to your readers to answer or yourself. But since we are asking questions about Spanish language usage can you tell me why they also referred to it as "cuarentena"?

Cuarentena was accurate. Why? Since airports were closed to visitors to the island during the majority of the time the SOE was in force. I guess you missed that part while you were off island.

In my opinion Prtyr post was not intended to share information but to poke fun at me as he has done the entire time he has responded to my posts. Someone told me they have met him and he's is good guy. I just have to take their word for it.

Interesting, I spelled Abinader wrong in my post about COVID-19. I guess you missed that too. Want to tell us about pussy in the DR? My bad! This is not the section for that. Make sure you leave out price so that some do not feel the need to comment on what grown men are paying for pussy.

Did anyone find this spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Prtyr2  [View Original Post]
    Hmmm. Cannot picture it. Car wash pirot is close. Plaza caribe is close and apparently reopened as a night club. Used to be a place briefly on the other side of the elevado but that was years ago. Need to do a trip to villacon and villa agrcola when they lift quarantine.
    Or when they lift curfew? Which is it brother?

Welcome back Prtyr2 I missed your witty repartee. LOL! As for the others file a trip report then talk about my Spanish. Do any of you characters know that the island is open. No "toque de quada":

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeu  [View Original Post]
    La caurentena means quarantine in spanish. Technically they are different concepts, though I'll give you that they tangentially related.
    No cuarentena.

https://www.wordreference.com/es/tra...ord=quarantine

I make mistakes. But, if you are going to correct me get that shit right! Two middle fingers up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quarantine.jpg‎  

Alright, I rarely wade into these conversations about Spanish, because some numbskull who knows 15 words in the language inevitably tries to argue with me. Cuarantena means quarantine. Toque de quada is a related concept, but usually refers to a curfew. However, you may hear them used together, because a curfew is frequently a feature of a quarantine.

Curfew, OTOH, is an English word and not a Spanish one, and as such I don't know why one would expect a Dominican to use it.

Luis Rodolfo Abinader Corona is the president elect of the Dominican Republic.

Thank you for more of your insights on the use of the Spanish language and I will leave your question as a exercise for the readers and yourself. I am surprised we heard nothing from you about where to get the best stake during the "toque de queda". That would have been a useful contribution.

Why would they (Dominicans) also refer to it as a cuarenta?

Posting Limitations