escort directory

Thread: Russian Words and Phrases

+ Add Report
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 294
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
  1. #234

    Caveman-ing your Way!?

    Quote Originally Posted by YummyPL  [View Original Post]
    Speaking even very basic Russian seems to score huge points with many of the Kiev girls. It is definitely worth the effort.
    I'd go a little further than Strav.

    My experience is that having, let's say, a basic grasp of a foreign language can actually be sometimes more advantageous than being fluent.

    Seems to appeal to the nurturing instincts of certain women that I've met.

    All of a sudden, they want to help you a little bit more and are more wiling to bond with you.

    May be because they believe you have an interest in their culture and have made a special effort whereas a more proficient speaker may have a more utilitarian reason for being that good; for example, already living and working there.

    Anyway, this has helped me in the past so keep at it, old boy...

  2. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by YummyPL  [View Original Post]
    Speaking even very basic Russian seems to score huge points with many of the Kiev girls. It is definitely worth the effort.
    Truer words were never spoken.

    I know, you run it through the translator and it comes out "robot". But here you are, talking about meeting some dyevchyonka at a night club, and she starts talking about robots. I think that was probably your first clue.

    Uke Boy,

    It's true, you say tomato and I'll say tomah-toh.

    Nevertheless, grammar is important, particularly for Russian and for those guys who want to meet women for sex most anywhere in Russia or the Ukraine. If we can't discuss the subject of Russian grammar in the "Russian Words and Phrases" thread, then where should we?

  3. #232
    Thank you all. Being pretty much completely self taught (mostly Pimsler, Rosetta Stone, and watching movies) , I have never gotten formal grammar lessons. My confusion was the initial vowel because it did not translate well using a translator. I muddle through reading the endings most of the time.

    Speaking even very basic Russian seems to score huge points with many of the Kiev girls. It is definitely worth the effort.

  4. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsky  [View Original Post]
    Yes, in Ukraine "work" can be робота, instead of работа. My impression is that you were confused about the word endings; работа, работы, работу.

    работа is the noun; the nominative, the thing itself.

    In English, the noun doesn't change much,

    Welcome to the club!
    Stravinsky, since робота and работа are essentially pronounced the same way in spoken Russian and/or Ukrainian, shall we now get into a discussion about аканье and оканье - but let's not. Enough of these Russian grammar lessons.

  5. #230
    Yes, in Ukraine "work" can be робота, instead of работа. My impression is that you were confused about the word endings; работа, работы, работу.

    работа is the noun; the nominative, the thing itself.

    In English, the noun doesn't change much,

    I love work,

    I hate work,

    I am going to work,

    I am without work,

    But in Russian, nouns must be declined to indicate how they are being used in a sentence.

    In your dialogue, Nastya says, "я временно без роботы", (I am, for now, without work). In Russian, negation always takes the Genitive case, so she uses the Genitive ending: роботы.

    When Nastya says, "роботу просто потеряла", (I am out of work), she uses the Accusitive case, роботу, because work is the object of the sentence. The fact that the word роботу comes at the beginning of the sentence makes no difference because syntax is not as important in Russian as it is in English. The meaning is contained in the word itself.

    So, yes, it's the same word, but the ending is spelled differently, depending on how the word is declined.

    But it gets even better, because there are 6 declensions; Nominative, Genitive, Accusative, Locative, Dative and Prepositional. Each one has a specific use and meaning. Many times the endings for each case can be the same, so the only way to know the meaning is through the context.

    Not only that, but numbers are declined as well as proper names.

    Я Карл Маркс (I am Karl Marx)

    Эта картинка Карла Маркса (This is a picture of Karl Marx)

    For yourself, speaking Russian, don't worry, most people just caveman their way through it using the nominative. Most Russians will get your meaning, but they will know you are an иностраннец (foreigner).

    Welcome to the club!

  6. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by YummyPL  [View Original Post]
    Are you saying "to work" is робота and not рaбота?
    робота is the Ukrainian word / spelling and рaбота is the Russian version. Since your friend is in Ukraine, both are correct.

  7. #228
    Are you saying "to work" is робота and not рaбота?

  8. #227
    No, she spelled everything correctly. You have to understand something about Russian: the meaning of the word, or sentence, is not in the syntax, it's in the declension.

    So, for example. . .

    робота, work (nominative)

    без роботы, without work (genitive) In Russian, negation always takes the genitive.

    роботу (accusative)

    Computerized translations of Russian are pretty much worthless, except for the most simple and basic phrases. Idiomatic phrases such as роботу просто потеряла will never translate properly through a computer.

  9. #226
    Stravinsky,

    Thank you for responding. I understand now that she misspelled the word "работа." And the literal translation of the word for "lost" threw me off.

    My knowledge of Russian is lacking but it is getting better. At least I am trying. I am actually writing to Ukrainian girls in Kiev. I let them know my ability is minimal. They don't seem to mind too much.

    I do understand the subtext. Thank you. I am looking to meet her in the next couple of days. She turned 18 only 9 days ago.

    -YPL

  10. #225
    Yummy,

    You are obviously using some kind of a Russian translator, correct? Because I can't believe you are carrying on a conversation like this with a Russian girl and don't know a simple word like робота (work).

    She's saying that she doesn't have any work right now, the sub-text being that she needs someone to pay for her lifestyle.

    The rest is up to you.

  11. #224

    Help Please. Russian

    I was having this conversation with a girl on VK. Can someone help me understand what she is saying at the end? WTF is a "robot"?

    Dave
    Что такое клуах клубах?
    Nastyona
    ну это вроде баров.(бар) там танцуют ,выпивают,знакомятся. там танцуют девушки для развлечения людей.там играет музыка
    Dave
    Wow) В основном для туристов или в основном для местных жителей?)
    Nastyona
    для местных
    Dave
    Может быть, я должен спросить, когда и где, чтобы я мог видеть вас танцевать.)) Я буду ждать, чтобы увидеть, если мы станем друзьями, прежде чем я прошу.
    Nastyona
    я бы конечно сказала где,но я временно без роботы
    Dave
    роботы?
    Nastyona
    да.потеряли
    Dave
    Не понимаю "Роботы"
    Dave
    Разве я сказал что-то не так?
    Nastyona
    нет,всё так. роботу просто потеряла

  12. #223

    Soft (Option) Ware

    Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsky  [View Original Post]
    VG,

    Yes, it is a little ironic that the "International Sex Guide" only allows English. Not only is it exclusive to the English language, but the Roman alphabet as well. A lot of valuable information is being lost simply because Jackson will not allow us to record it.

    You can get around the initial censoring of your post on the upload by going back and editing it, because there is no filter on the edit.

    I think there is no point to appeal to Jackson. The countries where the Roman alphabet is not used will always be at a disadvantage. &1101; &1090; &1086; &1074; &1089; &1077; &1075; &1076; &1072; &1090; &1072; &1082; (it is always this way)

    &1074; &1089; &1077; &1075; &1086; &1076; &1086; &1073; &1088; &1086; &1075; &1086;
    Hi Strav,

    I take the points you make above but I was actually referring to the way that English is edited in the forum.

    In fact, the more correct the form of punctuation that is used, the more chance of it being 'corrected'.

    In other words, distorted!

    (And I do understand the editing feature and use it - begrudgingly - but even some of our regulars seem not to have sussed that out).

    I presume General Jackson paid a tidy amount for this software which makes it all the more puzzling.

    Either way, we all lose out...

  13. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by Gergiev  [View Original Post]
    Don't you think we deserve a break with a new programme?VG
    VG,

    Yes, it is a little ironic that the "International Sex Guide" only allows English. Not only is it exclusive to the English language, but the Roman alphabet as well. A lot of valuable information is being lost simply because Jackson will not allow us to record it.

    Of course, in Jackson's home town, Buenos Aires, the local mongers are free to pepper their posts on Argentina Private with all kinds of Spanish phrases, even short conversations.

    As it is with all things that make no sense, it usually comes down to the profit motive. Jackson understands that we are building a valuable database for him and he wants to make it as search-able as possible. The way to do this is to make it as consistent as possible: in terms of style, punctuation and grammar. This is why the text of every new post is subjected to the Grammatik-Polizei. Which, ironically, just makes the post even more unintelligible.

    You can get around the initial censoring of your post on the upload by going back and editing it, because there is no filter on the edit.

    I think there is no point to appeal to Jackson. The countries where the Roman alphabet is not used will always be at a disadvantage. это всегда так (it is always this way)

    всего доброго

  14. #221

    Software Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by Skwiskwis  [View Original Post]
    If you troll the websites looking for Russian girls to meet here is one of the most important phrases you will need: "&1069; &1090; &1086; &1085; &1072; &1089; &1090; &1086; &1103; &1097; &1080; &1077; &1092; &1086; &1090; &1086; &1075; &1088; &1072; &1092; &1080; &1080;?" (Are the photographs real?)
    Everybody, don't you just hate this software we've been lumbered with for the last few years here.

    I just posted another report in the Czech section and had to go back many times to 'correct the corrections' that Big Brother had imposed on my dispatches.

    Generalissimo Jackson, we've been very patient for the last number of years.

    Don't you think we deserve a break with a new programme?

    VG

  15. #220

    Most Useful Website Question

    If you troll the websites looking for Russian girls to meet here is one of the most important phrases you will need: "&1069; &1090; &1086; &1085; &1072; &1089; &1090; &1086; &1103; &1097; &1080; &1077; &1092; &1086; &1090; &1086; &1075; &1088; &1072; &1092; &1080; &1080;?" (Are the photographs real?)

+ Add Report
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Top Damas


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape